Wellesley, MA
Wellesley College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Wellesley College

Suzy

Wellesley is the right size for me, but that's because I wanted a small school where profs would know my name and who I was. There isn't much of a relationship between Wellesley College and Wellesley the town- it's a very rich, snobbish town so they don't really like the fact that Wellesley has become so international and that lots of people there are on a good amount of financial aid. Wellesley can turn into a little bubble and you can be captured into the "all I have to do is study" and end up doing homework all weekend long. Try not to get caught into that and make sure you get into Boston- yes it takes some effort.. but that's what the senate bus is for.

Wellesley has a group for everyone. They might not be big orgs..but they'll be there. Everyone tends to be very PC though (especially in class).. which can get annoying. You can wear wtvr you want to class..there are those who have time to get all dolled up- there are those who roll out of bed and into class. There are girls from all over the world and all financial backgrounds and everyone interacts. Sometimes there are differences between international students and their corresponding "ethnicity" in the states, but that can easily be overcome. Of course, most girls are left of center but you can find people of all political parties.

The fact that it's an all-girl school makes it more comfortable in class—there are discussion you couldn't or wouldn't have with boys around. You normally don't notice there aren't boys around until you see one or until the weekend comes.

All profs know our names. They make it a point to know your name within the 1st week or so. It's really kinda creepy sometimes. Students are always studying and always have something to say during class. In most, if not all classes participation will be a large part of your grade. Students are very competitive and can end up studying and working all week long. Certain professors will invite your class for dinner at their house at the end of the year or will bring in snacks during class. Wellesley makes you take classes in all areas- it's more so that you can be a well rounded person- it even has a gym requirement.

Wellesley is very low on parties. They banned our biggest parties a few years back but now they have them- just really controlled. Most people go into Boston or Cambridge to party (again here's where the senate bus comes in). For boys there's MIT, Babson and Harvard. For girls you got all of Wellesley. My closest friends ended up being my floormates 1st year and people I met in orgs. If you're awake on a Tues, you're prob studying. If there's a boy on-campus with no girl attached to him- everyone will wonder why.

That we're lesbians, that all we do is work, that we're catty

Quinn

The best thing about Wellesley is that since adversity and struggle break people together, your friendships are very meaningful and close. You have a lot of respect for your fellow student because at some level you acknoweledge that everyone is probably overwhelmed. The campus is small and usually dreary and gray but on a few sunny days in the fall and spring it is simply breathtaking. The lake adds a lot. Most people haven't heard of Wellesley so I usually just get blank stares. When they have a few are impressed and most are like, "that girls school? that must suck." I spend most of my time either in my dorm or in the science library. When I want to relax I have to leave campus even if its just to the grocery store, I can physically feel my stress going down. Wellesley, MA is probably the worst place for a college and Wellesley the school would be SO much better with a cool, thriving community of used bookstores, independent coffee shops, bars etc. Instead we have to go to Boston and spend money and tons of time to do anything and usually we flock uninvited to other campuses. I don't know anything about Wellesley's administration except that they should make it a priority to change the social life of the school, the personality types they admit, and make the "ville" better. Also housing is pretty bad. The closing of the overnight infirmary was a pretty big deal. School pride is kinda non existent except in a way "hey this is really sucky and we are all going through it together hooray." No one supports our hardworking sports teams. There is slightly more enthusiasm for cultural shows and dance groups, though not much. There is not one big event that truly unifies the school and given our small size you would think there would be. Wellesley is incredibly unusual. I think the reason our frienships are SO much more meaningful that at other colleges is a testament to how unique our experience is and also the women's college experience. Wellesley is an incredibly challenging, fast-paced (academically, NOT socially), and socially difficult place for some people. There are few schools to my knowledge that have such a diversity of people, life experiences and truly eccentric people. Wellesley students, while not politically motivated or that involved in anything other than their grades and grad school preparation, are very experimental as well. With their sexuality (probably due to boredom), sometimes drugs or alcohol, but mostly with their relationships.

I choose this school because it was the best academically that I got into. With that said, had I had other options I would definetely NOT have chosen it...and I feel the vast majority of students picked Wellesley for that very reason and/or financial aid, which is good at Wellesley. I have met very few students that had Wellesley as their first choice and with that said, the few I have met that were gung-ho wellesley were ridiculously bizarre and sheltered. Also fitness is not a priority for anybody. The way we get lured to events is by the promise of food. There is NO shortage of overweight women and food at Wellesley.

Tons of campus organizations to get involved in and continue to compete outside the classroom for who is more of an overachiever and going to take over the world. Students are involved and most social conflicts arise from these acitivities. Students don't leave their dorm doors open and like 5 people go to sports events. More go to guest lectures. Dating= non existent unless you have a boyfriend from high school, you're willing to settle for a huge loser, or you are gay. my closest friends and I met by living together and bonding over our misery and trying to make fun of the situation while making the best of it. I don't go out much but people do drink at frat parties at MIT and Harvard. I try to get off campus as much as possible but with classes and homework I usually crash friday nights and just watch a movie and pig out.

