Wayne State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Wayne State University

Branti

Wayne State University is an awesome university in the heart of Detroit . This university is producing world class leaders ready to change the world.The university has strong ties with the community. The university provides programs that are helping to revitalize Detroit.

Sabrina

I’m very fond and likikijg of the environment that Wayne state presents. I’m excited to start here in the fall!

kennedy

my overall opinion of Wayne state is that its not too bad and I definitely wouldn't leave now that I'm here, but if I would've known the things about the school I know now I definitely would not have chosen Wayne state. The teachers here are not the best and rate my professor is definitely my best friend.

Kaylynn

Wayne State is a really good commuter school. If you live on campus there you should be aware that your last dollar will be drained at the school. Everything costs money, laundry, food, Q - line, rentals everything. There is never a lot going on, on campus on the weekends because most people tend to go home on the weekends. However, there are so many opportunities to succeed at Wayne State if you take advantage of everything it has to offer whether it is free tutoring in the academic success center, study groups, TA mentor hours, professor office hours, canvas everything.

alexis

Wayne State University is a place where everyone fits in and people are kind to you. Conversation is usually liberal and teachers aren't afraid to actively express their views, political or not. There is little to do when a teacher doesn't follow the syllabus/information on what the class will be covering. The advising center is usually helpful, but not always. The food on campus is okay, but extremely limited. There isn't really any healthy options available. I wish there was more places to snack at on campus, especially in the cafeteria! The parking garages are fairly close to the classroom but fairly expensive for a semester of parking, ~$300. The sidewalks aren't always plowed/de-iced right away. Lots of school was cancelled this past winter, 2018. Teachers will do very little to help navigate things you're dedicated to or when you're sick (and provide a doctor's excuse (medically excused absence). The buildings themselves are very old and fairly large. Many of them have multiple floors, tons of stairs (a pair of elevators - at most) and long hallways. You will definitely want to get to campus early and head to class very early. There are a lot of students on Wayne State's campus, most of them are super awesome but there's always the exceptions. I highly doubt I take my master's program at Wayne State. It's not the easiest school to communicate with or get things done in an efficient manner. It's also IMPOSSIBLE to reach someone on the phone and they don't actually read/respond to the emails you send them. You're much better off going in person and talking to someone... be sure to bring a list of questions and write down the answers! Get that person's name or business card for reference. Average cost for a semester at a University. I am taking 18 credits this fall and it will cost ~$9,100!!

Tylor

Overall a really good school and in a really fun area. I loved my undergrad years and look forward to my years in pharmacy school. There are many things to do in the area surrounding campus and despite what people may say, campus always feels safe and welcoming.

Alana

I have been looking forward to attending Wayne State University since I was a sophomore in high school. However, like life aligned how we predict it, especially when I was younger. Although Wayne State still got me excited to attend, it has been more of a high school experience for me. I believe that Wayne State is exactly what you are looking for if you dig for opportunities and are constantly available, meaning that one would have to live on campus. Wayne is considered a commuter school, and many of my peers who decide to join clubs or other various groups are forced to drive 45 minutes or more to campus through construction throughout the day. The construction also got delayed so it will be continued through not only my own college career but for every other student that decides to commit to commuting for the next seven years. This is a hinderance but should not be the point where one should give up only college entities, unless you have two jobs like myself. Nonetheless, there are many students that are not in my situation and appreciate the campus a lot more than I can, but there are students that are required to dedicate their time elsewhere, and clubs and group meetings are not in sync with that. Wayne has a rich diversity, and people of all kinds of distinctions and ethnicities attend with pride, it is a safe campus where authorities can be easily reached. The programs are wonderful and exhilarating, and most of the professors I have had pass with 4 out of 5 stars on ratemyprofessor.com Overall I appreciate my university that I am proud to claim is Wayne State, it is accredited appropriately, however just like any other college you attend by driving an experience is deprived.

Tatyana

I think That it is a overall good school and i happy That i chose To go here. I like All the activities they have on the campus and the events that go on. They are always finding ways to incorporate fun and learning together. Therefor Wayne state is a great college to be at

FELICIA

I love attending this university and they have a lot to offer to their students on all levels. Their faculty is consistently in contact with their students to make sure they are comfortable in their new environment. They offered tutoring to everyone who needs help with their classes. I have had an excellent experience at this university and would refer this school to anyone looking to further their education.

Kaziyah

Honestly, Wayne State is a home away from home kind of school the campus is very diverse and there is always something to do. I always see a lot of international students from different places on campus, so there is always a chance to meet new people. The campus overall is in the heart of downtown Detroit, and to be honest it is surprisingly clean. I don't see much little on campus but then again I also don't pay attention to litter around campus either because there isn't much! Wayne State is always renovating or adding buildings to campus which is great because a lot of the dorms were quite old and they are currently being torn down and made into new structures which is so exciting! There is also the STEM building which is almost done with construction. Fortunately the Anthony Wayne Apartments are finished and there will be a Beyond Juice and Coney Island added to the yummy things to eat on campus!

Mitchel

Wayne state is a very nice campus in Detroit, for being in Detroit, it is a very safe campus no mater if you are male of female. The academic are hard depending on you major but the professor are helpful through the class. There always something offered to make your college experience great.

