Wayne State University

« See more reviews of Wayne State University

When I started college, my biggest mistake was isolation. I felt overwhelmed by a big school, lots of people, new classes, etc., so I did not reach out to make many friends. I relied on friends I had from high school and home, as well as my boyfriend. I sheltered myself and missed out on a lot of opportunities to meet new people and experience new things. I would telly myself to get involved in something, whether it be a sport, club, activity, it doesn't really matter. Just be involved. Make friends. Don't just stay home and do homework all of the time. There are many ways to make a large school feel smaller; Being involved in something and developing a group of friends is one way to make that happen.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself a myriad of things. The first of which I'd tell myself to stay away from student loans and credit cards. When your young you don't think of all the repercussions of taking advantage of these "oppotunities." I would also tell myself to go to Consrvatory or a school that specializes in theater. I feel that I wasted time a lot of time and that I didn't get the intensive training I desired by going to a University as opposed to a Consrvatory. Though my past actions have set me on my current path today I believe that if I could tell these things to my younger self I would be well into a film/theater career now.

As a college junior, I have matured a lot since I was a high school senior. If I could go back, I would tell myself to not always work too hard because I missed out on some of the social experience. I was also very shy and so it was hard to connect to many of my classmates. The most important piece of advice I would give myself is to start the college scholarship search even sooner! I started while I began my college career at a community college. At that time, my family did not need the extra help financing my education. Now I am attending a 4 year university and am struggling to pay the bills. I would of applied much sooner if I knew how much of a struggle it is to pay for a 4 year university.

Besides the courses I've taken, my college experience has made a tremendous impact on my life. College has helped me learn who I really am and what I want to do with my life. My high school was made up of about 98% of one ethnic group and 2% of another. College introduced me to people from all over the world. The diversity has truly been amazing and has given me exposure to various cultures. I could have chosen any other college to attend, but I don't regret my decision to be where I am. America as the "Melting Pot" is shown very evident here and it makes this school very special to me. The unique friendships I've made in college are priceless and wouldn't have been possible just anywhere.

If I were to go back in time and see myself when I was a senior in high school I would tell myself a few things. I would first say to start gathering more study skills so I would be prepared when I started college. I would also tell myself to be open to new experiences because that way you can make a lot of new friends that will be there to help you with school or be there to talk to about whatever is going on in your personal life. The last thing I would tell myself is to just breathe and relax; everything is going to work out. Be patient and have fun while you can and enjoy college, it does not have to be a burden, it can be fun while helping you towards your goals of success.

Work and save money for college. do lots of research on career and practical college major. Talk to students already majoring in my choice of major. of course, take education and learning very seriously when in high school which i did and now its paying off. make practical outline of classes for first semester and every semesters to come so i don't end up taking classes that i can take later when i get into the program instead of wasting time before getting into the program and discouraging myself from what i want or fall into depression or end up needing alot more money than i can afford. college life is tough and endlessly long so be prepared money wise and practice patience.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to work harder to earn a higher GPA because of the amount of scholarship money that is avalabil to students. I would tell myself to think carefully about the decisions to apply to different schools including Wayne State and other universities and colleges in state. I would let my younger self know that campus life is really what you make it and that it is possible to be involved if you stay off campus. Finally I would tell myself to allow the first year to be the year you find your major then declaring a major the second year, instead of declaring a major only to change it two years later.

I would advice parents to search as many scholarship sites as possible. Tour several colleges before making a decision. Please make sure your child remembers to stay focused, work hard and make the most of it. This can be done , it won't be easy but well worth it. Please, please do not take a break. I graduated from high school in 1988, started college the "took a break" and 20 years later realized without a degree I have nothing. Now the cost of finishing up is extremely expensive and the work load is much, much harder especially when you work full time at a high stressed job, have 2 children and attend school full time. It's a rough, expensive lesson that I hacd to learn.

I would definitely tell myself to go on to college directly after highschool. Instead of going to college after graduating highschool, I got married and got a job at a bank. When I was 22, my husband died in a car accident, and I had to provide for myself. I did pretty well at the bank, up to a point. Education is something that is prized in the banking industry. I finally decided that after 15 years of working in different jobs at the bank that I would get my bachelors degree. It has been very difficult competing with younger people in my field at my age. It would have been much easier for me to do college at 18, instead of my doing it now at 37.

Some advise to parents/students on finding the right college for undergraaduate schooling is to just go with what you think you will fit in best then transfer to the school of your choice. I say this because if you feel you fit into a school environment then you will accomplish more than if you feel awkward or out of place, that way you can get all of your GenEd classes out of the way and maintain a high GPA. that way you will be able to transfer to most other colleges. And as for making the most out of your college experence just be who you are and go with it. There are countless groups and organizations that have the same outlook on life as you do.