Wellesley College Top Questions

Alexa

I chose Wellesley for many reasons, but one of them was that I really wanted to be academically stimulated, and that has more than been accomplished in my time here thusfar. These girls are driven; driven to cure cancer, change politics, paint a masterpiece, get social justice...just driven. One of the least common personalities you will find at Wellesley is apathetic. That makes for a very inspiring, yet intense, environment. There can be some heated competition, but I've never experienced it firsthand. Almost infallibly, everyone I've met here has been truly friendly and willing to help...whether they're a peer, professor, or otherwise. The size is perfect; it is definitely intimate, but in my opinion gives YOU that many more opportunities to take advantage of the large amount of resources at hand. Many people confuse Wellesley with Wesleyan, think of it as "that girls' school," or just don't know of it at all. But I find that in the areas that really matter (i.e. getting a job/internship/applying to grad school), all the right people know exactly what Wellesley is and are more than often impressed by its rigor and reputation in the "real world." The proximity to Boston is one of the best things about Wellesley. It is not right around the corner, but if you want to go into a large, vibrant college city, you can do so (at any time of the day/night/week). Sometimes it will cost you $3/trip, others it's free altogether...but it is always worth it! And the fact that you can come back to your cozy, quiet campus at the end of the night is even better than the proximity itself. The all-women factor is a bittersweet one. There are times I miss socializing with guys and wish I had them "at my disposal" so to speak, but I in no way feel that you feel "out of touch" with the male race when you're here. I am in Boston at least once a week, and have many friends both male and female at various institutions throughout the city and/or Cambridge. I do, however, love the academic environment of having all women. Coming from a fairly normal public high school, I didn't think I would be prepared to have all women in my classes, but I've found it not only to be "okay" but inspiring! There is a definite lack of school pride on campus, heightened by the fact that many women go off-campus for the weekend (when many sporting activities normally take place). However, there is so much general camaraderie on campus that it is definitely reflected in sports as well...just not as much as most large universities. One infamous Wellesley t-shirt comically spells out "Wellesley Football" on the front and "Undefeated since 1875" on the back. If you're looking for a tailgaiting party school, Wellesley is most likely not for you. But the universality of the liberal arts experience lets both our joys and sorrows translate across broad spectrums. One common belief is that Wellesley is just like a giant, eternal sleepover. I guess technically that's accurate! I adore the friends I've made here, and couldn't ask to have met more genuine, smart, fun people than I have throughout the student body. There is not nearly as much cattiness as I would have expected being at an all-women school, and I love that!

Victoria

The best part about Wellesley is the classroom dynamic. Classes are small, the students are there to learn and are usually studying the course material because they're interested it. Best of all, the professors are brilliant and highly approachable. The are no TAs, so if you have a question or hand in an exam, you're dealing directly with the profs. Size factors into other areas of college life too -- since there are only about 2,400 students at Wellesley, you'll get to know a lot of your classmates very well, which I love. And, because Wellesley is a women's school, students are rarely shy and are usually confident and outspoken. All in all, a great environment! If I were to change one thing it would be the location of the gym, which is on one end of campus rather than somewhere in the middle. That said, the campus has a gorgeous lake with a trail that loops around it, guaranteeing a beautiful run at any time of year. Wellesley College is located in the town of Wellesley, which is mostly populated by ridiculously rich people -- so while there are some great stores just off campus, most of them are outside the average student's budget. However, Wellesley provides frequent (usually hourly) transportation into Cambridge and Boston, the greatest college towns on the East Coast. A frequent complaint on campus is the lack of guys, but this is easily avoided by a short bus ride into a city populated by hundreds of thousands of college students. Wellesley students can also cross-register for classes at MIT, Olin, Babson, or Brandeis.

Ryan

Someone else on here captured it perfectly when she said that your relationship with Wellesley feels almost romantic. It is a passionate and charged environment conducive to exploration and growth. Because you feel safe there as a woman, you come to feel an intense sense of ownership and connection to place. The Olmstead designed landscape and Collegiate Gothic architecture lend a certain mystery and gravity. Wellesley doesn't lock any doors, literally or figuratively, so you can come to know the campus intimately, from tunneling below ground to sunbathing on the roof of the science center. You will make great friends there, but the college is more than the sum of the individuals that go there. The alumnae network is incredible and deeply loyal to the school - I have found an instant connection with other Wellesley alums, even ones with whom I don't otherwise have a lot in common.

Gene

Wellesley's location is really nice. The campus is 500 acres (manufactured in some cases) with a lake, about 30ish minutes outside of Boston. I love that it's a small, green campus, with trees and trails, but that the city is just a bus ride away-- which Wellesley provides for free during the week. And while most everyone is really motivated at Wellesley to get good grades and graduate with honors and hold about 15 internships throughout their college career, you can make of the school what you will. There is such a diverse population on campus, so you're sure to find someone that you can relate to, who has similar interests or passions, as long as you put yourself out there to look for them. And yes, it's a women's college, but there are plenty of universities nearby, and again, your social life is what you make it. The bad news: Parties won't be knocking at your door when you want to have fun. The good news: Parties won't be knocking at your door when you are tired/ writing a paper/ studying for tomorrow's exam. The town is rich folk but there is pretty good food and buses and vans to take you to Boston and Natick if you need to get away. The administration is pretty weird at Wellesley. Some things seem progressive and some just seem stick-in-the-mud. School pride is underlying, I think. We don't have craziness with sports teams, but you'll see plenty of people wearing Wellesley apparel and such. And the school is pretty good about holding events on campus, like mini fairs. Which is pretty cool. We also get really good speakers, and the bands that come (twice a year) are awesome, and run by organizations and student council.

