Wayne State University Top Questions

I would tell my high school self to go to the University that offers the most or best scholarships and to pick a University that is known for it's academics. College is a blast, but in the long run, you need to focus on what is in your best interest for the future.

Lamont

Apply for scholarships, research cost of attendance, and expect the unexpected.

Jolene

When I started college, my biggest mistake was isolation. I felt overwhelmed by a big school, lots of people, new classes, etc., so I did not reach out to make many friends. I relied on friends I had from high school and home, as well as my boyfriend. I sheltered myself and missed out on a lot of opportunities to meet new people and experience new things. I would telly myself to get involved in something, whether it be a sport, club, activity, it doesn't really matter. Just be involved. Make friends. Don't just stay home and do homework all of the time. There are many ways to make a large school feel smaller; Being involved in something and developing a group of friends is one way to make that happen.

As a college junior, I have matured a lot since I was a high school senior. If I could go back, I would tell myself to not always work too hard because I missed out on some of the social experience. I was also very shy and so it was hard to connect to many of my classmates. The most important piece of advice I would give myself is to start the college scholarship search even sooner! I started while I began my college career at a community college. At that time, my family did not need the extra help financing my education. Now I am attending a 4 year university and am struggling to pay the bills. I would of applied much sooner if I knew how much of a struggle it is to pay for a 4 year university.

Carla

I would talk myself into picking the correct career and be well informed of the requirements to completing the courses. Read more about a variety of colleges. Prepare for college by gaining good test taking skills, study habits, and pacing myself for class. assignments.

Mirvat

I would definitely tell myself that I should enjoy every moment learning and try my very best to benefit from everything my teachers/professors were trying to teach me. It seemed like I was always in a rush to take the courses and finish. I looked at college as a "tedious task." I would tell myself to not look at going to college as a chore but to be more actively engaged in my learning process and to be more inquisitive. I would tell myself "Choose a career that you see not only yourself doing for the rest of your life, rather a career where you can't see yourself living without. Don't choose a career that you think would be easy for you, rather choose a career that you know is going to challenge you because challenges are healthy and they help you reach your maximum potential. Be serious about going to college/university and DON'T TAKE TIME OFF; that may set you up for failure. Nothing is ever too hard, if you put your mind to it, you can do it! Where there is a will, there's a way. ENJOY ever minute of it!"

Moving out is a great opportunity for people to grow and make new friends, but it's not for everyone. It's certainly not for you. Stop rushing to get away and start appreciating your family (and free food and lodging) more. A lot of anxiety comes from starting college, and without friends and family around you it's hard to handle. You are going to be much happier commuting and staying closer to you friends, family, and job. Make sure you talk to someone the first day of every class, you'll make some amazing friends that way. Don't be self conscious if you end up eating alone in the cafeteria - nobody is judging you. Your classes may seem pointless sometimes, but I promise that you will learn a ton of stuff in every one. Not just about that subject, but about yourself and people around you and life. Don't skip classes, you're mssing out and your grade will drop. Also, don't date that one guy. What are you even thinking? Good luck, and have fun discovering who you are.

Cathryn

Listen, high school-me, I'm here to tell you to get your act together and to get off your high horse. I know that you're getting good grades and are basically breezing through high school, but you need to abandon that cocky attitude that you have. That "I'm coasting through high school, I'll do the same in college" attitide. It's a very ignorant way of thinking. You don't even study. I get it, you're smart, but you have to put more effort into your school career, because-take my word for it-college is a completely different ballgame. You CANNOT coast through these college courses, it's not as easy as you think. If you keep going on the way you are now, you WILL fail! You will lose your scholarship and will be on academic probation. I know that I'm being hard on you, but you need to hear this. You're really smart, so start actually applying yourself. Pick up a book. Study. Spend time looking over your notes. If you do this, there will be nothing stopping you from accomplishing your goals. You can do it, kid...trust me.

