About West Liberty University

Founded in 1837, West Liberty University. is a Public college. Located in West Virginia, which is a city setting in West Virginia, the campus itself is Rural. The campus is home to 2,109 full time undergraduate students, and 208 full time graduate students.

The West Liberty University Academic calendar runs on a Semester basis. In the school year the student to faculty ratio was 13:1. There are 119 full time instructional teachers. Degrees awarded at West Liberty University include: Bachelor's Degree, Masters Degree, Post-master's certificate, Doctor's degree.

Quick Facts

Acceptance Rate71%
Application Deadline
Application Fee0
SAT Range830-990
ACT Range18-23

Admissions at WL are considered Selective, with ,6% of all applicants being admitted.

In the school year, of the students who applied to the school, only 24 of those who were admitted eventually ended up enrolling.

76% of incoming freshmen are in the top half of their high school class. 38% were in the top quarter, and 12% were in the top tenth. You can apply online.

STUDENT LIFE

We asked, and students answered these important questions about student life at West Liberty University.

“We”re apathetic”
“We know about current events and vote”
“We participate and encourage others to get involved”
“There”s nothing we won”t protest”
“We save it for the classroom”
“Sometimes, but not often”
“There”s usually intelligent conversation to be found”
“All the time, including weekends”
“I”m always terrified”
“I only go out in groups”
“I usually let someone know where I”m going”
“I feel extremely safe”
“We don”t play sports”
“We play recreationally”
“We bought the gear”
“We live for the big game”
“It”s not really our thing”
“Occasinally we gallery crawl”
“There are a variety of opportunities”
“We”re a very artistic group”
“Haven”t met them”
“Available in class”
“They keep regular office hours”
“They”re always available”
“No greek life, but other groups to join”
“There is some involvement, but not a lot”
“Plenty of people join a sorority or fraternity”
“It”s everything. If you”re not greek, you”re a geek”
“We”re not into drinking at all”
“Maybe a little, but it”s not a big thing”
“We only party on weekends”
“There”s some drinking happening every night”
“Never, we”re here to learn”
“There might be people who do”
“People are known to partake on weekends”
“There”s a huge drug scene”
“We”re apathetic”
“We know about current events and vote”
“We participate and encourage others to get involved”
“There”s nothing we won”t protest”
“We save it for the classroom”
“Sometimes, but not often”
“There”s usually intelligent conversation to be found”
“All the time, including weekends”
“I”m always terrified”
“I only go out in groups”
“I usually let someone know where I”m going”
“I feel extremely safe”
“We don”t play sports”
“We play recreationally”
“We bought the gear”
“We live for the big game”
“It”s not really our thing”
“Occasinally we gallery crawl”
“There are a variety of opportunities”
“We”re a very artistic group”
“Haven”t met them”
“Available in class”
“They keep regular office hours”
“They”re always available”
“No greek life, but other groups to join”
“There is some involvement, but not a lot”
“Plenty of people join a sorority or fraternity”
“It”s everything. If you”re not greek, you”re a geek”
“We”re not into drinking at all”
“Maybe a little, but it”s not a big thing”
“We only party on weekends”
“There”s some drinking happening every night”
“Never, we”re here to learn”
“There might be people who do”
“People are known to partake on weekends”
“There”s a huge drug scene”

West Liberty University REVIEWS

Write a review, Enter to win $1,000 Scholarship
  • How would you rate on-campus housing?

25 Students rated on-campus housing 3.9 stars. 24 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate off-campus housing?

20 Students rated off-campus housing 3.3 stars. 0 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate campus food?

27 Students rated campus food 3.4 stars. 26 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate campus facilities?

27 Students rated campus facilities 3.8 stars. 22 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate class size?

27 Students rated class size 4.3 stars. 52 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate school activities?

26 Students rated school activities 3.5 stars. 23 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate local services?

27 Students rated local services 2.7 stars. 4 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate academics?

27 Students rated academics 4.1 stars. 44 % gave the school a 5.0.

What's your overall opinion of West Liberty University?

12 Students rated West Liberty University

Jaclyn - 10/27/2021

Coming from a larger city, I found great peace in West Liberty University's rural campus. I was a member of a sports team, so making friends was easier, as most athletes tend to befriend other athletes. Honestly, it seemed the students were made up of either athletes or local commuters. Academically, studying in the college of natural sciences was quite challenging. Some may think it would be a poor program due to West Liberty's size or location, but that is far from the truth. The class size made professor-student interactions personable, making it easy to schedule any extra help needed outside of classroom time. The only major flaws to WLU are the room and board situations. Not many options outside of dorm life. Also, the food options and hours are inconsistent.

