Wayne State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Wayne State University

Robin

I think that Wayne State University is a great college to go to. The student body is more diverse than your average predominantly white institution. The lectures are usually not that big and neither are the labs and/or discussion classes. Instructors, from my experience are usually an email or office hour away and they usually respond to your emails as early as the next morning;

Amber

I love it! I ALWAYS feel safe on campus, and if for some reason I don't, we have a program where I can call the campus police, who are actual sworn-in Detroit Police Officers and have them escort me to where I need to go on campus. Having a police escort, especially walking to the parking garages at night is a huge comfort. The atmosphere and camaraderie of the students in the Theatre Department is amazing. We all root for one another and work to build an ensemble state of mind. The professors are knowledgeable and helpful. That being said, I think that for a department within the College of Fine, Performing, and Communication Arts, the communication bit would be better in our department than throughout the rest of the colleges. That isn't the case. If I would've known some of the hurdles I would have to jump through to get my voice heard and to get honest treatment (in pertinence to grades and assignments), I may not have chosen Wayne State. While Wayne State offers many transfer incentives in the form of scholarships and discounted tuition, they don't have the best transfer program in place, especially in the Theatre Department. If you transfer with an associates and no theatre classes, it will be impossible for you to graduate within 2 more years because the classes are all offered at the same time and only during certain semesters, making it impossible to bulk up too much, or impossible to meet the minimum 12 credit hours if you already have all of your pre-reqs done. I also hate that you have to pay for parking. Overall, if I had to choose again, I still probably would've chosen Wayne State because of the friends I've made there. For the most part, the faculty have been helpful and kind, and my peers have been amazing. For that reason, I gave it 4 out of 5 stars. Wayne State definitely has some flaws, but what school doesn't?

Alexis

It's a nice university. The faculty is thoughtful and concerned with your wellbeing and your grades. The students are both pleasant and active in the community. Everyone here is allowed to have a voice and are encouraged to openly express their opinions. The environment is safe and it looks very nice. Overall it's a great school and I am glad to be attending.

Teshima

Wayne State is a great school for those who are used to large classes and doesn't need personal attention.

Ilona

Wayne State University is a diverse environment that makes every student valuable to the community. I always felt comfortable walking around the campus, there are multiple cafes on site which offer healthy options. Although I lived mostly off campus, I visited campus dorms multiple times and I really liked the cleanliness, fast maintenance and safety. Although there have not been any updates to campus facilities in a while, I am excited to say that there is a new construction project at Mike Ilitch School of Business building which will be finished this year. Moreover, there are 400 student organizations which students have the opportunity to attend after classes. Furthermore, we are the Warriors, there are multiple varsity athletic teams: Baseball, Basketball, Football, Fencing, and more. Competitions held against accredited and well-known colleges on the national level. All business professors I had are professionals in their fields. From my own experience, I love the campus and what it has to offer.

Dana

Wayne State University (WSU) is an excellent school in terms of its academic opportunities. It's a nationally recognized research university, so you can bet it has its name out there. The university is located in Detroit's midtown district, which is not far from downtown. While the campus life isn't extravagant, it's quite exciting. The university has a very "urban" feel to it. Some people have expressed to me that they don't like the university because they felt the campus was "dirty"-- whatever that means. I think they just aren't accustomed to the urban life. If you're not comfortable with homeless people roaming about the campus, then this school isn't for you. And, I think like any other school campus, it is not safe to walk around alone at night! If there's ever a time you stay late at school and need to walk to your car which is parked quite far from the main campus, ask for a police escort--don't forget, this school is in Detroit and Detroit isn't the safest place. There's plenty of student organizations to join and it's quite easy to start an organization. I was a part of a couple organizations and I loved it. My personal opinion, WSU is a good school. During my breaks between classes I'd venture out to downtown and explore Detroit, which I looked forward to. Most of my professors were helpful and sweet. You will get a professor that doesn't speak English well, but you'll get used to their accent.