Dear young, naive Kayla, Don’t take life so seriously. Confidence is key (or the appearance of confidence) even when you’re falling apart inside and about to throw up. Smile more. You will make hundreds, maybe even thousands of mistakes… THEY ARE NOT THE END OF THE WORLD. Your high school love will not last. There is not one person on this earth who doesn’t grow into someone new from age 14 to19. Always look at the bright side of things. Being so dismal all the time really brought you down as a person. Go for it. Really spend your time focusing not on high school grades, but finding out who you are and what you’re interested in. Don’t hesitate. Enjoy the sheer simplicity of football games, friends, dances and school spirit while you can. It is truly the best time of your life. Please, please do not eat that sub sandwich from the cafeteria on January 14th. Food poisoning was horrendous. And most importantly…never once doubt yourself. I guess you can say clichés are meant for more than graduation speeches and wedding toasts.

Ingrid

I would tell myself not to take on so many classes as an incoming freshmen. Create a study group, ask my professors for help, think postive , and have the courage to ask for help. Bring a tape recorder or laptop to take notes , try to make friends so that your not always stressed about classes. Also AIM HIGHER and never give up no matter how hard it gets.

Falynn

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself a myriad of things. The first of which I'd tell myself to stay away from student loans and credit cards. When your young you don't think of all the repercussions of taking advantage of these "oppotunities." I would also tell myself to go to Consrvatory or a school that specializes in theater. I feel that I wasted time a lot of time and that I didn't get the intensive training I desired by going to a University as opposed to a Consrvatory. Though my past actions have set me on my current path today I believe that if I could tell these things to my younger self I would be well into a film/theater career now.

Bradley

I was given a great deal of advice before entering college, ranging from time management and social life to workload and financial aid. The one piece of advice that no one ever gave me and I have found to be the biggest adjustment is: "in high school, teachers make sure that you succeed, in college it is up to you if you want to succeed." This often includes having to read the book, do extra practice problems (not just what’s assigned) and in essence, teach yourself. The teacher will no longer do all of this for you. Maybe that is the difference between the word teacher and professor that I failed to realize: teachers “teach” and professors “profess.” Essentially, high school teachers make sure that you learn the information while a college professor will tell you the information and then it’s up to you to learn it. This may seem unfair or difficult at times but how much more prepared will you be for the world beyond school, having had to learn a few things the hard way. This is an important reality that took me a few semesters to learn but made a significant difference going forward.

It is time to go to college! The best thing that you can do for yourself is save the money that everyone has given to you at your open house! Do not spend all your money on clothing because just like time it will come and go! Instead, save for today so that tomorrow you can relax! College is a business- unfortunately its business is to keep you in debt! Your business is to graduate! Along the road to graduation, you will have fun and meet new friends. Some friends are only temporary but others are there to help you succeed! Do not forget that the road to graduation will not be a smooth one- it will most certainly have its ups and downs! Please do not fret or give up on yourself because this road just like life is only meant to test you in order to see is this what you truly want in life!

Take your time. It’s ok to try to find out what you want to do with your life first, as long as get your degree and your moving forward. Don’t be stuck in the past, because you will make better memories; Better then you ever imagined. I would tell myself that most people I know who graduate in four years are still job searching for years to come; Most of them not in the profession that they earned their degree. They are stuck in jobs just for income. These people have a mountain of debt with their subordinate careers and plenty of time to think about things differently. You on the other hand can go to a community college and visit friends on the weekends. You know how to have a good time and you know when to get serious. Many opportunities will come along from the people you know. These opportunities may lead you to your career; Some will not but use your judgment and you will succeed. Maybe your employer will end up paying for your education or maybe you will earn scholarships. Just work hard and you will find your own way; you always have.

Jade

Brad Paisley’s “Letter to Me” pretty much sums up a lot of what to know and feel about college. “I know it’s tough when you break up after 7 months…all I can say is pain like that is fast and rare…And oh you got so much going for you going right, but I know at 17 it's hard to see past Friday night, tonight's the bonfire rally, but you're staying home instead because if you fail Algebra, Mom and Dad will kill you dead…” Those words need to be remember in college as well, don’t hold yourself back because of someone else; if it’s meant to be then it’ll find its way with both of you reaching your goals. In addition remember, it is perfectly fine to change your mind a million times. There are so many new experiences you are going to have, you might be scared or nervous but have faith that everything will work out the way God has planned for you because at the end of the day all that matters is how happy you are with yourself.

