Wellesley College Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

Gene

Stereotypes? A bunch of lesbian. Power-hungry, wanna-be world dominating femi-nazis. Fuck professors, cafeteria workers, anything with a Y chromosome.

I think we get a bad rap for being slutty. Also I have yet to figure out the meaning of the response ("ohhh a wellesley girl" )I get from frat boys when they learn I'm from wellesley.

Either we're sluts, lesbians, or both.

Since I was born and raised in Toronto, Canada, I was unaware of common Wellesley College stereotypes. I only became familiar with Wellesley stereotypes after coming to Wellesley and talking with other students during fall orientation. During this time, students would encourage us not to take any comments like "Wellesley girls are too intense" or "undateable" seriously. I suppose the most basic stereotypes would be: -wellesley students are white and rich -wellesley students take themselves too seriously

-Wellesley women are "loose" -Wellesley women are all lesbians -Wellesley women are uptight -Wellesley women just want to get married

Aleyah

They are very assertive and driven women, but they can also put themselves out there a lot.

students-lesbians, driven, highly competitive Wellesley- incredible academics, beautiful campus, no social life

Eileen

One is that everyone is a lesbian. This is not true although Wellesley is a very liberal campus and so we are maybe more open about our acceptance of anyone, wherever they are on the gender spectrum. There may also be a stereotype that Wellesley students are Wellesley- I can speak from personal experience and say that is definitely not the case. Another is that we're rather cutthroat. And very involved!

Wellesley students are sexually repressed and sex crazy. Also, most Wellesley women are lesbians.

Common stereotypes include that we are all bra-burning lesbians, extremely liberal, unattractive, husband-hunting females. Another stereotype is that we are all wealthy spoiled brats who major in Women Studies because in reality our degree doesn't mean a thing.

Suzy

That we're lesbians, that all we do is work, that we're catty

Quinn

I think the major one is that we are all either wealthy, lesbian or socially inept. While that does describe many Wellesley students some are not. Wellesley it self is also known as a place where fun goes to die and you lose your social skills and to a large extent this is true. But you get used to the work, and with a lot of effort you can have fun.

Sadly, deprived and easy. OR Uptight and conservative.

Oh dear, there are quite a few stereotypes about what kinds of girls go to Wellesley... There's the flaming gay, the uptight career girl, the militant feminist, the ardent Hillary supporter, the studious daydreamer who's completely divorced from reality, the virgin, the sexually frustrated girl who spends every weekend at MIT...

morgan

there are stereotypes about wellesley students-from wide ranges depending on who u talk to. we have been known for being both desperate for men(since we have none), and very smart, independent women. we are stereotyped for being lesbians, or at least experimenting. However regardless of these stereotypes, wellesley women can usually get into any harvard or mit party by simply saying you are from wellesley. We are definantly percieved as dating material.

Hunter

A common stereotype is that Wellesley women are all desperate for men and go out stealing MIT men from the MIT ladies in particular. Another stereotype is that we're all lesbians.

Some people think that just becuase we go to a women's college, everyone is gay. This is obviously not true. Wellesley women work very hard and are very determined.

The only stereotypes that I had heard prior to ever coming to Wellesley College were that because it was a private school, the majority of the students came from wealthy families. Another was that all Wellesley students were pretty much independent and head strong, competitive, well rounded,etc.

Carolyn

Everyone is gay/bi, the girls are cutthroat and backstabbing, everyone studies all the time, the girls date/marry Harvard/MIT guys

Wellesley Girls are stuck-up and overly ambitious.

Everyone is a lesbian or at least bisexual. (not true, just because we go to an all girls school does not mean everyone is gay) Girls either do nothing but study or argue. Everyone is a "that girl" who can't help but raise their hands all the time in class and proceed to talk about themselves, answer rhetorical questions, or repeat what someone else already said. Girls from an all girl's school have no standards in men and are just waiting for a hook-up. Everyone is a Hilary Clinton supporter. Mona Lisa's smile was an accurate representation of the college and its campus. (not) We're so driven to do better than everyone else that we don't know how to take care of ourselves and always take on too much. (this one is somewhat true, we have to make a conscious effort to combat this instinct)

Quinn

We are basically supposed to be hairy-legged lesbians that walk around in our underwear.

Tina

All Wellesley Girls are Rich, White and Preppy. The girls are very competitive. Radical Feminists.

Betsy

There's two stereotypes of Wellesley girls: 1.)Mona Lisa Smile Wellesley girls: proper with rich parents, and 2.) Lesbian feminists.