I think the major one is that we are all either wealthy, lesbian or socially inept. While that does describe many Wellesley students some are not. Wellesley it self is also known as a place where fun goes to die and you lose your social skills and to a large extent this is true. But you get used to the work, and with a lot of effort you can have fun.

Wellesley is definitely a very unique environment. The students there are definitely some of the brightest women in the country, and they know what they want. After all, coming to a women's college is not an easy decision to make. The greatest thing about Wellesley is definitely the academic environment. The professors are brilliant and accomplished and easily accesible. Its amazing how well you get to know your professors and how much they become more than just professors and more like mentors. When I first came to Wellesley, someone joked and warned me that every Wellesley woman becomes obsessed with atleast two of her professors. It couldnt be more true, you just get to know these amazing people and they become role models. Another advantage to Wellesley is our size. Its a quaint small campus with around 2,100 students. Around 50% of our Junior class goes abroad and so we have only 2,100 students on campus at a time (another great thing about Wellesley is people's willingness to explore new things such as studying abroad- and Wellesley definitely caters to that). You get to know alot of the people on campus, and that makes it all the more fun. People dont generally react very well to hearing that I go to Wellesley. Alot of people tend not to know what it is, and many others gasp and ask how I could possibly be attending a women's college. However, occassionaly, you come across the more enlightened few that congratulate you and ask how you go to such a great school. I personally try to focus on the enlightened few. Another thing one must know about Wellesley is it's a politically charged atmosphere. Every woman has strong opinions about one thing or another and will not take it lightly if her beliefs are not respected. In fact the campus bookstore sells t-shirts that say : " Wellesley Women: I am offended." Its a Wellesley trait that we all eventually learn to love after we realize how much we contribute to it. Wellesley in general is not a place that one can adjust to easily. I definitely didn't. I spent my first semester in pretty bad shape, but my second semester has been a blast and I couldn't be more grateful that I stuck around.

The student body at Wellesley is diverse. I'm an international student, and have many friends from many different backgrounds. Some might say that some groups are under represented, however I wouldnt say that any of them are non-existant. Its a typical elite school. 10% international, 5% African American, 25% Asian American/ Pacific islander (including South Asian), 7% Latina and 45% White. And people are from many different economic backgrounds. Racial and ethnic groups are very active on campus and I find that people are very open to learning from one another. I did have my complaints about how little people knew about where I come from, but that was me setting my sights too high. People are difinitely interested in knowing about one another. Our multi cultural requirement also adds to that. In addition we have many different students that identify with different sexual orientations. They too are very active. A great thing about Wellesley is that everyone interacts with one another, and its easy to go from one group of people to the other. People are politically aware, and active and its not difficult to be active on campus.

Wellesley is an amazing place to be. It is so full of opportunies and of amazing women who I am sure will make a difference in the world. People can be really cautious of a women's college, but Ive come to love Wellesley. Its not perfect, but the pros out-weigh the cons.

As I said earlier academics at Wellesley are nothing less than amazing. Ive enjoyed every class I've taken till now. Some more than others, but I have no complaints. Professors here definitely get to know you by name. They are very generous with their office hours and get to know you personally. We even have some departments which choose to have dinner with their students in a less formal environment. Alot of professors even go as far as enviting their classes to their homes. Class participation at Wellesley is VERY common and intellectual conversations outside of class are even more common. Wellesley students definitely have to do alot of studying. As great as the classes can be, there is NO easy A at Wellesley. However, it depends on the student and her courses, but I cannot say that one can slack and make it at Wellesley. In addition, students here can be competitive. Like every other school there is always THAT girl that's trying to hog all the attention in class, already looking up law schools in her first year, and refuses to share her notes. Another thing about Wellesley is that its very "learning for its own sake". Its not very career oriented, and students learn to learn not to get a job. Although, again, there are exceptions.

Social life at Wellesley can be lacking. One has to make a very special effort to have a social life off of campus. I have a very good time with my Wellesley friends, but it usually includes dinner and a movie. Very often we also have parties on campus, people who are "party people" can find a party on most weekends. In addition, Wellesley girls tend to spend a good amount of time at Harvard and MIT, at one frat or the other. Ive found it quite difficult to make Harvard and MIT friends, but others have found it easy. So I guess it depends. As far as activities and extracurriculars go, you can find something for any interest. Groups on campus are plenty. Im fairly active on campus, and I love it. Most people at Wellesley are involved in extracurriculars. Students at the dorms are very friendly. People do keep their doors open, and become fairly attached to their resident halls. However, every dorm differs. The West side of campus is well known for its great resident life. I lived on the East Side first year and people keep their doors closed more often, but are still very friendly. There is always something exciting going on on campus as far as speakers and events go. There is always a great speaker coming, and its hard to keep up. However, as far as parties and social events go, we do OK, but Wellesley is not a party school.

