Wayne State University

« See more reviews of Wayne State University

When I chose to attend college, I was so lost with almost virtually no guidance whatsoever. With neither parents having a high school diploma, I came to this conclusion and said to myself - "I know college is the right thing to do. I don’t know exactly what to do or how to do it, but I guess I’ll just have to figure it out.” I moved out when I was 16, went around to local garage sales, found a bicycle for transportation, got a job, and got way from all the negativity at home. One of the things I wish I would have been better prepared for was getting involved with various social organizations. I believe I could have met positive people therein, who could have helped me along the way with various questions about honors programs, scholarships, and what to aim for. I would also advise myself to be cautious of making friends, even when I would enter the university. Just because certain individuals are enrolled in college, it does not mean that they are necessarily a positive influence on your future goals.

My advice to finding the right college would be to start looking for colleges in the latter part of your sophomore year in high school . This way, you are able to visit the colleges and decide on whether you would be interested or not. After taking the tour of the campus, see if you can spend a weekend or a weeknight on campus to get a feel of the college life. I would recommend doing this for all of your choices and in the end, it helps you decide what school is right for you. To make the most of your college experience, don't study all the time. Get out of your comfort zone and meet people. Go do something you wouldn't normally do, like attending an event that the student council put on. If you live in the dorms, go around your floor and start networking, you never know if they will be in your classes (you can study together). In your classes, say hello to the person next to you, they can make the semester fun or they even may become one of your best friends. Just have fun, but be smart about it.

Visit campuses, make sure you know what classes transfer if you have an inkling of leaving the school you're in. And if your school gives you trouble, you're just not comfortable there, or you're sure things won't get better- LEAVE. There is no shame in finding a better fit for you. College is about experiencing new things. Don't just doggedly approach your major. Take fun things like art classes, tennis, dance, creative writing-- explore who you are! This may be your only chance to. Also: books? Make sure when you get your book lists to try to buy them online. You can get them for an extreme amount less sometimes. I got a $100 USED political science book on Amazon.com for $15.00 and shipping. This isn't the only time I've done that either. Make sure to check out the school's testing policies. You can get out of TONS of basic requirements with such tests as APs, CLEPs, and IBs. And finally, make sure to visit government websites, as well as regular scholarship websites, to find need-based scholarships.

Your friends may not be coming with you, but you can still remain friends. Stay away from alcohol, or at least don't go overboard. Be nice to your parents, overbearing as they may be. Be nice to your girlfriend - she's going to be the town bike when she gets to a real university, and its partly your fault. Your degree is worthless, but don't cave in to your parents - you will still have a degree, and they wont. Ration your hate, you have 5 years to go before you meet someone going to the same places you are. You're friendly, but people still won't call you to hang out - seize the day, seek adventure, don't hide in your dorm room. Cafeteria food sucks, trust me. Those stomach aches arent from the food or the booze or the stress - go see a doctor sooner instead of putting it off for 4 years. Don't let the slackers get to you, its always been you and whoever you can team up with to get work done; those without the motivation to swim will drown. Above all else, enjoy it and thank God you're going.

Amber, keep the mindset that has two reflections one-part reflection on the past and another part that anticipates the future. Yes, you may feel change, you may feel some sort of difference but in reality, it's just life, growth and change however you are just still you. It can be difficult sometimes to accept change but there?s nothing better than looking back and realizing that you've accomplished something or grown in ways you always hoped you would. Continue to work hard to accomplish all the things that you said you would. There will be many struggles and hurdles that you will have to endure, and yes you will fall but stand up tall and come back for more. You are and always will be daddy's little girl. Become the woman that you once sought out to be and reach for the stars even if you land on the clouds because I know you have tried your best. Life is an awfully big adventure and sometimes full of surprises. Just think, the life you always wanted to live is waiting and anticipating your arrival.

This is one thought most people my age think about almost every night; If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior with the information I have aquired now, this is what I would say. First of all, and most importantly, I would tell myself that nothing is impossible. I would tell myself to take advantage of my high school career and learn as much as possible, because it will make it that much easier in college. Second of all, I would tell myself that I am beautiful, and that I shouldn't worry what boys think of me now, because the most vital thing I could do for myself is to set a strong base for my mental growth. The real men will come chasing when I've done enough to respect and love myself. The last thing I would tell myself is to never give up, and to always be a good person and treat others with respect, regardless of how they treat me. "Come on Rim, you are way smarter than you think! Hit those books and open your mind, you're in America and you can achieve any obstacle!"

Grossmont Community College has been my haven. My first two years as a college student I attended private Catholic School USD, and it was the biggest mistake of my life. I was paying an arm and a leg to a school who wanted my soul to pay for their green grass and beautiful buildings. Here at Community College I am constantly impressed with the involement of professors with students, the fairness in prices for parking permits and books, and most importantly the quality of learning I am receiving here at Grossmont College. I am comfortable knowing I able to work, go to school, and still afford to pay for groceries and support the local arts occasionally. Grossmont College has made their services available to students including Financial Aid, health services, counseling, and numerous eateries and available health foods. Comminuty College is more then a comminuty; it is a family where everyone is always welcome. A place to love, learn, give, and expand our minds for the better. -Marisol Lee Benter

Camille Williams 1/26/10 Advice about College If I can go back in time and talk to myself as a high school student, I would give myself many advices. When I was a high school student, I expected college to be hard, making new friends would be difficult, living on campus and taking care of me would be hard to get use to. When I started college, it wasn?t what I expected. Here are some advices I give myself. My first advice is to don?t think college is going to be hard where you can?t do it. I thought since I wasn?t really prepare for college, doesn?t mean I can get help. There are so many resources on campus to help you in your classes. Next, having a social life is easy. Join many organizations on campus where you can get to know and meeting new people. Joining organizations will help you make new friends. Next advice, take one day at a time, living on campus is a great experiences and it is easy to get use to. It would be like a home away from home. My final advice is to have fun!

Start early. By the beginning of the sophmore year, start thinking about what you want to study. If you can, spend some time shadowing someone in this field. If possible, acquire a related part-time job or volunteering position. Take the required standarized tests early: often students take them more than once to improve their scores. Before the beginning of your junior year, do an indepth search for colleges or universities. Consider the following and decide what three are most important: cost, prestige, location, campus life, acessability for special needs students, job placement rate, acceptance of A.P./ college credit transfers, and avaibility of programs. Visit the schools meeting your criteria and apply to the ones that have "passed the test". Apply for any available scholarships, public or private. Scholarship packages can be a deal breaker for a school. In the end, the student should be the one to pick where they will further their education and spend several years of their life.

Going to Wayne State has given me a totally different view of what a college experience is. Truthfully, it isn't the typical college experience. Frats and Sororities don't rule the school. The night life on campus is pretty dead, and there really isn't too much to do other than get your homework done and study. So, when looking at a college for the best college experice, look for not only hearsay, but look into what the college is like during the day and at night. See the kind of people that go there, and the attitude they have about school. Most kids go out of state to a "party" school, waste thousands of dollars and end up coming back with a reality check, a very expensive one, and go to a local university that is just as good as anyother and gain more than what they expected. Don't look at just the name of the school to get a college experience, but look at a school to really get what you want in life after your college days are over. Maybe, a different kind of college experice.