Tanisha

I would tell myself that it gets surprisingly much easier in college, go easy on yourself now. Have fun and enjoy your last year of highschool, you'll wish you had gone out and done more. You'll meet new people who are goal minded and very diverse in every aspect, you couldn't put a price on what you'll learn about life through college along with what you'll learn academically. You'll experience things so much differently from what you expected, and you will grow so much in only a short amount of time.

Chloe

Just relax and enjoy college. Work hard and go to class but also make time to have fun. You will do great.

karina

First, if I could go back in time as a high school student I would give my self an advise I should of tooken when I was a high school student. I would advice myself to keep track of deadlines and quit slacking off, to take every little oportunitty presented in life. As a high school student I was the type of shy student, therefore I could of been in class but yet never participated or ask questions when I was confused or didn't get the idea. I would give myself an advice of forgetting that there was people looking at me and see them as family, that way I wouldn't have fallen in my own trap. Now as I look back in time I ask myself many questions and say to myself what if. But what if, is only a symbol of lack of self esteem because what if didn't happen yet I can make all those left behind projects I left. In conclusion, the best advice I would give myself would be, not to be shy and participate in all the activities presented in my life. Also to focus on my classes.

I have been out of school for seven years now and if I could go back I would sit myself down and have a very serious talk. I would let myself know that you only get one life and to not let the little things stress you out. I would tell myself that there are scholarship opportunities and funding out there for students no matter what their background and upbringing. I would tell myself that while community college is a smart stepping stone to a four year university I could have gone away to school if I wanted. I would have told myself I was, in fact, good enough to go to a four year university like my peers. I would encourage my high school self to sign up for college activities, clubs, and volunteer events when I entered college because that's where you meet people and have the best experiences. I would tell my high school self that regardless of my family being non supportive of college that you can still achieve your dreams. Lastly, I would apply to multiple schools for options because settling isn't good enough.

If I were able to go back in time and speak to myself as a high school senior I'd probably be better off than I am today. I'd tell myself that although the high school experience is important, I should focus more on academics. I would say that starting at a university is more beneficial than starting at a community college because then you are more likely to graduate in four years rather than the 5+ it is taking you now. I'd tell myself that getting involved is crucial. Sports, hobbies, clubs, and societies can provide endless scholarship opportunities and even help on applications to medical school. Most importantly I'd tell myself to never give up because five years later, here I am, still an undergrad feeling a little bit defeated, but still trying my hardest to reach medical school. When you start college as a freshman it's a clean slate and an opportunity to be whatever you want to be. The time to make your future count is now, in your college years. These are the grades that matter and these are the opportunities and experiences that matter.

Brea

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself a few things. The first thing I would have advised myself to do is to stay encouraged and stick it out all the way to the end despite my will to quit on certain things such as studying. I would also tell myself to not stress myself out so much on things that didn't derserve my worrying, but instead enjoy my last days as a high school attendee. Lastly, I would advise myself to value the time management that I learned which will help me in college tremendously.

Steven, You didn’t have your Dad around to help guide you through life so let this be a lesson. College is the key to opening the doors to the next level of success. You are so passionate about music and love to entertain people. You love helping other people and bringing positive energy where ever you go. There are so many endless possibilities you can make in college through networking, communicating, and learning. You can make new friends and surround yourself with successful people, which will benefit your career. Without college education how will you be able to advance your life? How will you be able to take care of yourself and your family? One day you will have to help your family and starting now with college is the right way to go. At 24 years of age I realized I want to continue entertaining people and achieve more. I am deciding to start a fire career so I can support my family and help my community. If I could have started going to school for this when I was 18, I would have a fire-fighting job by now. Don’t wait, LETS GO!