Brett

Come here if you want a good education. I have learned more academically, been more challenged and inspired and been taught what I am capable of at wellesley than every before anywhere in my life. Teachers here hold you to a high standard, and I feel that I am much better for it.

Natalie

The best thing about Wellesey is the high quality of the faculty and the courses. The next best thing is the amount of freedom you have to explore the different departments; don't waste the opportunity! All across the board your professors will consistently impress you and challenge you. Every position of authority in the student body is (obviously) held by a woman, which is something you will never encounter anywhere but an all-women's college. It is a small school, so there is a sense of sisterhood and community on campus. Last but definitely not least is the campus itself. Just take a look at the photographs; it's a beautiful place! Wellesley sits on a lake flanked by a small stretch of pine forest. There is a boardwalk, a forest trail, and a well-known flock of swans who call Lake Waban home. If you need to escape the quiet of "the Ville" (what we call the town of Wellesley), just take the school shuttle or your own car to Boston. It's only 12 miles away.

Wellesley is an academically stimulating environment. People work hard. Students are very determined and focused on themselves and their close group of friends. While people are friendly, Wellesley is an environment where you would most likely sacrifice a party for work. That being said, students quite quickly self-select their peers, those who prefer to live in the libraries versus those who would rather have a personal relationship with the MIT frats. One of the great things about Wellesley is how everyone is accepted: studying on a Saturday night is not "weird" like getting drunk and sleeping all day Sunday is not considered "stupid". Wellesley students respect one another. If you want to be successful here you have to work; and I believe that regardless of individual pursuits and decisions everyone appreciates one another because of this common thing, work ethic.

Shelby

Wellesley is a great school for many reasons. Foremost, the size of the college is perfect-- not to small and not too large. Due to the small classroom size, each student receives individualized attention from the professors and generally, professors are open minded, accessible, and approachable. The town of Wellesley is nice, albeit a little too upper class; Wellesley's proximity to Boston is a huge advantage. Though people are often shocked at the prospect of attending a single sex college, it is another huge advantage that Wellesley College has to offer. It develops a certain, Wellesley-specific confidence and ambition in each student. Wellesley women also form a very tight community: students and alumnae. The network is far reaching and powerful; alums are willing to exercise their "Wellesley" connection as far as jobs, and summer internships go.

Aleyah

It's a very small school, but I like the attention I get from all of my professors. People have very extreme reactions when I tell them that I go to Wellesley; they either are very surprised and proud, or they have no idea what school it is. When I am on campus, I'm normally in the campus center, or science center. I'm pretty close to Boston, which is a huge college town, but the town of Wellesley itself is very quiet. Wellesley's administration is very helpful and very kind for the most part. The biggest recent controversy on campus was about the students from different backgrounds not mixing with each other. For the most part, there is a lot of school pride. The most frequent complaints from students is the amount of work, or probably about the food during crunch time.

Anna

best thing about Wellesley- Professors, campus, and intelligent friends One thing I'd change- Increased accessibility to social activities on campus and off People's reaction to me going to Wellesley- Wow, good school, is that still all girls? Yes, yes it is Time spent on campus- outside when it's warm, boston on weekends, campus center during the week not a super college-friendly town Wellesley admin- okay, financially generous, but sometimes difficult to work with controvercies- often feminism-related, professor-related, food-related school pride- some, not much from sports though, even though we win a lot unusual Wellesley- all girls environment = pretty unusual unforgettable experience- lying in pool floats on the lake student complaints- food

Eileen

Wellesley is amazing. The best thing is how it looks- the campus is something of a wonderland with the buildings and the trees and the storybook lampposts. A close second is how diverse everyone is. I come from a small, mostly white catholic area and was drawn to Wellesley in part because there are so many international students and people from all walks of life. I was able to perform in an southasian dance show with a southasian friend and buy origami earrings from a Japanese friend at a cultural festival. Downtown Wellesley, or the Ville as we rather mockingly call it (Wellesley the town is quite rich!!), is nothing to write home about, mostly really expensive stores. But the bus to Boston is used quite frequently for both academic (classes at MIT) and social reasons. The size was good for me. After 4 years, I saw a lot of faces I know but always a bunch that I did not recognize as well.

Alex

Wellesley is the perfect size. Small enough so you know everyone by two degrees of separation, but large enough to avoid people is necessary. Many people on the west coast have never heard of Wellesley. The best thing about Wellesley are the female professors. Half of the professors I have had have been women. Being a science major this is especially rewarding since females are underrepresented in that field. The most frequent student complaints are the type of people Wellesley attracts. Hate to say, but there are some students who completely lack social grace. Another complaint is the lack of a social life on campus. One will notice on the weekends the campus is dead since everyone escapes to neighboring schools in Boston. The town of Wellesley is quite boring. Yes, it is upper-middle class, but the town is full or chain stores and very few restaurants. Did I mention it is also a dry town.....enough said.

