Wellesley, MA
Wellesley College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Wellesley College

Tate

My friends and I love Wellesley as it is. Wellesley is so unique in character, and I have the closest girlfriends that I have ever had in my life (probably because there are no men)...who needs guys when you have your best friends?! As I say, "Hos before bros!" Besides my friends, the best thing about Wellesley are the amazing professors. I love each and every one of my professors- they are all willing to go out of their way for their students. It is obvious that they truly love what they do. Most of the time, I think Wellesley's student body is just the right size, but there are other times (like when finals come around) when it does feel a bit too small because of high stress levels. I spend my time all over campus, but the I probably spend the most time in the following areas: my room, my friends' rooms, Pendleton (more specifically, the economics department on the fourth floor), the dining hall, and when the weather is nice, on Severance Green or the Tower Courtyard. Make no mistake, Wellesley, MA is not a college town. It is a quiet upper class suburb of Boston with some cute shops (the Cheese Shop is to die for!), but the town basically shuts down after 8 pm. That said, however, it is extremely easy to get into Boston to access its never-ending nightlife. Wellesley has buses that go into Cambridge and Boston once every hour (more often on the weekends) and they run late into the night. The ride can take anywhere from 25 minutes to 1 hour, depending on traffic.

Here is Wellesley's student body in a nutshell (keep in mind that I am generalizing a bit): Race- there is interaction and friendship between students of all races, but there is still a bit of a divide between the African American population and students of other races. Religion- practice whatever religion you want, or no religion at all...other students don't really care. LGBT- I have many gay friends, straight friends, and bisexual friends at Wellesley. It doesn't play a factor in friendships...people are people. Socio-economic- Thanks to Wellesley's generous financial aid, there are many students that come from low-middle income families, but women from wealthy families still probably hold the majority of the student population. That's not to say they are all "poor-little-rich girls." Most of the students who have a lot of money are still very down-to-earth. You will probably feel out of place at Wellesley if you are unaccepting of alternative lifestyles or if you are uncomfortable being around same-sex relationships. I usually roll out of bed 5 minutes before class, stuff a hat over my bed-head, and pull on jeans to go to class. This is typical of a Wellesley student, but many students also go to class dressed like they are going into a business meeting- it's just personal preference. Ok, so here's a scenario of 4 tables of students in the dining hall: Table number one consists of 3 or 4 seniors and juniors with books open studying for a chemistry exam they have in 20 minutes. Table number two consists of a very loud bunch of 5 African-American students, 1 Latina student, and 2 white students. Table number three consists of a group of 6 friends who all work at one of the student-run food co-ops on campus and also work at Wellesley's radio station. Table number four is like table number three, except they don't work at a co-op or the radio station...one is a swimmer, one is an econ major, one is a math major, one is a history major, one is a theater major, and one is on the rugby team.

None of these stereotypes are true! While it's true that LGBT issues play a prominent role on campus, it is more because the students feel safe and comfortable expressing their sexual preferences than at many other universities. I am not gay, nor do I (or have I ever) gone to Harvard or M.I.T. with the purpose of seeking out men. It is NOT a finishing school, for heaven's sake! We pride ourselves on our outstanding academics, and our status as "Wellesley Women" has everything to do with being outspoken, independent women, not future housewives.

Academics are the heart and soul of Wellesley. Academics are the reason that we are there, and it shows. People study like crazy everywhere, all the time. Each one of my professors knows my name and my interests (a few even know my life story). I am on a first-name basis with quite a few of my professors. My favorite class has probably been econometrics, but that's because I love economics and I love practical statistics- I guess you could say that I am a typical geek. In class participation is what classes here are made of. Almost everyone participates in active in-class discussions all the time. Even outside of class, students are constantly having academic discussions...we love to use our brains! Academic competitiveness is apparent in some departments, but for the most part, students are very helpful and supportive of one another. The distribution requirements can be annoying sometimes, but I honestly think they are for the better- I would never have discovered my love of economics if it weren't for the distribution requirements. All in all, an education at Wellesley is about the love of learning, but you will get such a good education in whatever major you choose, that you will be able to do almost anything you want after you graduate! It's the best of both worlds!

