Detroit, MI
Wayne State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Wayne State University

Scott

When I chose to attend college, I was so lost with almost virtually no guidance whatsoever. With neither parents having a high school diploma, I came to this conclusion and said to myself - "I know college is the right thing to do. I don’t know exactly what to do or how to do it, but I guess I’ll just have to figure it out.” I moved out when I was 16, went around to local garage sales, found a bicycle for transportation, got a job, and got way from all the negativity at home. One of the things I wish I would have been better prepared for was getting involved with various social organizations. I believe I could have met positive people therein, who could have helped me along the way with various questions about honors programs, scholarships, and what to aim for. I would also advise myself to be cautious of making friends, even when I would enter the university. Just because certain individuals are enrolled in college, it does not mean that they are necessarily a positive influence on your future goals.

The best quality that my university has to offer is diversity. Wayne State University is statistically one of the most diverse universities in the nation, and can therefore open doors to many students who wonder about academia and how it envelopes the world, as (theoretically) opposed to students who attend a university composed of only a single-dominant ethnicity/race.

I have not heard too many great things departments such as History, Fine Arts, Music, Geography or Social Work. I would definitely say that the student who is pursuing fields like math, engineering, medical school or language should at least consider it. This school is known to be technical, above all.

Tyeisha

Many different people from all walks of life, with one commom goal.

Many different people from all walks of life, with one commom goal.

Wayne State is in the middle of Detroit, this provides a unique learning experience because when you are on campus it is as if you are in a small town where everyone knows everyone else, but when you leave campus you are in a large urban environment.

I would tell the high school me to believe in myself, the abilities I have, and what I have to offer others. I would tell myself to not worry so much about the level other people are on but to work to reach my own personal best.

Diamond

My classmates are very helpful and involved.

My classmates are very helpful and involved.

I would tell myself to pay more attention in biology and chemistry, because they are now my two weakest subjects in college.

The kind of person that isn't serious about school, because the cost of attendance is so high that everyone should come to this school with a plan!

Wayne State is known for it's oldest building Old Maine, which is awesome bit really confusing all in one. It is the art building and has some really cool departments there. We have many different colleges all around campus (such as education, engineering, performing arts, liberal arts, law, ect.) The student center and UGL are at the center of campus. We also have staff buildings and small houses with staff in them. The dorms are more on one side of the campus and the apartments you can rent are all around campus. We have the DIA, Historical Museum, Bonstell Theatre, Hillberry Theatre and the Magestic all around campus. Greektown and Tigers stadium is also real close to home. We have a lot to offer here.

What are some hot-button issues on campus?

Everyone here HATES the financial aid office. They are terribly slow at EVERYTHING and often loose way to much paperwork then needed. They get it wrong a lot too, and I know some students who had a full ride but somehow had to pay extra, so really pay attention to your fees. Crime can be high sometimes too. So make sure you are smart being on campus. There is a ton of cops around, just don't be stupid and leave your computer at the UGL, or your purse at the student center. Make good decisions and be more cautious at night.

One thing I really love is during the Spring when all the flowers and trees bloom, campus is BEAUTIFUL! It is honestly my favorite part of the day to walk down Cass and just look at all the trees and flowers opening up in the sun. It's funny how everyone stereotypes Detroit to be "dangerous" but really Wayne State is a lot more gorgeous then my hometown.

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

A place that is safe within its own community. A place to learn and succeed for the future. Teachers that try their best to help you reach your academic goals. A place to meet all different types of people with many different backgrounds. Wayne State is the place to build and create the person you've always wanted to be.

College is nothing like high school. So be prepared! Get together your goals and really think about what you would like your career to be. It saves time and potientially money down the road, so I highly suggest it. Make friends with people in your class, don't be to reserved because it helps to have study buddies in your classes. Make sure to participate in your classes as well. The more you do, the more the teacher will respect you and know you are trying. Overall, you really have to give it your all to do well.

I always enjoy the spirit days, when everyone shows their Wayne State pride! Everyone is out, different organizations, dance groups, ballons, banners, ect! It is so fun to walk around and see what Wayne State has to offer, and not to mention free things they have are awesome too!

Describe a typical weekend.

Well since I don't live on campus I don't have a lot of knowledge on weekends in the D. But usually there is a party or something going on either Friday or Saturday night and the rest of it is pretty chill. Homework, hanging out with friends, simple stuff like that from my expierence being there. Clubs are open too, along with Coaches, which a lot of people go to thrusday night. We do alsp have Thrusday's in the D, with a bunch of different activites for WSU students to do with your Onecard! Those can be really fun.