Markeith

Pretty Chill, academically challenging , welcoming although black student enrollment has decreased its still one of the most diverse public institutions in the state. I cant imagine another University I would attend. Wayne State seems like the best place for me to be.

Katelynn

I like Wayne State University a lot, I enjoy being here everyday. The learning community is great, I've learned a lot in one year. The staff here is super nice and willing to help no matter what. I feel really safe here and love all the opportunities Wayne State gives you to learn and have fun. Love how many tutoring opportunities there is as well. I also like all the events they do for the athletic games, it's a fun time to get away from school work and have fun. Also, with living here they have a lot of different food choices which is good. Wayne State's housing is also great, I'm glad I live on campus here. Just a little expensive especially without having a full time job to pay for everything. I'm also on the cheer team at Wayne State and they treat us so good, and always willing to help us out no matter what it is. Just wish a lot of things here weren't so expensive like housing, food, and parking. But, overall everything else to me is great, I can't wait to spend all my college career here at Wayne State.

Wayne State University isn’t at all a bad school. I do believe that there’s ‘something’ here for everyone, but just not me. I was looking for a particular program and I couldn’t find it and finding the help to get into the program was even worse. My advisor was almost never reachable, no matter what platform I tried to contact her on, or what time of day I tried to contact her. Besides not being able to get into contact with my advisor, and not being able to find the perfect program for me, everything else was fine. The housing situation was very nice and living with four roommates was actually not as bad as people said it would be. My roommates were very nice, all three of them were different which made the living arrangement even more interesting. The food in the café was very good as well, but it does get a little repetitive eating there every day. Which is why I was happy that they had some tiny shops around campus where you could get a quick meal. Very convenient. Something good about the classes was that they were very fun (possibly because I had art classes), but besides my art classes the electives were nice too. All my classes were very informative, and all the professors were very nice and easily reachable. You could contact them through office hours, text message, or email and they were always there. That was probably the best thing about the school, and the fact that the location was good. I love downtown Detroit and being able to explore it on my downtown was definitely something magical. There’s always something on, or around, campus to go to and enjoy.

Kyle

Our campus is in the heart of Detroit, so there is usually something to do while on campus. The culture is there and the students are all friendly. The problem with Wayne State, at least in the engineering department, is the staff. I have yet to have a professor that i thought was outstanding, most of them seem like they have a lot of experience in the field, and they certainly carry the arrogance of someone who is an expert in their respective field; however, they do not know one thing about teaching. This college could very well be worse, and allegedly they are reworking the engineering department a bit, so maybe in the future this would be a college worth bragging about attending, but that is not this time.

Overall, I have been very impressed with my time at Wayne State. Despite what others may think, the campus is actually very safe. I prefer to tell people if I am going for a walk off campus, but common sense makes everything safer. If you have common sense, you'll be fine. The cafeteria options aren't that great, especially in the winter semester when you get kind of tired of eating the same food. New dorm buildings and apartments are being built to help students move to Detroit.

Autumn

Wayne State University is a very clean and well kept school. Despite being in the middle of Detroit, WSU is very, very safe and WSU Police are very present and visible. I have never felt unsafe on campus! Parking is good, there are plenty of structures to choose from. I am a commuter; but dorms are average and somewhat expensive. Off campus housing is not impressive. Academics are great; most professors truly care about their students. Advising is average; I would recommend researching your degree requirements and plans thoroughly prior to appointment. Student center and fitness center are well kept and great! Buildings are very nice, many are quite old and historical. Overall, WSU is a great school, and I am glad I became a warrior!

Craig

Wayne State University is located in the heart of Midtown Detroit, just a short drive away from Downtown. Although Detroit has a tendency to be a dangerous place to live, Wayne State's campus in incredibly safe. The environment is very conducive to learning. There is a strong focus on active community involvement, the results of which are very apparent to students and residents. Detroit has been making a lot of progress over the last couple of years, and there is still much more opportunity for growth. It is an exciting time to come to Wayne State, focus on how you want to improve the world around you and then translate what you learn in the classroom directly to the very real problems facing our community.

