Wellesley College

« See more reviews of Wellesley College

Wellesley supports over 150 student organizations dedicated to dance, world culture, sports, religion, social issues, comedy, music, student life, literature, self-defense, performance art, and politics. LGBT organizations such as Spectrum, cultural organizations such as WASAC (Wellesley Association for South Asian Cultures), and singing groups such as the Widows are very active on campus. The organizations reflect the diversity of the student body. All 50 states and 66 different countries are represented at Wellesley. Surprisingly, a lot of Californians call Wellesley home. Not surprisingly, the political atmosphere is mainly left or center, and the students are very active.

i am from one of the most diverse cities in the world, and i still am amazed at how such a small community (in comparison) is so diverse, in so many ways. wellesley has a huge endowment, so students from all socio-economic backgrounds can come here. the lgbt community here is probably larger and more active than in any given high school, but it's not overwhelming (in either direction). it's just not a huge deal, members of the lgbt community interact with the larger community as a whole in the same way that members of, say, the track team do. students tend to be politically aware, if not active.

Students are very PC, almost to an unnessecary degree in my opinion. They are very accepting of other groups and cultures. Contrary to popular belief, there is not typical Wendy Wellesley, rather all types of students interact and befriend one another. Students also come from all over the country and all over the world. One word to describe Wellesley students: PASSIONATE. About what? Anything. Synchronized swimming, politics, math, anything. The list goes on and on. Wellesley students really care about something. That said, in general Wellesley is a liberal place.

There is a higher proportion of gay/bi students who are open -- I'm not sure if it's because of or thanks to the pretty open and tolerant atmosphere at Wellesley. In any case, people are generally very tolerant of all types of sexuality/sexual identity. In most other senses, students are similar to other small liberal arts colleges. Lots of religious/racial/socio-economic diversity (Wellesley has GREAT financial aid!) Students are very liberal, as a whole, although there are of course conservative students.

The LGBT is very active on campus. I would say that our openness towards sexuality is one of the best in the country. We have a very socio-economic diverse student body. Racially, I feel like Wellesley students self-segregate themselves. There is no blatant racism, but if you take the look at the social groups on campus, people of the same race tend to stick together. I think you will find this at 90% of the country's campuses.

I'm a minority student at Wellesley and appreciate the diversity of the campus. But I'm obviously from a diverse hometown- and Wellesley was the first time I had ever felt discriminated again- and it wasn't by falculty or administration, but by an ignorant student. Therefore, I've always felt appreciated by the school- but sometimes I wish the students had a more open minded experience as well.

Wellesley is a bubble of super political correctness. Anything you say or do will be scrutinized by other students to see if it could possibly have been meant in a discriminatory type of way. Even if you are just stating your preference of ice cream, I assure you that there is a Wellesley student out there waiting to call you prejudice because you don't like the same ice cream as her.

People at Wellesley are generally very accepting, although different groups may not necessarily interact, I have never felt not welcome going anywhere. I don't think any kind of student would feel out of place at Wellesley, because there is so much diversity on our campus. Most students wear sweats, or pajamas to class.

Amazing- I've made some of the best friends I've had in my life. They come from all ethnicities, socioeconomic backgrounds, etc., and we all have a deep respect for each other. There really is a special sisterly bond between Wellesley women!

Very lgbt friendly and very diverse. There are people for everyone really. Most people dress down to class sweats and jeans, but there are definitely girls who do really look nice in class too.