West Chester University of Pennsylvania Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for West Chester University of Pennsylvania

Evanthia

I went as a non-degree, commuter student and found it to be very open-and-shut. I did join a club and this was a wonderful experience, so I would say that West Chester is the kind of school that you make it out to be--whether a party place, academic atmosphere, social place, etc. There is definitely more push to be socially aware and academically inclined than a big sports school, and the education is very good. There are some truly motivated people, especially in the upper levels, and even the entry-level professors are wonderful. Overall, a wonderful school no matter your purpose as a learner!

Andrew

I like West Chester University a lot but the main issue for me is one of school culture. The students here seem to only be here to drink and party but when there are football games or any other sporting events it feels somewhat dead on campus. I have heard so many of my friends enjoying their time at other schools who have more of a culture centered around sports and that is severely lacking here. Furthermore, none of the students really get involved on campus with the exception of Greek life.

Leigh

West Chester is very hit or miss. Their on-campus housing can either be worth the money or seem like a rip-off, and I've experienced both in my years here. The same goes with campus food. The dining hall is practically avoidable at all costs, with too many cases of food poisoning or unwanted objects in the food. However, other dining locations are great, just avoid getting chicken. There are a lot of ways to get involved whether it's clubs, Greek life, or late-night activities in the Student Union. The professors are hit or miss, so you really should do your research prior to scheduling if you want decent professors. Overall, I like WCU, but I'm not sure I'd go again if I had the chance to redo my college experience, or even go back to get my Master's.

Nolan

West Chester University of Pennsylvania is a beautiful campus. We're located about an hour away from Philadelphia, and 25 minutes from the King of Prussia Mall. The school offers great academic programs and gives students the opportunities to get optimal attention from their instructors. It's never hard to get a hold of them. I suggest going here to everyone.

Ricardo

West Chester University is an awesome school and I’m happy to study there. Not only I’ve made a few friends during time as a student, but also the professors and other faculty members have always been there for me no matter how many times I ask for their help. I also think that WCU is a very safe campus because so far, I’ve never felt that my life was going to be threatened by a criminal or any other dangerous individual. That’s why I’m very grateful to be a student there, as well as many other reasons besides the ones I’ve mentioned earlier in this paragraph.

Lisa

I've always wanted to be a teacher. I graduated high school and some college. I became pregnant and a single mom. It wasn't my time. 23 years pass and that daughter now graduated from college. My other two daughters are getting close to entering college within the next five years. If I don't go back to college now, I probably won't. In the elementary school I where I work as an aide, I asked the teachers where the best university was for education. The answer was always West Chester University. The teachers are always available and the class times are flexible. The town itself is nice with retail, restaurants and parks around. It caters to all ages of learners and has a nice community feel.

Jasmine

West Chester University has a great education program. The professors, for the most part, are very helpful and know what they are teaching. The on campus food is alright, it could be better. Students on campus are friendly but most people tend to stick within their friend group.

Caressa

My parents always told me that I would go to West Chester University for college. I was dead set on the idea at a young age the I wanted to go far away to play field hockey at an institution. However, upon stepping foot on West Chester's campus for a clinic and tour, I knew it was the perfect place for me. After committing to their field hockey team, I was instantly involved with the insanely connected sports world at West Chester. It was crazy to see how close all of the sports team were together. The inner sports team competitions were awesome and allowed all of the athletes to bond. It was so cool seeing ever team cheer each other on! After getting hurt and not being able to play sports anymore my eyes were open to the rest of what West Chester University had to offer. It was after I quit field hockey that I met my best friends. Little did I know that they all lived in my dorm building and even more exciting most of them lived on my floor! I began to get around the campus more every week since I didn't have to focus strictly on academics and sports. My eyes were open to several new clubs that are super fun! Greek life is an awesome environment at West Chester! I love how everybody on the campus comes out to sports teams and greek life's events everyday. Ram Squad recently started up this year and its an awesome way to bring the school together as one to cheer our amazing sports team on! Another awesome part about going to West Chester is the professors. I have not had one professor that I did not enjoy in my year at West Chester. They are so focused on teaching and helping students get the best understanding of the course they are taking. You even see some of your professors at arts performances and sports games which I think is super cool! Another great part about West Chester is being able to go to town and have a good meal at the restaurants and being able to go to all of the Borough events like the restaurant fair or Christmas parade. The only bad thing about West Chester is that there is not a lot of gluten free options on the campus which is the reason why I only gave a rating of four stars. Overall, I am so happy with my decision to stay close to home because West Chester's environment is one that you will never forget!

