Webster University Top Questions

Jenna

One of the most unique aspects of Webster is how many student organizations are on campus given the small population. Between the approximate 2,000+ students on campus there are 70+ clubs and organizations on campus run by students themselves. Everyone loves interacting with each other and talking about real issues. When tough times hit our country, many students didn't know how to respond. Many got together and reached out into the community to help others cope. Overall, it is a very serving and friendly community to be a part of.

Maria

There are numerous student organizations at Webster, geared towards athletics, culture, academics, or simply different interests. Ranging from the book club to the video game club to improvisation theater, students can take part in as many organizations as they have time and interest for. In any way, students can also take the initiative to start their own organization to meet their interest.

Marissa

There are so many different clubs and activities to choose from that everyone seems to be involved in something, if not many different things. Student Government Association, LGBTQ Alliance, and Amnesty International seem to draw a good percentage of the student body. Humans vs. Zombies also is a super popular activity with both males and females. Although Webster has a lot of commuter students (students that live off campus), the campus life is still very happening. I always find people to hang out with and things to do on campus, in the dorms, or off campus in the St. Louis area.

Marissa

Laura

Multi Cultural Center and International Student Affairs plan THE BEST activities--- lots of culture, trips to STL and other cities, great dances, speaker series, etc. They are the absolute best. LGBTQ Alliance is also large, as well as Humans v. Zombies, GTV, and AAAC. Also, we have an entire organization called Student Activities, whose sole purpose is to plan fun, free stuff for us to do all year.

Laura

Katie

I would say that the most popular student groups include SGA (Student Government Association) and Campus Activities. SGA is the main student government on council and has representatives from each area of Webster. Campus Activities puts on SO many events for students, whether they are living on campus or not, like karaoke nights, trivia nights, dances, etc. There are also plenty of ways to get involved on campus. If there is something that is not offered as far as clubs or organizations, you can create one! I have friends who have started clubs and the process is fairly easy.

Katie

Lexi

Living on campus made me realize that at Webster, there is always something going on! Whether it be a basketball game, or a movie screening, the events on campus always keep me occupied. I love getting to see movies a week before they're out in theaters. Last year I went to the Invictus premiere. The area around campus also offers a lot of opportunities. Blackburn park, located about a quarter mile from campus, is a beautiful place to play soccer or tennis, or just relax with some friends. The older part of town also features many restaurants and boutiques to explore in your free time. There is also a Starbucks right up the street, which I find myself in often. The Metro also offers access to all the other parts of town, including Forest Park, the mall, and downtown.

Stuart

There are 60+ clubs on our campus. This really appealed to me. The biggest club on campus is probably Student Govenment Association. I am involved in Freshman Council, RHA and Gorlok Television. In the dorms alot of the time students do leave their doors open so that other students can come in and socialize. I met my closest friends in the dorms. I really think that living in the dorms is a good idea. I would say that Webster is not a party school. If you want to party you will have to go somewhere off campus. On Saturday nights hanging out with friends in the dorms is mostly what I do. Off campus there are several dining options that will give you a discount if you have your Webster ID with you. Also, it is important to know that it is in a suburb of St. Louis so it is very safe. Also, because it is near the city there is alot of stuff for you to do there.

Jimmy

I'd say Student Government and Quidditch are some of our most popular activites. We have a pretty social campus. However, we have a smaller campus, so we don't have frat houses or huge parties or anything like that. Most of the time, people have apartment parties or smaller things like that. We also do have a ton of other stuff, like plays, performances, recitals, seminars and things like that, which are all really cool. but everyone here is really social and down to meet anyone, so you end up going to alot of things you wouldn't normally.

Jimmy

There are so many campus organizations! I would say some of the most popular include, SGA (Student Government Association) LGBTQ Alliance, and Students For Environmental Sustainability to state just a few. We also have a Quidditch team and Human Versus Zombies as some activities. But it is super easy to even start an organization on campus. Just some paperwork and signatures are pretty much all you need! It is even easier to join an organization though! Definitely attend our Involvement Fair that is held at the beginning of the school year. This is where all the campus organizations will set up stands in the gym, hand out FREE FOOD, and tell you what their organization is all about!

Some of the biggest organizations on campus include: The sorority (Delta Phi Epsilon) MCISA (Multicultural International Student Association) LGBTQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer) Alliance Campus Activities (They just provide free stuff for you to do! It's awesome! Intramurals, Casino Night, Midnight Madness, Stress Relief Week) The most popular sports games to watch are Men's Basketball and Women's Volleyball. There are always a bunch of theater productions going on because we have our own conservatory, a professional theater company, and a student acting organization. I moved into West Hall (the all freshman dorm) and instantly became friends with my roommate and my suite-mate. We are still living together (2 years later) and are still great friends. There is always something going on in West because there are 7 student lounges with Tvs and tables. Webster definitely isn't a party school, but there is always stuff to do. Campus Activities, and MCISA provide a lot, and there is a ton to do in the Saint Louis and Webster Groves Area.

