Wayne State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Wayne State University

razib

Wayne State University is a great college for a student who tries to reach their goal higher and concerned about their career. It always helps every student to determine their goal and let them explore more about what they really want to become. It gave students an encouragement to step forward. Wayne state University is a greater place where people can get their academic goal without facing any kind of trouble. It helps out the student with their financial aid and also let them know what kind of scholarships they are eligible for in order to reach their goal. The area of Wayne state University is really attractive and amazing to learn more about nature. It creates and advance knowledge, prepare a diverse student body to thrive, and positively impact local and global communities. The university serves every student with equality and as always everyone treats with respect to each other.

Nathaniel

2010 was my first ever visit to Wayne State by way of a summer camp program for freshmen high school students. Learning on the campus and having the chance to meet WSU faculty, staff, alumni, and current students made me consider the school as my first choice when finally graduating from high school. Now as student on the campus of Wayne State, the experience has become even better due to the growth and advancement of the school and Midtown Detroit alike. The overall environment of WSU is feel with excitement, and much promise. Finally, the majority of today's staff and teachers are exceptional in their teaching methods as well as the assistance and guidance provided.

Leah

Highly recommend this amazing institution. Wayne State University is highly reputable with outstanding courses and academia in addition to phenomenal faculty. Students also have many opportunities to get involved with research at this institution. I LOVE WSU!

I absolutely love being a student at Wayne State. The faculty members in the art department are incredible and I have gained an extensive amount of knowledge in painting and drawing. When I first started out in the art program here, I was strictly focused on building my painting skills but over the years of learning under various skilled professors, I've developed many skills in printmaking, sculpting, metalsmithing and digital painting.

Mackenzie

I have been very pleased with my experience thus far at Wayne. The location is perfect with it being right in Midtown, there are so many things to do! I am never bored as there are so many fun things to partake in on and around campus. Classes aren't too bad either and professors are fairly reasonable!

Abdulrahman

It's an good school for a city university. The teachers are alright and easily accessible but the quality of education is not great. Tuition is not too accessible and it isolated in a nice area of Detroit. Overall, I would give the school a 7/10 rating.

Jada

I actually like Wayne State University. I believe it is a great school for all we have a great amount of students that come here that are international students. They also offer a lot of majors. What I think is beyond cool is that you get the college life and get the city(Detroit) feeling. It's great and it's a pretty campus.

illusion

I love the university but the bookstore is kind of more on the expensive side. the school is filled with people from different walks of life compared to how it use to be a few years ago when I took a school trip to the campus back when I was a freshman in high school. the campus is still renovating but you can tell they are trying to keep up with all the mainstream colleges (example : Michigan, Michigan state, central) and they doing a good job. the people are interesting (at least the people I've met so far)and there's a surprising amount of people who are otaku/nerds so if your into that you would enjoy it here.

Makena

Wayne State is an extremely reputable school. The campus is diverse and welcoming of all students. Professors strive to bring the best out of their students and encourage them to succeed. Everyday this university reminds me of how grateful I am to be studying at such an amazing school that pushes their students to be the best they can be.

Blake

While Wayne State has a very solid academic program, it is not free from its problems. They try their best to spread the word that they're a very safe campus despite being around downtown Detroit, yet quite recently, a campus policeman was shot and killed. Additionally, they are money-hungry to the point where they charge you for every piece of paper printer and have outrageous parking fees.

Sharouq

It's an amazing school that is very diverse, and since it is in Midtown Detroit, has access to anything you need. The school also provide all the necessary materials you need to pass your courses with an A (free tutoring services, supplemental instruction sessions)

N

Wayne State is a great college experience. The campus is extremely diverse and inclusive. There are plenty of clubs, campaigns, and projects to join, and because the campus is downtown, there is always something exciting going on. One of my favorite things about Wayne State is their acknowledgement of all majors, be it law or performing arts. There is a place for everyone on campus, and you are sure to be safe. Resources life the Wayne State police allow for worry free fun. The campus police are fast and easily obtainable. Campus food is also pretty good, there are vegan and halal options, and many places around the campus offer student discounts. The only downfall when it comes to Wayne, is the outrageous housing costs both on and off campus. However, I would highly recommend!

Madeline

I believe in Wayne State University. I believe that they are striving to make accommodations for their students and creating an environment where everyone feels safe and can achieve higher learning. Although Detroit has a reputation as being unsafe, I have rarely felt unsafe on campus. My professors have for the most part been highly intelligent and accessible.