Caroline

West Chester University is a really great school with a variety of strong academic programs. There's a club, sport or student organization for everyone and if there isn't one students are welcome to start their own club. On weekends there are plenty of things to do with town only a few blocks away. The school also hosts a variety of late night events on fridays for people to hang out and have fun.

Kelly

I enjoyed my years at WCU, as an undergrad and grad student. I found the classes to be interesting and the teachers to be helpful and caring. I loved the university setting and the atmosphere.

Cierra

I really enjoy it here. People are nice, there's always events, and I feel like I'm learning. The Campus is very clean, the food is good, at least I think so. The town of West Chester is not far from campus. There's many restaurants and little shopping places there. I like West Chester University. I feel like it's more affordable than some other places and its a happy medium for being close to home without being at home. It's a nice place.

I thoroughly enjoy my classes, I adore my professors, and I have a group of students who are very academically focused (like me) who love to engage in intelligent conversation. With that being said, WCU is a "party school" of sorts. If you are not accustomed to that environment (also, like me), then this school is socially challenging. As long as you maintain a positive attitude, are an accepting individual, and network with students and faculty, your university experience will abound with good times!

Kiersa

It's a good state school & it's not as expensive as some schools. Housing & parking are a pain, and a lot of the food is unhealthy.

Annelise

West Chester is really great. I commuted but still felt like a part of the University. Most professors are really approachable and cool. I really wish I could've been there for a longer amount of time. I loved the campus, it is beautiful and all academic buildings are in walking distance of each other.

Chayse

West Chester University is an amazing school. They have an amazing arts center and a whole "south" campus dedicated to sports and sports medicine. If there is a major or minor you might be interested in there is an opportunity for you to take it. Not all of the professors are the bomb but a lot of them are and they are willing to work with you with anything you may need. Tons of clubs!!

Kaelin

I visited West Chester University several times. The campus grounds are very clean and well maintained. I like how the freshmen dorm rooms are air conditioned not like other dorms I have visited. The campus is located near a great town with lots of eateries and shops. There are also many clubs and organizations to join at the school.

Alexis

Attending West Chester University has been the best decision of my life. I have met the most amazing friends, the campus is beautiful and safe, and the professors actually inspire me to learn. I love this school and it has made my college experience a really positive one.

Ishayah

it’s a good school. i like it. there are plenty of things to do and plenty of people to meet. the food is somewhat okay, could be better. as far as professors, some of them are cool and some are just ridiculous. it really depends on the type of person you are.

Julia

It is a great school with an abundance of opportunities. Especially being in their honors college, I have created so many bonds with so many incredible people- both students and staff! It also cannot be denied that the music department is absolutely incredible with amazing faculty that just wants to see everyone succeed. I am extremely grateful for being able to go to this school, and I'm very happy here. Go Rams!

Anna

West Chester University is perfect if are looking for a place that is not too big or too small. The university is in close proximity to the city of Philadelphia, which provides great day trips on the weekend if you are looking to get off campus. If you want to stay on campus, West Chester offers an array of extracurricular activities and a quant downtown with great shops and restaurants. West Chester provides amazing ways to get involved with the campus community including sports, student government, activism, the university dance company, music, Greek life and so much more. The academics at West Chester are strong and the class sizes are small which allows students to not only make connections with peers but also their professors as well. Come to West Chester and see who you could become!

After my first year at West Chester University I can honestly say that I love my school. My professors are amazing and there are so many different ways to be involved in the school outside of the classroom. I have made so many new friendships and always feel safe on my campus. I would honestly recommend this school to anyone.

olivia

Overall West Chester University is an excellent school with great people. The campus is beautiful and draws you in. The dorms are decent and have excellent air conditioning. The teachers want to see you succeed. They offer plenty of networking parties and on-campus job fairs. I know tons of graduate students who were able to find a job before they left undergrad because of the opportunities West Chester University offers its students.

Maxwell

I love WCU, its made me feel at home thus far, and the classes, as well as professors are always there for your benefit. It really stands out for a state school. The affiliated housing, which is more so like staying in a hotel, is awesome. The only gripe I have with it, is that the housing management changed my rooming three times as of right now.

Overall, my time at West Chester has been great so far. I enjoyed the experience of living in a dorm, and there were many programs available to help freshmen adjust to college life. There are tons of clubs to join and I made a lot of friends in my first year. The professors are very helpful, and there are always other students and tutors willing to help.

Sam

It's a very quiet school. There's not much to do around campus and it's a very different experience than expected in college. The academics are great, but that's all that the students care about. No one likes to have fun. Lol. And the school is very money hungry. No matter how little you owe to the school, they'll find anyway to make you cough up more coins to them. It's annoying.