Kaitlyn

I'm going to be attending West Liberty this fall! I never thought I'd find a college so perfect for me. Everyone is so nice, the campus is beautiful, the classes are small, the professors know your name, the food is delicious, and the dorms are nice! I can't wait!

Zackery

As a student here at West Liberty, I love it!. Coming from a private college to a University sure does make a difference! At my old school the teachers discriminated against those who did not understand a subject, so it was hard finding help in academics. But here at West Lib the teachers are very helpful. The environment is so welcoming, and the surrounding area is so eye appealing. It's a smaller university than most, but it has big promises! And it's affordable! I would recommend West Liberty to anyone looking for a great career and having fun achieving it!

Molly

West Liberty University is my home away from home! I've received a quality and affordable education with opportunities unique to our campus. My professors are always available and willing to help. I've made so many new friends from all the events campus offers.

West Liberty University FAQS

1. What is the Acceptance Rate at West Liberty University?

The fall 2020 acceptance rate for West Liberty University is 71%. That means, out of _____ applications received in 2020 , _____ students were offered admission. The number of males who applied was _____ vs the number of females which was _____.

2. What should every freshman at your school know before they start?

If I could go back and give myself a pep talk about college, the key points would include: how to become independent in a short amount of time, how to better manage my time, and ways to get involved in as many ways as possible. I feel like I was so dependent on my parents before I came to school and then when I watched them drive away, I didn't know how to make it on my own. I would recommend to all high school seniors that they take the necessary means while still in high school to become more independent before reaching college. It is also imporant for college students to have fun, but more important that they put the reason that they are in school first, their academics. Organization plays a major role in this process. Knowing when things are do, what is expected of you, and how to make yourself look professional and mature can all contribute to putting academics first. The best advice that I could have given myself would be to get involved in as many things as possible. I was lucky and had tennis to help with that, but not all students will.

3. Describe the students at your school.

My class mates are helpful.

4. What kind of person should not attend this school?

Some city people have a harder time adjusting since it is so small and there isnt many places close.

5. Here's your chance: Say anything about your college!

One thing that is unique about West Liberty State College is that the faculty and staff really care about its students. The make sure that the students are on track to succeed. It's a small, friendly environment with small class sizes. The professors take the time to get to know you as a student and person.

6. Describe your favorite campus traditions.

My school is best known for being far from everything.

7. What's the one thing you wish someone had told you about freshman year?

Actually I wish that I had know how capable I would be in handling colleg classes and the assignments. I do not mean to say that they are "easy" but I really was concerned prior to attending college, in what I perceived would be the difficulty of takeing college courses, and how I would handle them. Once I began the classes, I learned that I was better prepared than what I thought I was.

8. What do you consider the worst thing about your school? Why?

There is nobody around on the weekends.

9. What do you brag about most when you tell your friends about your school?

I love that it is small and every part of campus is in walking disance. You can get out of bed 10 minutes before class and make it to your class on time. The teachers tend to know you by name since the classes are of reasonable amounts.

10. What's the most frustrating thing about your school?

The most frusterating thing about West Liberty is that no matter how cold, hot, or rainy it is you still have to walk to and from your classes and dorm.

11. Describe how your school looks to someone who's never seen it.

Stayed involved in things and definatley get to know people and make friends otherwise you will be bored. I would suggest joining a club or sorority/fraternity.

12. What's unique about your campus?

the schools we do volujnteer work in

13. What kind of person should attend this school?

An individual who is seeking an affordable quality education in a comfortable safe environment. An individual who is seeking to excel in the areas of business, arts, or science would feel quite at home at the West Liberty setting. The university offers great programs in all of these areas of study thus it would make an excellent study location for individuals seeking this type of education.

Student Body

Student Organizations

Fraternities

Sororities

Housing

of students living on campus

Student Diversity

% American Indian/Alaskan Native
N/A
% Asian/Pacific Islander
% Black or African-American
% Hispanic/Latino
% White or Caucasian

TUITION & AID

All students must apply yearly for financial aid. This process starts with the FAFSA. Though financial aid deadlines vary by school, it is a good idea to apply as soon as possible. For the upcoming school year, you can apply as early as October 1 for the FAFSA. Additional school aid will be dependent on the FAFSA results.

96% of students attending West Liberty University receive some sort of financial aid. 46% were awarded federal grants. While 70% received federal loans. Many students do also need to apply for additional private student loans.

Cost Out of State

$14,394

Tuition and fees(Out of state)

$1,646

Books and Supplies

$9,120

Room and Board

25,160

Total On Campus

Actual Cost By Income Level(W/Financial Aid)

Family Income
$16,152
$110K & UP
$17,110

FIND SCHOLARSHIPS

Find your perfect match from over 3 million scholarships!

CAN YOU GET INTO West Liberty University?

Complete your profile to see if this school is a fit for you, and what your chances of admitance are.