Wayne State University

« See more reviews of Wayne State University

Begin and continue school at a community college as long as your degree will allow. I am a nursing student with a $100,00.00 bill. The students in a nearby community college are getting an RN vs. my BSN at half the cost I have. They also are starting work after receiving their degree at the same pay rate. Some of the teachers that teach at the community colleges teach at my Unversity as well so the learning experience is equal. I know because I attended a community college and chose this University for my nursing degree instead of the community college. Some hospitals for health career students help pay for additional schooling if desired and I believe other businesses do as well. So you can further your career after you get your foot in the door and save a bundle. Good luck.

Thanks to my college experience I have gained a better work ethic, learned responsibilty for my own life, and started the path to the career of my dreams. I have gained a better work ethic because in college you have to juggle so much more: classes, work, friends, laundry, self. Since I have had to start doing everything for myself I have learned more responsibilty for those actions. Most of all though, this first year at the university has brought me closer to becoming a Radiation Therapist and achieving my mission to give back to the cancer community. In conclusion my college experience has been valuable to me because it improved my work ethic, increased my level of responsibility and started me on the path to what I hope will be a fulfilling and successful career.

I would advise myself to take things easier the first year of college. I have always pushed myself way too hard and taken courses that are so challenging it is sometimes hard to handle along with the transition to college. I would also advise myself not to commute to a school that is an hour away because that takes away from the time that could be used to study. It was also hard to make new friends when you are a commuter so I would definitely advise myself to enjoy a dorm life even if it is expensive. The first year is to explore and learn more about the school rather than to overload myself with courses and activities. It is still very important to keep in touch with the friends and connections from high school as they will be life long companions.

The advice I would give to parents and/or students is simple: think and choose for yourself. We all may think we know what's best for our loved ones or friends regarding what college to go to, what to major in, and what activities to take part in, but in reality we only know what's best for ourselves. Because of this, extensive research is very important. With something as important and expensive as a college education, following others educational dreams instead of your own will make for a lousy four years. From my own experience, I found when I followed my own heart I was happier than when I followed the advice of my mother. She may not have been happy at first, but once she saw how happy I was she grew to except my educational decisions.

Budget your time wisely. In high school, the time you spent on your studies was structured for you by your teachers and your parents. When you get to college, nobody is going to force you to go to class or to go to the library to study. You are responsible for yourself. However, this new found freedom is a double-edged sword as college life is riddled with distractions. My best advice is to sit down after the first week of class and create a schedule of assignments and exams. Make sure you budget study time wisely - you may want to study 2-3 hours for every hour you spend in class. Additionally, it doesn't hurt to make a financial budget. No more home-cooked meals means that you have to feed yourself and food gets expensive real quick.

I would tell them to think very hard about your career desicion. School is like a business that you are investing in. Take your time and make sure that it is the right instituion for you. You don't want to start one major and decide it isn't the one for you and have to start all over again. Get you a great group of friends who will push and and hold you up when you fell the need to fall. If you are allowed the funds to live on campus try it out. You will have more access to srudy facilties, meals plans, and people in your same situation. Educate yourself on the colleges that you have choosen to apply to before you rush in on a desicion. College can either make or break your future, but the choice is up to you. You write you own destiny.

If I were able to go back in time and talk to myself as a senior high school I would remind myself that in college there are so many things to get involved in and there is so much freedom; however, I need to remember what my goal is and to stay focused. If staying on campus I need to be able to adjust to sharing living space with others considering that I'm coming from a home where I have a room to myself. As always I would remember that I need to choose wisely the people that I plan to associate myself with because I wouldn't want to get a bad reputation by hanging with the wrong crowd. Lastly, I have to take my education into my own hands because even if I don't focus the professors get paid so why not get the most for what I pay for.

I would tell my high school self to put an effort into making more friends, get more involved on campus, and study hard. Going to a community college is a harder experience making friends than a four-year university. You have to put yourself out there, speak up, and come out of your shell a little more than usual. Join a club or the campus activity board, there are plenty of opportunities with organizations that help you make friends and find activities at the same time. However, don’t forget that studying should come before all things. You’re grades are what will get you far and take you to all the places you wish to go. These three things will help you get involved and stay educated making your transition inot college a breeze!

When planning for college its never too early to start. The longer you put off researching and applying the more you lessen your chances of getting good dorm and financial aid situations. It doen't hurt to stay in touch with colleges, go for a visit, establish a relationship with an admissions representative or advisor. Once you've made your decision, first plan for financing your education gather W-2s and other tax related documents, they will be needed to do the FAFSA, which determines the amount of government AID you're eligible to recieve; then prepare everything you need for school: immunizations records, dorm essentials etc. Finally communicate every one should stay on the same page, parents, student, advisor etc.

"Amanda, put that confidence you exhibit everyday here in high school in your backpack and carry it to all your classes. Use it anytime you feel overwhelmed with the course load and the expansive nature of college itself. Don't be shy, go out and make friends and play a sport. So what Wayne State does not have a Track and Field team, play an intramural sport...I heard they have a pretty cool ultimate frisbee team. Stay ahead in your class, and no more procrastination...you are only hurting yourself by putting things off until the last minute. College does not stop for you, so you have to go strong for it. Good luck...you might not need it, but a little luck and a lot of hard work can go a long way."