Detroit, MI
Wayne State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Wayne State University

Jolene

Culturally, Wayne State is best known for being in the heart of Detroit. On campus there is a juxtaposition of poverty and wealth. Across the street from campus in one direction lies the Detroit Institute of Arts. In another direction there lies an abandoned building that looks as though it should be condemned. This creates a fantastic opportunity to bring education and light to an otherwise dark city.

When I started college, my biggest mistake was isolation. I felt overwhelmed by a big school, lots of people, new classes, etc., so I did not reach out to make many friends. I relied on friends I had from high school and home, as well as my boyfriend. I sheltered myself and missed out on a lot of opportunities to meet new people and experience new things. I would telly myself to get involved in something, whether it be a sport, club, activity, it doesn't really matter. Just be involved. Make friends. Don't just stay home and do homework all of the time. There are many ways to make a large school feel smaller; Being involved in something and developing a group of friends is one way to make that happen.

I brag most about the location. There are plenty of things to do, see, and experience.

Paige

Our research is rated Carnegie one meaning top research in michigan passing Michigan and Michigan State.

As a college junior, I have matured a lot since I was a high school senior. If I could go back, I would tell myself to not always work too hard because I missed out on some of the social experience. I was also very shy and so it was hard to connect to many of my classmates. The most important piece of advice I would give myself is to start the college scholarship search even sooner! I started while I began my college career at a community college. At that time, my family did not need the extra help financing my education. Now I am attending a 4 year university and am struggling to pay the bills. I would of applied much sooner if I knew how much of a struggle it is to pay for a 4 year university.

Someone who has a focus in the arts should attend our next door university (CCS) and those who are not willing to work hard should not waste there money.

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

My school is right in Mid-town, Detroit and is mostly for medical, business, and law students. It is known for its great diversity and sorta dangerous area when you step off campus. Overall, a good school and cool that its 2 miles from downtown

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

There really isn't one and when there is, the team probably isn't good.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

Because it's close enough to go home every couple weekends and kinda affordable

Tell us about your professors.

My professors are usually raw asians that got hired by the school from a different country. Good luck learning when you can't even understand them.

Its not really a campus tradition but I go to the Mort Harris RFC every day and workout. I also teach yoga in the residence halls.

When you step off campus what do you see?

Let's just say... don't wander too far off campus... unless you want to die or get mugged that is...

I don't drink. Will it be hard for me to go to parties?

No, no one really gives you free alcohol its all BYOB anyways and they don't really care if you do or not. Just carry a solo cup with water in it and no one will know. But MSU and Michigan on the other hand.......

What's the hardest thing about freshman year?

Freshman year is all pre-req courses which are frustrating because they're usually so easy it hurts but then you have a ridiculously large amount of useless homework. Also, I had to get a room change because my roommates were an unacceptable amount of different from me. Talk about a mean pair or girls.

The stereotype is all African American and Indian people, with an occasional white person. This stereotype overall is correct, but that doesn't make anyone a bad or good person. Everyone is different but can come together to be friends if they want.

The most popular groups are Greek Life and Residential Advisory groups. As I am in Greek Life, I understand the other sororities and fraternities and we all participate in on-campus events top promote different philanthropies and benefit the community where as the residential advisors are the main ones usually on campus attempting to keep everyone in check in the housing community.

The academics are widely-varied but not as diverse as you may think. It really is ridiculous how just because they refuse to override a simple less-than-highschool math class because they want more money from a dedicated student. They truly are selfish when it comes to having a waste of time/money gaining class course list.

Adorabol

My school has a small farmer's market on the school's ground, along with a few other shops, including a flower shop. Also, it is directly across the street from a Public Library, so if you can't find what you are looking for in the school's library have no fear the Main Detroit Public Library is near. Lastly, it is in walking distance from the Detroit Art institution, Detroit Science Center, Charles H. Wright Museum, The Fox Theatre, The Tigers Baseball stadium, Ford Field - home of the Lions, downtown Detroit and much more.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the parking situation. To park near the school you have to park at a meter. You must have enough change for the meter and you are forced to run back and forth to the meter to put money in it to prevent you from getting a parking ticket. My school's parking structures are expensive and far from the school ground. By the time you walk from the parking structure to the school you are tired and ready to go to sleep.

Carla

I would talk myself into picking the correct career and be well informed of the requirements to completing the courses. Read more about a variety of colleges. Prepare for college by gaining good test taking skills, study habits, and pacing myself for class. assignments.