Sadly, deprived and easy. OR Uptight and conservative.

I think a lot of people assume that Wellesley is a distinctly not fun place to go to college because there are so few parties and because most of the students make no secret of how seriously they take academics. When I've told people that I go to Wellesley, they frequently confuse it with Wesleyan, but when they are familiar with the school, they often ask me about the lesbian-until-graduation phenomenon, what it's like going to an all-women college... Although Wellesley is frustrating sometimes, largely because of the lack of boys and because of the very tame social scene, I really appreciate the atmosphere more than I dislike it. I'm not the biggest party-girl anyway, so I have no problem going off campus to party, then coming back to a nice, serene campus. The nice thing too is that if I want to stay in on a Friday night to get a head start on some homework, no one judges me or makes me feel like I'm wasting my life with my books. Everyone is very respectful of everyone else's decisions, at least in my experience so far. My only complaint is that Wellesley girls can sometimes be kind of cold, and that they don't make much effort to talk to other people.

At the risk of sounding really racist, I think one of the clique-y-est groups at Wellesley is the Asians, probably seconded by the African Americans. However, no groups on campus, religious, racial, sexual orientation/gender, socio-economic, political, or whatever are actually in-your-face about anything unless it happens to be Latina Pride Month or something like that. For the most part, I think students get along and interact. To be honest, I don't know much about what socio-economic backgrounds dominate, since most people don't flaunt their relative wealth, but I do know that the majority of my friends have some kind of financial aid. I think that very girls who are very conservative, in terms of religion, politics, and social issues, would feel out of place at Wellesley because there's a heavy emphasis on awareness and sensitivity to others' situations. Wellesley students generally are politically aware and active, and mostly liberal.

I think pretty much all of them are, but I would also argue that the majority of Wellesley's students do not fall into any of the above categories.

I've loved almost all of my classes at Wellesley. All my professors have been really outstanding, and I have always felt motivated to come to class just because I don't want to miss what my professor will say that day. I would definitely say that Wellesley classes are geared toward learning for its own sake, but the topics are not so obscure that one could never hope to apply them in real life. Probably the most unusual class I've taken so far was a sociology course called Masculinities, in which we studied the different types of masculinities in society, the possible explanations for why the genders act the way they do, and the rapidly changing gender dynamics in today's society. I really enjoyed taking this class because I felt it was a great alternative to the typical women's studies classes, and it helped me to think beyond feminist propaganda about the actual situation in which the sexes find themselves now. It was taught by two male professors, an older one who wore bow ties and tweed jackets all the time, and a younger one who was kind of loud and liked to joke around a lot. It was very entertaining to watch them play off of each other. As for competition, yes, students are very competitive, but not in an overt way. There are just a lot of really bright girls at Wellesley who are very driven and eager to share what they know. Class participation is quite common, unless it's a lecture-style class.

Club sports teams, especially ultimate frisbee and rugby, seem popular. A lot of people become involved in reslife or student government, too. I'd say those are the most popular extracurricular activities. I'm in an a cappella group and a dance company, and I met my closest friends through both of those, particularly a cappella, since we rehearse together almost every day. I especially love my a cappella group because each member is so talented, and has a really distinct personality, very quirky. I like a cappella parties so much better than frat or society parties because they're more intimate and because I like the people better. Students leave their rooms unlocked all the time, although people who live in singles tend to lock them more, I guess because they don't have to worry about accidentally locking out their roommate. A lot of the cultural shows on campus are extremely popular, more so I think than athletic events or plays. People really seem to embrace opportunities to learn about other cultures. Some people make it a point to party every weekend, and sometimes there are parties on campus, usually hosted by a society, which is similar to a sorority, that they can go to, but for the most part, they go off campus. When I go off campus, it's usually to take a ballet class, go shopping, or to go out to a cute restaurant. I especially like the atmosphere at Harvard Square. Generally speaking, Wellesley girls don't party that much. I know lots of people who have never even tasted beer before.

Oh dear, there are quite a few stereotypes about what kinds of girls go to Wellesley... There's the flaming gay, the uptight career girl, the militant feminist, the ardent Hillary supporter, the studious daydreamer who's completely divorced from reality, the virgin, the sexually frustrated girl who spends every weekend at MIT...

morgan

I found wellesley to be the literally the perfect fit for me. there are always a handfull of wellesely women that end up transfering to coed institutions after their first year, because of the lack of males, or feeling isolated on campus. I found getting off campus with a few other girls actually really easy. if you want to explore boston, meet guys, and have a social life, you have to put forth the effort. Wellesley tries to make this easier for us with the bus systems which take wellesley students into boston every hour. from any of the bus stops you can then take the subway or taxi anywhere in boston. It takes homework, effort, and always helps to have friends with you. I found wellesely to be a both a stimulating academic enviorment, but also a safe one that i always returned to when i needed to focus. It does feel seperate from the rest of boston, but that is why i would go out every weekend even for just a movie with the girls.

