Wellesley, MA
Wellesley College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Wellesley College

The best thing about Wellesley are the professors. They are wonderful and honestly want you to succeed. I love the size of our school because the largest classes on campus are 60 students but most classes have between 15 and 30 per class which is amazing compared to a big university where you can have between 200 and 700 students in an intro class. This does mean however that we have less resources to do things like make a proper acoustic performance space for music unlike universities like UVA. The town is kind of stuck-up, since it's a wealthy area, there isn't much that caters to the students besides the local CVS, Lemon Thai and pizza place. The only place in town to buy clothing that isn't designer is GAP, but there's a shuttle to the mall and shopping centers in Natick every Saturday. I don't feel isolated since we're an hour outside Boston and there is direct busing to both there and Cambridge. It's not like Whitman which is totally isolated. Many important things in the college are run by the students, which I think is a good thing. The campus is pretty safe, though you should always be careful, but we don't have many incidents. There is a lake on campus, and the campus in general is beautiful. You are required to take PE twice before you graduate and you can take sailing or canoing as your PE along with karate and lots of other things. I love Wellesley, if I didn't I wouldn't be going there.

Students are VERY politically aware. I know two girls at least who, every morning they read the New York Times and every time they walk into a room with a television, turn on CNN, I'm not even joking. There is any number of financial backgrounds because Wellesley has a really good financial aid program. Most students on campus are leftist democrats but we do have a republican group on campus just like the democratic group. I'm pretty sure there are some closet republicans on campus because it's hard for me to believe there are as few as seem to represented by the republican group. Students often say stuff like, "when I'm rich and famous, I'm going to ____" but it's said sort of jokingly. People pretty much all believe if they set their mind to it they can make as much as they want and that their life will be determined by them when they graduate.

Nothing really, I think it's a good school. It has it's faults and people have to decide for themselves if it's worth it for them to go to Wellesley in spite of those faults. For me, it's no hands down obvious I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. But that's just me.

Some of them more than others. There is something called "the Wellesley goggles" where men who we would have not been attracted to before college start looking more attractive, but if girls are really desperate, they just transfer to a different school or take classes at Brandeis or MIT. Not to mention the goggles, don't really lower our standards, if the guy's a jerk he has no more chance than he would normally, not to mention we know a bad pick-up line when we hear one and generally try to avoid guys who seem predatory. We came to an all-girls school because it was the best thing for our education, the presence or lack of men will not determine my education. We study a lot and people can really bog themselves down, but we can also take a step back and analyze ourselves critically and ask, "is this what I really want?" So, we can decide just like anyone else, that it's okay to take a class pass/fail, or not turn in one homework assignment because otherwise we won't get any sleep. It can be hard sometimes though to remind ourselves it's just a class, it's not our whole lives, because each of us is so driven to succeed.

All my professors learn my name. They're smart, interesting lecturers who know what it's like to be a student struggling to get by with mounting work loads and incorporate that into their lectures and assignments. Students can be crazy sometimes, super competitive, everyone wanting to prove they have the biggest workload and thus deserve the most praise and pity. But not everyone is like that, some people realize how much they don't like always comparing themselves to everyone else and try to avoid it. The education isn't geared toward a specific job like a business school or tech school, but the education we get prepares us well for graduate school and is broad which allows us to apply for any number of jobs that may or may not coincide with our major.

There are all kinds of clubs that can be checked out through the website. There are parties arranged by Wellesley clubs about every weekend which guys bus in for from MIT, Babson, Olin, Harvard, and BU. There's something mysterious and alluring to guys about an all-girls college, so they tend to hangout at parties. The campus is dry so alcohol isn't available at parties, however, people tend to pre-game. I'm not much of a partier, though others go off campus to frat parties at MIT, I tend to stay in and have movie nights with friends. If someone is awake at 2am on Tuesday, I guarantee they're trying to finish a paper or p-set. I go into Boston to watch movies and shop, or to just hang out and do homework, it's a beautiful city.

