Wesleyan University Top Questions

What's the dating scene like?

Kaitlin

So as a gal who likes romantic comedies and dating, I was VERY concerned as a high schooler applying to colleges. On all my college visits, I would hear that there was no dating and people either fall into two romantic categories: if you have a bf/gf you're a weird couple with no other friends and like, fold laundry with a glass of white zinfandel on Friday nights, or you (the majority) hook up with everyone and nothing develops beyond that. Wes is NOT like this! Yes, we have a bit of those two categories like every place, but people like dating here! We have lots of healthy couples, relationships of all levels of commitment, but I would say that generally, if you have a bf/gf, the relationship tends to last longer than, say, high school (6+ months). Honestly, this is probably because at college you can literally (if you want) be with someone every waking minute of the day, so it's pretty easy to figure out if you're compatible if you want. It's not uncommon for people to be head-over-heels in love, basically live together, and pick out the names of their future dogs, but they only last a month. But I would say there's generally more hooking up than dating but it's not as polarized as it apparently is everywhere else.