All Wellesley girls are either stuck up, liberal, lesbian, butches or know-it all, liberal, bitches.

People either think that we're boy-crazy or man-haters.

Liz

Well, to begin with there is Wendy Wellesley, the stereotypical Wellesley woman. Yes, that is correct, woman. You will be corrected if you say "all girl's school" because it is an "all women's college." Wendy Wellesley wears pearls and looks perfect at all times. She is brilliant at everything, especially Shakespeare and neuroscience. On weekends she spends time getting smashed with her smashing boyfriend Henry Harvard, but on the side she enjoys nerdy Michael MIT. If she is feeling particularly naughty she will go for a one night stand with Barry Berklee, who plays guitar. Although, she will ignore texts from those silly Babson and Olin boys. That, is the honest truth about the stereotypical Wellesley girl.

Lesbians and girls who only study

Tate

People think that almost everyone who goes to Wellesley turns into a lesbian, and those who don't go to Harvard or M.I.T. every weekend on the "fuck truck" to try to secure a husband. Outsiders sometimes ask me if it really is a "finishing school" like in Mona Lisa Smile.

Lorie

That the students are competitive, Wellesley is a bubble.

There are none, everyone knows that Wellesley is an amazing place full of brilliant, diverse women

That everyone is gay, that everyone is really opinionated in the bad kind of way

There are a lot of stereotypes about Wellesley girls being stuck up, others about us being man-hating lesbians.

Athena

We are very driven towards achieving our goals. We worry about grades a lot. We are very emotional.

Jerry

Dyke school Overachievers Catty

I think a lot of people have a negative attitude toward the all women's aspect of the college.

Tate

1. Everyone who goes to Wellesley is lesbian/bi 2. Wellesley girls are "easy' 3. Wellesley girls want to marry Harvard/MIT boys 4. People who go to Wellesley are anal about EVERYTHING.

angela

Some stereotypes: wellesley girls are dykes, are constantly studying, not your typical 'cool' type students, some wellesley girls are really slutty and are off to MIT/Harvard every weekend to try and hook up with some guy.

Janie

Ultra Competitive, Feminist, Liberal, Lesbian, Stuck Up, Uptight

Abby

Wellesley students are perceived as being all work and no play. Their noses are constantly in the books and they don't know how to have any fun. Another stereotype is that the women who attend this college are all men-haters and that majority of this campus is composed of lesbians.

Judgmental, Open-minded about sexuality, Closed-minded about everything else, Goal-Oriented, Stressed, Repressed, Not usually friendly.

Wendy

I think that there are a couple of stereotypes about Wellesley students: one that we're all walking around with pearls and cardigans thrown over our shoulders - very Mona Lisa Smile - and another that the campus is full of, if not man hating dykes, at least a lot of lesbians and feminists (sometimes conflated). And, of course, I think that a lot of other local college students can see Wellesley students as traveling in packs in search of booze and boys, but some of that has to do with who goes off campus to frat parties on the weekends.

we are either raging lesbians or all sluts.

There are a few: there's the "Wendy Wellesley" type, which is wealthy, preppy boarding school girls who weren't accepted to the Ivies; lesbians, who carry about three different stereotypes of their own (lesbians until graduation, butch lesbians, secret lesbians etc); the intense, overachieving perfectionist who is involved in ten extracurriculars and maintains a 4.0.

Wendy

A lot of people think that Wellesley is a school full of lesbians.

anna

type-a girl straight out of a j. crew catalogue, or pushy uber-feminist

That they are really intense and ambitious. That they are aware of the world around them. That they are spoiled little rich girls. That they are easily offended and often complain for the sake of complaining. That they ride the "fuck truck" into Boston on the weekends to scout for boys (or other girls). That they are all liberal, tree hugging lesbians. That they all love Hillary Clinton.

In addition to being hard working, conscientious women, we are stereotyped as overly motivated and competitive with one another. We are also said to be extremely liberal politically.

There are two main stereotypes: 1. Wellesley Students are losers and stay in and study all day. 2. Wellesley Girls are sluts.

The media likes to pigeonhole Wellesley students into two contrary stereotypes. According to The Princeton Review, the typical Wellesley student eschews any form of liquor or alcoholic beverage for a glass of milk and a warm cookie. Wendy Wellesley works hard through the weekend and does not even whisper the word, "party." On the other end of the spectrum, thanks to Rolling Stone and Cashmere Mafia, we Wellesley students are crazed, lesbian nymphomaniacs who need to report to the next meeting of AA. Boys/Men are kidnapped and forced to be sex-slaves to our testerone starved beings.