Austin

It's a great school to go to and it gives you a very diverse campus. Everyone is so friendly and are always willing to help in any way. Wayne State is a very encouraging school and they truly want to see their students succeed and do what they desire to do in life.

Ariana

I love my school;however, there are a few things i would change such as the food variety. I pay 2100 for not so good food. I think that because i am pre med this is one of the best places to be because of the opportunities and connections. I love the fact of how close the school is to different hospitals and in the heart of the city.

Imani

Despite it's location Wayne State is actually a very diverse campus which I greatly appreciate. It also has this charismatic charm to it that I can't put my finger on. I rather be bored on campus with my peers than to make the commute back home to be with family. Even when there is "nothing" to do on campus, there is something to do. While I do agree that some changes are needed on campus, especially concerning the food and dorms, I will say that WSU is doing its best. I really do recommend this college to anyone who wants to learn about the city of Detroit more or if they want to pursue one of the amazing programs we offer.

tabatha

I absolutely loved Wayne state university. I always felt like I belonged there. the professors were always helpful and wanted to see me succeed. Campus always felt safe. I never felt like a small fish In a giant sea. I felt like I was part of everything.

sabrina

Wayne State University is all about the dollar signs. They care little about their students and facilities around campus. Teachers brag about how many students they family and most of the lecturers actually care whether or not their students understand the material. Yes, there are some amazing teachers here who actually care but those are way out numbered by those who rather see their students fail.

Vivian

Overall, after visiting Wayne State University, I can see that they have a lot to offer. The classroom sizes, stores, and campus really impressed me. From what I could see during my visit, the counselors are highly dedicated to helping students with their troubles so that they can succeed in their education and have a good experience at Wayne State University. I am highly interested in attending Wayne State University for college. I feel that I will be able to get a good education to succeed in obtaining my goal of a career in the medical field if I attend this school.

Shaikha

It is a really good school and I am honored to be an alumni and recurrent student. Students can be involved in many activities around campus. Also, the restaurants are not as bad as many other campuses. The campus is also very much alive during the weekends. You can find all kinds of groups on campus.

Jahaan

Although there are many aspects of the school that could be improved. Such as the cost of rooming on campus compared to what we get, and the availability of activities. Sometimes I have trouble finding ways to eat depending on the time of day, and the university cafes could use a little more work. I absolutely love being a Warrior!

Heidi

My experience here at Wayne State University has been very positive! I love everything about it, the campus, the people, and the professors. They are there for you to succeed and want the best for you. I've definitely utilized their student success center. I coulndn't imagine going to any other University.

Markeith

The experience depends on who you are , and how open to socialization you are. The only setback of the university in my opinion is that it is becoming increasingly segregated. Other than that I would say Wayne State University is an okay place to be.

Shawntique

IT IS A REALLY GOOD SCHOOL

I went to Wayne State University. The class sizes are huge at times but they have a lot of options when making class schedules. They have a lot of courses offered are different times. This allows the nontraditional student like myself to make courses that fit my lifestyle. I worked and took night classes. I wasn't too involved at the school but there was something for everyone there. A student newspaper, a student body of government, greek life etc. WSU is located at midtown so there were a lot of options for shopping and night life as we were in close proximity to downtown. Relatively it was a safe place. I took many night classes and was involved in a few learning communities so I was on campus at night a lot. It's a good school. I am going back in 2019.

mone

Its very diverse. The students are nice and its a lot of fun in the winter. The teachers are very helpful as long as you apply yourself. The food isn't all that great but being so close the the heart of the city really helps when i comes to other varieties of food. It helps to have a car living in Detroit but the parking is expensive. The dorms are pretty nice.

Alicia

I really have enjoyed Wayne State. I have my bachelor's from Wayne and working on my Master's in the OT program. I love the location of the college as it is right downtown Detroit. There is so much to do and going on--so many learning avenues! The arts and museum district is just one block away. Wayne is very proactive in making sure their students graduate and are following the correct curriculum to do so. They have many volunteer opportunities available and professors are usually available to meet one on one, if needed. They also have a ton of tutoring that is cost free to the students and the advisors are apt to help and get you the help you need. I feel that WSU is personal and I have enjoyed my experience at this university.

