West Texas A & M University Top Questions

Work harder, branch out and try to make real friends in college because sometimes people leave and you don't want to be a loner. Also don't date Carly, she's no good for you.

While in high school, I took mostly honors and AP classes. I would tell myself that I did not have to be pushed so hard. I needed to have more of a social life. I also worked my junior and senior year and missed out on a lot of events like prom. I would have ceased the opportunity while I had it. College makes you feel old and at the end you need to have your life together, and I still do not know exactly what I want to do. Life is truly a journey, and at some point I will find my calling.

Oscar

If I could go back in time and tell myself what I know now about life in college I would tell myself to prepare for the best experience yet. Keep and open mind and be willing to step out of your comfort zone. There is a whole different world that is yet to be discovered, all you need is a positive attitude. College will test you and make you work like you never have before; but, as you begin your journey doors will open like never before and you will see that it is all worth it in the end.

phillip

I have been successful in my college endeavors thus far and as a result I would only remind myself that he should just relax, enjoy the experience and he will do fine. I would advise him to continue to remain faithful to his/my girlfriend as she is worth it despite the distance. The only warnings for my past self would be to make sure the first chemistry homework gets turned in and to be cautious during the first week's campus events as he could replicate my damaged ACL by a simple change in direction while running (though I am not sure he would listen). Lastly, I would leave him with a bike lock as ours is borrowed without permission from time to time, even without the seat. The last words he would hear would be the same as the first, "Just relax, enjoy the experience, and you will do fine."

I would tell my high school senior self to relax and enjoy my senior year. I was so stressed and worried about college I let my senior year slip right by. If I could go back and talk to myself, I would encourage myself to take personal time off from focusing on grades and college and just have "me time". I believe it is essential to have "me time" before going off to college just to have a better understanding of yourself before you are thrown into a completely different world where you become self-dependent.

Shirley

If I could ever go back I would tell myself to take those AP and Pre-AP courses because they do actually help in college and that you will get ahead by taking them. I would tell myself to push harder in my school work instead of just doing the minimum to fly by. I would also tell myself that it is okay to be smart and to not hide it from others because of the fear of being called a "nerd". I would also tell myself that no matter how much I wanted to be independent back then I would regret it once my family left to go back home. I would then tell myself to be more involved in school clubs and organizations because that is how you make friends in the real world. I would then lastly tell myself to ALWAYS trust my gut in everything I do and to not ever second guess myself because doubting oneself is a horrible thing to do.

Selina

Learn how to study, because any process that helps you learn more will be the best. Also procastination is not good at all, having to pull an all nighter for late work is pointless. Get involved with your professors, let them know about you and be sure to be on their good side. Get involved with any organizations, you make great friends that way. If your having problems with anything ask for help with a professor, or an advisor, they are always willing to help.

I would tell myself to do what I had done, but be more confident in it. I would have enjoyed my early years of college more if I hadn't been so unsure about myself and afraid of the future. Even though I got a lot out of college, I could have gotten more in terms of friends and relationships if I had known I was doing what was right, because I really did need that time to find myself and what I'm passionate about. No amount of changing what classes I took would have helped me more, because in the process I discovered who I am not, not just who I am, leading to a different me. Time paradoxes aside, I wouldn't tell myself to change anything, except to be more confident in what I am about to do, and have fun.

Michellie

If I could go back and talk to the senior me there would be a lot I would say. The first thing I would say is "I"m sorry, but you should of had better English teachers." Yes that seems odd to say but i thought i was phenomenal at writing, but in reality I was weak and i didn't know because my teachers handed me grades higher than a ninety. I ended up struggling my first semseter in college because I was taught was wrong. Second, learn to study. In high school all you had to do was memorize a worksheet for test. You need more than a review sheet to get by in college. Third, don't get "senior-itis" also known as the "i am a senior and my classes are pointless now so i might as well start my summer break now even though it is December-itis." So don't get sick! Stay focused! The last thing i would say is stay strong. Some things will be difficult, and might seem impossible to achieve. But struggle and pain is only temporary unless you quit. Everything will pay off when you accomplish your goals.

