Detroit, MI
Wayne State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Wayne State University

Amber

I love it! I ALWAYS feel safe on campus, and if for some reason I don't, we have a program where I can call the campus police, who are actual sworn-in Detroit Police Officers and have them escort me to where I need to go on campus. Having a police escort, especially walking to the parking garages at night is a huge comfort. The atmosphere and camaraderie of the students in the Theatre Department is amazing. We all root for one another and work to build an ensemble state of mind. The professors are knowledgeable and helpful. That being said, I think that for a department within the College of Fine, Performing, and Communication Arts, the communication bit would be better in our department than throughout the rest of the colleges. That isn't the case. If I would've known some of the hurdles I would have to jump through to get my voice heard and to get honest treatment (in pertinence to grades and assignments), I may not have chosen Wayne State. While Wayne State offers many transfer incentives in the form of scholarships and discounted tuition, they don't have the best transfer program in place, especially in the Theatre Department. If you transfer with an associates and no theatre classes, it will be impossible for you to graduate within 2 more years because the classes are all offered at the same time and only during certain semesters, making it impossible to bulk up too much, or impossible to meet the minimum 12 credit hours if you already have all of your pre-reqs done. I also hate that you have to pay for parking. Overall, if I had to choose again, I still probably would've chosen Wayne State because of the friends I've made there. For the most part, the faculty have been helpful and kind, and my peers have been amazing. For that reason, I gave it 4 out of 5 stars. Wayne State definitely has some flaws, but what school doesn't?

Ljiza
Wayne state university

Wayne state university

Dana
Wayne State University - A Detroit Gem.

Wayne State University - A Detroit Gem.

Wayne State University (WSU) is an excellent school in terms of its academic opportunities. It's a nationally recognized research university, so you can bet it has its name out there. The university is located in Detroit's midtown district, which is not far from downtown. While the campus life isn't extravagant, it's quite exciting. The university has a very "urban" feel to it. Some people have expressed to me that they don't like the university because they felt the campus was "dirty"-- whatever that means. I think they just aren't accustomed to the urban life. If you're not comfortable with homeless people roaming about the campus, then this school isn't for you. And, I think like any other school campus, it is not safe to walk around alone at night! If there's ever a time you stay late at school and need to walk to your car which is parked quite far from the main campus, ask for a police escort--don't forget, this school is in Detroit and Detroit isn't the safest place. There's plenty of student organizations to join and it's quite easy to start an organization. I was a part of a couple organizations and I loved it. My personal opinion, WSU is a good school. During my breaks between classes I'd venture out to downtown and explore Detroit, which I looked forward to. Most of my professors were helpful and sweet. You will get a professor that doesn't speak English well, but you'll get used to their accent.

Craig
Wayne State Review

Wayne State Review

Wayne State University is located in the heart of Midtown Detroit, just a short drive away from Downtown. Although Detroit has a tendency to be a dangerous place to live, Wayne State's campus in incredibly safe. The environment is very conducive to learning. There is a strong focus on active community involvement, the results of which are very apparent to students and residents. Detroit has been making a lot of progress over the last couple of years, and there is still much more opportunity for growth. It is an exciting time to come to Wayne State, focus on how you want to improve the world around you and then translate what you learn in the classroom directly to the very real problems facing our community.

Paige

Wayne State University is unique in that it has such an eclectic and diverse school population and amidst the bankruptcy and poverty, there is a student community that is thriving and willing to bring back the beauty and toughness of Detroit.

I would tell my high school self to go to the University that offers the most or best scholarships and to pick a University that is known for it's academics. College is a blast, but in the long run, you need to focus on what is in your best interest for the future.

I wish I would have known that the University does not prepare you enough for all of the demands and things you have to know when you enter the workforce, particularly School Social Work.

Lamont

Apply for scholarships, research cost of attendance, and expect the unexpected.

Apply for scholarships, research cost of attendance, and expect the unexpected.

As a member of an ethnic minority, I often find myself frequently evaluating the diversity of my surroundings. There have been numerous situations in which I have felt out of place because of the lack of diversity. However, Wayne State University epitomizes the definition of diversity and this is pleasantly accompanied by the comfort of acceptance. Consequently, I have never had any issue with discrimination or stereotyping. This school has consistently made me feel welcome regardless of the ethnic makeup of a particular class or group.

Honestly, I wish I would have known more about the vast amount of scholarships available to students. Although, loans enable one to pursue their educational goals often those loans are not enough to cover living expenses even at a modestly costing school. As a result I ended up having to balance a full time job and a full time course load. Therefore, if I could advise someone on the best thing to do to prepare for college it would be to secure as many scholarships as possible especially if your family is not able to help out.

Shelby

Slowly turning Detroit around with the help of students spreading good things about the area.

That I can take my classes without heading downtown, which makes it a lot easier on me.

Wayne State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.