Suzy

Wellesley is the right size for me, but that's because I wanted a small school where profs would know my name and who I was. There isn't much of a relationship between Wellesley College and Wellesley the town- it's a very rich, snobbish town so they don't really like the fact that Wellesley has become so international and that lots of people there are on a good amount of financial aid. Wellesley can turn into a little bubble and you can be captured into the "all I have to do is study" and end up doing homework all weekend long. Try not to get caught into that and make sure you get into Boston- yes it takes some effort.. but that's what the senate bus is for.

Quinn

The best thing about Wellesley is that since adversity and struggle break people together, your friendships are very meaningful and close. You have a lot of respect for your fellow student because at some level you acknoweledge that everyone is probably overwhelmed. The campus is small and usually dreary and gray but on a few sunny days in the fall and spring it is simply breathtaking. The lake adds a lot. Most people haven't heard of Wellesley so I usually just get blank stares. When they have a few are impressed and most are like, "that girls school? that must suck." I spend most of my time either in my dorm or in the science library. When I want to relax I have to leave campus even if its just to the grocery store, I can physically feel my stress going down. Wellesley, MA is probably the worst place for a college and Wellesley the school would be SO much better with a cool, thriving community of used bookstores, independent coffee shops, bars etc. Instead we have to go to Boston and spend money and tons of time to do anything and usually we flock uninvited to other campuses. I don't know anything about Wellesley's administration except that they should make it a priority to change the social life of the school, the personality types they admit, and make the "ville" better. Also housing is pretty bad. The closing of the overnight infirmary was a pretty big deal. School pride is kinda non existent except in a way "hey this is really sucky and we are all going through it together hooray." No one supports our hardworking sports teams. There is slightly more enthusiasm for cultural shows and dance groups, though not much. There is not one big event that truly unifies the school and given our small size you would think there would be. Wellesley is incredibly unusual. I think the reason our frienships are SO much more meaningful that at other colleges is a testament to how unique our experience is and also the women's college experience. Wellesley is an incredibly challenging, fast-paced (academically, NOT socially), and socially difficult place for some people. There are few schools to my knowledge that have such a diversity of people, life experiences and truly eccentric people. Wellesley students, while not politically motivated or that involved in anything other than their grades and grad school preparation, are very experimental as well. With their sexuality (probably due to boredom), sometimes drugs or alcohol, but mostly with their relationships.

Wellesley is definitely a very unique environment. The students there are definitely some of the brightest women in the country, and they know what they want. After all, coming to a women's college is not an easy decision to make. The greatest thing about Wellesley is definitely the academic environment. The professors are brilliant and accomplished and easily accesible. Its amazing how well you get to know your professors and how much they become more than just professors and more like mentors. When I first came to Wellesley, someone joked and warned me that every Wellesley woman becomes obsessed with atleast two of her professors. It couldnt be more true, you just get to know these amazing people and they become role models. Another advantage to Wellesley is our size. Its a quaint small campus with around 2,100 students. Around 50{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of our Junior class goes abroad and so we have only 2,100 students on campus at a time (another great thing about Wellesley is people's willingness to explore new things such as studying abroad- and Wellesley definitely caters to that). You get to know alot of the people on campus, and that makes it all the more fun. People dont generally react very well to hearing that I go to Wellesley. Alot of people tend not to know what it is, and many others gasp and ask how I could possibly be attending a women's college. However, occassionaly, you come across the more enlightened few that congratulate you and ask how you go to such a great school. I personally try to focus on the enlightened few. Another thing one must know about Wellesley is it's a politically charged atmosphere. Every woman has strong opinions about one thing or another and will not take it lightly if her beliefs are not respected. In fact the campus bookstore sells t-shirts that say : " Wellesley Women: I am offended." Its a Wellesley trait that we all eventually learn to love after we realize how much we contribute to it. Wellesley in general is not a place that one can adjust to easily. I definitely didn't. I spent my first semester in pretty bad shape, but my second semester has been a blast and I couldn't be more grateful that I stuck around.

I think a lot of people assume that Wellesley is a distinctly not fun place to go to college because there are so few parties and because most of the students make no secret of how seriously they take academics. When I've told people that I go to Wellesley, they frequently confuse it with Wesleyan, but when they are familiar with the school, they often ask me about the lesbian-until-graduation phenomenon, what it's like going to an all-women college... Although Wellesley is frustrating sometimes, largely because of the lack of boys and because of the very tame social scene, I really appreciate the atmosphere more than I dislike it. I'm not the biggest party-girl anyway, so I have no problem going off campus to party, then coming back to a nice, serene campus. The nice thing too is that if I want to stay in on a Friday night to get a head start on some homework, no one judges me or makes me feel like I'm wasting my life with my books. Everyone is very respectful of everyone else's decisions, at least in my experience so far. My only complaint is that Wellesley girls can sometimes be kind of cold, and that they don't make much effort to talk to other people.

morgan

I found wellesley to be the literally the perfect fit for me. there are always a handfull of wellesely women that end up transfering to coed institutions after their first year, because of the lack of males, or feeling isolated on campus. I found getting off campus with a few other girls actually really easy. if you want to explore boston, meet guys, and have a social life, you have to put forth the effort. Wellesley tries to make this easier for us with the bus systems which take wellesley students into boston every hour. from any of the bus stops you can then take the subway or taxi anywhere in boston. It takes homework, effort, and always helps to have friends with you. I found wellesely to be a both a stimulating academic enviorment, but also a safe one that i always returned to when i needed to focus. It does feel seperate from the rest of boston, but that is why i would go out every weekend even for just a movie with the girls.