Everyone is a lesbian or at least bisexual. (not true, just because we go to an all girls school does not mean everyone is gay) Girls either do nothing but study or argue. Everyone is a "that girl" who can't help but raise their hands all the time in class and proceed to talk about themselves, answer rhetorical questions, or repeat what someone else already said. Girls from an all girl's school have no standards in men and are just waiting for a hook-up. Everyone is a Hilary Clinton supporter. Mona Lisa's smile was an accurate representation of the college and its campus. (not) We're so driven to do better than everyone else that we don't know how to take care of ourselves and always take on too much. (this one is somewhat true, we have to make a conscious effort to combat this instinct)

The best thing about Wellesle is the small class size that allows for interaction with other students and the professor. However, students don't have strong opinions on anything, or at least don't express them strongly. Students are more politically correct than I'd like. Wellesley is just the right size. I spend most of my time on cmpus, when not in class or work, in the Scince Center "Mini Focus"-computer area. The biggest recent controversy on campus was the closing of the overnight infirmary. Wellesley has very little school pride. Wellesley has an unusually beautiful campus. Students probably complain most frequently about lack of sleep.

I, as an Orthodox Jew, feel out of place at Wellesley. Students wear a vareity of clothes to class: some wear sweatpants and shirts, while other dress up in the latest fashions and makeup every day. Students of different races interact with each other. Most Wellesley student seem to be from the Northeast, California, or Florida. Students are politically aware. Both the Democrats and Republicans host lectures, and there is also an organization dedicated to non-partisan politcal action. The student newspapaer prints newsfom around the world, and opinion articles are often about world news. Most students are democrats. Students don't usually discuss how much money they pan to earn in the future.

Profesors know my name, but don't know how to pronounce it, but I don't blame them! My favorite class so far was organismal biology. The professor was exclent and made the class more intersting by connecting what we learned to her area of expertise. One of my least favorite classes was a class on the history of art in China, Korea, and Japan. The professor had an impossible to understand accent and refused to write almost anything on the board. The material was also taught in a pretty boring way, so the only thing that kept me alert in class was the attempt to figure out what she was saying. Class participation is rather common, but for some professors getting students to participate is like pulling out teeth. The most unique class I've taken was introduction to enviornmental studies. There was one discussion session a week and one lab, where we went on field trips to places like the local recycling center and a LEED certified "green" building. I don't spend much time with professors outside class, except for a few review sessions and a short meeting to discuss grades. Wellesley has to many distribution requirements; I don't think it's necessary for students to take 3 classes in arts and literature, for example. The education at Wellesley is geared towards learning for its own sake.

There is a wide variety of orgainzations on campus, and it doesn't seem like there are any especially prominent ones. I am involved with WEED, a group that organizes lectures and fun events related to sustainability and the environment. Wellesly has a lot of traditions- Flower Sunday, Lake Day, hoop rolling, but I didn't participate in any of them, so I couldn't tell about them first hand. There are no fraternities and sororities, but there are societies that don't seem to be extremely important on campus. On weekends I spend Friday night and Saturday relaxing, reading, sleeping, and watching a movie. On Sunday I do homework and occassionally attend a WEED (Wellesley Energy and Environmental Defense) meeting.

Quinn

Wellesley is a small school where you can have a really close experience with the faculty. The work load is intense but we all work to help each other achieve what we need to. No one will every shy away from an extra study session. Crazy new experiences, reliving old traditions, and becomming women who will make a difference in the world is what we do.

Students are opinionated, confident, and intelligent women who are here to investigate their personal passions. I have never seen any students argue immaturely, but debates take place constantly. There is a place for every type of young women at Wellesley and it is amazing how you will find yourself a Wellesley woman in no time.

MIT and Harvard girls will hate you...but that is only because we steal their men;)

No, not at all. We are strong independent women that are accepting of all kinds of individuals.