Luke

Webster's student population is very small, but very rich with different forms of student groups and activities. Our campus activities does a great job at hosting events ALL year long, including concerts, free food, trivia nights, movies, etc. Also, we have 75+ active student organizations at any time. These include the Audio Engineering Society (AES), Ultimate Frisbee, and Quidditch! And of course, let's not forget Human vs. Zombies (which is now 2 times a year!)...

Jimmy

Maddy

Student Government, Human vs. Zombies, Quidditch, Newspaper, LGBTQ. We have a lot of student groups and clubs on campus, for any interest.

Jonathon

ResLife, LGBTQ Alliance, Humans vs. Zombies game, intramural sports, music groups, international/cultural clubs and alliances

Dana

It's really easy to join clubs on campus, as well take on leadership roles within those clubs. And if there isn't a club you like, you can easily start your own. I made a lot of friends on the floor that I lived on my freshmen year. I always had my door open and was constantly hanging in our floor lounge or in other people's rooms. When I studied abroad I gained a whole new set of friends, 2 of whom are now my roommates. As for things to do on campus, the theatre conservatory and dance dept have shows throughout the year that are free for students. There's also a professional theatre on campus that charges only $10 for student tickets. In addition, there are always club events going on, including a recent Art Prom with the theme "Fancy Hats and Mustaches".

AJ

If you want to be in a Frat straight out of "Old School" and go streaking like Will Ferrel...Webster's probably not for you. Not to say that you can't or shouldn't go streaking or join the fraternity (yes, the, as in one.) Delta Upsilon is not your typical frat. We don't have fraternity houses and hazing and all of that shenanigans like in the movies. It's a serious student organizations focused on friendship, character building, culture, and justice. Delta Phi Epsilon is our sorority group that is very similar. But like I said, these aren't you're typical frats...they're more like student organizations, which, in fact, they are. Besides these, we have over 60 student clubs and organizations with a variety of topics and themes, from Ultimate Frisbee, to Quidditch; video games to swimming. I personally in involved in the Audio Engineering Society, Gorlok Ultimate (frisbee), The Galaxy (student-run radio station), and RHA (Resident Housing Association.) When I'm not in class, you'll usually find me in a couple different places. A) Marletto's (or Crossroads) cafeteria, eating or telling bad jokes. B) My dorm room with the door closed because I'm getting busy with my girlfriend (you see, this is a joke because I don't have one...) but really I'm most likely doing some recordin in there. C) In the studio, again recording. D) Anywhere else on campus, like the quad, or random stairwells jamming. I have no idea what "normal" students do in their free time, then again I'm not exactly sure what a "normal" student is or if they even exist at Webster. I find the Library is a great place to be as well. The cyber cafe is open 24 hrs so you can use the computers in their anytime, and of course the Kaldi's Coffee's nice! Plus the comfy chairs next to the atrium windows are a great place for a nap (definitely dangerous if you're going to a little "light" reading before class...you will never make it to the class--you'll wake up an hour later very confused lol) Plus the basement of the library (I'm not even sure some students know it exists!) is pretty tight. I won't go into detail about it because it probably is Webster's best kept secret and I don't want to go down there and find my haven has become the new hot spot!!! Just know that it's an awesome chill area :) Apart from places to go, there's also some preeetty tight things to do at Webster (usually associated with the places to go, coincidentally...) like: The Webster Film Series - this is a FREE (to students) year long series that showcases all kinds of different films from different eras and genres. We've shown black and white silent films, like Charlie Chaplin and early Soviet films, as well as brand spankin new documentaries and feature films. Most of the films that are shown here are culturally significant--we don't get a lot of hollywood blockbusters--only the real hip films that connoisseurs praise. Our campus activities organizations will sometimes show movies before they hit theaters! Spring Concert - Each year we host a major band for a big hooplah in the spring and we put on a massive concert outside, or in the gymnasium if the weather's icky. We've had The Roots, The Flobots, Girltalk, and other tight acts! iFest - a.k.a. International Fest. This is where the different cultural clubs set up booths and serve free traditional food and there is music and dancing and much fun! Other stuff - There's literally a gagillion things that happen on campus throughout the year and it would be impossible and stupid to name them all, but there's def stuff to do...even if it's a simple as getting a midnight jam session on in the park when you find yourself awake at the wee hours and you know your friends are awake too.

Patty

Webster student life is one of my favorite things about the campus. We have over 60 clubs and organizations on campus. Webster has an organization to offer everyone from Greek life to professional organizations to video game club to Student Government Association. If don't see a club you are interested in, then feel free to start your own. All you have to do is petition and present in front of our SGA. I met my closest friends by living on campus. My two best friends have been my roommates all 4 years. I couldn't imagine my college experience without them. Campus Activities, which plan our homecoming and bring in a musical guest in the spring, always have the best events for us on campus. They will always give away free prizes too!

Andy

I feel there are a ton of pretty awesome organizations. I'm personally really involved with our Video Game Club, Habitat for Humanity, as well as this campus wide game of tag we do, called Humans vs. Zombies. We always have a concert in the spring, although the bands, are not always ones you'd hear on the radio (previously we've had Girl Talk, Flobots, Ben Lee, etc.) Alcohol is allowed on campus if you are 21 or older, although it's not very much of a party school by my experience. Most parties tend to take place off campus.