Hunter

Wellesley is good for academics. However, there are a lot of cons. It's much too small. You'll feel like you're in summer camp with a bunch of gossipy 12 year olds. I think that the gossip is fueled by the utter boredom and complete lack of a social life students fester in all semester. People also leave campus the second the weekend comes around, so don't expect to have fun on campus much. Wellesley administration talks a lot about multiculturalism but they don't have a clue as to what the words coming out of their mouths mean.

Wellesley is a beautiful place. It is located on a picturesque campus with a lake, tons of trees and beautiful buildings. The student body is about 2,400, perfect as far as I'm concerned. Oh yeah, and they are all women. However, we are not male-o-phobic. We interact with men/ boys however much we choose too. I don't miss them much in class. The facilities are great! Our library is beautiful and the classrooms are well-equipped. The campus center is also brand new. The athletic facilities could use a little work. The town of Wellesley (the Ville) is not a college town. It is an upper-class suburb of Boston. It does have some conveinent stores like CVS, Gap and Breuger's Bagels. Wellesley also has a great reputation among those in the know.

Jessie

Starting with the Wellesley campus- gorgeous. It's a great balance between nature and city. It's a large enough campus that it is diverse and intricate and at the same time it is small enough that from opposite side of campus are within walking distance. When I tell people I go to Wellesley, I generally get one of two reactions: 1) Wow, it's so prestigious etc. 2) Where's/What's that? Given, I am from the opposite side of the country so not as many people might not have heard of Wellesley. But those who have are aware of the prestige and challenge that is Wellesley. There is a lot of school pride- mainly in the fact that we are an all women's college. We take pride in that- it takes a certain discipline to decide to attend a women's college. That's the unique thing about Wellesley- it's all women, aside from the few male students taking a course a Wellesley. These guys usually come from nearby colleges.

Carolyn

I never thought I'd end up at a women's college - and a lot of my friends felt that way too. I actually know very few people who were set on attending a women's college when they looked at schools, most were just looking for a small liberal arts college and decided that Wellesley was a good fit. And for me, a most of my friends, it's been a really great experience. Classes are for the most part excellent (and small!), and the professors are very accessible, and love to talk with students. The social life, on the other hand, can be a bit...lacking. If you're looking for wild partying on the weekends, you won't really find it at Wellesley, although there are plenty of people who go to MIT/Harvard parties. Wellesley's about 40 minutes from Boston/Cambridge by way of the exchange bus, which goes to MIT every hour during the week, and slightly more often on weekend evenings. So the city is certainly accessible if you want to go, but it travel there and back does take a fair amount of time. I've heard from some that the sense of community at Wellesley is lacking, which is not something I've experienced, but I know is an issue that the administration is trying to address. For the most part, people seem to find community by joining clubs, sports teams, or societies (which are pretty much sororities, although the administration denies it). I really like Wellesley's size -- small enough that you recognize faces when you walk around campus, but big enough that there are plenty of new people to meet. That's good, because there is really NOTHING around campus. The "ville" has a CVS and a Gap, and those are pretty much the only student-affordable stores in town. We're very close to rt. 9, where there's plenty of stuff to do, but is mostly inaccessible if you don't own a car. Wellesley's administration, quite honestly, thinks it knows far better than students about what's best for the school (and us). Often, they're wrong. Wellesley as a school is very image-conscious, which means it does things like start a reusable thermos program, and then fail to buy appropriate equipment to WASH it...and then keep it in dining halls and not tell students anything about the problem. Stuff like this is a sadly common issue. The most recent controversy was several months ago when students discovered during pretty much the last planning phase that the administration was planning to end the health center's overnight program. Instead, it is creating a partnership with a local hospital to take Wellesley students. This is a big problem because it creates a barrier that might stop students from utilizing health services, and kinda screws over the administration's policy that allows dangerously drunk students to spend the night at health services (they will have to pay to take an ambulance to the hospital). This is mitigated by the fact that health services is totally incompetent. They destroyed most of the hearing in a friend's ear, and told another friend with severe conjunctivitis in both eyes that her eyes were just irritated and she'd be fine. (she found out they were wrong when she temporarily lost vision in both eyes and had to be rushed to the hospital)

Victoria

Wellesley is really an amazing place to be. It's incredibly close to Boston, but far enough away where you can pick and choose when you want to go and get dressed up for the city, but can always call the quiet town of Wellesley home. I also really love the all women's environment. It's incredibly empowering. Wellesley, I feel is a perfect size. It's small enough to make students feel like part of the community- a name and not a number; but large enough to allow for all of the same opportunities found at a large institution. When I tell people I go to Wellesley I either get one of three reactions; the first is from an educated and successful person- "wow, that's pretty amazing", "congratulations", "you'll go far in life" the second is from a person who thinks they're intelligent- "why would you go to an all girl's school" and the third comes from an idiot- "what's wellesley?" I spend most of my time on campus in my dorm- it's where my Best Friends live.

