Wellesley College

« See more reviews of Wellesley College

I am a photographer for the Wellesley News and I enjoy this activity! I am also a member of Japan club, because I am taking Japanese courses, and I've met some really wonderful people there. Chinese student association is also very popular here and we have a strong Asian pool. Because of the honor code, students trust each other and some definitely leave their dorms open. I sometimes just put my computer anywhere on campus and leave to have lunch and come back to get it. No one will take your belongings and it's the safest place. Wellesley has a lot of amazing traditions! You have to come to know:) Students tend to go to Boston over the weekend or hang around town. The shops and restaurants in the town are really cute:) As far as I know, there isn't a drinking scene on campus.

Wellesley has a ton of sweet traditions, like Lake Day and Midnight Breakfast. Organizations are also great about bringing guest speakers, so almost every night there is a lecture or show to attend. People tend to be involved in various organizations since there are so many groups and clubs on campus. There are always events on weekends, but often people just stay in with a pint of Ben&Jerry's and watch Grey's Anatomy. Your social life is what you make it, whether you want to spend your Saturday night going out, staying in, doing homework nobody will care and there will always be others doing the same. A lot of partying occurs off campus at places like MIT and Harvard, but people go into Boston for cultural events, and to go out to eat as well.

There are all kinds of clubs that can be checked out through the website. There are parties arranged by Wellesley clubs about every weekend which guys bus in for from MIT, Babson, Olin, Harvard, and BU. There's something mysterious and alluring to guys about an all-girls college, so they tend to hangout at parties. The campus is dry so alcohol isn't available at parties, however, people tend to pre-game. I'm not much of a partier, though others go off campus to frat parties at MIT, I tend to stay in and have movie nights with friends. If someone is awake at 2am on Tuesday, I guarantee they're trying to finish a paper or p-set. I go into Boston to watch movies and shop, or to just hang out and do homework, it's a beautiful city.

What's nice about Wellesley is that there is every kind of woman there. On the weekends, there are sure to be some girls going into Boston to get wasted, some girls doing homework, and some girls watching movies and baking cookies. Anything goes. The dating scene is very dramatic in the gay crowd because the school is so small. For those girls interested in men, though, pickings are slim. It's only possible to find date-able guys through guy friends at other schools. If you don't have guy friends at other schools, you're sunk. Meeting guys at Wellesley parties is nearly impossible since they seem to attract the scum of the Earth. Oh, and some girls hit up craigslist and various dating sites in the most desperate of situations.

I was an athlete on varsity teams for 2 years. Wellesley, with all its money, allocates very little to their athletic facilities, making training less convenient. Also the athletic teams are a cult, and very incestuous. Friday night (or Saturday if there is a society party), is the night to drink yourself stupid and then make out with the girl from the room next door. there is nothing else to do on a saturday/friday night but sit in your room and watch movies on your computer, hiding from the rest of the community. LUG (lesbian until graduation).

Wellesley is absolutely not a typical college experience. You can't wander down the hall to find a kegger. To have a typical social life, you have to make the effort to leave campus, which can be hard. Yet there are so many schools near Wellesley that there are enough boys to choose from. People don't usually go out on weeknights -- those are for homework. There are a million lectures, cultural events, shows, and low-key on-campus things to do. Our first year orientation was amazing -- I met some of my best friends there.

Wellesley is very low on parties. They banned our biggest parties a few years back but now they have them- just really controlled. Most people go into Boston or Cambridge to party (again here's where the senate bus comes in). For boys there's MIT, Babson and Harvard. For girls you got all of Wellesley. My closest friends ended up being my floormates 1st year and people I met in orgs. If you're awake on a Tues, you're prob studying. If there's a boy on-campus with no girl attached to him- everyone will wonder why.

What dating scene? If you're straight, go to Boston, study abroad, or have an internship if you want any sort of love life. If you're queer, the aforementioned places and Wellesley are good. Events are generally not popular. People are usually too busy with other work to do anything else. The annual Dyke Ball is always popular, though most of the other dances/parties at Wellesley are a bore. Don't party here, party elsewhere.

Some people routinely leave their doors open, but overall, everyone shuts their doors. Guest speakers are pretty popular, along with certain theater productions. I met my closest friends in my dorm or on the novice crew team. If I'm awake at 2 am, I am studying my ass off for an exam I have at 9 Wednesday morning. You can watch movies, go into Boston to see a concert or show on Saturday nights.

We have every kind of activity. Lectures, committees, cultural organizations, theater groups, dance teams (every kind of dance you can imagine),vocal groups, orchestras, societies, and more. Two of the three societies have houses on campus and they hold parties. The societies on campus form networks with Harvard and MIT fraternities.