Wentworth Institute of Technology

« See more reviews of Wentworth Institute of Technology

Speaking from an architecture student's point of view, the lack of printing and fabrication technologies is my primary source of frustration. Our plotters and other equipment is out of date and does not satisfy the quality of work many students aim for. Printing our drawings at an acceptable quality must take place at other locations in Boston and becomes very expensive very fast. Wentworth has many talented students who I believe are being held back by financial constraints because the school is unable to provide the necessary equipment.

This school, while proficient in our co-op program, sets each student on a very specific track, pertaining to his or her major. For instance, I am currently in the Bachelor's of Science in Architecture program, and if I were to do poorly in one of my classes, I would have to begin on this "track" all over again. The design credits do not transfer, and the workload is very intense. Sometimes it may feel that, without an academic reward, it is not worth all the time and money on certain projects. However, post-graduation, it does pay off.

The worst part of the school is the lack of scanners and printers available to students for mass use. We have a print lab with two major printers, but when many students and scrambling to print their work for projects, it can usually turn into chaos with so many students waiting to print. Similarly, the library has three scanners (of three different sizes), but when we need to scan our large drawings, everyone needs to use the biggest scanner, and, just like the printer situation, it can be difficult.

I think the worst thing about my school is the lack of gender diversity between majors. In many engineering majors, there is almost an 80% male enrollment rate. All of the design majors are not much better, with the exception of Interior Design, which has a majority of women. To try and improve the female to male ratio, we have Women's Overnights for accepted students. This gives them an intimate few of the campus and classes, as the follow the upperclassmen around for one day of classes.

I don't think anything at Wentworth is extremely bad. The worse thing I can think of is their organization. For example, we have already picked classes and one of my professors is still unknown. Knowing who my professor is is very important to me. I talked to the dept. head before i picked my classes and he said he would work on it the following week; which he did not! It has been 3 weeks!

The lack of school spirit. We don't have a large group of students, but we still offer sports. Our school doesn't even advertise games to anyone, and we rarely have any school spirit days. When we do, nobody is really involved. I don't feel like people love this school fully. Instead everyone is academically and career focused and that's all they come to this campus for.

The worth thing about Wentworth Insitiute of Technology is the workload. Depending on your major, supplies can be expensive and homework can consume your spare time. It's great to be in a focused environment where you can see your future coming together, as long as you can deal with the stress that comes with it.

The school doesn't tell you that you will most likely need additional loans to pay for supplies. I was an architecture major my freshman year, and the supplies to build models added up quickly and I had to come up with the money out of pocket. It was difficult on my family and I.

Being a freshman at Wentworth I did not know what to expect, but since the beginning, there have been absolutley no problems with the school. I have been enjoying every minute of it and I will continue to enjoy as I stay here.

The worst thing was when they shut down th campus radio station. It gave a lot of students inspiration and an outlet.