What's the dating scene like?

A lot of people meet their special other either from classes or from parties. I would suggest really making friends with people who have something in common with you (such as a class or hobby, ect.) and once you do that it is really easy to find someone. Frat parties usually have a lot of people there to mingle and what not, so if you really want to find someone that would probably be a good place to do so and other than that there are so many people you can meet on campus.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The UGL or the Prudy Kresage Library are the best places to study. The UGL has an all silent floor on the 3rd floor, while the second has more group study rooms and a more hush studying part of the library and the first floor is probably the most social one. If you really need some quiet time though, I would suggest the Prudy Kresage library. It's so quiet you wouldn't know anyone was in there.

What do people really wear to class?

SWEATS! Most people are very comfertable and wear whatever they want to wear. We have so many different people with different religous beliefs that require a specific type of dress and that here is not looked down upon or seen as weird at all. At college you have the right to be yourself so wear whatever makes you most happy!

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

This is completely up to you. I would suggest once or twice a week, but if you need to call once a day then go ahead. A lot of the time your schedule is part of a reoccuring routine. So unless something big happens and you need to call home, you probably wont. And a lot of the parents understand that. It is just a part of growing up.

Do you feel like you changed a lot?

Yes and no. College is a brand new experience in many different ways. You no longer have the comfort of knowing everyone in your classes. Your old friends go to different schools and unless you are very close and can't live without them, you don't talk. That part is sad, losing people that meant so much to you before. But the good part is you make many different kinds of friends, ones that don't just live around the block, but ones that are from all over the country. Another thing that changed for me was my priorites. Getting a job on campus really pushes me to do good in school and make sure I am always there at work. College life is a lot more busy then high school life. But I think all the changes I made were really important for me because I am finding out I can do a lot more than I had thought. College makes me independent more than ever before, which is a great thing!

Tell us about your professors.

My professors are AWESOME! Over my short year here I have met some very impactful people. Don't get me wrong, some of them I can't stand but a most will go out of their way to help you if you need it. But be careful of the lectures! You really have to come to class prepared to pay attention and if you aren't you might have some difficulties. My favorite class so far would be my spanish 1 class, with Professor Brender. He would always teach us funny things to ask people that would help us remember key ideas. He always told us, "If the most stupid person in Mexico can speak spanish, so can you!" I have been very pleased with many of my professors and depending on the one you get, you should be too.

I don't drink. Will it be hard for me to go to parties?

Depending on the parties you go to, you shouldn't. Everyone is really accepting at Wayne and if you don't drink you wont get looked down upon. It's your choice and if you would prefer to watch sober as everyone else does hilarous things drunk, then go ahead. There's a chance you might have a little trouble at the frat parties, but all the guys are really cool and if you can have fun with out drinking, you will fit right in.

To really narrow down my studies. Everyone told me I had time, but I realized I wasted some money on classes I didn't even need. I wish someone would have told me to really pick and narrow down y career aspects and then choose my classes based on the classes needed for those programs. That could have saved me time and money.

What do students complain about most?

Everyone is different, so I wouldn't say there is just one thing that people complain about most. Financial aid can sometimes be a problem though. The administration takes a long time to process things, so I would suggest getting it in early. I know a couple of people that told me they lost their information, so at times Wayne State's people can be very slow and responding to problems.

No, not at all! Each and every person is unique and comes from a different background! Wheither you drive or live on campus there are so many people that have similar intrests as you and are still completely different from yourself. Get to know the people in your classes! I have some life long friends that go there, one of them I even met at orientation.

Since Detroit is more ghetto-fabulous, a lot of people think they are going to a run-down college. That everyone is black and is going to try to steal your money. I have a lot of people ask me if I ever feel scared while on campus, and I can't help but laugh at how wrong a lot of people are on their judgements. Remember not to judge a book by its cover!

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

A day I will never forget will have to be cultural day. At Wayne, they had all the different cultural groups sell food and different items from their country. They had a stage with with different types of music being sung and was overall just a really cool feeling. The food was great, the traditions were interesting and informative and it was a great way to learn outside of the classroom!

Describe the dorms.