I know all of my professors names and they know mine. Every member of the faculty is here because they love to teach and we are here because we love to learn. Professors welcome you into their offices and when you are a firstie it is frightening, but before you know it your poli sci professor is asking you if your sore throat is gone yet. It is an amazing environment to learn in.

Social life on campus is lacking, although there are some decent parties throughout the year. The good news is that a short bus ride away is Boston. Students go to Harvard, MIT, BU, BC, and Tufts for social scenes. One of the best things about Wellesley is meeting students from different schools and sharing experiences together.

We are basically supposed to be hairy-legged lesbians that walk around in our underwear.

Tina

Wellesley is the top all women's college with an huge and extremely supportive alumni network. Wellesley Alumns are always looking out for current Wellesley students. You definitely have to try harder for a social life than at other schools, but focusing on your work comes very easily. The town of Wellesley is not a college town. It is very wealthy, but provides students with lucrative babysitting opportunities. However Boston, a huge college city is only a 20minute drive away. There is a huge diversity on campus. Students complain that the work load is too much and students are too stressful.

It is extremely false that all Wellesley Girls are rich white and preppy. I am neither and NONE of my friends fall under the category. Like every competitive schol, the studentes will be competitive, everyone wants to be the best, nothing to be embarrassed of - it is extremely motivating. Radical Feminists...not radical, although most wellesley girls are feminists - we as intelligent women want equality in the work force and in legislation.

Exremely rigorous. A's do not come easily in any shape or form. Wellesley academics shape you into an extremely well-rounded, intelligent and hard-working woman. As a result sevreal companies recruit on campus.

All Wellesley Girls are Rich, White and Preppy. The girls are very competitive. Radical Feminists.

Betsy

As everyone knows, Wellesley is an all-girls school. I'll be honest, for a lot of people that's a big down side. But frankly, you stop noticing. Everyone here has so many different opinions, so many different stories (and Wellesley hosts so many different parties) that you don't feel the lack unless you're obsessing about it. Boston is REALLY close to Wellesley and the town of Wellesley is right next to the college. But when you're on Wellesley Campus, you're ON Wellesley Campus. It's not a mix of the campus and the city like some colleges. And the campus is gorgeous. There's no two ways about it. The campus is absolutely one of the most beautiful campuses that I visited. It's big enough to not feel confined and small enough that you get where you can recognize everyone.

Let's see...some good and some bad. On the bad side, a lot of time you encounter people that just really want to put you into a box. You meet them and tell them you're a psych major or whatever and that's what you to them. You encounter it a lot, but it's something you work around. You stop noticing it once you get a group of friends that don't see you that way. On the good side, those friends, are definitely there. I've gotten as close to my best friend at Wellesley in one year as I've gotten with my best friend back home in six. You see them all the time and you bond. Everyone's so unique here. I never considered diversity big, but its huge and I feel like I've grown tenfold because of it.

The student body here is so diverse, which was another thing I didn't think was so important when I originally looked at schools, but I was lucky and fell into a good one. It makes such a huge difference. You get to meet people you never dreamed about meeting. Sometimes its a good thing and sometimes its a bad thing. That's just a part of living on a college campus. There are so many different organizations and people and classes and groups that anyone from anywhere can feel comfortable. I'm from a tiny Midwest town and I get along fine with people from New York City and California (there's a huge Californian population, by the way). Wellesley has predominantly left thinkers. There's a group of Wellesley College Republicans, but they're motto is "We do exist!" if that tells you anything about how few there are. But sometimes I think that's required for an all-girls school.

Not really. I mean yeah, you get both types, but they in no way represent the entire student body. The first thing I noticed is how different everyone here is next to everyone I've ever known. You get all kinds here, every shape, color, and history.