the campus has literally hundreds of organizations. All of which are usually easy to become involved in. the campus is mostly democratic, although there is a republican group. Racially i found the student body to be very diverse, but i come from the white bread midwest. The majority of the student body are white or asian, but there is a nice mixture of all sorts of race and cultures. Students are from all over the world. The economic status of the girls usually fall into the upper middle class, but there are many variations. Because of the financial aid packages, i have met many women coming from families of the much lower end of the economic spectrum. There is a strong sense of school spirit, but what i found to be the best thing about wellesley is how supportive the enviorment is to all students. Being an all girl school, that alone both unites, and allows many of the students to speak up about things they would otherwise deem taboo. I have never been in such an accepting enviorment of differnt beliefs, lifestyles, sexualities, race, and economic status. (except repubicans...they are not as easily embraced. I am a registered repubican, although am closer to independent. this was met with more hostility than any other issue i could ever think up. :p ) no one will attack you for your political stading, but if you are not full blood democratic, you can expect some heated debates.

we do have a gay and bi percentage of the wellesley population, but no more so than most other coed colleges. At wellesley they are just a little more relaxed to be able to speak out about it. I would say that there are some wellesely girls that are "desperate," because they exist everywhere, but from my experience they are hard to find. We can go anywhere, to many campuses and meet men easily on a regular basis. we may not live with them, but iv never found finding men a problem. I would call the majority of wellesely students to be intelligent and independent women. They are in an eviorment that fosters that. As for whether we are dating material, that depends on the girl. there are many women that attend mit frat parties and harvard underground parties with no intention of finding a bf. they are there to find a hookup, or just dance with their friends. But we are better known for integrity.

the academics at wellesley are challenging, if not simply difficult, but the proffesors are there to get to know you, establish relationships, and push you. They will challenge you, and hard work is expected. But the proffesors do take personal interest in you-i was having a very hard time with my french class, and my teacher took me to the side and after repeatedly telling me to see the tutor, she took me to meet her after class and schedule weekly meetings. she also scheduled to meet with me once a week outside of class for one on one practice. I dont know if i would have passed the course without her. All of my teachers have shown that same kind of interest in their students. They have conference hours for visits, but if they are in their office they will take anyone regardless if its visiting hours. I have had teachers take groups of their students to lunch to get to know them, and every teacher makes an effort to know everyones names. we have small classes for that reason-to forge those relationships.

Wellesley is full of traditions, and has hundereds of different organizations. There are always free lectures going on, theater productions, and crew is a big sport. Students leave their doors open, and my roomate and i almost never locked the door all year. I met my closest friends during orientation week and the bonds grow from there. There are 4 of us that are almost like family, and i have never had such close friendships. there are always a handfull of wellesely women that end up transfering to coed institutions after their first year, because of the lack of males, or feeling isolated on campus. I found getting off campus with a few other girls actually really easy. if you want to explore boston, meet guys, and have a social life, you have to put forth the effort. Wellesley tries to make this easier for us with the bus systems which take wellesley students into boston every hour. from any of the bus stops you can then take the subway or taxi anywhere in boston. It takes homework, effort, and always helps to have friends with you. I found wellesely to be a both a stimulating academic enviorment, but also a safe one that i always returned to when i needed to focus. It does feel seperate from the rest of boston, but that is why i would go out every weekend even for just a movie with the girls.

there are stereotypes about wellesley students-from wide ranges depending on who u talk to. we have been known for being both desperate for men(since we have none), and very smart, independent women. we are stereotyped for being lesbians, or at least experimenting. However regardless of these stereotypes, wellesley women can usually get into any harvard or mit party by simply saying you are from wellesley. We are definantly percieved as dating material.

Hunter

Wellesley is good for academics. However, there are a lot of cons. It's much too small. You'll feel like you're in summer camp with a bunch of gossipy 12 year olds. I think that the gossip is fueled by the utter boredom and complete lack of a social life students fester in all semester. People also leave campus the second the weekend comes around, so don't expect to have fun on campus much. Wellesley administration talks a lot about multiculturalism but they don't have a clue as to what the words coming out of their mouths mean.

Tries to be very politically correct, but at the expense of having legitimate discussions and moreso over fussing about tiny details. Good thins is that Wellesley is much more conscious of gender politics than any other campus, but all in all Wellesley is not a place for people looking for a lively, active, interesting, political, social atmosphere.

I would not recommend Wellesley at all. If you can go to any other well-"ranked" school, go there. You will be miserable here.

A good number of Wellesley women do throw themselves at guys, but women (and men) do this everywhere. It's just easier to point us out and go "ooh." But no, we're not all desperate for men, nor are we all lesbians.

