Detroit, MI
Wayne State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Wayne State University

Brennan

Over the years, Wayne State has been taking steps to shed its reputation as a "commuter school" lost in the depths of Detroit. For students who choose to live on campus, life is getting a bit more enjoyable. There are more food options available in the later hours and a visible effort to create events for students both off and on campus. Academically, the university makes pursuing higher education possible for many, many students. With flexible admissions standards, a wider range of students are able to begin their undergraduate careers. However, Wayne State University must to take greater steps at making students feel safe and welcomed in their academic environment. Students are given the chance to make it to college and experience rigorous curricula but are not given the academic and financial support to continue beyond their first year.

Bailey

As a Freshman just this year, reviewing is tough. I have visited campus 3 times and am moving in to my housing just tomorrow! I visited many college campuses this past year trying to make my decision and found Wayne to have all the positive attributes I was seeking for my future goals. I will never forget at Orientation THE nicest young lady, who was at the registration desk, took personal interest in me and exchanged contact info so when school begins we can get together. That one small personal touch was wonderful and gave me a sense of fellowship before I even begin! I am from a small town, so it is a bit intimidating coming to such a large city as an "adult" who still feels the pangs of my teen years I am leaving behind me in my comfy little bedroom. This anxiety however, is not to be matched by my excitement for my future and the great experience living in such a wonderful metropolis will hopefully bring. I am very much looking forward to learning, not only in classroom but in culture and experiences outside my own "little box." The campus is beautiful and walking down through it you can see the "old culture" mixed in with the "new technology". I am a bit nostalgic so seeing the old with the new makes me happy! Looking forward to really making my life a success and Wayne State is the first step out the gate to doing just that!

Teshima

Wayne State is a great school for those who are used to large classes and doesn't need personal attention.

Robin

I think that Wayne State University is a great college to go to. The student body is more diverse than your average predominantly white institution. The lectures are usually not that big and neither are the labs and/or discussion classes. Instructors, from my experience are usually an email or office hour away and they usually respond to your emails as early as the next morning;

Amber

I love it! I ALWAYS feel safe on campus, and if for some reason I don't, we have a program where I can call the campus police, who are actual sworn-in Detroit Police Officers and have them escort me to where I need to go on campus. Having a police escort, especially walking to the parking garages at night is a huge comfort. The atmosphere and camaraderie of the students in the Theatre Department is amazing. We all root for one another and work to build an ensemble state of mind. The professors are knowledgeable and helpful. That being said, I think that for a department within the College of Fine, Performing, and Communication Arts, the communication bit would be better in our department than throughout the rest of the colleges. That isn't the case. If I would've known some of the hurdles I would have to jump through to get my voice heard and to get honest treatment (in pertinence to grades and assignments), I may not have chosen Wayne State. While Wayne State offers many transfer incentives in the form of scholarships and discounted tuition, they don't have the best transfer program in place, especially in the Theatre Department. If you transfer with an associates and no theatre classes, it will be impossible for you to graduate within 2 more years because the classes are all offered at the same time and only during certain semesters, making it impossible to bulk up too much, or impossible to meet the minimum 12 credit hours if you already have all of your pre-reqs done. I also hate that you have to pay for parking. Overall, if I had to choose again, I still probably would've chosen Wayne State because of the friends I've made there. For the most part, the faculty have been helpful and kind, and my peers have been amazing. For that reason, I gave it 4 out of 5 stars. Wayne State definitely has some flaws, but what school doesn't?

Ljiza
Wayne state university

Wayne state university

Dana
Wayne State University - A Detroit Gem.

Wayne State University - A Detroit Gem.

Wayne State University (WSU) is an excellent school in terms of its academic opportunities. It's a nationally recognized research university, so you can bet it has its name out there. The university is located in Detroit's midtown district, which is not far from downtown. While the campus life isn't extravagant, it's quite exciting. The university has a very "urban" feel to it. Some people have expressed to me that they don't like the university because they felt the campus was "dirty"-- whatever that means. I think they just aren't accustomed to the urban life. If you're not comfortable with homeless people roaming about the campus, then this school isn't for you. And, I think like any other school campus, it is not safe to walk around alone at night! If there's ever a time you stay late at school and need to walk to your car which is parked quite far from the main campus, ask for a police escort--don't forget, this school is in Detroit and Detroit isn't the safest place. There's plenty of student organizations to join and it's quite easy to start an organization. I was a part of a couple organizations and I loved it. My personal opinion, WSU is a good school. During my breaks between classes I'd venture out to downtown and explore Detroit, which I looked forward to. Most of my professors were helpful and sweet. You will get a professor that doesn't speak English well, but you'll get used to their accent.

Craig
Wayne State Review

Wayne State Review

Wayne State University is located in the heart of Midtown Detroit, just a short drive away from Downtown. Although Detroit has a tendency to be a dangerous place to live, Wayne State's campus in incredibly safe. The environment is very conducive to learning. There is a strong focus on active community involvement, the results of which are very apparent to students and residents. Detroit has been making a lot of progress over the last couple of years, and there is still much more opportunity for growth. It is an exciting time to come to Wayne State, focus on how you want to improve the world around you and then translate what you learn in the classroom directly to the very real problems facing our community.

Wayne State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.