West Liberty University Top Questions

Sadie

High school was a complicated time in the manner of growing up. As a teen, it's a tendency to believe that you are already grown and that you have a wealth of knowledge beyond your years. If only I knew then, what I know now. If I could speak to the high school version of myself, I would first explain the importance of time. I would tell myself not to take advantage of the lack of difficulty I had with schoolwork as a high school student. It was so easy to maintain a 4.0GPA, play soccer, cheer and compete, work part time and participate in theatre- all with enough time to spare to have a perfect social life. College does not allow such amounts of time. You have to spend numerous hours outside of the classroom studying in order to maintain the same good grades that were once obtained without lifting a finger. Second, I would tell myself how important it is to appreciate the hard work you do in college; to appreciate myself. If you do not appreciate yourself, you will resent the time spent doing the work. Appreciate the work; appreciate the life you're creating.

I

salena

If I were able to talk to myself as a high school student I would tell myself that I need to stand up for myself better and not let people get to me. I would also tell myself that I need to learn how to study and always talk to my professors when I need help. I think that I would tell myself that even though I live five minutes away from school with no traffic that I should try to live on campus where I would have more quit to study.

Detrone

I would approach myself with a smile and a handshake. Advising me of what the future will be like after I have attended college for my first year. I would advise myself not to give up on my first intended goal. This life style of partying and fraternities will always be there. I would tell the high school senior who thought he knew it all, that after experiencing love, loss of life and success, I have realized that life will still go on. While we are here on this earth, we have to make the best of it. A good college education is just the start. You will evolve in life to becoming a better person through college and life experience. No matter what happens, do not fall short of your goals. If you hit a bump in the road or fall down, get back up and dust yourself off. No one has said you have to quit once you stumble. Be humble in your approach and accept the gift of education. Learning is a gift that keeps on giving even after college. Learn to grow in life as your mind learns to grow in college.

Melanie

Dont leave college.

Nathaniel

I have gotten independence, satisfaction and responsibility out of my college experience. Actually, all three of these intertwine with each other. I have learned indpendence by being on my own, having to make my own decisions, and handle situations myself. I have learned satisfaction in studying hard, and seeing the results of that by the very good grades that I receive. All this has helped me learn responsibility as I am responsible for myself, my work, and my grades. Attending my university has helped me obtain these three very important characteristics that are very important to shaping a young individuals life.

Juan

College not only helps one to get a degree so they can obtain a high end job, but it helps one open their eyes to the reality of the this world. When I was in H.S. I didnt take my education or other responsibilities seriously. I believe that I was going to be able to get by with no problem. Now that I'm attending college, I see now that there is so much more out there to learn and to experience. I've learned that one must attend to their responsibilities first if they are ever to get anywhere in life. From the first few months I had attending college, I have learned to value my education. In a sense I can say that I have matured because of my college experience. I have come to value what my college and my parents have to offer,because without my parents support I wouldn't have been able to go through this experience myself. So what I've gotten out of my college experience, is that life isn't all hugs and kiss. One must work hard and be responsible if they are to achieve greatness within themselves.

chelsie

I was really worried about my college choice, but I have never been happier with the decision that I have made. This college is far enough, yet close to home. Just being out on my own for 6 months has taught me alot about being responsible for myself, learning how to study and just knowing that mom and dad were not there to say you have to study. You have to grow up a lot and know yes college is a place that your now on your own, but the fact is, this is also your education something I'll be paying for for a very long time so I need to make the best choices. You really need to get yourself involved at the college, they offer all different types of activities, go to the sporting events, go to the gym and most importantly remember to set aside time for yourself and time to study. I absolutely love college life and my anxieties for the most part have disappeared.

Brigid

I would advise myself to better prepare for college by doing more extensive research on majors and colleges. I would have visited more colleges and done a couple of overnight visits in order to get a better feel of what school was right for me.

Marissa

If I could go back and give myself a pep talk about college, the key points would include: how to become independent in a short amount of time, how to better manage my time, and ways to get involved in as many ways as possible. I feel like I was so dependent on my parents before I came to school and then when I watched them drive away, I didn't know how to make it on my own. I would recommend to all high school seniors that they take the necessary means while still in high school to become more independent before reaching college. It is also imporant for college students to have fun, but more important that they put the reason that they are in school first, their academics. Organization plays a major role in this process. Knowing when things are do, what is expected of you, and how to make yourself look professional and mature can all contribute to putting academics first. The best advice that I could have given myself would be to get involved in as many things as possible. I was lucky and had tennis to help with that, but not all students will.