Good. Most classes are academically strong, while some are lacking. A lot of department politics, so sometimes you see really amazing professors (forced to) leave. Students brown nose a lot, professors eat it up. Students don't seem to study much together or help each other out so much. Academic requirements are burdensome.

Students shut their doors and are not open to making new friends after their first year.

A common stereotype is that Wellesley women are all desperate for men and go out stealing MIT men from the MIT ladies in particular. Another stereotype is that we're all lesbians.

Wellesley is a beautiful place. It is located on a picturesque campus with a lake, tons of trees and beautiful buildings. The student body is about 2,400, perfect as far as I'm concerned. Oh yeah, and they are all women. However, we are not male-o-phobic. We interact with men/ boys however much we choose too. I don't miss them much in class. The facilities are great! Our library is beautiful and the classrooms are well-equipped. The campus center is also brand new. The athletic facilities could use a little work. The town of Wellesley (the Ville) is not a college town. It is an upper-class suburb of Boston. It does have some conveinent stores like CVS, Gap and Breuger's Bagels. Wellesley also has a great reputation among those in the know.

Students are very PC, almost to an unnessecary degree in my opinion. They are very accepting of other groups and cultures. Contrary to popular belief, there is not typical Wendy Wellesley, rather all types of students interact and befriend one another. Students also come from all over the country and all over the world. One word to describe Wellesley students: PASSIONATE. About what? Anything. Synchronized swimming, politics, math, anything. The list goes on and on. Wellesley students really care about something. That said, in general Wellesley is a liberal place.

It is not true that all Wellesley women are gay. It is true that those who do identify with the LGBT community may be less fearful to express themselves because Wellesley is more non-judgemental than other schools. Yes. We work really hard.

Academics at Wellesley are probably the best part. Professors, in general, are caring, understanding and passionate. Students are passionate too, about academics and everything else. Every department has it's pros and cons. The best departments are probably Economics and Art History. The only problem I have found with academics is the prevelance of grade deflation. The policy is that in a 100 or 200 level class, the average must be no greater than a B+. This can become a problem because it forces students to compete with one another and forces the mentality that if everyone gets an A, nobody gets an A. Even though students might not want to compete, they may have to.

Students are willing to talk to one another and are pretty open to meeting new people. Some students are primarily concerned with academics while others like to go into Boston every weekend. Your social life here is what you make of it.

Some people think that just becuase we go to a women's college, everyone is gay. This is obviously not true. Wellesley women work very hard and are very determined.

Jessie

Starting with the Wellesley campus- gorgeous. It's a great balance between nature and city. It's a large enough campus that it is diverse and intricate and at the same time it is small enough that from opposite side of campus are within walking distance. When I tell people I go to Wellesley, I generally get one of two reactions: 1) Wow, it's so prestigious etc. 2) Where's/What's that? Given, I am from the opposite side of the country so not as many people might not have heard of Wellesley. But those who have are aware of the prestige and challenge that is Wellesley. There is a lot of school pride- mainly in the fact that we are an all women's college. We take pride in that- it takes a certain discipline to decide to attend a women's college. That's the unique thing about Wellesley- it's all women, aside from the few male students taking a course a Wellesley. These guys usually come from nearby colleges.

The best thing about Wellesley is the intimacy. It feels more community like aside the colleges that have some 25,000 students. I think the only thing I would change is increasing the size of the library. Wellesley feels right. Everything is within walking distance. It may feel small at times, but when I think about it, if it were bigger, then it becomes difficult to get to places and it doesn't feel as safe. I get two reactions when I tell people I go to Wellesley: awe because they know Wellesley is prestigious and either admiration that I chose an all women's college or sympathy that there are no men. Half of my time is in class/at work/meetings. I would say the other half is spent in my dorm or at the library. What college town? There is a little ville outside the campus about five minutes walking. That's where the shops and restaurants are. Due to some recent events, I am thinking there is some disorganization in the funding committee for lectures and cultural events. But aside from that, I have had a good experience with the dean's office, admissions, and financial aid. The most recent controversy would probably be that a Wellesley student attempted to murder her ex-boyfriend at a nearby college. There is definitely a lot of school pride! "Wellesley women who will" is a popular phrase often used to motivate students. When it comes to unusual things, I think it would be that Wellesley goes out of its way to keep controversies such as the one mentioned, quiet. Also I hear that there have been suicides, but the college has kept that quiet as well, kind of sweeping it under the rug. One thing I will always remember is going into the lake as initiation. It was cold and I almost lost my shoes! The "Wellesley bubble" is the biggest complaint. The Wellesley bubble is a term used to mock Wellesley's "everything is happy happy happy, let's not talk about the suicides that just happened la la la" attitude.