Aliya

I would definitely tell myself to practice time management so that I do not get overwhelmed by the course workload, especially concerning big projects that require a lot of time commitment. I would also advise myself that although it is important to obtain a high G.P.A., I should still keep my priorities in check and always make time to relax and spend more time with families and friends. In addition, I would become more involved in student organizations and on-campus activities in order to build my network of students in not just my major, but in others as well. That way I would have a higher exposure to perspectives in different fields and be better able to decide on a back-up plan in case the major I chose when I started my undergraduate degree isn’t what I actually want to be involved in very much in my future.

Carrie

I would tell my high school self to put an effort into making more friends, get more involved on campus, and study hard. Going to a community college is a harder experience making friends than a four-year university. You have to put yourself out there, speak up, and come out of your shell a little more than usual. Join a club or the campus activity board, there are plenty of opportunities with organizations that help you make friends and find activities at the same time. However, don’t forget that studying should come before all things. You’re grades are what will get you far and take you to all the places you wish to go. These three things will help you get involved and stay educated making your transition inot college a breeze!

When I chose to attend college, I was so lost with almost virtually no guidance whatsoever. With neither parents having a high school diploma, I came to this conclusion and said to myself - "I know college is the right thing to do. I don’t know exactly what to do or how to do it, but I guess I’ll just have to figure it out.” I moved out when I was 16, went around to local garage sales, found a bicycle for transportation, got a job, and got way from all the negativity at home. One of the things I wish I would have been better prepared for was getting involved with various social organizations. I believe I could have met positive people therein, who could have helped me along the way with various questions about honors programs, scholarships, and what to aim for. I would also advise myself to be cautious of making friends, even when I would enter the university. Just because certain individuals are enrolled in college, it does not mean that they are necessarily a positive influence on your future goals.

Tyeisha

I would tell the high school me to believe in myself, the abilities I have, and what I have to offer others. I would tell myself to not worry so much about the level other people are on but to work to reach my own personal best.

Diamond

I would tell myself to pay more attention in biology and chemistry, because they are now my two weakest subjects in college.

College is nothing like high school. So be prepared! Get together your goals and really think about what you would like your career to be. It saves time and potientially money down the road, so I highly suggest it. Make friends with people in your class, don't be to reserved because it helps to have study buddies in your classes. Make sure to participate in your classes as well. The more you do, the more the teacher will respect you and know you are trying. Overall, you really have to give it your all to do well.

I would advise myself to take things easier the first year of college. I have always pushed myself way too hard and taken courses that are so challenging it is sometimes hard to handle along with the transition to college. I would also advise myself not to commute to a school that is an hour away because that takes away from the time that could be used to study. It was also hard to make new friends when you are a commuter so I would definitely advise myself to enjoy a dorm life even if it is expensive. The first year is to explore and learn more about the school rather than to overload myself with courses and activities. It is still very important to keep in touch with the friends and connections from high school as they will be life long companions.

ShaLyce

I would tell myself to always focus and not to take so many electives. Never let myself slip and don't give up.

Nour

If I could go back a few years I would force myself to sit and study for the ACT. If I did I would have been able to recieve a scholarship to college which would have made things much easier. Considering I have disabled parents that I am responsible for. I learned that college is all about yourself, people only want themselves to be on top. They can care less about everyone else that is around. I should put my studying before anything but sometimes it is really rough and you need to do just enough to get by. I was a 4.0 student throughout high school and college came a shock to me.

liz

If you live on campus, listen to your RAs. They are there for you if you need to talk. Also don't go around destroying the dorm, everyone, including you, pays for it. Follow the quiet hours, it's greatly appreciated by those trying to sleep.

I would say "Go with your gut instinct, and no fluff classes", and I would explain which classes to avoid and why, and also those which to take, so the maximum number of credits could transfer, and it wouldn't be time or money used needlessly.

DON'T FREAK OUT. The people aren't as scary as you think they are. The professors are not mean people with out souls. Everything your english teacher told you about college essays was wrong. And commit to the studying, actually do it. It will get you farther then any party or friend you make along the way. It is worth it.