I would tell myself to only look at four year colleges they hold the most value in the real world. I would tell myself that it is ok to go further away from home to go to school. there may be more oppertunity. To keep in mind that although the school is not strong in the major you are considering do not rule it out you will end up changing your major and everything will work out fine. you don't have to follow in your sisters footstep you can be your own person and make you own decisions about were you want to go to school. Make sure you don't slack off you need to keep your grades higher so you will still be able to get into the college you are looking at.

As a high school senior we are full of aspirations, hopes, and nerves ony envisioning the end product and place a blind side to all other variables that impact our journey. I recommend mapping a pathway of study to examine universities that met my study goals, and financial resources. By comparing key university benefits one develops a top box selection of potential universities. Additional unviersities would have to surpass the top box for consideration. The pathway would also have a projected course plan. This sets a schedule of success that allows for the new challenges of a college student. There are many responsibilities that you have to take on from paying the bills, to setting up computer networks it?s not just limited to succeeding in class. Don?t take a heavy initial load allow time to know your strengths/weaknesses and set your own limitations as a student. Finally, give yourself time for relaxation and stress management. Keep an open mind and examine all the options. Move towards the university that best suits your financial means despite any grandiose aspirations. Take advantage of the free education available at the local level to acquire base credits that easily transfer.

Leian

Don't let your boyfriend or friends intimidate you into going to a school you don't want to attend. Do what YOU want to do...it's your life, live it how you want to.

Crystal

I would tell myself to study harder and not go for the science degree and just go automatically for the CJ degree. I would also tell myself to apply for a lot more financial aid and make finance plans for the future. I would also tell myself to not debate about joining a sorority and just do it.

Beth

If I could go back and talk to myself as a High School Student I would tell myself that the worse thing I ever do is to drop out of highschool and advise myself not to.

Make sure you visit the campus and ask a ton of questions. Try to talk to students already attending that will not give you bias opinions.

Rikkilee

Look at every college you can possibly look at, and apply to every college you can possibly apply. Go and see the college, the book alone is not nearly enough.

Calley

Find a college that fits your needs in every aspect possible.

Marcel

Everyone should find a way to go to college even if they don't know what they are going to study. More education and experience can help you better yourself as well as the rest of the world. You should prefer to go to a place you've never been before to help make you a more well rounded and happy person. Engage in things you've never done before with people you're not used to. It might be just what you were looking for and as far as the cost; I think that in this case the benefit out ways the cost. If you're going to have to pay bills the rest of your life anyway at least be happy while you're doing it.

Kylie

First and foremost, the right college has the program that interests you. It does not have to be the most highly respected in that certain field, but try to find one that is above average or a strenght of the institution. Next, figure out the type of setting in which you are comfortable. Not everyone enjoys life in a big city; the same goes for life far from the city. Finally, look at your financial situation. If you and/or your parents cannot afford the tuition and living expenses, think about your career prospects before accepting financial aid. Some careers have higher starting salaries and that should be taken into consideration. As for making the most of the college experience, RELAX! Yes, you need to study. Yes, you need to work hard. But this can be accomplished at the same time as a flourishing social life. Take this time to meet different people and try new things. You probably will not like all the new things and certainly all the new people, but some will stay with you for life. Just remember, your life does not hinge on one test, one class, or even one semester.

sara

Take time to really look at the college that you are thinking about attending. See if there is a way you could spend a night on campus and attend a class or two to really get a feel forthe campus. For students make sure you get to experience the social life but also make sure you concentrate on your school work. Theres always time for play after you getyour work done. Get in volved and have fun. Dont overload yourself with work. only take on what you can handel. If you like having free time and time to blow dont take 23 credit hours and have 2 jobs.. You will be stressed there will be times u want to quit but hang in there its all worth it in the end.

Some advice for choosing the correct college would be to look around. Check out what the college does for the major you or your child is going into and then think about the size of the college.

Emma

Visit each prospective campus, ask questions, and get serious about financial aid and scholarships early in the process.

amber

Look, look and look but never give up.

The advice I would give is to visit as many schools as they can, as early as they can. It's hard to pick the school that's right for you. The person looking for the right college should do overnight visits, especially if they know someone that attends the school already. It gives you an inside look at the school and what goes on, and helps the potential student see if that school is a good fit for them. When he or she finds the right school, they should find good, reliable friends. They should find people they can trust. Getting mixed in with the wrong group of people could lower grades, morals, etc. , and won't allow that person to be his or herself. The potential student should get involved on campus such as intermural sports, clubs, newpaper, varsity sports, theater, etc. to allow him or her to make their college experience both fun and worthwhile. If you join something you really like, you might find people just like you.