The best thing about Wellesley are the professors. They are wonderful and honestly want you to succeed. I love the size of our school because the largest classes on campus are 60 students but most classes have between 15 and 30 per class which is amazing compared to a big university where you can have between 200 and 700 students in an intro class. This does mean however that we have less resources to do things like make a proper acoustic performance space for music unlike universities like UVA. The town is kind of stuck-up, since it's a wealthy area, there isn't much that caters to the students besides the local CVS, Lemon Thai and pizza place. The only place in town to buy clothing that isn't designer is GAP, but there's a shuttle to the mall and shopping centers in Natick every Saturday. I don't feel isolated since we're an hour outside Boston and there is direct busing to both there and Cambridge. It's not like Whitman which is totally isolated. Many important things in the college are run by the students, which I think is a good thing. The campus is pretty safe, though you should always be careful, but we don't have many incidents. There is a lake on campus, and the campus in general is beautiful. You are required to take PE twice before you graduate and you can take sailing or canoing as your PE along with karate and lots of other things. I love Wellesley, if I didn't I wouldn't be going there.

Taylor

The best thing about Wellesle is the small class size that allows for interaction with other students and the professor. However, students don't have strong opinions on anything, or at least don't express them strongly. Students are more politically correct than I'd like. Wellesley is just the right size. I spend most of my time on cmpus, when not in class or work, in the Scince Center "Mini Focus"-computer area. The biggest recent controversy on campus was the closing of the overnight infirmary. Wellesley has very little school pride. Wellesley has an unusually beautiful campus. Students probably complain most frequently about lack of sleep.

Quinn

Wellesley is a small school where you can have a really close experience with the faculty. The work load is intense but we all work to help each other achieve what we need to. No one will every shy away from an extra study session. Crazy new experiences, reliving old traditions, and becomming women who will make a difference in the world is what we do.

Tina

Wellesley is the top all women's college with an huge and extremely supportive alumni network. Wellesley Alumns are always looking out for current Wellesley students. You definitely have to try harder for a social life than at other schools, but focusing on your work comes very easily. The town of Wellesley is not a college town. It is very wealthy, but provides students with lucrative babysitting opportunities. However Boston, a huge college city is only a 20minute drive away. There is a huge diversity on campus. Students complain that the work load is too much and students are too stressful.

Betsy

As everyone knows, Wellesley is an all-girls school. I'll be honest, for a lot of people that's a big down side. But frankly, you stop noticing. Everyone here has so many different opinions, so many different stories (and Wellesley hosts so many different parties) that you don't feel the lack unless you're obsessing about it. Boston is REALLY close to Wellesley and the town of Wellesley is right next to the college. But when you're on Wellesley Campus, you're ON Wellesley Campus. It's not a mix of the campus and the city like some colleges. And the campus is gorgeous. There's no two ways about it. The campus is absolutely one of the most beautiful campuses that I visited. It's big enough to not feel confined and small enough that you get where you can recognize everyone.

Christine

Wellesley feels like a boarding school for adult woman, some might even call it similar to a prison. They hold your hand and tell you what you can and can't do. Unless you have a car or want to spend your life on the commuter rail or deal with the inconvenient bus schedule, you must live on campus all four years. Wellesley, the college, expects this, yet for some reason all the living spaces are still dormitory, style and very depressing and isolating. Not to mention it doesn't really teach one how to 'live' with others, because you are very separated. It also makes for much less social atmosphere as well as it ups the depression and stress levels. Many woman like to cook, that is NOT a possibility in this living style. No matter what others say, DO NOT store your food in the refigerator, for even though all dining halls on campus are free to students, girls feel the need to steal other's food. That is just lame, not to mention rude, especially for those with food and stomach issues. When I lived on campus I was either in class or in my room hiding from the rest of the campus or outside working out. I rarely did anything "community" oriented. Food at wellesley....is HORRIBLE. Not to mention the dining hall workers never know what is actually in anything so when you ask for specific allergens they don't know. While it is in a very pretty suburb of Boston, Wellesley, the town, is NOT a college town by any meaning of the word. It is a dry town and only 2 restaurants have a liquor license and if you want to drink you have to eat. The down closes down at 9pm, well CVS is open until 10 (I believe) but Starbucks even closes at 9pm. I think Wellesley spends too much on its 'image' to the public and not enough on making the campus a better place for students to live. They are even closing the overnight infirmary, that is going to be very bad for many students.

Julia

The best thing about Wellesley is that the professors really care about their students. I haven't been in a single class where the professor seemed like they were just trying to make it through the hour so they could move on to more important things. The classes are small and the professors really seem to be interested in the students' views on the material and any questions or comments they might have. The school is the right size for me, but it is on the smaller side in terms of student body. However, we are a vocal lot: recently there was a huge uproar about the administration's decision to get rid of the overnight infirmary and instead have agreements with local hospitals to save beds for Wellesley students. The students were not happy with this decision. But every so often, the administration does something really cool like have a fireworks display on the last day of classes to celebrate our new president (we also had a fireworks display last year for our previous president). When I tell people I go to Wellesley, the reaction is either "Wow, that's so impressive!" or "Wellesley... is that still an all girls school?... are you sure you don't mean Wesleyan?" But Wellesley students have an extreme amount of pride in their school.