Rim

This is one thought most people my age think about almost every night; If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior with the information I have aquired now, this is what I would say. First of all, and most importantly, I would tell myself that nothing is impossible. I would tell myself to take advantage of my high school career and learn as much as possible, because it will make it that much easier in college. Second of all, I would tell myself that I am beautiful, and that I shouldn't worry what boys think of me now, because the most vital thing I could do for myself is to set a strong base for my mental growth. The real men will come chasing when I've done enough to respect and love myself. The last thing I would tell myself is to never give up, and to always be a good person and treat others with respect, regardless of how they treat me. "Come on Rim, you are way smarter than you think! Hit those books and open your mind, you're in America and you can achieve any obstacle!"

Cheterria

I would reccommend starting at community college all over again. It is a great way to save money and still look at universities you want to attend. Apply for scholarships! So many are offered and people don't always take advantage. There is no reason for free money to go to waste. Apply to more than one university. Explore your options. Do not limit yourself.

I would tell myself that even if attendance is not required, you NEED to attend all classes. And don't schedule Friday classes if at all possible, you need that extra day for homework.

Thanks to my college experience I have gained a better work ethic, learned responsibilty for my own life, and started the path to the career of my dreams. I have gained a better work ethic because in college you have to juggle so much more: classes, work, friends, laundry, self. Since I have had to start doing everything for myself I have learned more responsibilty for those actions. Most of all though, this first year at the university has brought me closer to becoming a Radiation Therapist and achieving my mission to give back to the cancer community. In conclusion my college experience has been valuable to me because it improved my work ethic, increased my level of responsibility and started me on the path to what I hope will be a fulfilling and successful career.

I understand now the importance of knowledge through having the opportunity to expand my learning. By me now working on my master's I know my purpose in life an education will get me closer to where I aspire to be.

MARIA

My college experiece has given me the opportunity to have a decent job and not have to continue the tradition of working in the fields like my parents did. I love the challenge that college offers me because I know that when I have accomplished the task I have attained more knowledge and experience. The value that that I will get in attending college is the confidence and security that I know that I will have by knowing that I have degree to go anywhere is country.

Marisol

Grossmont Community College has been my haven. My first two years as a college student I attended private Catholic School USD, and it was the biggest mistake of my life. I was paying an arm and a leg to a school who wanted my soul to pay for their green grass and beautiful buildings. Here at Community College I am constantly impressed with the involement of professors with students, the fairness in prices for parking permits and books, and most importantly the quality of learning I am receiving here at Grossmont College. I am comfortable knowing I able to work, go to school, and still afford to pay for groceries and support the local arts occasionally. Grossmont College has made their services available to students including Financial Aid, health services, counseling, and numerous eateries and available health foods. Comminuty College is more then a comminuty; it is a family where everyone is always welcome. A place to love, learn, give, and expand our minds for the better. -Marisol Lee Benter

After attending training through the Worksource Lane program, I entered the Energy Management Program. By attending classes at Lane Community College, I am learning more about energy efficiency and health safety in homes. I am a memeber of a OSPIRG group that is involved in energy management. This allows me to use what I have learned in class and on the job put into practice in the field. I am looking forward to using my past work experience and skills I have learned in school to help members of the community to save energy, and save money. This program is one of the top ten in the nation for training and helping students to achieve employment.

Sydnee

Attending college has made me a more of an open minded and creative thinking person. The classes are challenging but not difficult, and have renewed my natural curiosity and willingness to learn after way too many years of being bored and unstimulated in public grade schools in my area. Starting college has allowed me to leave behind my regrets from middle school and high school and start over anew - I no longer have to worry about the expectations from before continuing to affect me because I'm in an entirely new environment with new people. I have become more outgoing and more willing to try new things, as well as more conscious about my health. It's only been a semester, and yet I can already tell that college is going to be one of the best experiences of my life, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

When choosing which college I wanted to attend I had been contemplating whether I should go to Michigan State University or Wayne State university. After going to the scholarship and orinetation meeting I found that at Wayne State they were more inviting and focused on what you could bring to the community of the university. The professor I have now are genuinly concerned with your sucuss in the class and they keep in contact with you when you yourself have concerns and questions. This school has challenged me to do my best and given me opprotunities like joining the cross-country team. Even from this program I have gained skills that have been part of what I do in my classes. For example when I train I push myself to get the most out of every work-out and the same is applied to my classes, if I want something I need to work for it. Along the lines of Sports Wayne State has some of the greatest coaches you'll find in the nation, everyone one of them wants to win and they know how to make you the best you can be. I love every part of WSU.

