Wellesley College Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

Yu

competitive: yes, or kind of. particularly in economics or art department, where students are very competitive. But in other departments the atmosphere is really collaborative. smart: true. Wellesley women are very smart:)

Alexa

No way! I know very few people at Wellesley who fit that entire stereotype. There are a few of each type, but that's what's great about Wellesley...it's so diverse. Culturally, economically, intellectually (well, usually) and socially diverse. I was almost scared to come here because I bought into that stereotype, but being here for almost two years has taught me that there is so much more about the school than just those labels.

Victoria

Not many of my high school friends and teachers knew where or what Wellesley College is. When I explained that it's a women's college outside of Boston, the general reaction was, "What, are you a lesbian now?" After a year and a half at Wellesley, I can say that there definitely are lesbians (as well as students who are bisexual, trangendered, and more -- "sexuality is a spectrum not a binary"), but Wellesley, despite what people may say, is hardly a school "of" or "for" lesbians. We're a school of and for women, whatever their sexual orientation may be.

Victoria

Not many of my high school friends and teachers knew where or what Wellesley College is. When I explained that it's a women's college outside of Boston, the general reaction was, "What, are you a lesbian now?" After a year and a half at Wellesley, I can say that there definitely are lesbians, but Wellesley, despite what people may say, is hardly a school "of" or "for" lesbians. Like any college, students at Wellesley identify as gay, straight, and everything in between.