Liz

The number one thing you will hear from every Wellesley student is that they "love their classes." This is the honest truth. The caps for the largest classes are at 35, most are below that. All of my professors know my name and meet with me when I want. TA is a word you will never hear at this school because they don't exist. You might have an SI, but they sit in on classes and will hold review sessions before exams ALONG WITH the professor's review sessions. Basically, Wellesley is all about the academics. The ville is the town in Wellesley. It closes at 9:30 and is dry.

Alex

I really like Wellesley and its isolated campus--there's something about the place that just makes it feel home. There's also something nice about walking to class and there are chipmunks and squirrels (certain paths) literally just running around in front of you. Where I spend time on campus depends on where my dorm is. Since there are tons of dorms scattered around campus, you might be close to the sports center, campus center, science center, etc. I think while there's a great deal of people who really love and appreciate Wellesley, there are a few who have a love/hate relationship with the school because it's so competitive and intense, yet ultimately rewarding and you sometimes don't realize it until you leave. The atmosphere tends to be very PC. Wellesley women in general are very passionate.

Tate

My friends and I love Wellesley as it is. Wellesley is so unique in character, and I have the closest girlfriends that I have ever had in my life (probably because there are no men)...who needs guys when you have your best friends?! As I say, "Hos before bros!" Besides my friends, the best thing about Wellesley are the amazing professors. I love each and every one of my professors- they are all willing to go out of their way for their students. It is obvious that they truly love what they do. Most of the time, I think Wellesley's student body is just the right size, but there are other times (like when finals come around) when it does feel a bit too small because of high stress levels. I spend my time all over campus, but the I probably spend the most time in the following areas: my room, my friends' rooms, Pendleton (more specifically, the economics department on the fourth floor), the dining hall, and when the weather is nice, on Severance Green or the Tower Courtyard. Make no mistake, Wellesley, MA is not a college town. It is a quiet upper class suburb of Boston with some cute shops (the Cheese Shop is to die for!), but the town basically shuts down after 8 pm. That said, however, it is extremely easy to get into Boston to access its never-ending nightlife. Wellesley has buses that go into Cambridge and Boston once every hour (more often on the weekends) and they run late into the night. The ride can take anywhere from 25 minutes to 1 hour, depending on traffic.

Alex

Wellesley is an amazing school for women who want to make a difference in the world. No one at Wellesley is ever told that something isn't possible, and because of the amazing Wellesley alumnae network, stipend and internship opportunities, and great academics, anything is possible. I have met a variety of different types of people at Wellesley from around the world with a myriad of interests. It is not unusual to find a student majoring in physics and music or chemistry and religion. Wellesley women are also very involved on campus. We have over 100 student organizations on campus, which is huge for a school of our size. And every weekend there are a dozen cultural events. What I love about Wellesley is that your "college experience" is not restricted to one college. You want football games? Go to BC. Drunken frat boys: MIT! A cool music scene--Berekley School of Music is there for you. Ever and all types of entertainment and merriment are available at your fingertips when you live in Boston and (not to be smug but...) being a Wellesley Woman will open any door for you at any college in the country--trust me, you will be welcome with open arms. As for sports on campus--sports are not at the center of the Wellesley world but there is a lot of classic school spirit and I have been to Wellesley lacrosse games and crew regattas. There are also a lot of non-sports related traditions that help amp up the amount of general school spirit. Lots of love for Wellesley, no worries.

Wellesley will introduce you to people you would never otherwise meet and opinions you have never heard before. Wellesley will shape you into a self-confident and worldly woman. Since it is a liberal arts college many students struggle to find their place when they graduate, and most opt for graduate school to gain job-specific skills. It is a little frustrating to discover that after $200,000 you are not qualified to do much more than write 30 page art history papers, but at Wellesley, college is about much more than job preparation. It is a foundation for life.

Athena

What Wellesley Does Best- Academics and Careers: Students have easier access to internships and research positions. Wellesley has a strong alumnae network. The personal attention from professors is excellent. I did not think that I needed a small college but now that I am here I see that I definitely needed a small college where I can get help from my professors and ask them a question at anytime. At a university, you will be a face in the crowd when it comes time for job placement. Huge name companies who are actively looking to hire women flock to Wellesley, the #1 womens' college in the nation. Every year, sophomores and juniors get recruited into internship programs with big-name companies such as Goldman Sachs, J.P Morgan, and UBS. These sophomores and juniors are guaranteed jobs at these companies after graduation. Wellesley also has a Wellesley In Washington Program - where students intern in the White House. The Wellesley Social Life: Your social life is what you make of it - it does not come easy to you -yet, it is definitely not as hard as people think it is. I came to Wellesley without any friends in the Boston/Wellesley area. September of my first year, I was already dating guys from nearby colleges and then I met my current boyfriend, who I have been with since the Halloween Party where we met. There are on and off campus: parties, sporting events, concerts, lectures, cultural celebrations, and etc. Everyone can find something to do- you just have to actively seek it out. Warning: Wellesley is weather-dependent. Students love Wellesley and think that our campus is beautiful in early autumn and spring but in the winter it gets really drab and depressing - be sure to get off campus on the weekends.