In a word: rigorous. Very. Wellesley is geared more towards homework, as opposed to class time, so while you spend less time in class than some schools, you do have to put in your hours doing homework. There are distribution requirements that have to be fulfilled, but that's normal for a school like Wellesley. The emphasis is in finding what you're interested in, not about finding a job. So if you're like me and don't really know what you want to spend your life doing, the distribution requirements don't really mean anything. All the professors hold office hours and they're very careful about them. If you go in, they'll be there. They greatly encourage students to go in and talk to them. It's the way they know that you're interested, or you're struggling. Every professor learns your name quickly because of the small class sizes. All the classes are small, which I didn't think would matter when I was picking a school, but it really does--especially the language classes.

There's technically no sororities on Wellesley campus, but we have them. They just don't go by that name. Two or three, I think. I'm not really involved personally, but I've been to a few of their parties and gotta say, more drunk people than at other parties. Wellesley hosts a lot of parties, mainly to bring some guys to campus. They're usually very nicely contained and the beer intake is limited to those over 21 (though you can usually find some if you're under). The dating scene is determined by you. You have to go off campus to find a good guy, that's just how it works. If you don't make time, if you don't want to go, you're probably not going to be dating a lot. I'm not gonna lie, you've gotta try a little harder at Wellesley. For guys. One of the biggest groups on campus (apart from the sororities) is probably Ethos, the African American group. They're huge and they're always doing performances. There is also a Shakespeare organization, a Latina American organization, the Davis Art Museum, the Film Society, and the Native American Student Organization (which I'm a part of! Yay!) You just have to get out of your dorm. If you're looking for some activity that requires dancing and there's no party on campus, the bus into Boston is free on weekdays and runs late.

There's two stereotypes of Wellesley girls: 1.)Mona Lisa Smile Wellesley girls: proper with rich parents, and 2.) Lesbian feminists.

Christine

Wellesley feels like a boarding school for adult woman, some might even call it similar to a prison. They hold your hand and tell you what you can and can't do. Unless you have a car or want to spend your life on the commuter rail or deal with the inconvenient bus schedule, you must live on campus all four years. Wellesley, the college, expects this, yet for some reason all the living spaces are still dormitory, style and very depressing and isolating. Not to mention it doesn't really teach one how to 'live' with others, because you are very separated. It also makes for much less social atmosphere as well as it ups the depression and stress levels. Many woman like to cook, that is NOT a possibility in this living style. No matter what others say, DO NOT store your food in the refigerator, for even though all dining halls on campus are free to students, girls feel the need to steal other's food. That is just lame, not to mention rude, especially for those with food and stomach issues. When I lived on campus I was either in class or in my room hiding from the rest of the campus or outside working out. I rarely did anything "community" oriented. Food at wellesley....is HORRIBLE. Not to mention the dining hall workers never know what is actually in anything so when you ask for specific allergens they don't know. While it is in a very pretty suburb of Boston, Wellesley, the town, is NOT a college town by any meaning of the word. It is a dry town and only 2 restaurants have a liquor license and if you want to drink you have to eat. The down closes down at 9pm, well CVS is open until 10 (I believe) but Starbucks even closes at 9pm. I think Wellesley spends too much on its 'image' to the public and not enough on making the campus a better place for students to live. They are even closing the overnight infirmary, that is going to be very bad for many students.

Wellesley girls tend to be very 'liberal' (what ever the hell that means) but rather close minded to the views of their 'opposition'. They would rather be PC, green, democrat then a conservative, traditionalist. There have been many times where I have mentioned my conservative side and then I am automatically branded. Examples... 1. any liberal politician or other type of speaker, preaching the saving of something or another can come in and present and over half the student body will show up, make banners, display pins of support, donate money. A republican politician or speaker comes in and half the student body shows up, 5 (only the brave few) show up in support the rest come to protest with banners and buttons and making rude comments or very pointed questions. 2. The 2004 presidential elections. I am a republican, I was watching the debates and election returns, all the while being berated by 'fellow students'. I was a freshman (I am sorry that is un-PC, first-year), now does that make me feel welcome in my school? Not really. I can't wait until they are in the 'real world' for a few years and start seeing the 'other side' for its good values.