I could tell you coming in to Wellesley, I was probably one of the minorities of minorities. I was a pansexual, Wiccan, lower-middle class Mexican. And yet, I have managed to feel like I was a part of this campus and not some sort of oddball. I became involved with Wellesley's LGBT organization, the Latina organization, and the Pagan group and found people I can share a background in. My socio-economic status was not a large factor in whether I got along with certain people or not- it just didn't matter. I feel that even if students are worlds apart, it is still possible to get along. For example, my roommate was the type of person who reads Cosmogirl, Vogue, and really picked her outfits well, took the time to do her hair all nice, and her make-up etc. I was the type of person who would wear mostly black outfits, couldn't care less about makeup, doing my hair meant brushing it, and I didn't read any sort of magazine. When we saw each other for the first time, I'm pretty sure both of us must have thought that the housing office had mistakenly paired us up. Nevertheless, we still respected each other, we didn't become BFFs but we sure didn't set up a wall between us. We say hi to each other whenever we see one another even after we don't live together. So yes, I do believe that different people can interact.

Not really- well the rich student part anyway. Sure there were the well-off people, then there were the middle class people, and then the not-so-well off people. When it came to academics and being independent, that's what was true for the most part.

As Wellesley is a Liberal arts college, learning is mostly geared for its own sake. Of course Wellesley has the Center for Work and Service to help guide students with jobs and internships, but I feel that Wellesley requiring students take, for example, foreign language, math, science, multicultural class, etc. is a great way of learning about everything, and not just sticking to science courses if you plan to be a doctor or something. Wellesley is really competitive. The grading policy, of which I was not aware of until after I accepted Wellesley's offer to attend, also makes competition a little higher. (The grading policy states that the class average cannot be greater than a B+) Just about everyone is up at 2-3 in the morning studying or completing assignments or some other ridiculous hour. In particular, science majors, like me; science course are like a two courses in one- one lecture and one lab so it requires more time. Another thing I absolutely love- even as a first year- all my professors know me and my name. This is why I preferred going to a private school- smaller campus. Had I gone to a state school, I'm sure I would not be able to say that all my professors know my name. I've even gone to a professor's house for something not academic, I keep in touch with professors even if I am not taking any classes with them. It's great to have this kind of opportunity available to students.

Depending on where you live (dorm), you can either live on the floor/dorm that always locks their doors or leaves their doors open so you can stop by and say hello and vice versa. First semester I lived in the former scenerio. Second semester, I lived in the latter. So I can only say this- open your doors!! Now I don't mean 24/7 but when you are in your room and can afford to reply with a hello to passing floormates, then you should open your door. What most women worry about when they accept to attend Wellesley is where they will find their guys. When I came to Wellesley, this wasn't even a problem- I liked both women and men. My problem would be whether or not someone also liked women. But sometimes it is very easy to tell whether someone was not straight. There are plenty of parties hosted both here at Wellesley and nearby colleges (Harvard, Olin, Babson, MIT, Boston College, Boston University etc.) for students to go to and look for their guy/woman. There's the Wellesley Exchange bus that runs by Harvard and MIT so that people from those schools can come to Wellesley and the other way around. It's definitely not like we are trapped in an enclosed "women only" environment- there's ways to meet other people.

The only stereotypes that I had heard prior to ever coming to Wellesley College were that because it was a private school, the majority of the students came from wealthy families. Another was that all Wellesley students were pretty much independent and head strong, competitive, well rounded,etc.

For the most part, the Wellesley community is open to differences. I haven't heard of any rift between groups of any sorts. I think that a conservative, homophobic, racist, 18th century woman would feel out of place. Students dress decently to class. There are some that put more effort, but there is never any seriously sloppy people. I think there is much interaction- my main group of friends covers many religions and cultures and socio-economic statuses. One table has a student or two studying for their exam next class, the second table has the rugby team just relaxing, the third table has a group of everyday friends seeing each other for the first time that week and making plans for the weekend. The last table has a rather enthusiastic lot of students, laughing away at something that happened. Most students are from New England and California, like me. I don't necessarily think that a certain financial background is prevalent. I think that it all depends on what financial background the observer is. I have a knack of spotting the Abercrombie, Coach, Louis Viutton, Gucci, DKNY, etc. people because it is blatantly obvious.I would say the majority of the students are politically aware and active, personally I find it difficult to keep up with it. I think there are more left wings. I think that students talk about how much they will one day earn because of how much we need money now.

Hardly. Sure some of us are outspoken, and sure there are lesbians on campus, but it is far from on all lesbian's college. As for the men issue- many have boyfriends already. There are times when single women long for that special someone, but rest assured, the next day they are too caught up in their work to remember.