Since I am a driver to school I don't have too much information on the dorms, but I have slept in them many times before. In my oppinion they are nice. The actual dorm you get can be a single to a quad, and the rooms are pretty spacious. They have a bathroom in them, so you dont have to go down the hall to shower, which I think is nice. They can get kind of crowded with two people, but as long as you have a sensable roommate it isn't so bad at all. The one thing about dorms is the fire alarm does get pulled about 4 times a year and usually early in the morning. Many people hate that the most about them. The dorms also are very strict on how many people can spend the night. As a resident you only get 6 over night visitors a month and as long as you have some sort of ID, you get a print out paper with your name saying its okay to be in the buildings. IF you are looking into dorms, I would suggest looking for an apartment, they tend to be cheaper.

When you step off campus what do you see?

When you step off campus things can get scary at times. Wayne State is kind of like it's own world a side from the rest of Detroit. Once you step out of it, you realize that you actually are in Detroit. There are homeless people and some run down buildings, but other than that it's just a normal town.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

My mom worked at Wayne State for 35 years and as a kid I would always go with her to work. I've loved Wayne State since I was little and really wanted to go here for college. I am definitly a musical person and with all the different types of theatres and art around me, how could I resisit?

Andrew

Students at my school come from many walks of life, cultures, backgrounds, and cities. There is no student that should feel out of place at Wayne, because you will most definitely meet someone just like yourself here. In class students wear what every they choose to wear; since this isn't a private school there isn't really a subjugation on dress or attire. I would say most students are either from the suburbs and the city of Detroit itself. Also, the students who are there to go on to later professional degrees or graduate school are the students who are politically aware. Also are the students who are in the Irvin D. Reid Honors College!

The stereotype of students at my University include African American individuals from the Detroit area. Some people may think Wayne State is "ghetto" however that stereotype is rather inaccurate to some level. There are a vast variety of cultures, races, and ethnic groups that can be found on campus. These range from a good amount of people who live and commute from the suburban Metro-Detroit area. Arabic students, Indian students, Asian students, and the list goes on. In terms of Greek Life at Wayne State, there are only a few frats and sororities. Our school, I would say is filled with bright minded individuals, most of whom are planning on going to medical school or are doing pre-medicine in their undergraduate years.

Melanie

I love Wayne State I feel that there is a very diverse campus life and that there are a lot of resources. It is a pretty big campus and there is a lot of walking involved but it is interesting that they all look different and to know that a majority of them were donated to the University and have a history behind them. A couple things I would change or want improved I believe is more security walking around, sometimes its easy to get nervous walking around downtown with so many other people that are not from Wayne State being able to be amoungst us. I will see bums sometimes right next to student buildings and this can sometimes make me uneasy. But overall Wayne State is a great school, has a pretty nice students, and I love the diversity of Teachers as well.

Sometimes there is a stereotype that people that go to Wayne State may be "ghetto", but no matter were someone is coming from when they go to Wayne State they are already on the right path and everyone there is seeking a better education and career. We are a diverse campus from all different types of backgrounds so to say that people coming to Wayne State are "ghetto" is not accurate because by being at this University, no matter the means we are all privaleged and ready to improve our standard of living. Just come into the campus with an open mind and know that no stereotype could possibly describe such a massive group of people and that people are coming from different backgrounds, but we are all Wayne State Warriors.

Tell us about your professors.

I love the professors at Wayne State they are so diverse and are very educated and really know they are talking about. There is a difference between the younger professors and older professors. The younger ones sometimes cuss and try to relate to the students on a more personal level. While older professors seems to be more experienced and while still encouraging class discussion they seem more educated and technical. Altogether I have loved all of my teachers and they have all made me interested in the subjects they were teaching. They are always available through email and office hours and if you put the effort forth to get a good grade and ask questions they are more than willing to help you out.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to go to Wayne State because it was the best school for Social Work which is the major I am pursuing. I like the fact that they have a "School of Social Work" specializing in that area. Also, the fact that it is downtown is exciting and really makes me feel I am walking around a big campus that is rich with history and culture.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The best place to get stuff done would have to be the UGL Library there are different levels for laptop stations, computers are offered, there is a library of books, there are different rooms available for group study and it is a quiet and resourceful area.

The students at Wayne State are pretty diverse, and encompass people with ethnicities from all over the world. Most students wear casual clothing and a some even dress up with heels and dresses. It seems like there are students from all different types of socio-economic backgrounds and a lot of them seem to hang out with other students with similar backgrounds. I would say that middle class seems to be the most prevelant. Its also pretty obvious that a lot of students are politically active especially those that are a part of on-campus student activities and are always at tables asking people to join a cause. There are also a lot of different religious students mostly Christian and Muslim and everyone seems to respect eachothers beliefs and are non-judgemental.