Aliza

I never thought that this school would mean as much to me now as it does. When I committed to coming to Wayne State, I thought I was settling for a "less-than" school, compared to the other elite-type schools in Michigan. In my two years here, I have experienced so much more than I ever thought possible. Most recently, I ended a relationship and that really brought me to a hard place in my life. Being on campus and experiencing the culture and student life was always nice, but I never associated it with being a way to get through a break-up. But, this school has given me so much, and that is something I can reflect on and see now, especially after going through a tough break up. It is a special thing, being able to call some place home, and that is how I feel about Wayne State.

Brennan

Over the years, Wayne State has been taking steps to shed its reputation as a "commuter school" lost in the depths of Detroit. For students who choose to live on campus, life is getting a bit more enjoyable. There are more food options available in the later hours and a visible effort to create events for students both off and on campus. Academically, the university makes pursuing higher education possible for many, many students. With flexible admissions standards, a wider range of students are able to begin their undergraduate careers. However, Wayne State University must to take greater steps at making students feel safe and welcomed in their academic environment. Students are given the chance to make it to college and experience rigorous curricula but are not given the academic and financial support to continue beyond their first year.

Wayne State University has amazing academics, they provide great faculty, equipment, and programs in order to guarantee success in your future. They also offer various different student organizations for everyone's interests. I'm glad I chose to attend Wayne State University.

Kristian

Wayne State University is a fine school. As someone who neither lives on campus nor spends an excessive amount of time there, I find the location, amenities, and environment to be sufficient. Classes are actually very good and I have only had issues with sub-par instructors or class content a handful of times out of 5 semesters so far. Class sizes are good and, in my own experience, many are fairly small. I have never met a professor that was entirely unhelpful save for one. I am not very active in extracurricular activities and groups so I cannot say much on that front but it's not as though there is a shortage of groups to join and events to attend. Housing in and around campus is overpriced, which is why I stay at home. Diversity here is pretty much unparalleled, which is great if you're trying not to bubble yourself away from the rest of the world. Overall, decent school.

Jazmine

I personally believe Wayne State is generally a safe place to learn, engage in conversation and extra-cuticular activities. I appreciate the medium size lectures our school has, and if there is a huge lecture most professors are available and have Teacher Assistants. I think the stereotypes and assumptions students have of others could change because we are a diverse campus. As a commuter student, I have actually found it easier to find new people, receive help for my teacher while I’m on or off campus. I found the resources at Wayne State useful and being in “community centered” atmosphere for job/internship opportunities. After completing my freshman year, I am pleased with my experience so far, and I plan to utilize the resources that I have access to.

Summer

I think Wayne State is an amazing University. Everyday I am exposed to new cultures, ideas and ways of thinking. Also, the academics are top notch and each professor pushes you to do your best. Each student is encouraged to step out side of their comfort zones and to look and see at what's out there. As well, Wayne State University is surrounded by history and rich culture. In the heart of Detroit city, Wayne State is exposed to various shops, restaurants, and entertainment. So, if you ever need a break from studying, you can walk a block down the street and indulge in all kinds of fun activities. Overall, I would not have been happier with any other school.

Victoria

Wayne State is a good school academically. With all the resources and facilities available there's many ways to succeed. The extracurricular activities are great as well as the diversity of the people here. The campus is safe and theres many activities and opportunities here. Although it is expensive and the cafeteria isn't the best. The pros outway the cons. I am a proud student.

Curtis

Wayne State University is a great school to go to for plenty of reasons. One, there is always something to do on campus like going to the fitness center or going to the student center and hanging out with friends. When you get to Wayne State you will be able to explore new opportunities here that can benefit not only your present but your future. Plenty of student organizations to join and when your not in the classroom or in the library putting in work; you can turn up on the weekends. Campus lifestyle is very diverse and enjoyable because the school is so diverse that you will see all types of people and you might even see someone who acts just like you.