Jerry

The campus is beautiful, the classes are great. The size of the student body is a little small, but overall I like it. However, there are no boys. EVER. When I first visited, the tour guide told me that there are often boys on campus for parties and other events. This is a lie. Also, the town of Wellesley pretends that it's not a college town. It's way overpriced, there is only one pizza place and it sucks, and everything is closed by 9.

Jenna

Wellesley is an amazing school academically, but there needs to be more social activities on campus and with neighboring schools. The athletic facilities need to be improved in order to promote health on campus. There need to be more parties, and more social areas on campus to hang out and do homework, or just chill with friends. Wellesley needs to have more balance between social and academic life.

Tate

Wellesley is a bubble. A big, shiny, translucent bubble, with little rainbow swirls of 'real life'. I, personally, find this to be a wonderful environment most of the time. Honestly, I'm not ready for the 'real world' yet. I want to live in a bubble, developing my ideas at leisure and sharing them with my fellow students. Sometimes, however, this bubble gets oppressive, and even discouraging. Bubbles, you see, are finite - the possibilities of real life, and the real world, however, are (for the most part) infinite. There are some times when you want to reach out to try something, and find someone gently slapping your hand saying, no, sorry, not now. The traditions of Wellesley inspire a strong sense of community, and, while they can sometimes feel strange (traditions of an old world presented to modern women), they are definitely an experience to enjoy at Wellesley. If I could change anything, it would have to be where Wellesley is situated. Don't get me wrong - the campus is absolutely gorgeous! - it's the college town, or lack thereof. Wellesley is stuck smack dab in the middle of upperclass suburbia. "The Vil" (our so-called college town) is, for the most part, a collection of incredibly expensive boutiques, with clothing items ranging on average from $50 to $300+. There is, however, a wonderful book store, a CVS, a Starbucks... and the bus to Boston. The local mall is a prime example of gentrification, but there is another mall approximately a half hour away that's probably just like the mall of your home town. The only problem is that you're going to need either a car (or a friend with a car) to get there. The surrounding area of Wellesley is rather wealthy, and it is reflected in the shopping areas.

angela

The Big Picture: There is no other school like Wellesley out there. If you want to have that fun, crazy, wild "college experience," don't come to Wellesley. If you look out your window and see a giant football stadium with screaming student fans, don't come to Wellesley. If you want to have a bunch of crazy and fun friends, male and female, that go out really often and get drunk and tell really fun jokes- don't go to wellesley. If you are looking for a crazy fun time, don't go to Wellesley. If you want to learn about all different culture, study hard and learn all that you can in four year, attend some really interesting and inspiring lectures, and if you really want to become a more mature and intelligent person- then you should come to Wellesley.

Abby

Most of the time I am extremely satisfied with my Wellesley experience. I have made some really wonderful friends who have come from all over the world. I often say that my learning is only 50{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} in the classroom and 50{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} from my friends who come from so many different places and have experienced so many different things. Had I gone to another school, I am not sure that my friends would have been so varied and for this reason I am very happy that I chose Wellesley. Unfortunately you can not always be happy because as great as Wellesley is, it is not perfect. My biggest complaint is that the administration does not listen to the student concerns all that closely. The students are the ones who are most in-tune with what is happening on this campus and when we want to see something changed, they often ignore us. They claim to have a list of priorities already made and there is no way to alter this list.

Andy

Wellesley is too small and distant from the rest of the world. This can be bad if you end up disliking being with women most of your time. If Wellesley were in Harvard Square, or even close to an actual T Station, this place would be more tolerable. The town does not accommodate to Wellesley students. The townspeople (i.e. [usually white] families with children) use our campus as a park to stroll around, which is okay for them, but it makes the campus feel less like a college. This place doesn't match most people's perception of college. The most recent controversy here is pretty serious to the students...The 24 hour Infirmary is closing starting next year, which will make after hour health services inconvenient for students. After hour health care will be moved to a hospital, which is a bit of a drive. Thing is, no transportation method has been agreed upon yet, as it's supposed to be the hospital's responsibility to provide us transportation (thanks Wellesley). That's surprising, considering how far they are into the agreement. The school refuses to consider the opinions of the many dissenting students, as they're determined to pass this new regulation anyway. People who are/become sick frequently will find it inconvenient to get themselves to whichever hospital Wellesley decides to ship us.

Wendy

One of the things which I think is fairly unique about Wellesley is the extent to which students are involved in the running of the college. There are hardly any groups or boards which don't have student members. Students take part in Board of Trustees meetings, control the distribution of the student activities fee, are part of every major academic council committee, practically everything. Every year, four or five students are selected by their peers through the SOAC (Student Organizations and Activities Committee - a subcommittee of College Government) to sit on the Board of Admissions for two year terms. It's really incredible to read applicationst and be part of selecting the students who will come to Wellesley... in a very real way, you're shaping the future student body and alumnae network, the way Wellesley is seen in the world. With those opportunities for involvement, though, I think that it can be hard to keep perspective and there can be conflict between students' more short term goals and the administrative longview. Neither side is always right, and sometimes I think students take the instances of disagreement as proof that the administration doesn't necessarily listen to students - and by this, I think sometimes an issue of students wanting to, for better or for worse, dictate all directives - and sometimes get disillusioned rather than impassioned... it leads to a relatively small part of the student body serving in a large portion of the roles that shape the administrative view of the student body. And that's something that I think happens on a lot of levels at Wellesley - people find their niches and can sometimes get tunnel visioned within them... Crossing group boundaries can be tricky (especially to do it without getting wicked overexended) and that's something that every student determines for herself how best to navigate.