Molly

I believe Wayne State is a growing school, who right now is a little unorganized but seems to be on the way to a great school. There are many things to do around downtown Detroit, and the school has many deals on Tigers, Lions, and Redwings games if you are into sports. The school also offers a learning community group for each class, which is actually extremely helpful.

Hajer

I love Wayne state and its a place I would love to go to when I have the chance, Wayne state has been my dream and its a really amazing college with great opportunities and I feel like I could learn a lot if I do end up going there. Wayne has great programs and the program I want to get into is a pre med bio program which they have so its amazing to see how good they are with that program which makes me want to go there even more!

Sasha

Good school, lots of student organizations, engaging professors, quality education, top research university Financial Aid, Housing and Residential Life, Dining Services, and Student Accounts departments are all terrible, gentrification in Midtown is making off campus housing unaffordable

Danielle

A very great school in Detroit and super Great within academics, I learn so much in my classes! Professors are serious and enjoy teaching us to learn to understand, they offer good amount of extra credit and help Students in need. Everything is walking distance from the school which is a bonus, I receive great exercise and save gas!

NaJiya

Wayne state is a great school for creative, artistic people and people who are looking to research. It also has a perfect location being downtown . Wayne state has not reached its full potential yet. They are still in the middle of redevelopment by building on to the campus.

Max

I love Wayne State because it is in the middle of Midtown Detroit which is growing every day and is cool to be in the middle of it during its rebuild.

Shelby

I have a passion for administration and hopefully one day owning my own music business! I’m not sure where I’m going to end up but I for sure know where I’m going. I want to get my graduate degree in Business Administration to learn more about business side of my future music business and I couldn’t be happier and I really feel Wayne State UNIVERSITY has had a very big part of that success.

Marina

I find that the culture of Wayne State is generally good. The main issue I find is advisor availability. At orientation, I had a lot of unanswered questions. I was redirected to an advisor, but it is hard to set up an appointment with them. Emails can only get across a minimal amount of my concerns. In my opinion, more of my tuition dollars should go towards hiring more advisors. It would make my experience here more enjoyable and would put me at ease. I should be able to set up an appointment and have my questions answered that same week. Overall, the advisor issue is my only concern at Wayne State. There are plenty of activities to get involved with here. Classes are usually smaller and professors are available through office hours. Creating more availability to advisors would make Wayne State the best it can be.

Camron

When I went on the college tour it was amazing. It made me apply there for my freshman year of college. When I was on the tour I felt extremely safe even without our tour guides. The students that I have met during this tour they were very nice and polite. I would encourage anyone who is planning or going to college and don't know which college to choose from I would definitely recommend Wayne State University.

William

Wayne State is one of Michigan’s top recommended academic colleges. The environment at Wayne State is very involving. There’s plenty of resources on campus to assist future Wayne State students along in their journey as a fellow Wayne State warrior on campus.

Laken

It is not often that a university inspires the creation of a new language component- specifically a verb. No student ever said “ I was Harvading all morning” or “ My professor Emoried in the front of class today”. This is where Wayne State University sets itself apart from the pack. The student body created their own verb to describe a unique phenomena that occurs at this four- year university. It is called being “Wayne Stated”. It refers to a mistake on the behalf of the school that creates a large obstacle and inconvenience for the student. Common examples include late disbursement of financial aid or the promise of a class offering during a specific semester just for it to become unavailable when the time comes. Students of all majors and levels are aware that when you attend Wayne State University there is no way to avoid being “Wayne Stated” at least once before you graduate, but thankfully the university componsets in many ways: campus safety, extensive research opportunities, and new growth. Wayne State University is notorious for its miscommunications that can cost students time and money. They do their best to overcome this by providing other benefits to their students. The notable is the impeccable safety statistics of Wayne State. Detroit is like any other city and suffers from many dangers, but as students transition from the heart of the city to the campus they will immediately feel more at ease. A strong police presence, well- walkways, and safety networks provide students with the necessary precautions. Wayne State University also boasts its status of being a top tier research university. Because the university is so interwoven with Detroit , it has outstanding opportunities for students of all kinds to complete research. This impressive feat lures many different medical professionals to the area which, in turn, provides the highest quality mentors and staff working with Wayne State University students. As a student at WSU, there is the chance to see the city and university developing around you. New growth is coming to the Detroit area and it is a sight to see. The campus is expanding through varying funds. Local donors are advocating for the expansion of this school and believe in its core values. Additionally, businesses alike see the benefits and opportunities that Detroit provides and are flooding into the city. This ensures a healthy local economy and job opportunities for current and graduated students of the university. This outside interest in the area also brings in delicious food, great shopping, and phenomenal entertainment. Detroit and the university are blossoming in recent years and will undoubtedly continue to do so. Being “Wayne Stated” is an undeniable part of the college experience at Wayne State University and is a serious factor to be considered. A college education is a serious investment and this commitment should be to a school that is right for you. By attending Wayne State University, students face inevitable obstacles created by systemic issues in the university itself, but they will take those challenges on at one of the safest campuses in the country surrounded by cutting-edge research and positive growth.