Each dorm has it's own social characteristics: the new dorms are predominated by science and math majors and tend to be pretty quiet and boring. The Quad is a bit crazy sometimes and you can find large groups of friends all sharing one hallway. The tower complex is where the party is at (if there is any party on campus) and is the biggest of all. Stone-Davis has the best food and is a healthy balance between the New Dorms and the Tower Complex. Athletic events are popular if you are on a team, but otherwise, don't expect a large fan base. Speakers are everywhere all the time, talking about all sorts of things. I met my closest friends because I lived in the same hallway with them during our first year. If I am awake at 2 AM on a Tuesday, I am studying, finishing a problem set, writing a paper, or still hopelessly procrastinating with my best friend by watching YouTube videos.

People think that almost everyone who goes to Wellesley turns into a lesbian, and those who don't go to Harvard or M.I.T. every weekend on the "fuck truck" to try to secure a husband. Outsiders sometimes ask me if it really is a "finishing school" like in Mona Lisa Smile.

Lorie

Yes! However, it depends on what kind of people who hang out with - not all are competitive - and you can burst the bubble easily by going off-campus, but not a lot of people take advantage of that.

That the students are competitive, Wellesley is a bubble.

Alex

Wellesley is an amazing school for women who want to make a difference in the world. No one at Wellesley is ever told that something isn't possible, and because of the amazing Wellesley alumnae network, stipend and internship opportunities, and great academics, anything is possible. I have met a variety of different types of people at Wellesley from around the world with a myriad of interests. It is not unusual to find a student majoring in physics and music or chemistry and religion. Wellesley women are also very involved on campus. We have over 100 student organizations on campus, which is huge for a school of our size. And every weekend there are a dozen cultural events. What I love about Wellesley is that your "college experience" is not restricted to one college. You want football games? Go to BC. Drunken frat boys: MIT! A cool music scene--Berekley School of Music is there for you. Ever and all types of entertainment and merriment are available at your fingertips when you live in Boston and (not to be smug but...) being a Wellesley Woman will open any door for you at any college in the country--trust me, you will be welcome with open arms. As for sports on campus--sports are not at the center of the Wellesley world but there is a lot of classic school spirit and I have been to Wellesley lacrosse games and crew regattas. There are also a lot of non-sports related traditions that help amp up the amount of general school spirit. Lots of love for Wellesley, no worries.

Wellesley is the place for academics. The professors are amazing and more than willing to make time for a student. The classes are small and discussion oriented. Every student is passionate about their work, many students even do research abroad.

Being at a women's college is really, really strange but only when you are at other schools or talk to your friends at other colleges or universities. The first month/year you will be convinced that everyboby else is having more fun at their respective schools--they are drinking more, partying more, and studying less. But by second year, you'll realize that many people at big state schools (or any school that isn't Wellesley for that matter) are doing the same thing every weekend, hanging out with the same people, and waking up with the same, familiar hangovers. You'll soon appreciate the fact that you have a million amazing female friends who support you and who you will know forever (and who isn't your friend because of that "one time you got totally wasted at TDC.") You'll begin to understand that not everyone has the opportunity to talk to Hillary Clinton during lunch (because one of my poli sci. professors taught her and was her "favorite professor) and that having an internship at the Vermont Supreme Court sophomore year is not the norm. Also, because there isn't as big a "party scene" at Wellesley, you'll have friends at schools across the state (and many in other states). You will see plays in NYC, attend great lectures, and party at a frat (I promise). And while finding boys is tough, you'll meet the "good" guys. Boston not only has a ton of schools but these are also some of the best colleges and universities in the country. There might be fewer men/harder to find men but haven't you noticed that the best things in life aren't always the easiest to find? I have dated a lot since coming to college (not too much or anything) and am rather content with the state of my love life.

