Wayne County Community College District

« See more reviews of Wayne County Community College District

I am 25 years old. I remember as a child how much easier life was for my mother, even though there were seven children in the family. Experiencing life's transition from a child to an adult in this decade is really grounding to say the least. Employment opportunities are few and far between so therefore we have to be crafty and thrifty to succeed while in college. My advice.. attend a small college; maybe a community college with farely cheap prices. Make sure you do your research for these schools. Specifically the cost per credit hour, lab fees, and what other fees you will be charged for. Apply for financial aid once you decide on a school. If the school's prices is decent, you will have a nice remainder of money after the school takes its cut, to live with. you can pay a few bills, buy the kids something nice, invest, whatever you decide. Also study hard and apply yourself. There are many many rewards and scholarships availble for good grades. Network and make lifelong connections for you never know who you're meeting and what you can do for each other. My words of widom!

Plainly put, Val-Marie, you need more than a high school education. I know continuing education was not mentioned or supported in the house while growing up. There would also be the pressure of being the first generation college graduate if your decision is to continue education. It doesn’t matter how many challenges you project in your mind when contemplating a college career. Those projections only make college seem like an impossible mission. Not to mention the harsh reality of having little to no financial support. What an overbearing decision to make! I know my opinion may not have been a factor in your final decision. You probably never imagined a conversation like this could exist. As fascinating as this experience is for the both of us, we must realize, I’m only an older you given the opportunity to go back in time. This is not a divine intervention; however, let us treat it as some of the best advice we’ve ever received. Enroll in community college, expand your mind, and find an interesting path. Let our open-minded approach to life lead us to find a true passion.

In highschool, I was an honor student throughout my senior year. The oldest of four siblings, I felt that school was the job I needed to maintain well, for my mother- a sinlge parent. The only thing I ever missed was a social life. I yearned to be recognized and fit in, just as most teens do. My transition into highschool was difficult for me because I was different- being the second parent helping raise one sister and two brothers. Therefore, while I focused on my academics I was not very well accepted in the social classes of highschool. Knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, I would definitely tell my high school self that I made the right choice then to get me here in college today- pusuing academia that I enjoy. I would remind my high school self about what have learned in anthropology, cultural anthropology, sociology, and psychology- the world will always be full of opportunities to socialize. I know now, that I made the right decision to stay focused and now I have plenty of time for friends- I am that cool kid.

Are you ready for greatness? if so, make sure you take an account of all you're being taught here at this level because you will need it entering college. You're going to be responsible for what you learn in college, so its going to be important for to stay focus and have a learning system that can help you excel in college. In college your teacher is their to provide you with all of the information needed for you to learn, but it's going to be up to you how you retain it. If you're looking at college as an escape from your parents or freedom to stay out and party, I advise you to stay home and get a job, because most freshman's who think this way end up flunking out of college because they saw themselves thriving on campus and didn't prepare how to thrive in class. Now that your're making the decision which college to attend make sure you're making the decision based on what you have to offer the school as a resposible individual that will enhance the school academically, socially, and professionally upon graduating.

I would say to myself, "Freshman year in college is the review of all high school learning experiences. You are going to revisit what you have learned, but what makes it college is that you gain so much more knowledge in so many different areas and apects." This would be to open my mind on the expectations of my first impresssion of college. I would also tell myself, "Go to college directly after graduation instead of following the trend of 'taking a break'. Once you become comfortable on your mini-vacation, its very easy to become distracted and even start to drift away from the idea of going back to school." One of the most important pieces of advice I could give myself would be to go into college with an open mind. "In college the decisions are yours entirely, you can chose your classes, choose your career path, most importantly choose your destiny." All in all I believe the message I will be getting across to myself is to go into college with the mindset that I can, and I will succeed in my educational journey.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to have better time management, apply for more scholarships, and apply to more schools. There were so many scholarships that I missed because I did not know how to manage my time. As of now I am doing those scholarships that I missed. I may not receive none but when I apply I do have a chance than not appying at all. As far as colleges I had my mind set on one university. I did get accepted but I refused to take out a loan. Applying to more colleges or universities would have incresed my chances of coming across a shool where it could have been free to attend. However, If I could go back I would still go to a community college because I learned so much in a smaller college setting. My social skills are better and I've discovered more about myself. Coming out of high school I was very introverted and basically was not enjoying life, all I knew was chool. Now with better time management I can do more.

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would first give high school me a hug and tell her that everything is going to work out wonderfully. I would then tell myself that paying for college is a lot harder then we first thought but to remember that the government can reposes everything BUT your education, so don?t hesitate when it comes to those student loans. Also I would tell high school me how to go about getting third party student loans to make up for what our parents can?t pay, even though FASFA thinks they can. Moreover I would tell her that when she was thinking about transferring to a four year college to apply to more than one and to look into scholarships at all that she applied at. I would let myself know that study habits are key, and that she won?t get good grades if she doesn?t study and read the material. The last thing I would tell high school me is to enjoy college when she gets there, and not to stress about the little things.

If I could go back in time to when i was a senior, i would have applied to so many scholarships and i wouldn't have made all of the mistakes i've made in highschool period. i would have been a much better student because i was really good, but not good enough. i would have choosen the right friends who would boost me up and help choose the right paths in life. i would have studied way more than i did in my senior year. Even though i graduated with a 3.2 G.P.A, i still could have done better. Oh! I would have listened to my parents more when they told me over and over again to look at scholarships because they would get me in the college i wanted to go to. Sometimes i actually wished there was a time machine to where I could go back in time and relive my life.I would have changed a lot of things in my life period but i do not regret anything because i love who i am now. Sometimes you have to experience things and bump your head to realize real life. Choose Me.

My senior year was the greatest year of my life so far. I was extremely active and extremely competive in sports but I wish I could say the same about my studies and my grades. I was a swimmer and a golfer. I made it easily to states in both sports. I had college coaches looking at me when I hit the golf ball and even more when I flew through the water. My swim coach was a Wayne State Universtiy alumni and teammate to the Men's swimming and diving team. The last meet of the season came and the coach from WSU had shown up to watch. After the meet he said there would be a spot on the team for me. I was more excited then I've ever been, week's later I got a letter in the mail saying I wasn't accepted because of my grades. Now year's later with much better grades, a 3.3 to be exact, I am now applying to WSU again. I am more mature and more grown up, I know what needs to be done, but I know my financials are not up to par. Thank you

I would first tell myself to stop waiting around and get on the internet to look for scholarships! I'd also tell myself not to cut myself short on a class simpily because it's difficult or I don't like the subject (math in particular), and get it out the way earlier on. I reckon it'll be much easier to that way (for me anyways). Procrastination was a bad habit of mine in HS, and a rather hard one to break, so I would also tell myself to drop that habit ASAP as doing that in college is only ASKING for a world of stress! Lastly I would tell myself to stop cutting my education short by doing just enough to get by and go beyond what I think I'm able to, even if that means an extra hour or two away from the Playstation.