Farhana

It is a good university, however it needs to be improved. Many of the instructors know the materials, but do not know how to teach. The class size needs to be smaller, usually they are not. The libraries are a good place to study, and it is well structured. It is a diverse university, which is a good thing to have. There are not a lot of place for shopping near the university, and the restaurants foods is not that good either.

Martin

Overall, Wayne State is a great school to attend. The professors are always available by email or are usually sitting in their offices. The campus is beautiful and there are many Detroit gems less than a mile away from the school. The DIA, African American history museum and the most gorgeous Detroit library. On campus there are usually some type of events going on especially during the warmer months. There are also many places to dine including the famous Slows BBQ side restaurant. Lastly the music school is amazing and there are so many talented musicians. If you are interested in going to Wayne State University I definitely highly recommend it!

Drake

the campus is really nice and there is a lot to do school wise but as far as = shopping and food goes there are not many options as there is no mall and very few restaurants. most things are off campus and that sucks, but the school itself is decent.

Bailey

As a Freshman just this year, reviewing is tough. I have visited campus 3 times and am moving in to my housing just tomorrow! I visited many college campuses this past year trying to make my decision and found Wayne to have all the positive attributes I was seeking for my future goals. I will never forget at Orientation THE nicest young lady, who was at the registration desk, took personal interest in me and exchanged contact info so when school begins we can get together. That one small personal touch was wonderful and gave me a sense of fellowship before I even begin! I am from a small town, so it is a bit intimidating coming to such a large city as an "adult" who still feels the pangs of my teen years I am leaving behind me in my comfy little bedroom. This anxiety however, is not to be matched by my excitement for my future and the great experience living in such a wonderful metropolis will hopefully bring. I am very much looking forward to learning, not only in classroom but in culture and experiences outside my own "little box." The campus is beautiful and walking down through it you can see the "old culture" mixed in with the "new technology". I am a bit nostalgic so seeing the old with the new makes me happy! Looking forward to really making my life a success and Wayne State is the first step out the gate to doing just that!

Ljiza

chasity

Wayne state university is s a very diverse campus, the students and staff are from all walks of life. The location being in the heart of Detroit gives wayne an edge, allowing for ample opportunity for students to get involved into the downtown lifestyle; concerts, shops, farmers market, art, sports, theater's and even living. I think that Detroit itself is a heavy commuter based city and a lot off foot based traffic happens, wayne state is no exception. That adds to the collective nature of the student body. Between the academics, the support and the people you meet I'd whole heartedly recommend wayne state to anybody. Whether your outgoing, shy, slow to warm or completely cut off from others I think you'd find a place for yourself at this university. Wayne states mentality is somewhere along the lines of, being there as your #1 education but also remembering you have a life outside the university itself.

Bridget

I've loved my experience here so far, but I will say that it is what you make of it. If you're not the kind of person that is willing to create their own opportunities, make their own friends, or join an extracurricular, I wouldn't come here. We aren't big10 or anything, but these are some of the kindest people around. I've also had a wonderful experience with the English and Classics departments--these professors work really hard and genuinely care for their students. However, be prepared for somewhat of a hassle when it comes to the more bureaucratic aspects.

Kavya

I'm a strict believer in the view that the stress that some high school seniors face on the night they're making their decision on where the next episode of their story will be shot, who the supporting cast may be, and what sort of themes, directors, and plots will be thrown in is completely pointless. I believe our stories are written beautifully not by where we go, but by what we do once we get there. Wayne State was never expected to me. It was the college down the street and always downgraded compared to the college sitting an hour away in Ann Arbor. I had not expected much to come out of the University; much less from myself. And yet, Wayne State has allowed me to discover myself in a way that I would not have been able to elsewhere; not because I wouldn't have had discovery at the other potential colleges, but because it would not have been the same path, and the X wouldn't have lied on the same spot. The experience of being in Detroit, calling the city pegged last in the US home, has made me formidable and confident. The sights and sounds of such a diverse college, filled with voices that speak a thousand tongues for a million causes has taught me so much about the world and about appreciation. The innovation and revitalization of the community, driven by the struggle and the ingenuity of its people, has inspired me to consider possibility and creativity, rather than to fixate upon the plan I had carved eons ago. Here I stand. Confident, conscious, compassionate, and creative. Perhaps I would have stood here in a similar form. But this is the stage I chose, the ensemble that formed, and the crew that came to be. And I could not have chosen better.