Wayne State University has good instructors that are willing to help you succeed. Plenty of restaurants and college activities to have an awesome college life. Great internships with the opportunity to find jobs and meet career goals.

A person that is not energetic and serious about learning should not attend Wayne State Unviersity. Students attending Wayne State University have to gain good study habits because the courses are rigorous. Every student is responsible for their education and if you want to blame everyone else this is not the school for you. If you don't like to attend classes and on time this is not the school for you. Every student is expected to attend classes on time and with motivation to learn.

Mirvat

Classmates were serious adults working towards a goal, no one was there to waste time or money.

I would definitely tell myself that I should enjoy every moment learning and try my very best to benefit from everything my teachers/professors were trying to teach me. It seemed like I was always in a rush to take the courses and finish. I looked at college as a "tedious task." I would tell myself to not look at going to college as a chore but to be more actively engaged in my learning process and to be more inquisitive. I would tell myself "Choose a career that you see not only yourself doing for the rest of your life, rather a career where you can't see yourself living without. Don't choose a career that you think would be easy for you, rather choose a career that you know is going to challenge you because challenges are healthy and they help you reach your maximum potential. Be serious about going to college/university and DON'T TAKE TIME OFF; that may set you up for failure. Nothing is ever too hard, if you put your mind to it, you can do it! Where there is a will, there's a way. ENJOY ever minute of it!"

I brag about how much I learned, the high quality of expectations by the professors and courses were very benefical.

Moving out is a great opportunity for people to grow and make new friends, but it's not for everyone. It's certainly not for you. Stop rushing to get away and start appreciating your family (and free food and lodging) more. A lot of anxiety comes from starting college, and without friends and family around you it's hard to handle. You are going to be much happier commuting and staying closer to you friends, family, and job. Make sure you talk to someone the first day of every class, you'll make some amazing friends that way. Don't be self conscious if you end up eating alone in the cafeteria - nobody is judging you. Your classes may seem pointless sometimes, but I promise that you will learn a ton of stuff in every one. Not just about that subject, but about yourself and people around you and life. Don't skip classes, you're mssing out and your grade will drop. Also, don't date that one guy. What are you even thinking? Good luck, and have fun discovering who you are.

People who like to stick to a small, particular social group should not attend WSU. The atmosphere is more one of blending than of cliques. It would also be difficult for people with strong prejudice due to the highly diverse student body, but it may help open their minds and be good for them.

Anyone who wants a quality education, loves Detroit, and enjoys a diverse and friendly atmosphere should attend Wayne State. It is a great place for people straight out of high school, transfer students, and older adults returning to school alike.

Cathryn

Wayne State is a great school to give you a huge campus experience without actually being a "huge" campus.

Listen, high school-me, I'm here to tell you to get your act together and to get off your high horse. I know that you're getting good grades and are basically breezing through high school, but you need to abandon that cocky attitude that you have. That "I'm coasting through high school, I'll do the same in college" attitide. It's a very ignorant way of thinking. You don't even study. I get it, you're smart, but you have to put more effort into your school career, because-take my word for it-college is a completely different ballgame. You CANNOT coast through these college courses, it's not as easy as you think. If you keep going on the way you are now, you WILL fail! You will lose your scholarship and will be on academic probation. I know that I'm being hard on you, but you need to hear this. You're really smart, so start actually applying yourself. Pick up a book. Study. Spend time looking over your notes. If you do this, there will be nothing stopping you from accomplishing your goals. You can do it, kid...trust me.

If you are looking to pursue a music degree, it's best if you not attend Wayne State.

Dear young, naive Kayla, Don’t take life so seriously. Confidence is key (or the appearance of confidence) even when you’re falling apart inside and about to throw up. Smile more. You will make hundreds, maybe even thousands of mistakes… THEY ARE NOT THE END OF THE WORLD. Your high school love will not last. There is not one person on this earth who doesn’t grow into someone new from age 14 to19. Always look at the bright side of things. Being so dismal all the time really brought you down as a person. Go for it. Really spend your time focusing not on high school grades, but finding out who you are and what you’re interested in. Don’t hesitate. Enjoy the sheer simplicity of football games, friends, dances and school spirit while you can. It is truly the best time of your life. Please, please do not eat that sub sandwich from the cafeteria on January 14th. Food poisoning was horrendous. And most importantly…never once doubt yourself. I guess you can say clichés are meant for more than graduation speeches and wedding toasts.

There is alot of diversity

Wayne State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.