Weber State University

« See more reviews of Weber State University

School is about more than making the grade. When choosing your college, remember you're choosing more than a tuition rate or a fraternity. College should be enlightening, challenging and fun. No piece of paper will ever compensate for the loss of the life lessons to be gained in those rare college years, if any of those elements are missing. Before you decide what you want most out of school, decide what you want most out of yourself and your family. College should be viewed as an aid in building a fulfilling life. Decide where you want to be in the future. Choose a major that you love, that you can expand upon, and that will bring new opportunities and ideas into your world. This decision not only affects how much homework you have, but your outlook on life, your career, and your progression as an individual. Finally, build and maintain friendships during your college experience that will last a lifetime. There is no better study guide or stress reliever than a good friend. You will learn more from a friendSchool is about more than making the grade. When choosing your college, remember you're choosing more than a tuition rate or a fraternity. College should be enlightening, challenging and fun. No piece of paper will ever compensate for the loss of the life lessons to be gained in those rare college years, if any of those elements are missing. Before you decide what you want most out of school, decide what you want most out of yourself and your family. College should be viewed as an aid in building a fulfilling life. Decide where you want to be in the future. Choose a major that you love, that you can expand upon, and that will bring new opportunities and ideas into your world. This decision not only affects how much homework you have, but your outlook on life, your career, and your progression as an individual. Finally, build and maintain friendships during your college experience that will last a lifetime. There is no better study guide or stress reliever than a good friend. You will learn more from a friend?s kind advice or a professor?s open door, than any test bank or business journal.

Making the most of the college experience includes identifying not only the right academic program, but also any clubs or organizations that could expand the students' exposure to different cultures, lifestyles, and other aspects of life. In addition, parents should advise kids to carefully evaluate whether the school they wish to attend is a research facility or a school oriented to the working population or to those who run a business. Each type of school will have a different focus and this will affect how the student lives out their college experience. When a commuting student who owns a business or works 40 hours/week is thrown into a research school, their college experience can be daunting as the teachers will be less flexible and understanding of this type of lifestyle. Conversely, other students may wish to focus only on academics , and a research school is better for them as they will focus on grades, academics and perhaps graduate school. Helping your child discover their personal strengths and future desires for their career, be it academic, business ownership or corporate work force, will help determine the appropriate school for your child and a good choice enhances the overall college experience!

Finding the right college for the beginning college student can be daunting and challenging. Parents need to have an idea of what area of study or what career their student is considering. Searching the internet, talking to high school counselors, and taliking to friends can help to narrow the search of locating a college that would be suitable. Visiting the campus and going on the orientation tours is very important when selecting a college. Taking the time to ensure that a college is right for you can be very beneficial. Talking from experience, I can say that yes the academic side of a colllege is important when making the selection, but taking the time to see if the overall atmosphere of the school works for the student can make or break the college experience. Another aspect to keep in mind when selecting a school is the community. Are there activities that can fulfill other intersts besides academic ones? Remember that this school and city is where you will be living and playing for potentially the next four years. When selecting your school, don't be afraid to check out several schools to find the best fit for you.

The advice I would give myself would be to apply for every scholarship out there, be involved in school activities such as sports, clubs, alumni association, etc. I wish I would have known about each club at Weber State Univeristy before I actually started. When I was in high school, I never filled out scholarships, never thought about joining a club because I felt like I would be the "odd" one out. Never once think that when you are going into college. Go to college with an open mind and learn new things, join new clubs, participate in group activities and group discussions at school. Dont go to college thinking you are the "odd" one of the group or even the "young" one. Nobody cares what age you are at school. If you are outgoing, spontaneous and fun, people will love to be around you and want you to participate in everything possible. Its good to know your peers, classmates and your professors. Knowing your classmates and even your professors, makes your college experience even less frightening and timidating. Get active and show Weber State that you are here with an open mind and ready to engage in school activities.

Dear Reader, I graduated in June 2006 From Chatsworth High School it was an exciting experience after completing high school I preceded to Moorpark College. I started at Moorpark in 2006 and I currently am attending school there. I completed my AA in Liberal Arts in May of 2009. My next step and goal is to major in sociology and hopefully become a social worker. I will be attending California State University Northridge (CSUN) in August 2010. I am excited to get a jump in to a four year college and one day soon maintain my bachelors in sociology and then continue to get my masters Degree. I believe I can accomplish these goals I have made it pretty far already although I struggle in school because I have a learning disability, But that hasn?t stopped me yet. While in school I have had a few different jobs that helped with my people skills and learning how different companies are run. This will help me have a better understanding of the working environment in my future job opportunities. I have also done some volunteer work in high school I helped the Chatsworth Women?s Club which is an organization.