This school is great so far I have enjoyed almost every Teacher that I have had. There is a great diversity in both age and etnicity amongst the staff. I have found that the younger Teachers are more casual and try to relate more to the students. With most smaller classes, class participation is encouraged and part of the daily routine. It seems that a lot of students do not study as much as they should until right before the Exams. I believe once I get into my program that the classes are more geared toward getting a job and gaining experience but the pre-requisites seem to be more learning for its own sake. One of my favorite classes so far have been my ENG 3010, this is because it was a Pilot class and the department was testing out a new class format. It was so much better than just a simple English class, we were geared towards researching our own career interests, going out and doing interviews and observations and coming up with our own research questions. The teacher was amazing and reviewed at least two drafts before we would turn in a final. Altogether, the education recieved at Wayne State is valuable and the Teachers are good at their job.

Sha'Nise

I love Wayne State University. I think that you will have a better experience if you stay on campus. By staying on campus you have the opportunity to meet new people, explore the University more, and get the chance to live the independent life. It is also convenient that way you don't have to commute back and forth. The only thing I would change is the prices of certain things. Like come on give us a break! The price for a parking permit is too much. You have to use the same card that you swiped to get in the garage in order to get out. I feel that if you already paid to get in the parking garage you should just be able to exit without swiping anything. Other than that as a whole I enjoy Wayne State and think it is a good school.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to attend Wayne State University because I am majoring in Physical Therapy and I heard that Wayne State is a good school for the medical field. In addition, I have the advantage of being close to home.

The most popular student activities/groups around is the sororities and fraternities. The most that I see on campus is the AKA's, Sigma's and Iotas. You have college night on Thursdays which is hosted by the Sigmas. There is always some type of party or event going on during the week and the weekend so you will never get bored on campus.

The students at Wayne State are cool. The University is diverse so you see a lot of different races and ethnic backgrounds around campus.

From the classes I have taken so far, I liked Communication and Psychology the best. The academics requirements are fair. You have to have a C- or better to pass the class. They offer study abroad so can travel overseas and further your education there which is nice. I am taking my prerequisite classes right now which are going smooth so far.

Natalie

I believe my school is very rich and exciting. There are many acts of school pride, bake sales, and fundraisers going in daily. The student ce tee is a hot spot since most WSU students hangout there. The food choices are also excellent.

The most popular groups at WSU are mostly the sororities and the fraternities. There is always a fundraiser or bake sale taking place in the Student Center. They really like to get people involved in their activities.

As I touched on in a previous question, Wayne State is very diverse and open. Many different cultures come together at Wayne and unite together. It's very interesting emmersing myself into si much diversity.

The academic portion of my class is very enriching. My favorite classes are the ones that are revolded around my major, Elementary Education. Many people I meet in those classes are life long friends. We even have intelligent conversations and study groups outside of school.

A stereotype within my school Wayne State is that it's very diverse and unique. I think this stereotype fits my school because many different kinds of people come and work together at Wayne. There are many jocks as well at my school for example in many of my classes there's alot of swimmers.

Zainab
Describe the dorms.

I don't live on campus so I don't know how the dorms look like but heard they are big.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

Because they offered me the best scholarship

Most of the organizations deal with volunteer opportunities to help Detroit. I am not that familiar with the fraternities/sororities but do know that they exist at the school. Some organizations are unproductive while others are really involved in the community.

Wayne State is a very diverse school with students from many different ethnic backgrounds. People are mostly from middle class backgrounds and most are also from the Metro Detroit area. Some students there are very friendly while others are not so much.

Many classes at Wayne State are large. General classes for pre-health students have typically 500 people in them. However, the professor still manages to teach the class in a reasonable way that students understand. However professors do not really know you in these large classes so you have to go to their office hours to talk to them. It is a rigorous science curriculum, so students must study to do well in their classes.

Since it is located in Detroit, Wayne State University is typically degraded. The common stereotypes include degrading the students intelligence because students are learning in Detroit, an economically depressed city. Also, many people think the students there are dangerous but in reality, it is a very safe campus.

Debanina

If there is any collective stereotype on my campus it may be because the school is in Detroit, the students may not be as intelligent as others. I attend Wayne State University but many hear about University of Michigan or Michigan State University so sometimes that stereotype exists.

Wayne State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.