Yes, professors know all their students' names. My favorite class is biology- I feel that the professor is REALLY passionate not only about the subject, but about teaching it so that we can understand. At office hours, she will explain everything until you say, "Ohhhhhh!" My least favorite class is my writing class, which every first-year must take. I don't like it because I feel that a great portion of our class is dedicated to talking about how our professor went to China and has a Chinese adopted daughter, and how he is a Fulbright scholar. Class participation is common. Wellesley students, of course, have mind stimulating conversations outside of the classroom. Be it politics, religion, cultural, philosophical- we talk about it. Competition is high, but that is expected- we all strive to do our best. The most unique class I have taken is a religion class on the religion (Goddesses, Queens, and Witches)of the Ancient Near East. We learned about the laws and myths and religous practices of the Ugarit and Babylonian people. My major, biology, I chose because i love science and it is my favorite science course. I love the professors- I feel like I develop a life-long relationship with them. I have spent some time with one certain professor outside of class and office hours and it is because we both are interested in ancient religions that revolve around nature. I feel that Wellesley has great requirements because it allows us to explore every genre of courses- science, math, writing, literature, cognitive studies, etc. there are other schools that don't have these requirements, thus making it easier for students to double major, even triple major but I feel that they are less well- rounded. From the classes I have taken, I feel that the education is geared towards learning for its own sake. That is not to say that there aren't programs thar are geared towards helping students find a job and apply for a job.

The most popular orgs are cultural groups and "fun" groups like Freestyle. I am involved with the Latina org on campus and I am the LGBT liaison to the LGBT org on campus. Essentially I represent the LGBT voice in Mezcla and I represent the Latina voice in the LGBT group. I arrange sexuality-based programs. I think the majority leave their doors closed. I personally don't get my entertainment from watching sports, so I can't say much about how many people attend. The popularity depends on the speaker- recently we had Levar Burton and his attendance was high. Other times there aren't as many people. I have not dated anyone yet, and it is not because I can't find boys. I am equally interested in men as I am in women, so that is not an issue. I don't think I have found the right person yet to ask out. I met my closest friends through Facebook and similar interests. those friends introduced me to others. I am studying/writing a paper/ finishing an art project or something like that at 2 in the morning, which I am up at that time for the most part. There are many cultural shows that happen annually,Dyke Ball, and fashion show put on by the African cultural group. I think people attend parties quite often- I do at least. It's a way to de-stress after such a tough week. There are two greek groups on campus but I particularly don't take interest in frats or sororities. Last weekend I ran errands, attended a party, and went to have lunch with a friend in Harvard square and bought art supplies. I don't drink, and I can find plenty of things to do that don't involve drinking. We can watch a movie, play games, shop, have dinner somewhere nice, go to a party,etc. When I am off campus I shop, eat, explore, and run errands.

I've heard that some students "turn gay", which I don't believe for a second. Also, many believe Wellesley students are all hairy liberal feminists. (also not the case). I think that there is a lot of suspicion that the majority are lesbians. Also, since it is an all women's college, there is this belief that Wellesley women are desperate for men.

Carolyn

I never thought I'd end up at a women's college - and a lot of my friends felt that way too. I actually know very few people who were set on attending a women's college when they looked at schools, most were just looking for a small liberal arts college and decided that Wellesley was a good fit. And for me, a most of my friends, it's been a really great experience. Classes are for the most part excellent (and small!), and the professors are very accessible, and love to talk with students. The social life, on the other hand, can be a bit...lacking. If you're looking for wild partying on the weekends, you won't really find it at Wellesley, although there are plenty of people who go to MIT/Harvard parties. Wellesley's about 40 minutes from Boston/Cambridge by way of the exchange bus, which goes to MIT every hour during the week, and slightly more often on weekend evenings. So the city is certainly accessible if you want to go, but it travel there and back does take a fair amount of time. I've heard from some that the sense of community at Wellesley is lacking, which is not something I've experienced, but I know is an issue that the administration is trying to address. For the most part, people seem to find community by joining clubs, sports teams, or societies (which are pretty much sororities, although the administration denies it). I really like Wellesley's size -- small enough that you recognize faces when you walk around campus, but big enough that there are plenty of new people to meet. That's good, because there is really NOTHING around campus. The "ville" has a CVS and a Gap, and those are pretty much the only student-affordable stores in town. We're very close to rt. 9, where there's plenty of stuff to do, but is mostly inaccessible if you don't own a car. Wellesley's administration, quite honestly, thinks it knows far better than students about what's best for the school (and us). Often, they're wrong. Wellesley as a school is very image-conscious, which means it does things like start a reusable thermos program, and then fail to buy appropriate equipment to WASH it...and then keep it in dining halls and not tell students anything about the problem. Stuff like this is a sadly common issue. The most recent controversy was several months ago when students discovered during pretty much the last planning phase that the administration was planning to end the health center's overnight program. Instead, it is creating a partnership with a local hospital to take Wellesley students. This is a big problem because it creates a barrier that might stop students from utilizing health services, and kinda screws over the administration's policy that allows dangerously drunk students to spend the night at health services (they will have to pay to take an ambulance to the hospital). This is mitigated by the fact that health services is totally incompetent. They destroyed most of the hearing in a friend's ear, and told another friend with severe conjunctivitis in both eyes that her eyes were just irritated and she'd be fine. (she found out they were wrong when she temporarily lost vision in both eyes and had to be rushed to the hospital)

There is a higher proportion of gay/bi students who are open -- I'm not sure if it's because of or thanks to the pretty open and tolerant atmosphere at Wellesley. In any case, people are generally very tolerant of all types of sexuality/sexual identity. In most other senses, students are similar to other small liberal arts colleges. Lots of religious/racial/socio-economic diversity (Wellesley has GREAT financial aid!) Students are very liberal, as a whole, although there are of course conservative students.

they're mostly exaggerated, although people do tend to be a bit uptight and study a lot.