Grace

I love West Chester University. There is a great sense of community on campus as well as in town. The professors are overall very approachable and helpful, as well as very knowledgable about their subjects. I love West Chester. It is my home away from home!

Kendrell

The university is a medium sized school, which was a perfect fit for me. Not too small, but just large enough. The average class size was around 25 to 40 people unless you were taking one of the 100 level gen eds. Those typically saw an average of 60 to 150 students. As for staying in or around the university, you have a variety of choices from traditional style dorms (which were my personal preference as a freshman and sophomore), affiliated dorms which are more upscale, campus apartments on the southern campus, or various houses located throughout the town. If you're looking to make friends during your first year on campus I recommend staying in traditional dorms. The close proximity to other students allows you to easily socialize and you're never that far away from some sort of entertainment. If you're looking for something to do, you could join one of hundreds of clubs and activities offered around the university; Everything from greek life, to our award winning marching band, student government, the video game club, our culturally and religious based clubs, the dance team, the botany club, one of many art based clubs, major based groups, the student activities council, and a variety of sports. The university is also located just minutes from the town where you can find yourself walking around for hours either at one of their many shops, ice cream parlors, restaurants or various bars. Philadelphia and King of Prussia are both in close proximity adding additional things to do on the weekend. Academics have a strong influence on the university. Professors are never far away and always available if you need them and will gladly extend a helping hand. We also offer a career and development center where you can get help with resumes, interviews, and tutors for class. The students themselves are extremely dedicated to their school and are not afraid to show their love and support. If any of this has piqued your curiosity, I encourage you to come to the school, take a tour, and see what we can offer you.

Carrington

West Chester University has presented me with an allotment of opportunity. From it's diversity to its accepting environment, I couldn't see myself on any other campus. There are always things to do on and around campus like joining clubs, sitting in the quad, watching a movie in the theater on Fridays, and so on. Overall, I would say that West Chester is a great school to attend and the experiences it provides is hard to forget.

Abigayle

West Chester University of Pennsylvania is a school that I am proud to be a part of. The degree options, and internship programs, and teaching from the professors is phenomenal. I would recommend anyone who is searching for a University to look no further then West Chester University of Pennsylvania. The field of study that I am pursuing has a great undergraduate program that offers many different opportunities for internships. I also receive emails of potential job opportunities in the area that relate to my degree. I am very confident that after I do graduate, I will be able to land a job because of how highly employers think of graduates from West Chester University of Pennsylvania. The staff and professors are also very profession and helpful when i have a question or I'm struggling to understand something. It is comforting to know that I go to a school where they accept every background and race with open arms knowing that each individual has potential to be great. With this mindset, the professors often encourage students to get out of their comfort zones and explore new ideas and learn to reach their full potential. I am an older college student, which means I stand out amongst my peers, but the teachers always making sure that I feel welcomed in the classroom. I believe this is important to mention because I believe it speaks volumes on how the staff and professors are able to adapt to whatever situation they may find themselves in. I believe all these different aspects of the University are what makes being student there a pleasure.

Kristine

The West Chester University of Pennsylvania was my dream school while applying for colleges, and it still is today. I was so happy when I received my application. When I visited the school and went through the orientation process, I learned so much about the academics, sports, and student culture on campus, and I loved every minute I was there. My classes have been great and I've been learning a lot. I am very proud to call myself a Golden Ram.

Eunice

I love this school! I am a commuter, but even so, I have experienced so much and there are so many opportunities for students like me! There are so many clubs, and the people here are great. Great school, and you get more than your money's worth. The campus is also gorgeous! The town is so adorable and there is so much to do

Cheyenne

In my overall opinion, West Chester University has a great academics program. Built in a small town, it has a lot of potential to prospective students with great sports teams, fun extracurricular activities, and awesome academics programs. Along with that, West Chester also offers mediocre food choices and decent on campus traditional housing, but creates a very safe feeling when walking around campus. Overall, I really enjoy attending West Chester University.

Danasha

I really enjoy being a graduate student at West Chester University. The professors in the Communications Studies Department are very flexible with their times and days for their office hours. They also are very passionate about the subject matter and it shows through their teaching. Go Rams!

Preston

I really love my school. It has been a place where I have matured and met life long friends. West Chester University is really big on greek life, so if that is something people are interested in, I highly recommend this university. This university also has some of the best facility members. These people are always willing to help students with anything they are struggling with.

katerinne

I love West Chester University. Since my senior year of high school I have been interested in attending this school however I decided to begin community college first. I am extremely glad that I did and found the major that is best for me and also found the school that I would be grateful to attend to receive my Bachelor's degree!