Attending college taught me how to study. I was totally immersed in my program and became great friends with some of the other students in my program. I had to work very hard to keep my spot in the program. It taught me to act, think, and behave as a nurse. When I graduated and became part of the workforce, I was already on my way to truly being a nurse. After being a student for a few semesters, I participated in student clubs, became more social and outgoing, and became confident and comfortable in my own skin. High school did not do this for me. Being responsible for your own learning and life helps define who you are. I would never trade my time in college. It helped make me the person that I am today. It also has allowed me to have the confidence to return to school on a different career path. This time, it will help my family become financially stable. I could not imagine raising my family without my educational background.

I became a more responsible adult since I've been attending college. I have learned how to be resposible for my own work and my own mistakes. This has been valuable to me, because now I feel i have become independent. Independence has been getting me prepared for the real world. I have a job and I am a full time student. I also am athletically involved in college. Sometimes it seems too much, but I know that my priorites and resposibilities are directing me in the right direction for my future life and job.

I’m a freshman student in the Irvine Valley College. I was a home schooled student from kindergarten to my senior year in high school. Going to college has helped me learn a lot. All my teachers have been very helpful, since I wasn’t used to the school system. Starting college has taught me to be more independent and responsible. My education is in my own hands, and I have to take advantage of it. The most valuable thing I’ve learned is to appreciate all the help my college offers. I love going to school and trying my best to keep my grades up. I am hoping to transfer to a four year college, and my community college has helped me a lot to try to achieve my dream. Learning how to be responsible wont only help me in college but it will also help me with everything I do in my life.

Janice

To be honest, although I know a college education is essential if I am to reach my life goals, I don't believe I have experienced enough of college to fully be able to measure it's value. I've only been enrolled in college for one semester, but I've already started to view my university in a new light. University "life" is very different from High School, it was a great eye opener to the "real" world for me. While studying at the university there is no one to force you to learn, you are forced to take the initiative. You must truly be dedicated in the pursuit of knowledge towards your goal to continue on the right path. Also, being away from home forces you to rely a lot on yourself for many things. I have an awkward family situation that causes me to be turned away from many financial aid offers that I could really use. Winning this scholarship could really help lift some of the burdens of tuition off my family's shoulders. To me, the time I spend in college will be very valuable because it will help me broaden my horizons and grow.

While attending community college, I was able to take a variety of different classes. Through that experience, I discovered that I had a passion for helping people. After earning my AAS Degree this year, I decided that I wanted to pursue a degree in Sociology. I recently started taking classes to pursue a Bachelor's Degree in Sociology. Part of earning this degree is completing an internship in a social service setting. This experience has allowed me to explore the field of human service in a way that is not possible in a class room setting. I have been able to engage with and observe a specific client population in a real life situations and settings which has only further fueled my desire to help those in need. My college experience up to this point has been exciting and rewarding, and I look forward to the ways in which I will grow and develop as I pursue my degree. . Not only have I been able to discover my passion in life, but I have also had the opportunity to connect and build relationships with a diverse groups of students and faculty. To me, these experiences are invaluable.

Rubi

College has opened doors for me in ways I hadn't imagined. I got the opertunity to study abroad once and use what I have learned in college in connecting a communicating with people from around the world and differenct cultures. I have learned a lot and been able to make friends and connections that will last a lifetime and I got my first job experiences thanks to the work-study programs available at my college. I think going to college is valuable because it gives you the means to obtain a job in which you have had training and proof of skill. Even if you've had experience, there is nothing to prove that and college gives you a solid proof that one is knowlegable in the area in which they are seeking a job. Not only is college good for job hunting, but it allows some people social experiences and interactions they wouldn't have tried otherwise and makes people more culturally aware. As a society being culturally aware is important, because that is what makes peace around the world.