I have received so much out of my college experience so far. This is my Freshman year so a lot of changes have happened over the course of this last year. It was difficult for me to decide where to attend college before I graduated from High School because I wanted to attend the best University I could for what my major would be. Finally I found Weber State which has a phenomenal Musical Theatre Department. When I came and auditioned for the department to be accepted, I felt so comfortable and realized very quickly this was the place for me. That comfortable feeling has stayed with me through out my college experience so far. I feel comfortable in learning, growing, and discovering. I am learning so much both in my major and outside major courses. My smaller class sizes allows me a fantastic opportunity to have a better learning experience. Moving out and attending Weber State has been such a blessing and correct decision in my life. It has been such a smooth transition in my life and I attribute that to this incredible University and Staff. My name is Chris Weaver and I bleed Purple, Go Wildcats!

To Myself: This letter is to share with you the precious gift of hindsight. Life, in all of it's fast pace splendor, sometimes allows us little time to stop and check where we are going and where we've been. Once you've been gone from High School for 25 years with a beautiful family of your own, you will find creeping into your life a craving for more education. You'll want it so badly that you'll reflect back on your earlier years and wish that you'd embraced more opportunities to gain knowledge. You'll wish you'd worked harder and got better grades, because now you have expected that of your own children! You will have learned that life is simply a bigger classroom environment where you are daily continuing to learn discipline, priorities, compassion, perspective and balance. These are valuable by-products of getting an education. My advise is to embrace every opportunity with all of your energy and drive. Know that there is a special plan for you, but that later in life when the opportunity arises to continue your education, you'll end up going after it with all of your heart.

I wish I could pound the phrase “Lighten up!” into the skull of my 18 year old self. You see, high school was something I took extremely seriously. Life-threatening, future-altering, image-shattering catastrophes assaulted me constantly. I considered myself to be very self-important, to the extent that I convinced myself I was personally responsible for 2,000+ high school students and the image that our high school portrayed to the community. If I could forewarn myself about my college transition, this is what I would say: Self, Calm down! Now is the time to play and have fun. The rest of your life will be filled with opportunities to work hard and improve yourself. There is value in learning to relax (something we have always struggled to do). The world will not stop when you get a grade lower than an A. Truthfully; not one person will care, aside from you. Follow your heart in choosing your profession and future career. Remember to keep your feet on the ground and hold strong to your moral center. Love, Me. (Also, bring an emergency sewing kit to your first job interview.)

If I could go back and share my knowledge with my high school self I would say is “Don’t worry so much and have some fun.” All through high school all I did was freak about college. I was worried about having a Major picked out, professors who didn’t care, scholarships being hard to get, and how I was going to pay for everything. Between Honors and AP classes, working part time, regular volunteering, violin lessons, orchestra, HOSA and Spanish club I was spread pretty thin. I had constant stress headaches and no social life. Things have been since then. My classes are not hard. My professors all seem pretty nice. Scholarships, well I earned three plus a federal grant. And that answered the question of how I was going to pay for everything. I wish I could go back and tell myself to relax. Tell myself not to take so many hard classes that consumed all my time. I would tell myself to spend more Friday nights out with friends and to buy that cute new sweater. I would tell myself to just chill out and believe that everything would come together as perfectly as it has.

Looking back on my life I have realized that everything important I have learned, whether formally or informally has been imparted to me from great teachers, from Life’s lessons to my High School history teacher. For me there is no greater calling than teaching, and to be a student I feel there is no greater privilege. Many of the world’s problems could be fixed with proper education of the masses. This profound respect and deep appreciation for self and formal education has inspired me to become a teacher myself, assisting in the education of those in my community. So with this knowledge now I would tell my self to take high school more seriously and look for those moments in life where I can learn and give back. I would tell myself to not worry about anything and just make achademics my number one priority. I wouldn't let recreation get in the way of it but would tell myself to make sure I get outside and into the world and enjoy life. I would tell my self to not party, its destructive, I would rather spend my time building up my friends, family, and community.