Wayne State University

« See more reviews of Wayne State University

After attending training through the Worksource Lane program, I entered the Energy Management Program. By attending classes at Lane Community College, I am learning more about energy efficiency and health safety in homes. I am a memeber of a OSPIRG group that is involved in energy management. This allows me to use what I have learned in class and on the job put into practice in the field. I am looking forward to using my past work experience and skills I have learned in school to help members of the community to save energy, and save money. This program is one of the top ten in the nation for training and helping students to achieve employment.

Parents should not be involved in helping their child choose the college that they want to attend. I believe that choosing a college is up to the student. But, I will say go to the school that is going to offer you more finanically. Also, get involved on campus, it is a great way to meet new people and also a great way to network. Also, talk to your proffessor's that is what they are there for. And participate in class discussions teachers love students that do this. (your grade may be raised because of this.) Finally, parents remeber it is your child's decision on which school they would like to attend, but do advise them of your financial support.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior i would tell myself to learn study habbits. All throughout school I never studied as hard as I should've. This didn't effect my grades at all because I stayed on the honor roll through all my years in school. I even recieved a 4.3 on one of my report cards during my senior year in high school. Whenever I studied for something I did worse than when I didn't study. My motto was, "Study long, study wrong". All of this changed when I got to college. I learned that I needed to teach myself good study habbits because college was a new experience, therefore time to learn new habbits.

Depending on the expectation and curriculum of interest, picking a school should be based on their rates of academic success as well as the accredidation in which the school holds. Some students learn in smaller classroom settings while others are not effected by the overwhelming amount of students in class (being known only as a number to the professor), class size should also be taken into consideration when choosing a school and so should the area in which the school is located because every parent wants to feel their child is safe away at school, and every student wants to feel safe when walking through the street on and nearby campus.

If I could go back in time I would be sure to enforce the fact that college is serious. It's a place that can broaden your whole mindset and give you a world of opportunities for your life. I would remind myself that it is a privelege to go to college and that that privelege should be taken advantage of. It's so important to always put your best into classes, homework, etc. Even though there may be times that you don't want to, it has to be kept in mind that what comes in the end will be worth all of the hardwork. I would tell myself to set a goal and to stick to it, and to try my hardest not to get distracted by anything!

You have to consider what fits good with your lifestyle and what career path you want to take. Wether you are looking for a place with diversity and different nationalities coming togther, or maybe looking to commute to school to save money on living expenses. Always take the opportunites of the free services the college offers for you and engage in extra curriculuar acitivites to make the most of the college experience. Make sure you do not pick a "party" school because that will hurt you in the long run. Focus on your career and figure out if a small Univeristy with smaller classroom with fewer students is best for you.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would say make sure to have some time and enjoy it. Don't spend so much of your time focused on school and all of the extracurriculars that you do not have any time for yourself or friends and family. Also, I would say to apply earlier to colleges so I would have an increased chance of getting accepted to several places and having more options of where I want to go. The last thing is to never give up. Although times may seem hard, it is never worth it to give up. Better things are definitely on the way, which you will miss if you do not perservere.

The advice that I was given when choosing a college was 'don't let money factor in to your decision'. Although I agree that you shouldn't choose a college because it's "cheaper", and that your education is an investment, I also think it's important to look at the quality of the school and professors, not just the reputation of the school. I went to a university (Wayne State) where the faculty taught at UofM and State as well, but I had classes with them for a significantly lower cost. Don't get caught up in the "name brand" appeal of university. Do the research and you could save yourself a lot of money.

If I could go back a few years I would force myself to sit and study for the ACT. If I did I would have been able to recieve a scholarship to college which would have made things much easier. Considering I have disabled parents that I am responsible for. I learned that college is all about yourself, people only want themselves to be on top. They can care less about everyone else that is around. I should put my studying before anything but sometimes it is really rough and you need to do just enough to get by. I was a 4.0 student throughout high school and college came a shock to me.

My school expierience has been lined with adversity, challenges, and setbacks. Being unable to hear, and unable to manage my emotions due to mental illness has affected me tremendously. Life was always harder than it had to be. I crawled through West Bloomfield High School until my hands were worn and tired. I jumped between Community Colleges to wind up at Wayne State University seven years later. I graduated by walking through the program, the days of crawling behind me, and somehow everything changed. Somewhere along the way, I became confident, self-sufficient, and successful.