Professors are usually really great. I'm undeclared, but most likely a history major, and I've found that the professors in that department in particular are really superb. Both classes I've taken have been taught by professors who were really eager to hear (and actually listen to) the opinions of students. Even though neither of the classes were technically conference style classes, they were both conducted that way. My Athenian democracy professor told me that he couldn't imagine why anyone would choose to do anything with their lives other than study ancient Greece and Rome. I thought it was absolutely incredible that he was so passionate about what he was teaching. That class was also great because a lot of the stuff we were learning was really groundbreaking, new information, some of which the professor had discovered himself. Students study A LOT. Literally, in any kind of common space you go, you will find people studying. Students are really competitive, although it's definitely possible to find people who are more relaxed. And classes actually DON'T have to be NEARLY as stressful as people make them out to be. They're challenging, sure, but not insane.

I've already talked about this somewhat. There is a group for pretty much everyone. I play Ultimate, which is AMAZING. The game, the team, pretty much everything is awesome. Most of my friends also play (as do both of my roommates for next year). I spend most of my time hanging out/doing work with the team. I made a bunch of friends at the beginning of first year through my FYM (first year mentor) group, many of whom lived on the same hall. Their hall was really social, mine a lot less so. There are no first year dorms, but the hallways with a lot of first years tend to be a lot more social than those with more juniors/seniors. The mix is nice, though, since I've met some upperclassmen that I would never have met otherwise. Sports are really not a big deal at Wellesley, people generally don't go to sports games unless they happen to be friends with the Athetes. Our sports teams are not great, although teams tend to be very tight-knit. We also have 4 societies, three of which are like traditional sororities, and one of which is a Shakespeare Society, and is known to be a little strange.

Everyone is gay/bi, the girls are cutthroat and backstabbing, everyone studies all the time, the girls date/marry Harvard/MIT guys

Victoria

Wellesley is really an amazing place to be. It's incredibly close to Boston, but far enough away where you can pick and choose when you want to go and get dressed up for the city, but can always call the quiet town of Wellesley home. I also really love the all women's environment. It's incredibly empowering. Wellesley, I feel is a perfect size. It's small enough to make students feel like part of the community- a name and not a number; but large enough to allow for all of the same opportunities found at a large institution. When I tell people I go to Wellesley I either get one of three reactions; the first is from an educated and successful person- "wow, that's pretty amazing", "congratulations", "you'll go far in life" the second is from a person who thinks they're intelligent- "why would you go to an all girl's school" and the third comes from an idiot- "what's wellesley?" I spend most of my time on campus in my dorm- it's where my Best Friends live.

I'm a minority student at Wellesley and appreciate the diversity of the campus. But I'm obviously from a diverse hometown- and Wellesley was the first time I had ever felt discriminated again- and it wasn't by falculty or administration, but by an ignorant student. Therefore, I've always felt appreciated by the school- but sometimes I wish the students had a more open minded experience as well.

I'd say some Wellesley girls are stuck-up, but you'll find that anywhere so it's not unique to Wellesley. The Overly ambitious thing is true. Wellesley Women are determined and want to be the best at everything they do, not so much of a bad thing really.

Academics at Wellesley is first-rate. All of my professors know me on a nick name basis, which really goes to show how personal the learning environment becomes. My favorite class this year was an American Politics class. My professor structured the course around the current presidential election and so we did most our learning from current New York Times articles. It was truly amazing to learn first hand. My least favorite classes have been as a result of new professors who don't really want to learn about their students. Class participation is probably the main way of learning- the girls in the classes are so smart- we really learn from each other. Professors are amazing- and most invite students to their houses for all sorts of events; my spanish teacher this semester invited us to her home for Cinco De Mayo- it was very important to her that we learned about that aspect of Spanish culture. Wellesley is definitely the place to be if you want an education.

My room is always unlocked and wide open. People are always walking in and out and we're always talking to each other. They're is always something to do on campus, and even more options for things to do off campus- I have never been bored (and I'm not really a drinker!) but if you are into the hard core party scene, that's an option too just not really on campus- you really have to look a little harder for that kind of scene- but never too far because Boston is really only a hop skip and a jump away.

Wellesley Girls are stuck-up and overly ambitious.

Wellesley College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.