Brianna

In my opinion, West Chester is a good school and the academic opportunities are great, there's also a ton of opportunities to do things outside of class. There are many clubs and sports where you can connect with people who have the same interests as you, and even make some lifelong friends.

Giavanna

This is only my first year attending West Chester University of Pennsylvania, but within my first year I can already say that I love the university. Not only are the professors accessible and helpful, but campus in general is a fun place to be. There is always an event happening and many of the students are involved, which makes the atmosphere that much better. West Chester University was my first choice college and I am so happy I chose this university because it is everything I'd hoped college would be.

Gianna

I personally enjoy the school. It is a beautiful campus and they are currently working to make it even nicer by redoing a lot of the buildings. The on campus housing (dorms) are really nice. I stayed there my freshman and sophomore years. The food is not bad either. There are options of different places toe at which is nice. The classes are a good size. It is very rare to be in a very large lecture class, which is a plus for me. Most of the teachers are really nice and helpful. Overall, it is a really good school.

Ben

Good school for the price, but there are plenty of things that could be improved upon. Especially the little things, such as nonworking hand dryers in the bathrooms or no rack to hang your bookbag when you use a stall. They spend money on weird things, and don't have some things that are really essential. The food is pretty bad but I think that is a college standard. What bugs me is how overpriced it is for the quality...You can't go wrong for this school and I think it is on the higher end as far as state schools go, but there is still room for improvement.

Rebecca

West Chester University of Pennsylvania is a great college to attend. The campus is beautiful and easy to navigate. West Chester has a very diverse campus life. The professors are wonderful as well; for the most part professors are very available outside of class hours and office hours. The courses are challenging and well structured and there are a number of different majors to choose from. West Chester is known for its nutrition and dietetics program and their nursing program. West Chester University of Pennsylvania is great choice for traditional students and non-traditional students.

S

This school harbors such a trash environment. They make it seem like they care about you, but they don't. All they care about is the money you can give them. Only a very small percentage of the school faculty and staff care and will do their job to help you out. Almost no one graduates on time because of how irresponsible the staff is about helping students reach success. All they use the money for is construction and fancy new things instead of investing it into the actual education that everyone is paying for. A complete mess!

kamile

west chester university is an amazing they have a lot to offer far as clubs social gatherings. There dorms are pretty standard. The community is great everyone is friendly and helpful in the class room its an sizable class of 25 usually could be more depending on major cafe food is quality food overall i give the college a B grade.

Shaidana

It's a wonderful diverse school. Its affordable and there is always a open hand to help with everything that has to do with succeeding .

Wynter

Overall West Chester is a good school. The people are friendly, and there is always something to do. There is a large selection of majors and classes you can take, and the professors are usually helpful. There are clubs for everything- and I mean everything. We have fencing, crochet, creative writing, Russian and so many more clubs for students. The food is good on holidays and when people are visiting, otherwise its so-so. Overall I am happy I chose WCUPA.

Maegan

West Chester University has really became my home away from home. There is always some activity that I can go and participate in. The community in and around campus is always so kind and compassionate. I never feel unsafe. I recommend WCU to every high school student I know. West Chester University is kept clean, safe and up to date. I love it here and can't wait to spend three more years here, if not more!

Justyn

West Chester has gave me the opportunity to meet no people and actually feel a sense of welcome. There are a lot of resources on campus that will help you with anything. The people are very nice. Also, there is a town surrounding campus so you can walk and explore what is out there.

Jenna

I began attending West Chester University in the Fall semester of 2018. I attend as a graduate student through the online MBA program. Although I am an online student, I feel very connected to the university through regular communication. For anyone who is looking to further their education or pursue an MBA degree, I would highly recommend WCUPA. The professors are great to work with and the business school is AACSB accredited, which is a strong desire for any business major.

Johanna

West Chester university is A beautiful college in a beautiful town. There are many places to go out to eat there are many things to do. And the people all around seem like good genuine people. The campus makes it easy to walk around town and enjoy everything and everyone.

Leah

I like the atmosphere of a small college campus, but it has the options and opportunities of large campus options. Overall the professors are knowledgeable. The campus is undergoing construction for much-needed upgrades, however, they do keep the facilities clean and well-maintained.

Alexia

My overall opinion is that West Chester University is a great school. There is not a thing that I would change about it. West Chester University is so different from the other colleges, it makes me happy to know we care about the students. It is a school that allows you to be creative and think outside the box. This school allows you to expand your knowledge and partake in new things. I love my school.