Waynesburg University

« See more reviews of Waynesburg University

The most important piece of advice for helping myself to make the transition from high school to college would definitely be to learn a way to efficiently manage my time. Adjusting to a college schedule is a significant change from the way a high school schedule is designed. The breaks between classes in college can sometimes be several hours, and those several hours could be used to get ahead on a reading assignment in a class or to review material for an exam in the class that is coming up later that day. I certainly did not always use my time as effectively as I could have during college, but I got by and did very well regardless. For others, inefficiently managing time could make a crucial difference in their performance. Along with efficiently managing time for academics, I would advise that time must also be made to just enjoy the experience of college. I worked two part-time jobs during college and was a commuter, and I always found myself rushing home after classes to go directly to work or get something else done. My job was beneficial to me, but I wish I had experienced more on campus.

Dear High School Me,You’re a student-athlete so don’t do something stupid. It’s not worth the risk of losing everything. The respect you’ve earned from everyone isn’t worth it. Stay on the track you’re on right now. Keep those A’s and B’s, but really, mostly A’s. I’m surprised you are settling for some B’s. Also, don’t get so bummed about that back injury. Your college volleyball coach will help you get better. Yes, that’s right, you reached that goal of playing college volleyball. Congrats! Oh, and stop that tanning for prom! Your date will think you’re beautiful without tanning, just because you got all fancied up for one little day. Besides, your Mom will be diagnosed with melanoma, but luckily it’s not in the severe stage. Another thing, make sure you thank your parents for everything they have done for you all those years. Trust me, they’ll still try to help, but knowing you appreciate the little bit they do help, makes them feel great. Lastly, follow your dreams. Believe you can, and you will. Simple as that.Sincerely,Stephanie

I would advise students to look around at a variety of colleges that they think look appealing on paper first. The next step would be to visit the college campus'. Often a campus tour will give the student a good or bad feeling of whether or not that is the place for them. I also strongly suggest staying on an overnight visit at the school if it is offered. I chose Waynesburg University mostly becuase of my overnight experience, and it has proven to be the best school for me! Honestly, the visit just felt right. I think everyone gets that kind of peaceful feeling when something is meant to be. So, first follow your brain by choosing schools that make since for your educational goals, religious affiliations, financial needs, location, etc and then follow your heart to narrow it down to that one perfect school for you. And parents, let your kids decide. By this age most really do know what they are looking for in a school. Trust their judgement and love them from a distance. They are growing up.

If I had the opportunity to go back to high school and talk to myself as a senior I would say relax and trust in yoruself. I have alway been neurotic and I can say that as I have gone through my undergraduate years I have been very hard on myself. I thought that I had to be next to perfect to get into medical school. It was not a healthy lifestyle to lead. Many times I would go online and search about different scenarios to make sure that I would still have a chance of getting into medical school. I would also tell myself to enjoy tennis. As I appraoch my senior year of college I relaize how much college has done for me mentally. I am so glad that I was able to play in college and I have been able to do so many things because of the balalnce a varsity sport allows one to have. Lastly, I would urge my younger self to practice paying it forward because being a force of good no matter how hard, is what life is about. With all of this being said I think college has been extremely enjoyable!

If I was given the chance to go back in time to talk to myself I think I would tell myself, "Just live." In my first semester I let myself fall on my face; My grades were low to were I was flunking out of college, but I still would do it the same because that experience of things not being as easy as they were in high school changed me. It made me realize that I had to take more time to study and simply grow up in life. I think if I could say anything I would tell myself what my dad told me after my midterm grades; "College is about growing up and accepting new responsibilities, you don?t have to become an adult, but you have to do what is needed for this time period!" I really thought hard about that quote for the fallowing weeks of my semester. I realized that my growing up meant that I had to start accepting my faults and just live! To do the things that college requires, putting those hours of studying in, going to class, and still having time for fun.

Just stay calm and everything will be alright. Remeber that during your high school years you had to study a little but more then middle school and the same will be true with college. Don't ever feel like you are not good enough, that you are not living upto your mom's standards. She has always supported you, but never told you that you have to do something a cetian way. You may feel like if you get a bad grade your letting her down but your not, will always support you no matter how much you feel like you are screwing up. Always remeber that no matter how hard it is you and your mom will make it. Don't let money, or the lack thereof, rule your life eaither. You have always helped your mom with money and she has and always will try to help you as well. Always remeber even if you don't have the money to go to school, continue to go. it will make you feel like a better person and it will make your mom so proud. She loves you and that will never change.

If I had the chance to give my high school self some advice, I would recommend taking a deep breath and living with the fact that I'm never going to be 100 percent sure about anything. There is always risk involved and there is always a bit of uncertainty. That fear and risk is normal and the pursuit of a dream isn't necessarily going to be a settling, calming, relaxing experience. In high school I remember being extremely concerned with finding "the right career" for myself, when actually there are probably several careers that I would be happy exploring. I am a creative person with many avenues to choose from and am excited to get started in Interior Design. I would have liked to remind myself that nothing lasts forever (if you don't want it to) and life is a series of everchanging cycles. Change is good and I will never be stuck if I don't want to be. Life is what you make it! If only I saw things that way at the age of 17.

If I could go back in time I would give myself alot of advice. First I would prepare myself more for colllege and study. I would especialy not procrastinate like I did in high school. As a senior I made alot of mistakes and it was a very emotional year for me. I would want to take all of it back and start over. I would also decide on a college alot faster then i did. I made my decision at the last minute which made things complicated. College was very difficult my first semester and it was becasue I did not prepare myself. I needed to take time on my papers, listen to what the teacher was saying and actaully understand what I was doing. Also I needed to study more in high school because at college that takes up most of your time. In high school i did not take many college classes and I wished I had. That way I would of saved alot of money. Overall, I needed to study, listen more in class and not procrastinate.

Don't be too stressed out, Shy. College life is great. You have an amazing roommate who has become your best friend, and you've also made other positive relationships. Community bathrooms aren't bad at all, so I'm not quite sure what you're worried about. Everything you could need is right on campus, but some things you may want are not, so be patient and wait for the shuttle on Tuesdays and Thursdays to take you to the places you'd like to go. The campus is in the side of a mountain, and your hall is at the very top, so you'll never lose your marching band calves. Don't stress. The transition was more than easy with the wonderful people around you. Don't forget to thank God for getting you here. Always say your prayers, and if you're ever homesick just remember that you're only two-and-a-half hours away. College is a wonderful time and experience. You'll have much more fun than you know.

I honestly wish that I would have taken high school more seriously. I know I am smart and very capable of getting great grades, but in high school I was given lots of extra credit opportunities to help my grades. In college, however, they are not so generous. Going into college with 18 credits my first semester was a huge change, but after the shock wore off, I was able to successfully manage the course load with 110% effort. I just wish that I would have really valued my education in high school more and was more thankful for the numerous extra credit assignments that I was given. I would also focus more on telling myself how important time management is. Going from living with very strict parents to moving across the country with freedom to do what I wanted was very different for me and it was a huge adjustment to make sure that I got what I needed done without being told to do so.