Wellesley College

« See more reviews of Wellesley College

I first came to Wellesley before my Junior year of high school. I got out of the car in the middle of a mud pit at the construction site for the new student center. And I fell in love. I then spent a year and a half lookign for a co-ed school to like better. I couldn't find one and applied early decision to Wellesley. My relationship with Wellesley has been a little like a romantic relationship - the infatuation phase did come to an end, but what I've realized is that, warts and all, I still love this place and coming here is a decision I've never regretted. Don't be afraid of the women's college thing - most days I forget about it anyways, and when I do remember, I tend to be very grateful, because I love Wellesley and a co-ed Wellesley just wouldn't be my Wellesley.

Let's see...some good and some bad. On the bad side, a lot of time you encounter people that just really want to put you into a box. You meet them and tell them you're a psych major or whatever and that's what you to them. You encounter it a lot, but it's something you work around. You stop noticing it once you get a group of friends that don't see you that way. On the good side, those friends, are definitely there. I've gotten as close to my best friend at Wellesley in one year as I've gotten with my best friend back home in six. You see them all the time and you bond. Everyone's so unique here. I never considered diversity big, but its huge and I feel like I've grown tenfold because of it.

One thing that I haven't talked about is the beauty of the campus. It is absolutely breath-taking. Some people have likened it to Hogwarts which I guess is a fair anaology minus the boys, broomsticks and odd creatures. But the gothic architecture and the huge, beautiful commmon rooms of the dorms make this school, in my opinion, the most beautiful in this country. My only other thing, is that I love this school and I think that any woman in this country would thrive here. People think that sexism has died but it hasn't, and going to a school like Wellesley will teach you that as a woman, you are powerful beyond measure and that nothing can hold you back.

If you only want to go to college to party- go somewhere else. If your future is more important to you- definitely come here. There are still people here at Wellesley who party any chance they get - it's just that you have to travel off campus to get to the parties. P.S - we have a shuttle bus that brings us into Boston every hour on the weekdays - for free. The shuttle bus runs every 40 mins on Fridays and Saturdays. On the weekends, the bus rides cost $2 (the same price as the subway fare that BC, Tufts, BU, and Harvard students have to pay) On Friday and Saturday nights, busses run until 3am (whereas Boston's subways stop running at 12:55am).

I particularly love the empowering atmosphere provided at Wellesley. Although it is a relatively small college, it simply does not fail in allowing each student to feel that at Wellesley, anything is possible. Being surrounded by curious, passionate, and like-minded individuals has been socially and academically satisfying for me. In addition, the small class sizes allows for professors to develop wonderful relationships with their students, thus leading to stellar recommendations and lifelong friendships. At Wellesley, I am among the best, brightest, and most determined women in the nation, and I cannot imagine myself attending any other college.

Wellesley actively encourages students to explore different areas. I took the college's advice and walked out of my comfort zone my first semester, taking computer science and a class about Jewish and Muslim exiles. I had zero background, but they sounded interesting. I ended up loving coding, and I also want to continue studying the Middle East! This wouldn't have been possible without: 1) excellent teaching, (In 2012, Princeton Review rated Wellesley professors as #1 in the nation), 2) A mentality that people excel in what they love to do, so they should find what they love first.

It's a great school.. Sometimes you'll hate it, and sometimes you'll love it. I often regret not going to one of your big, fun, football driven colleges, but i feel I made the right choice in choosing Wellesley- because I will just learn so much more than I ever thought I would. I am pushing myself harder than I thought I could, and I know I will in one way or another, become a better person after my four years here. I may have missed out on the whole party-scene- but that's something I know I'm giving up for a good reason.

I'm going to go for the obvious and say that we are a historically women's college. What most people interpret, is that Wellesley breeds women who haven't learned to jostle with men, leaving them unprepared for a "man's" world. What this really means is that being female is taken off of the table, and you learn that a woman's opinion is just as valid and valuable as a male's. It means that you gain confidence, knowledge, and learn how to make your prescence known in a sea of awesome, something wholly unique to Wellesley.

I would say that the vast majority of students here have a love/hate relationship with Wellesley. It's not always fun, it's not ever really easy, and sometimes you wonder why you're working your butt off against grade deflation while the rest of your high school friends party. That being said, Wellesley changes you. It's made me a better, deeper thinker, more open minded, and braver than I ever thought I could be. If I could do it again I wouldn't change a thing.

As you can probably see I disliked Wellesley for all it's worth. I am an independent, laid back, sports enthusiast from California who likes to hang out with 'the boys'. If this describes you DO NOT even consider applying to this school, it's not worth your time. Wellesley has "the name" but college should be a place where you learn and grow as a person, not want to curl up under the covers and wish the four years to pass by while your eyes are closed.