Bhavneet

I love this university. I love the atmosphere and the people. It's a beautiful university and I would not want to go anywhere else. I have met amazing people and had some great experiences. There is always something to do and it is right by midtown and downtown so there's an awesome variety of experiences. Proud to be a Detroit-er.

Melisa

It is absolutely amazing. Coming in there during my Freshmen year I was terrified! I worried about social encounters and how the classes would be. To my delite, Wayne State University is full of student who love socializing and helping one another. You create bonds, but at the same time your persuing your education. The teachers are extremely helpful and they're always there for you, even outside of class and when the semster ends.

Alexis

So far Wayne State University is pretty okay. The only problems I've had so far are with my bill for them. They do not really give you the truth on everything that you are going to have to be paying for. It is actually quite annoying, but this is what people have to go through to go to school.

Wafa

Wayne State University is one of the best school in Michigan . This University have the highest rate of learning environment and the highest rate of the safest school too. In this University you will get to learn and understand the lesson from the best profession in Wayne State.

mohammed

Great school for students residing in the metropolitan area.

Daisha

Wayne State is a great place to study- the classes are diverse and the instructors are happy to explain things to their students outside of class. The campus feels like a great community and there are always a ton of activities to do on campus. Even the professors aid to the community and are always easy to communicate with!

Alicia

Wayne State University is a great school. It is a very diverse atmosphere, and the overall campus atmosphere is very comforting for new students. There are also a lot of activities, clubs, and organizations that fit almost everyone, and if there isn't a club that is a good fit, one can be created. There are also a lot of resources on campus to help students with their studies. Overall I think Wayne State is a great school for anyone who is looking for a great education while getting a positive college experience.

Dhruv

Wayne state has a campus that offers a plethora of diversity. This has never been an issue as everyone takes into consideration the wide variety of people that study here when educating us as a body. The diversity also lies within the extracurricular where the student body transcends fun activities with a respectable group of peers who offer highly intelligent atmospheres. While some of the logistics are unfair for the commuter base in terms of parking, the university definitely improves ones street smarts in addition to their core education.

Kiah

I personally love Wayne State. It is considered a commuter school, but living on campus and getting involved with the university has made for a great college experience thus far. The student athlete life is super cool, and we always encourage students to come out to games.

Noah

it's aight

David

As a freshman starting at his first college, I wholeheartedly believe that attending Wayne State University was a great choice. My class sizes are great, my teachers are great, and I feel incredibly welcome by the environment. Being in midtown Detroit, it is very busy and lively, I love that aspect. Not to mention, I feel very safe, considering we have one of the most safe campuses in the state.

Victoria

I really enjoy the students and the classes. I have a part time job on campus and play intramural in my free time. The honors college is a bit of a joke the first year, but after that the teachers are incredible and extremely helpful once you get to the second class.

leisly

My overall opinion about Wayne State is that it has been the best experience of college so far. The professors are very understanding when it comes to not knowing something. Professor don't assume you know it all and help me through my courses. Transferring to Wayne State was the best decision I have made in my life. I made new friends and have had a great experiences so far. Although, I didn't receive financial support from the school which I wish I did so it could've made my experience better. Wayne State is a great school!

tori

i do not go to wayne state yet but i was looking forward to going i am a senior at sexton high school and i would just want to take a better look at the college cause ive been there before but i haven't had a full visit yet my friend goes there right now so im just looking to see what the future brings

Alyssa

Although people think that since Wayne State University is downtown it must be unsafe and I feel the opposite. I have never felt unsafe around campus.

Abbas

Wayne State is a great university, i am very happy i chose to pursue my education here. I am currently a freshman, and i am loving every minute of it. It is an amazing university located in the heart of midtown. All the professors are great and do a lot to help their students.