There are none, everyone knows that Wellesley is an amazing place full of brilliant, diverse women

Wellesley will introduce you to people you would never otherwise meet and opinions you have never heard before. Wellesley will shape you into a self-confident and worldly woman. Since it is a liberal arts college many students struggle to find their place when they graduate, and most opt for graduate school to gain job-specific skills. It is a little frustrating to discover that after $200,000 you are not qualified to do much more than write 30 page art history papers, but at Wellesley, college is about much more than job preparation. It is a foundation for life.

Every kind of person goes to Wellesley. It is an extremely diverse environment. The main diversity issues on campus are making the faculty more diverse and serving the needs of male-identified (or at least, not female-identified) transgender students on campus. People of all different backgrounds find themselves mixing in the dorms and in classes, but there are a lot of student organizations based on race/sexual orientation/religion that are vibrant parts of students' lives. This can lead to some segregation on campus. There is definitely not always peaceful co-existence between the various groups of students, but those conflicts ultimately lead to dialogue and greater understanding, so I think that in the end that's okay.

If you are gay there is certainly a vibrant community available, but they're still a small percentage of the student body. What is accurate is that most (though certainly not all) students are open about GLBT issues. It is definitely true that most Wellesley students are very opinionated. That makes us very successful in the professional world, but can sometimes go too far and be frustrating in personal relationships.

Professors are very approachable and want to help you succeed in their classes. Standards are incredibly high at Wellesley. In addition to a heavy workload, your assignments must be completed with absolute perfection or you won't get an A. This is due in part to the mandatory grading curve and in part to the nature of the school. However, at the end of the day, the seemingly impossible standards make you a better scholar. Your struggles through the 100 and 200 level classes will prepare you to succeed in your senior year seminars and in graduate school.

Everyone is involved in student organizations on campus. Dorm life varies greatly by floor and dorm, but it's generally not where your closest friendships will be formed. If you want to meet boys you can always hit up parties at other campuses. Everyone goes to MIT frat parties, but the best parties are down the street at Olin where you can find a fraction of the MIT sleaze factor. On campus there is usually a big party in the campus center every weekend, but no underage drinking is allowed and they're mostly places to hang out with existing friends, not meet new people. A shocking number of students spend their Friday nights studying, so if you don't you will be not only bored but guilty.

That everyone is gay, that everyone is really opinionated in the bad kind of way

Nope! Wellesley is full of incredibly diverse students! Girls come from all over! The only thing they have in common is they're all amazing!

There are a lot of stereotypes about Wellesley girls being stuck up, others about us being man-hating lesbians.

Athena

What Wellesley Does Best- Academics and Careers: Students have easier access to internships and research positions. Wellesley has a strong alumnae network. The personal attention from professors is excellent. I did not think that I needed a small college but now that I am here I see that I definitely needed a small college where I can get help from my professors and ask them a question at anytime. At a university, you will be a face in the crowd when it comes time for job placement. Huge name companies who are actively looking to hire women flock to Wellesley, the #1 womens' college in the nation. Every year, sophomores and juniors get recruited into internship programs with big-name companies such as Goldman Sachs, J.P Morgan, and UBS. These sophomores and juniors are guaranteed jobs at these companies after graduation. Wellesley also has a Wellesley In Washington Program - where students intern in the White House. The Wellesley Social Life: Your social life is what you make of it - it does not come easy to you -yet, it is definitely not as hard as people think it is. I came to Wellesley without any friends in the Boston/Wellesley area. September of my first year, I was already dating guys from nearby colleges and then I met my current boyfriend, who I have been with since the Halloween Party where we met. There are on and off campus: parties, sporting events, concerts, lectures, cultural celebrations, and etc. Everyone can find something to do- you just have to actively seek it out. Warning: Wellesley is weather-dependent. Students love Wellesley and think that our campus is beautiful in early autumn and spring but in the winter it gets really drab and depressing - be sure to get off campus on the weekends.

I love meeting foreign students here at Wellesley- they always offer the most interesting perspectives in class discussions. Stay away from the students who like to brag a lot- they will stress you out. Aside from those who are a bit full of themselves, you will find a lot of genuine people who have the kindest hearts. People are a lot more accepting here at Wellesley than they were back in my high school.