Wayne State University is a great research university! I have met some good people here. My education experience has been enjoyable so far. Wayne State Police Dept. are very visible on campus which provides a safe atmosphere. The campus is well lit.

Joe

wayne state university is relatively active and smart giving the students a way to live in the way they feel safe and even free also the university really interact in keeping the students involved in anyway possible also the school's sports program is really going somewhere and getting better by the year making them great competitors.

Paige

Wayne State is a great university for people looking for opportunity and cultural diversity. There are plenty of clubs to join and events to attend. The only problem is that many of the students are commuters and do not get involved in campus activity. Despite this, one can find many things to do around campus.

Sasha

I’m honestly so glad I decided to go to Wayne State. I feel like it has provided me with opportunities I wouldn’t have had otherwise, and I love it here! The students and teachers are all so engaged in academia and it’s such a good place to collaborate with others.

Matthew

Wayne State is an urban school in mid-town, downtown Detroit, MI. I attended Wayne State for my Master's in the Arts of Education from 2003-2006. If you know what you are doing and you don't mind the edginess of the surrounding city, Wayne State can be a great experience. Mid-town Detroit is a blast and a Wayne State degree is well-respected. If, however, the possibility of violence or crime scares you or if you are not experienced in dealing with endless bureaucracy, Wayne State may not be the place.

Jade

I love Wayne State it is very diverse and allows for all students to excel in learning. I never feel unsafe. I am highly satisfied I chose Wayne state and would recommend it to everyone. The campus is beautiful no matter the time of the year. You will meet people from all walks of life you never know what you are going to get. You will gain more than an education from Wayne state.

Really nice school in the heart of Detroit, so there's obviously tons of things to do. Great campus safety, we have our own police department who have a response time of less than 90 seconds.

Jayla

Wayne State is a school full of opportunity for any student who joins, where from America or not. With its large campus and classes filled with many ready-to-learn students, there is no possible way that anyone wouldn't be interested in learning. Their clubs and after school activities are amazing and they always include students from every race,religion, and ethnicity.

Micah

Wayne State University is a great college. The resident halls are wonderful, they are very clean and home-like. There is a doctors office on campus for the students. Each student gets one free visit per semester at the doctor office. The campus is so beautiful and spacious. There are many of trees, monuments , and ponds throughout the campus. There are beautiful places to sit and do homework or even meditate. Wayne State also offer many students resources such as free tutoring, 24-hours libraries , campus jobs, mentoring and counseling services. There is also a fitness center on campus that is free to all Wayne State students. They provide rock-climbing, zumba class, spin class, meditation class and 3 floors of work-out equipment. Also they have a special section for women-only and 2 basketball courts. The staff is very friendly and dedicated to their job. The teachers will work with you when they see if you are weak in a certain place. They will work with you and provide you with help and tutoring services. The campus is very safe, although Wayne State is a open campus it is very safe for the students and staff. Wayne State have their own campus police that patrol the campus for 24-hours, 7 days a week and also they have active cameras throughout the campus. The campus is a great size and it is easy to find your classes. Wayne State also have bikes and scooters that you can rent if you do not want to walk to class. Wayne State have a pharmacy on campus, restaurants and stores that you can buy everyday items. The campus cafeteria is called Towers, they are a buffet style and provide breakfast, lunch and dinner. Wayne State University is a great college to attend, we have great academics, sororities, fraternities and sports. We are a dry campus which means alcohol is prohibited and also drugs. If you are caught using any sort of drug or alcohol you will be forced to leave the school. Wayne State holds the students to high expectations to be successful and make great decisions for their future.

The school is very adaptable and fun to be on. There is always something to do or somewhere to go that allows for the college experience outside of the classroom. There is an opportunity to meet people like you and unlike you, which allows you to learn so much more than you would from just inside the classroom. Wayne State University has been an amazing fit for me.

Sasha

Anything not directly related to housing and dining services or the financial aid office or the bursars office are quite good. If you need information on your finances don't expect a timely response, if any. Food is terrible and over priced. Dorms always have something broken.

Binta

I like it a lot. The major you are trying to follow there is always someone there that is with you to follow your passion too. The school is just safe and the peers and teachers make the community as a whole look safe too. The counselors and the workers there are there for you if you have something on your mind and you feel like something. You are not alone and we are the Wayne warriors.

