Wayne State University

« See more reviews of Wayne State University

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

The stereotype of students at my University include African American individuals from the Detroit area. Some people may think Wayne State is "ghetto" however that stereotype is rather inaccurate to some level. There are a vast variety of cultures, races, and ethnic groups that can be found on campus. These range from a good amount of people who live and commute from the suburban Metro-Detroit area. Arabic students, Indian students, Asian students, and the list goes on. In terms of Greek Life at Wayne State, there are only a few frats and sororities. Our school, I would say is filled with bright minded individuals, most of whom are planning on going to medical school or are doing pre-medicine in their undergraduate years.

Sometimes there is a stereotype that people that go to Wayne State may be "ghetto", but no matter were someone is coming from when they go to Wayne State they are already on the right path and everyone there is seeking a better education and career. We are a diverse campus from all different types of backgrounds so to say that people coming to Wayne State are "ghetto" is not accurate because by being at this University, no matter the means we are all privaleged and ready to improve our standard of living. Just come into the campus with an open mind and know that no stereotype could possibly describe such a massive group of people and that people are coming from different backgrounds, but we are all Wayne State Warriors.

The stereotype of students here at WSU is black. Everyone believes everyone is black and black usually get the term gang/ganster/mob attached to it. Personally there is a lot of different ethnicities here, mainly black, white and indian. Just because WSU is in the middle of Detroit, does not mean it is a place where you're going to get mugged. You just have to know your surroundings and be aware of them.

Since it is located in Detroit, Wayne State University is typically degraded. The common stereotypes include degrading the students intelligence because students are learning in Detroit, an economically depressed city. Also, many people think the students there are dangerous but in reality, it is a very safe campus.

A stereotype within my school Wayne State is that it's very diverse and unique. I think this stereotype fits my school because many different kinds of people come and work together at Wayne. There are many jocks as well at my school for example in many of my classes there's alot of swimmers.

Wayne State University is so diverse that I really couldn't put a stereotype to it. I've meet students like myself going into the science field and those who are in the art and music programs. Wayne State has a variety of awesome programs that anyone can fit in there.

The common stereotype at my school is that the majority of students are commuter students. It is true that my school is a commuter university however a fairly large amount of students do live on campus when you consider the size of the student body.

Wayne State University offers over 400 different programs, varying from performing and communication arts to medicine or social work.. The school is very diverse, not only in it's students, but also in its degree or certificate granting programs.

The common stereotype of students at my school is that we are slackers because we go to school in Detroit. However, most of us are motivated to go to school and do something amazing with our lives.

Friendly people everywhere.