If you only want to go to college to party- go somewhere else. If your future is more important to you- definitely come here. There are still people here at Wellesley who party any chance they get - it's just that you have to travel off campus to get to the parties. P.S - we have a shuttle bus that brings us into Boston every hour on the weekdays - for free. The shuttle bus runs every 40 mins on Fridays and Saturdays. On the weekends, the bus rides cost $2 (the same price as the subway fare that BC, Tufts, BU, and Harvard students have to pay) On Friday and Saturday nights, busses run until 3am (whereas Boston's subways stop running at 12:55am).

These stereotypes are true for me and I also see it in others. However, I find that I can use a positive attitude to turn all of these worries into motivation.

The class are engaging and exciting. I am always thrilled come course registration time because I always find classes that focus on the most interesting topics. I am so excited to take the Politics of China course and the International Security course next fall. Do not get scared about the distributions - there is a large variety of classes for you to choose from- most people finish their distributions without even realizing it.

We have every kind of activity. Lectures, committees, cultural organizations, theater groups, dance teams (every kind of dance you can imagine),vocal groups, orchestras, societies, and more. Two of the three societies have houses on campus and they hold parties. The societies on campus form networks with Harvard and MIT fraternities.

We are very driven towards achieving our goals. We worry about grades a lot. We are very emotional.

Jerry

The campus is beautiful, the classes are great. The size of the student body is a little small, but overall I like it. However, there are no boys. EVER. When I first visited, the tour guide told me that there are often boys on campus for parties and other events. This is a lie. Also, the town of Wellesley pretends that it's not a college town. It's way overpriced, there is only one pizza place and it sucks, and everything is closed by 9.

Here are some words I'd use to describe the student body: competitive, intellectual, diverse, judgmental, liberal.

It's an interesting place. Definitely not for everyone.

They're definitely not unfounded, but they're not true across the board.

The academics at Wellesley are the reason I didn't transfer. The professors are brilliant, accessible, and supportive. I've never taken a class I didn't like. My favorite was a CompLit seminar last year called "Reading Travel." The class sizes are really nice and even the biggest classes still somehow manage to have discussions. The one down side is that students are VERY competitive, to the point where sometimes participating in class is too intimidating.

What's nice about Wellesley is that there is every kind of woman there. On the weekends, there are sure to be some girls going into Boston to get wasted, some girls doing homework, and some girls watching movies and baking cookies. Anything goes. The dating scene is very dramatic in the gay crowd because the school is so small. For those girls interested in men, though, pickings are slim. It's only possible to find date-able guys through guy friends at other schools. If you don't have guy friends at other schools, you're sunk. Meeting guys at Wellesley parties is nearly impossible since they seem to attract the scum of the Earth. Oh, and some girls hit up craigslist and various dating sites in the most desperate of situations.

Dyke school Overachievers Catty

Jenna

Wellesley is an amazing school academically, but there needs to be more social activities on campus and with neighboring schools. The athletic facilities need to be improved in order to promote health on campus. There need to be more parties, and more social areas on campus to hang out and do homework, or just chill with friends. Wellesley needs to have more balance between social and academic life.

The student body is very diverse, which is a great learning experience for everyone. It is very accepting and understanding.

no, all women's college is amazing.

Academics are very challenging. I think the grade Deflation policy should be eliminated in order to reduce the competition and intensity levels among students. I like the challenge of Wellesley, but sometimes it is too overwhelming.

There needs to be more on campus and off campus activities to promote happiness in students.

I think a lot of people have a negative attitude toward the all women's aspect of the college.