Are you laid-back and chill? If so, Wayne State is that deal. Although there are plenty of opportunities to socialize, the university is very fitting for people with quiet lives. Professors are typically made to students' avail, an important factor if you want to prevail. Located in the city of Detroit's heart, a great place for exploring your life's personal art. A plethora of groups and activities to give students support. Opportunities to express yourself through recreational sports. Tons of fun and interactive things for students to do. Does Wayne State sound like the school for you?

Amelia

As a Freshman at Wayne State in the Business field I do not think I could have chose a better school. In the heart of downtown Detroit the opportunities are endless and the hustle and bustle of life is always full throttle. Wayne State takes full advantage of being in the city, such as doing activities almost every day and transporting us to festivals, games, and events. As a Wayne State student we get discounted tickets as much as 5$ for Pistons games, Tigers games, events like the Auto Show, and much more! For educational purposes Wayne State also uses the booming city for experiences id have nowhere else. With the new Little Caesars Arena, Google moving to Detroit and the automotive industry, business students are in a position to reach out to a wide variety of employers. Internships at places such as Fords, Plante Moran, and Ally are very common and those companies are even brought to us. One experience I had the honor of participating in was the Elevator Pitch where I got to go to the Guardian Building, looking over the water, pitching myself to company recruiters like Quicken Loans, GM, and much more. Afterwards I received feedback and interviews with these recruiters helping me expand my knowledge and getting ready for the business world. Wayne State is very diverse and holds opportunities right in its backyard, with any major you will find a local or national institute willing to teach and guide you along with nights filled of good dinning, shows, games, and people. Wayne State University has it all!

Jade

Great inner city school. It’s has a very diverse student body surprisingly. People of all walks of life around the area. It’s a beautiful campus, that’s keeps improving on a daily. The faculty is better than 90% of all high school staffing in Michigan. The classes are enthralling depending on the course you’re taking. The extracurricular activities are numerous, it can be overwhelming at times because there’s so much to get into. Wayne State University is a thriving, urbanistic, diverse, and academically progressive university. All in all it’s great, if you’re thinking about enrolling please do because you’ll love it.

Rashid

Pretty nice school to attend if you are looking to save money. There is a wide variety of different majors to receiver and there is many different types of activities. Wayne State is very under rated it could be one of the best colleges in the state of Michigan.

Kareem

My overall opinion of Wayne State is it’s a great school to attend, theirs plenty of schools activities the get involved in and also provide a lot of resources to help you keep up and improve your grades. With Wayne State being in the epicenter of the up and coming Detroit retortion their are plenty of off campus things to also keep you busy ( Little Caesars Arena, Fox Thearte, The Detroit Institution of Art and many more ). I think Wayne State is a Great school and will keep improving as time goes on.

Arianna

I liked it, a lot more than I thought I would! My initial choice was MSU, but i'm so glad I decided to go to Wayne. They were very helpful with scholarship dollars my first year. The classes are intensive and very instructive. I learned so much about my major. The food leaves a lot to be desired, and the dorm situation is a bit outdated, but their facilities are top notch and they have some of the best teachers and professors in Michigan. The best thing about Wayne, though, is the diversity, and the overall attitude of tolerance and acceptance on campus.

Bayley

I love attending Wayne State University. It is in a great location in the heart of Detroit with a great atmosphere. The professors and staff are always available and want the best for every one of their students, they do anything they can to help. The diversity on campus is amazing, you get to meet students of all races and ethnicities.

Nicholas

Wayne State is a very diverse and welcoming institution. The staff and students are friendly and are willing to help you when you ask. The extracurricular activities have something for everyone to be and be apart of. There are plenty of organized groups for students to join that involve mental health, general studying, and even things that are culturally relateable.

Devin

I think Wayne State University is a overall a great school. They seem pretty chill and I'm doing pretty good in all of my classes. I feel like as long as you pay attention, you should be fine. The food here is straight, but they have certain restaurants here that you can eat from. They taste pretty good and I think the school is doing a good job.

Kaziyah

It’s a large campus, inside the heart of downtown Detroit. It is bustling and busy but still it’s so amazing to see all of the diversity on campus and be able to feel included easily.

Maria

I love Wayne State University. I been going for two years and it has been good to me. The advisors are available with appointments and the financial aid office is open Monday-Friday. If you need tutoring, there are tutoring services available. Overall, I would recommend people to come to this college but beware of the tuition amount.