Donte'

Wayne State University is a well rounded, multicultural university. Plenty of activities on and off campus. The professors are available by email or office hours. Nearby stores, and restaurants welcome college students with open arms. Detroit, MI is my home away from home.

Duaa

I absolutely love Wayne State University. I love the atmosphere and the diversity the campus encompasses. Its in the heart of downtown Detroit which I absolutely love as well. Coming to the Detroit riverfront was a huge part of my growing up so being able to come to the heart of Detroit everyday makes me feel at home. I feel safe and at home when I’m here and I always feel welcomed and I never want to leave the campus. The facility and administrators and advisors are always looking out for you and want the best for you and will do all that they can to help you achieve your dreams.

Alarie

Wayne State University is a magnificent school setting where one has an abundance of opportunities and resources to be successful in their educational endeavors. We have dedicated advisers who yearn to assist us in planning out a academic plan and who are frequently helping us overcome a broad spectrum of hindrances or obstacles(i.e., educational, financial, and social). From my experience, the professors here are very fair and seek after the best interest of their students. Professors office hours are flexible and many are willing to stay after class if an individual needs immediate assistance with academic priorities. Another characteristic of Wayne State University that makes it very unique, distinctive, and attractive is its diversity. There are students and faculty members from various cultural and ethnic backgrounds who all have a similar objective, which is to assist one another in achieving our educational and occupational desires so that we may be a great service to our community. Also, collaborating with people from a variety of backgrounds has plenty of social benefits for the individual. For example, in the work place(e.g. medical professions) people will have to be able to communicate with people from numerous cultural backgrounds. Wayne State University is a great place where one will be able to have a foretaste of such experience. Furthermore, Wayne State University consists of many extracurricular activities(e.g., recreational sports, attending exercise classes at our fitness center, and attending our various sporting events) that are consistently propagated to encourage individuals to be engaged and active that will lead to a fruitful college experience. In regards to the safety of the campus, students have direct access to campus police. For example, if one was uncomfortable to get to a certain destination our police will escort the student and anytime an incident occurs it's immediately reported to students and faculty via email. Also, there are self-defense courses that are freely offered. Overall, Wayne State University will always be a school who's purpose is founded on providing the best resources for students to allow them to be successful in their educational and occupational desires that will result in them being equipped and prepared to be provide a benevolent service to the community.

Elyssa

Overall Wayne State is a decent school to go. There are some positives and some negatives, specifically depending on your major. The financial system is very complicated and hard to understand, so paying for school each semester is very difficult. Wayne State provides a lot of great classes with excellent teachers. Your class size depends on what type of class it is. As a dual major in Theatre and Psychology, I experience small class sizes in theatre, but large lectures in Psychology. The Honors college at Wayne, is also a lot more complex than it should be. When signing up for it, the requirements for the classes are not clearly laid out, which means that there are a lot of unexpected things that a student has to do once in the College to pass certain classes. The housing on campus is decent, but very expensive. Also there have been issues this year with maintenance not fixing problems in dorm rooms. The food on campus is not very good. Most students avoid the cafeteria as much as possible. A positive thing is the weekly events called Thursday in the D, where students can go off campus to an event as a group. Detroit has a negative connotation to a lot of the United States, but going to Wayne you learn that it isn't such a terrible place to live and that the city has a lot to offer.

razib

Wayne State University is a great college for a student who tries to reach their goal higher and concerned about their career. It always helps every student to determine their goal and let them explore more about what they really want to become. It gave students an encouragement to step forward. Wayne state University is a greater place where people can get their academic goal without facing any kind of trouble. It helps out the student with their financial aid and also let them know what kind of scholarships they are eligible for in order to reach their goal. The area of Wayne state University is really attractive and amazing to learn more about nature. It creates and advance knowledge, prepare a diverse student body to thrive, and positively impact local and global communities. The university serves every student with equality and as always everyone treats with respect to each other.