Tate

Wellesley is a bubble. A big, shiny, translucent bubble, with little rainbow swirls of 'real life'. I, personally, find this to be a wonderful environment most of the time. Honestly, I'm not ready for the 'real world' yet. I want to live in a bubble, developing my ideas at leisure and sharing them with my fellow students. Sometimes, however, this bubble gets oppressive, and even discouraging. Bubbles, you see, are finite - the possibilities of real life, and the real world, however, are (for the most part) infinite. There are some times when you want to reach out to try something, and find someone gently slapping your hand saying, no, sorry, not now. The traditions of Wellesley inspire a strong sense of community, and, while they can sometimes feel strange (traditions of an old world presented to modern women), they are definitely an experience to enjoy at Wellesley. If I could change anything, it would have to be where Wellesley is situated. Don't get me wrong - the campus is absolutely gorgeous! - it's the college town, or lack thereof. Wellesley is stuck smack dab in the middle of upperclass suburbia. "The Vil" (our so-called college town) is, for the most part, a collection of incredibly expensive boutiques, with clothing items ranging on average from $50 to $300+. There is, however, a wonderful book store, a CVS, a Starbucks... and the bus to Boston. The local mall is a prime example of gentrification, but there is another mall approximately a half hour away that's probably just like the mall of your home town. The only problem is that you're going to need either a car (or a friend with a car) to get there. The surrounding area of Wellesley is rather wealthy, and it is reflected in the shopping areas.

Wellesley's student body is extremely diverse. I don't know the numbers, but I'm sure they're somewhere on the Wellesley homepage. We have many races, cultures, religions, social orientations, etc. When my older brother started college at the University of New Hampshire, he had to take a class on diversity. At Wellesley, you can learn about diversity by just striking up a conversation with someone. Everyone is willing and eager to talk about themselves (ok - sorry! No generalizing! The girls who are not either working on their theses or buried in books are the ones to talk to. Most of the time) and their situations. One thing though - if you come here, do NOT ask someone where they are from... originally. I look Indian, because my father is from Pakistan. I, however, was born and raised in the US. I don't associate with a culture other than 'American', and I only speak English. I can't tell you the number of times I have been asked about my origins. One girl just kept asking the same question over and over when I told her that I was born in Florida. I finally had to say 'Look. I was born in Florida. I've never been out of North America. That's just the way it is.' Long story short - be accepting of different people and their situations. You probably won't have a great time if you aren't (unless... you find the other people on campus who are like that. But there certainly aren't that many). Another valuable Wellesley lesson: There is no such thing as "Normal" - so don't worry about it. Be yourself.

1. No. While there is a significant gay/lesbian/bi/trans population at Wellesley, not everyone is. The stereotype arises because the atmosphere at Wellesley is such that we are very accepting of all [most] people. Those who are g/l/bi/t are not afraid or ashamed of who they are, and so are more comfortable with being active in the community on issues that are specific to them. 2. As at all colleges, some girls are easy. It's a fact. Again, this does not apply to everyone (ah, the problem with stereotypes...) 3. Some do. It's true. Most of us really just want someone to love who will love us back. Sound like the little voice in the back of your head? 4. Ah, well, this one is probably true. We can be really chill and really relaxed, but we are anal about a lot of things - mostly academics, but our desire for things to work right often spills over into everyday life. We can be really intense - but we certainly know how to relax properly too (well... most of us, anyway).

Academics are tough. The work load is heavy, the material is deep, and the scheduling can get pretty intense - but it is all do-able. The professors are kind and caring, and they can, in fact, learn your name. One of the best resources you can take advantage of at Wellesley is 'Office Hours' where you can go to discuss with your professor pretty much anything that is on your mind. In the (nearly) two semesters I've been at Wellesley, I have taken 2 physics classes, 1 language class (Latin - it kicked my butt), 2 religion classes (Buddhism and a class about Hildegard of Bingen which I'm actually taking for music credit), 1 math class (second semester calculus), and 2 writing courses (short story composition and a required writing class on the relationship between the great apes and humans). Next semester (yes, I'm coming back) I'm changing gears completely and taking some environmental studies courses, as well as a psychology 101. I do have to say that the academic requirements are tough - but the best thing to remember about Wellesley - and college in general - is that nothing is set in stone. Just because you get through a year and realize you're studying entirely the wrong thing (like I did) doesn't mean that your future is ruined. If you have to do another year, well, then do it! You need to follow your dreams and d something you love - if I've learned anything in my time at Wellesley, it's that following your passions is the absolute best thing you can do with your life.