As you can probably see I disliked Wellesley for all it's worth. I am an independent, laid back, sports enthusiast from California who likes to hang out with 'the boys'. If this describes you DO NOT even consider applying to this school, it's not worth your time. Wellesley has "the name" but college should be a place where you learn and grow as a person, not want to curl up under the covers and wish the four years to pass by while your eyes are closed.

For the most part, there are only a handful of laid back people.

Academics at wellesley are very much what they advertise. Small class sizes and personal attention is always granted if you approach the professor. They are always happy to help, well for the most part. Many students have outside the class room relationships (in the friendship sense) with many students. Classes and students are very competitive and stress out way too much. Most students study FAR TOO MUCH and should get out and do some good for their bodies. Some of the academic requirements are a bit much but nothing horrendous. Wellesley is place to go and LEARN, not get a job. People need to RELAX and know that the world will NOT come to an end if you don't do every single piece of reading a professor assigns. Two words: THAT GIRL.

I was an athlete on varsity teams for 2 years. Wellesley, with all its money, allocates very little to their athletic facilities, making training less convenient. Also the athletic teams are a cult, and very incestuous. Friday night (or Saturday if there is a society party), is the night to drink yourself stupid and then make out with the girl from the room next door. there is nothing else to do on a saturday/friday night but sit in your room and watch movies on your computer, hiding from the rest of the community. LUG (lesbian until graduation).

All Wellesley girls are either stuck up, liberal, lesbian, butches or know-it all, liberal, bitches.

Julia

The best thing about Wellesley is that the professors really care about their students. I haven't been in a single class where the professor seemed like they were just trying to make it through the hour so they could move on to more important things. The classes are small and the professors really seem to be interested in the students' views on the material and any questions or comments they might have. The school is the right size for me, but it is on the smaller side in terms of student body. However, we are a vocal lot: recently there was a huge uproar about the administration's decision to get rid of the overnight infirmary and instead have agreements with local hospitals to save beds for Wellesley students. The students were not happy with this decision. But every so often, the administration does something really cool like have a fireworks display on the last day of classes to celebrate our new president (we also had a fireworks display last year for our previous president). When I tell people I go to Wellesley, the reaction is either "Wow, that's so impressive!" or "Wellesley... is that still an all girls school?... are you sure you don't mean Wesleyan?" But Wellesley students have an extreme amount of pride in their school.

Wellesley is a bubble of super political correctness. Anything you say or do will be scrutinized by other students to see if it could possibly have been meant in a discriminatory type of way. Even if you are just stating your preference of ice cream, I assure you that there is a Wellesley student out there waiting to call you prejudice because you don't like the same ice cream as her.

Of course not. Like with most schools, Wellesley's students generally fall somewhere in the middle.

The professors get to know everyone's name in the class. Most of the classes have less than 20 students. I was in a larger class (Greek Mythology) which had almost 50 students and our professor still learned almost everyone's name. It definitely helps that the students are encouraged to participate in the class so the professor is forced to call you by name at least a couple times in the semester. Students study all the time. There is always someone studying. Even on friday night when you just want to play your music and hang out with your friends, campus police will inevitably come knocking on your door telling you that there was a noise complaint from a student trying to study for an exam on monday. It can get ridiculous sometimes. But it just means that the students really care about their work. It also means that the students are super competitive though. But we're really competitive about stupid things, like who slept the least, who has the most exams and papers due in one week, and who has had the least amount of time for eating (not to mention who got an A on last weeks midterm). The most unique class I've ever taken was my Italian Women Directors class this semester. There is literally no other class like it in the U.S. Our professor brings in the e-mails she gets from people outside of Wellesley asking about the class and the syllabus (which is posted online).