Casey

I love Wellesley. It's small enough to always pass someone you know on your way to class, but large enough that you can have your privacy and the entire campus doesn't know your every move. The town of Wellesley is absolutely not a college town, but it's lovely, safe place to live. We do have the "Wellesley Bubble," which is the term used to describe the feeling of isolation students have being deceptively far from Boston. A lot of people don't know about Wellesley, but we like to say that the people who matter do know and respect the school and its reputation. Absolutely everyone can find a place at Wellesley.

Wendy

There are two things about Wellesley that I love: the classroom academic and the beauty of the campus. The campus is small, and I often feel the need to get out. I probably wouldn't feel this way if Wellesley was more social. People are impressed that I go to Wellesley - if they have a decent academic background and have heard of the college. Many people in southern California really haven't heard of Wellesley, until I mention the movie Mona Lisa Smile. I spend most of my time on campus in my room. Wellesley isn't in a college town, and I would say it really isn't even a college campus - the administration does not encourage students to have an active social life. The administration is the biggest drawback to Wellesley. Despite all the claims that they like to support their students...the administration doesn't put their actions where there mouth is.

anna

i like that it's a woman's college without feeling exclusive. there is a male presence on campus, and i see guys all the time both on and off campus in boston. i don't like that the town is so snooty and doesn't really interact with the campus.

Julia

The best thing: the professors, and their amazing accessibility and friendliness and kindness. What would I change? THE SOCIAL LIFE. The campus is DEAD after 10pm and on weekends. The school is a little too small. I would add another thousand students. When I tell people I go to W, they usually either don't know it at all, or know it very well, and smile with a knowing grin, saying, "Oh!....A Wellesley woman, eh?!" as if it's some inside joke that I just don't get. Whatever that means... I spend most of my time on campus either at the library, at my job in the other library, in office hours, or rehearsing with my group. "WHAT COLLEGE TOWN?" Wellesley the town does not need the college: it's got its own reputation as the second-richest suburb in America (and no, I don't know the first). Wellesley's administration is helpful and friendly. Haven't had trouble with any red tape so far, although I hear study abroad prep can get complicated. The biggest controversy on campus recently was race related: a black girl published an article in an online magazine about why she didn't want to be a part of Ethos, the black student org on campus, because she felt it was reverse discrimination. She got "flamed on Community," meaning she was attacked on the online conferences that all Wellesley community members have access to. Not so much school pride sports-wise, but academically, yes. I would even say arrogance. I will always remember staying up until 3:30am the night before first-semester registration with my RA, who helped me pick my classes, calm my nerves and basically keep me sane. That's one thing you won't find elsewhere: someone who will ALWAYS be there to help you, no matter what time it is or how much work they have.

Anne

Wellesley is a great place for women who are self motivate and confident individuals. I love the friends that I've made and the professors that I've worked with. They really care about me and want what is best for me, which is so assuring and encouraging. It's definitely a more intimate environment than a large university. I feel like an individual here, and it's because of the personal interaction I have with such a diverse student body. My one complaint is that Wellesley the town is not really a college town. It is very small and suburban, so it makes social outings more of an ordeal, but it's really what you make of it. I constantly am going off campus and getting involved in activities outside of Wellesley, so it's possible to find a balance.

Olivia

I would change the social scene (which I am doing through SBOG) -- I don't know ... I get bored and antsy here a lot of the time. I feel like I was a little lied to when I came here about what life would be like. It is a lot more low key ... you have to really try to have fun. This is what I feel like most people complain about. Not your normal college experience.

Alex

When I look back on my Wellesley experience, I won't remember the grades. Gasps and cries of shame come from my fellow students. Wellesley is an intense academic atmosphere; it pushes you to your limits, and sometimes breaks you to put you together, again. Wellesley women are driven; it's no secret. Sometimes, though, we can forget the big picture. Amidst the comma errors, the p-set miscalculations, and the philosophical fumbles, we can get so wrapped up in the Wellesley Bubble that we just about explode. Still, though, grades are not what I will remember. I will remember meeting my soul mates. Coming to Wellesley, I finally met people I could truly call my friends. We were on the same level intellectually, able to discuss books, current events, and all kinds of frivolous subjects. For me, coming to Wellesley was coming home, again.

Catherine

Wellesley as a town really sucks; because I'm from there I feel like I am able to say that. The college, however, is a totally different world. Size-wise, it's small enough to get to know a good amount of your grade, but big enough to run into people you've never seen before. Without a doubt, the best thing about Wellesley is that it makes you feel like you can do anything. As much as we sometimes roll our eyes at the slogan of "Women who will," I feel like we all internalize it. I think I'm going to graduate a totally different, and better, person than I would have after a coed experience.