If you are worried that there won't be anything to do... let me set the record straight. You're WRONG. My biggest mistake when I got here was figuring I would have SO much time on my hands. In high school, I was involved in a whole slew of activities - and you know why? Because homework in high school is a joke. Homework in college, however... that's a whole 'nother story. Anyway - not the place for that bit. I'm involved in the Wellesley Widows (dressed to kill since 1949 - check us out at www.wellesleywidows.com), which is one of 5 major a cappella groups on campus. The other 4 are the Tupelos, the Blue Notes, Awaken the Dawn (Christian a cappella), and a Wellesley-MIT group called the Toons. Also on campus are myriad instrumental groups, including the Brandeis-Wellesley Orchestra and the Chamber Music Society (which creates small chamber groups based on who auditions). If you play the tuba, will you come to Wellesley and play with me? I'm trying to start a brass quintet (I play the trumpet) but we have no tuba. That's my one problem with the music department - no tuba! How can this be?! Anyway, beyond that, there are a whole variety of groups focused on race (Ethos, for example - for the African American women of Wellesley), culture, language, party affiliation... you name it, we've probably got it. And if we don't, well, you can start it. Now, socially, Wellesley is kind of odd. We have huge parties every once in a while on campus that tons of people come to - but if you're straight and looking to make a connection, these parties are not really the place to do it. There are plenty of really nice guys, I'm sure! I only seem to find the ones that drunkenly take of their shirts and try to show off their pasty chests. Ok, I don't mean to creep you out - that was only once. The last party I went to, I had a great shouted conversation with a Harvard grad student. It can be done! It's tough though. The best thing to do is to make friends either with people at other colleges in the area, or make friends with people at Wellesley who have friends at other colleges in the area. Social life at Wellesley is, to quote a commonly used phrase here, "what you make of it". That said, there is plenty to do on a Saturday night that does not involve drinking. You can go into Boston and catch a concert, rent some movies with your friends, attend a cultural function on campus, play some board games... again: what you make of it.

1. Everyone who goes to Wellesley is lesbian/bi 2. Wellesley girls are "easy' 3. Wellesley girls want to marry Harvard/MIT boys 4. People who go to Wellesley are anal about EVERYTHING.

angela

The Big Picture: There is no other school like Wellesley out there. If you want to have that fun, crazy, wild "college experience," don't come to Wellesley. If you look out your window and see a giant football stadium with screaming student fans, don't come to Wellesley. If you want to have a bunch of crazy and fun friends, male and female, that go out really often and get drunk and tell really fun jokes- don't go to wellesley. If you are looking for a crazy fun time, don't go to Wellesley. If you want to learn about all different culture, study hard and learn all that you can in four year, attend some really interesting and inspiring lectures, and if you really want to become a more mature and intelligent person- then you should come to Wellesley.

The student body is extremely politically correct, to the point where it's borderline ridiculous. I feel the student body really needs to chill sometimes.

It's a great school.. Sometimes you'll hate it, and sometimes you'll love it. I often regret not going to one of your big, fun, football driven colleges, but i feel I made the right choice in choosing Wellesley- because I will just learn so much more than I ever thought I would. I am pushing myself harder than I thought I could, and I know I will in one way or another, become a better person after my four years here. I may have missed out on the whole party-scene- but that's something I know I'm giving up for a good reason.

These stereotypes are not really all that accurate in terms of the majority of the girls- but there are these types of girls on campus. While there are these types of girls on any campus, I feel these stereotypes are true for many girls on campus- but most definitely not all.

Academics are INTENSE at Wellesley. Your friends can tell you how hard it is at their school- don't believe them- Wellesley is probably 10 times more intense- and you really have to EARN every point of your grade. They will not give you an A (or even an A-) unless you truly reached excellence.

Social Life... there isn't really one. you can have one, but it takes a lot more effort than it would at many schools. If you are a really hard worker and really am working for those A's-- having a social life is pretty difficult.

Some stereotypes: wellesley girls are dykes, are constantly studying, not your typical 'cool' type students, some wellesley girls are really slutty and are off to MIT/Harvard every weekend to try and hook up with some guy.

Wellesley College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.