Wellesley College

« See more reviews of Wellesley College

I'll admit that I owe pearls, and have been known to wear a cardigan, but neither regularly. I think that there's a healthy balance between all ends of the spectrum - the very conservative, 1950s, proper kind of girls and those who are absolutely not at all. Likewise, I think there's a tremendous variety in sexual orientation, gender identity, relationship status... I know first years engaged to their boyfriends; I also had a House President who was engaged to her girlfriend at one point. There is, I think, I more sizeable LGBTQ community here than at other institutions, maybe, or maybe just a more open one. But I don't think that that community is a definining or even dominant group on campus. At its best, the openness and support on Wellesley's campus creates space for really great dialogues. At its worse, we're no better than anywhere else. And, of course, being a women's college, trans issues are a particuarly interesting topic, although there isn't a particuarly large trans population on campus - I think we're still more conservative than other schools, like Smith or Mt. Holyoke in that regard. And of course there are students who like booze and boys, but there are at least as many students who spend Friday night studying for an exam or working on a putting together a cultural show, or watching movies... There are students who get very down on the social life here, but I think that its actually really been a very positive experience for me - you get to choose the elements you want in your social life and exert a lot more control over who your interact with and in which settings than I think most people do in high school.

Some of them more than others. There is something called "the Wellesley goggles" where men who we would have not been attracted to before college start looking more attractive, but if girls are really desperate, they just transfer to a different school or take classes at Brandeis or MIT. Not to mention the goggles, don't really lower our standards, if the guy's a jerk he has no more chance than he would normally, not to mention we know a bad pick-up line when we hear one and generally try to avoid guys who seem predatory. We came to an all-girls school because it was the best thing for our education, the presence or lack of men will not determine my education. We study a lot and people can really bog themselves down, but we can also take a step back and analyze ourselves critically and ask, "is this what I really want?" So, we can decide just like anyone else, that it's okay to take a class pass/fail, or not turn in one homework assignment because otherwise we won't get any sleep. It can be hard sometimes though to remind ourselves it's just a class, it's not our whole lives, because each of us is so driven to succeed.

As with most stereotypes there is some accuracy but a lot of myth. There is a vocal LGBT community on campus and the students are, for the most part, gay friendly. However, there are far more girls in pearls and pumps than in baggy jeans and chains. As far as an obsession with men that stems from being in an all-girls environment 24-7, this stereotype is also only partially accurate. There certainly is a large sector of the student population that spends a large amount of time off campus- namely in places frequented by men. It seems that almost every student here either has a boyfriend or recently broke up with one. But there are also plenty of students who are far more intent on getting good grades than partying it up.

None of these stereotypes are true! While it's true that LGBT issues play a prominent role on campus, it is more because the students feel safe and comfortable expressing their sexual preferences than at many other universities. I am not gay, nor do I (or have I ever) gone to Harvard or M.I.T. with the purpose of seeking out men. It is NOT a finishing school, for heaven's sake! We pride ourselves on our outstanding academics, and our status as "Wellesley Women" has everything to do with being outspoken, independent women, not future housewives.

There are really all types here, from conservative Christians, to prep school plaid wearing girls, to hippies that don't shower, to athletes, and Shakespeare experts. The stereotypes are not totally true, but of course there is a little bit of truth to each. The one thing that all Wellesley women have in common is that everyone here is smart and wants to receive a top notch education.

The vast majority of women do work like crazy...a lot also take themselves too seriously, but I have never had as much fun as I do at Wellesley with my friends. They're really what get me through all the stress and massive amounts of work. As much as I look forward to graduating, I can't imagine life without them right there a few rooms over.

Hardly. Sure some of us are outspoken, and sure there are lesbians on campus, but it is far from on all lesbian's college. As for the men issue- many have boyfriends already. There are times when single women long for that special someone, but rest assured, the next day they are too caught up in their work to remember.

While many at Wellesley are really ambitious, most aren't really cut-throat about it, there are still plenty of slackers here! The lesbian community is actually very small, all though it does have a big presence on campus. And yes, most women here really will sleep with any guy they meet.

These stereotypes are not really all that accurate in terms of the majority of the girls- but there are these types of girls on campus. While there are these types of girls on any campus, I feel these stereotypes are true for many girls on campus- but most definitely not all.

Not really- well the rich student part anyway. Sure there were the well-off people, then there were the middle class people, and then the not-so-well off people. When it came to academics and being independent, that's what was true for the most part.