The social life at Wellesley... what social life? You will make really good friends here. I have made friends who I will probably have for the rest of my life because they are amazing people. However, meeting men can be a challenge (if you are attracted to women, then this is not as much of a problem) because there are no men on campus and rarely do men visit campus. To meet a potential male date, you most likely have to meet them at MIT or Harvard or other schools in the area. Students don't really leave their doors open. People awake at 2am are studying or doing homework (and don't want to be bothered!). People try to party but it often gets broken up by campus police because of noise complaints from people trying to study. We do have a lot of fun traditions. The freshman get to throw a penny into the lake and try to jump in after it and find it (finding it is good luck) during orientation week. There are tea and cookies in the dorms on wednesday nights. During reading period, a big thing is to go to Midnight Breakfast which is exactly what it sounds like (it's fun though, I swear). The night before finals start, everyone runs out of their dorms for Primal Scream (everyone screams as loud as they can for a long time to get all their frustration and anxiety and other bad vibes out).

People either think that we're boy-crazy or man-haters.

Liz

The number one thing you will hear from every Wellesley student is that they "love their classes." This is the honest truth. The caps for the largest classes are at 35, most are below that. All of my professors know my name and meet with me when I want. TA is a word you will never hear at this school because they don't exist. You might have an SI, but they sit in on classes and will hold review sessions before exams ALONG WITH the professor's review sessions. Basically, Wellesley is all about the academics. The ville is the town in Wellesley. It closes at 9:30 and is dry.

Yes, they are quite accurate. Every woman here is intense about schoolwork to the point where you are afraid fellow students will have a heart attack in class. Of course, the drinking and debauchery only occurs among less than half the school, but that half is loud and boisterous. The lesbians are the "in crowd" with all their drugs and alcohol (mainly cocaine).

Well, to begin with there is Wendy Wellesley, the stereotypical Wellesley woman. Yes, that is correct, woman. You will be corrected if you say "all girl's school" because it is an "all women's college." Wendy Wellesley wears pearls and looks perfect at all times. She is brilliant at everything, especially Shakespeare and neuroscience. On weekends she spends time getting smashed with her smashing boyfriend Henry Harvard, but on the side she enjoys nerdy Michael MIT. If she is feeling particularly naughty she will go for a one night stand with Barry Berklee, who plays guitar. Although, she will ignore texts from those silly Babson and Olin boys. That, is the honest truth about the stereotypical Wellesley girl.

Alex

I really like Wellesley and its isolated campus--there's something about the place that just makes it feel home. There's also something nice about walking to class and there are chipmunks and squirrels (certain paths) literally just running around in front of you. Where I spend time on campus depends on where my dorm is. Since there are tons of dorms scattered around campus, you might be close to the sports center, campus center, science center, etc. I think while there's a great deal of people who really love and appreciate Wellesley, there are a few who have a love/hate relationship with the school because it's so competitive and intense, yet ultimately rewarding and you sometimes don't realize it until you leave. The atmosphere tends to be very PC. Wellesley women in general are very passionate.

Professors are probably one of the best things here at Wellesley. Yes, many of them do know your name and some even set up individual meetings with everyone in the class JUST to get to know you better. While it varies between types of classes, discussion is usually encouraged and used a lot. One of my favorite seminars was 90% discussion and we definitely had some heat in there. And some really cool fun classes I've taken include a robotics class and a theater class. I'm majoring in Psychology and the whole department is pretty strong with a range of really amazing professors. I think the students at Wellesley tend to stress out a lot though, and the atmosphere definitely feels competitive. But people are also extremely intelligent and have both fun and intellectual chats out of class.

Ryan

NO! Of course there is a lesbian population but there are many more straight women than lesbian women. There are quite a few girls who never leave the library but most Wellesley women find a balance between the partying and studying (but there are extremes on both sides of the spectrum).

Lesbians and girls who only study

Wellesley College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.