Mario

Knowing what I now, I would tell myself as a high school senior two things. I would first tell myself to take as many college credit courses as possible in high school. I would have saved a lot of money if I went that route. Another thing I would have told myself is focus on biology. I did not realize how much I loved biology until later in life. Knowing this in high school would have fast tracked me to finish college so much early than in the path I am currently on.

Clifford

If I had the grand opportunity to go back in time for this purpose alone, there would be a lot to be said to myself. First would be encouragement not to give up! Ten years from now you'll wish that you had stuck with this and graduated in time, then gone on to college! Also, make sure that when you set your mind to something, anything, don't give up on it. Trust me it's well worth it in the end. I'm the version of you ten years from now, and now in college, working full-time, and making our lives for the better. the point is that this is achievable now instead of later! Just make sure that you keep pushing forward and keep your nose to the grindstone. It may not be the greatest as of now. But believe you me, it's worth it in the end. Good luck and see you soon!

Isaac

Apply for all the scholarships you can you dolt!

Israel

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself first to look for more grants and scholarships instead of just relying on the FAFSA. Probably one of the things I would put a lot more emphasis on would be telling myself to get more involved once I got to college. I am involved but it would have hurt any by joining more organizations and clubs. This may sound funny but one of the other things I would mention would be not to be scared to take advantage of all the free food oportunities. Finally I would tell myself to relax and not worry about how supposedly hard college will be because West Texas A&M has great professors and it will be easy, fun, and one of the best experiences of my life!

Jesus

I would tell my high school self to search for more scholarships and try harder to fund my educational endeavors. Paying for my university hasnt been easy considering i come from a poor background and a single mother. I would tell myself to be more organized and to get into the habit of managing my time. College is all about organization and time management. I would tell myself that the Nursing path that we have chosen is the correct one even when I had my doubts. Nursing will allow me to help people like many random people have helped me. My mom would always tell me, "Puede mas el que quiere, Que el que puede". Which means, The person that has the want, will always be more than the person that can. I know it sounds confusing be let me explain. I grew up with nothing but with my mother and brother and my drive to succeed in this country. My mom said that "my want" or desire to succeed will always be stronger than someones who will go to college because they have someone paying for it already. My desire to better myself no one will ever take away.

Being a senior in high school can either make or break one's future. There are many decisions to make for example what colleges to apply to, what to wear to prom, and going out on Friday nights or studying. Looking back at my senior year I thought it was breeze because I didn't push myself to take those top end math or science classes. I didn't want to be away from home and I had two horses to carry with me so I went to the local junior college. Since I was the first in my family to go to college, I didn't have anyone to look up to or follow. Now having experienced two years at College of the Sequoias (Visalia, CA), I would definitely tell myself as a senior to "What do you have to lose? Being scared isn't an option and you're horses are good enough to rodeo." Although I am going to college to be a physical therapist I still would love to be involved in college rodeo. I would say to myself, "you will figure it out once you get there, but you just need to go."

Ruben

I would advice myself to be more in tune with the professors, faculty, etc. Also i would advce myself to step out of my comfort zone quicker in order to make friends and meet new people faster. The reason is when I first arrived I believed that the faculty did not care if I passed or failed that I had to do evertything on my own. However, this is not the case many of the faculty care and are very enthusiastic about helping me find aid. Whether it be through money or academics. The second reason I believe I should have stepped out of my comfort zone is so that I could cease more opportunities that had beeen offered to me that I turned down because I was not comfortable in Studying abroad or other such things. On top of that I met mant great people through the university and if I had acquired there contact info they would have made great mentors and refrences. As a result I do regret not being comfortable with staying in touch with them. However, I would always tell myself as a highschool senior to attend WTAMU.

Guillermo

I had always heard teachers say that the transition from high school to college is very hard and know that I have experienced that I have to agree. When students start college in my opinion is like starting a new life, because you don’t know anybody, and you are there by yourself, you have to make new friends and meet new people, and you have to adapt to different cultures and surroundings. All these things that I have mention are the things that I went through whenever I started college, and to make things worse I am a first generation student, that means I had anybody in my family that had attended college before so I didn’t know anything about moving into college. However now that I know about the transition and college life and if I could go back to my senior year the advice that I would give myself is to always apply for things the earliest you can because I have learned that people who apply early to things such as scholarships and housing they are the ones that get the most money or the better dorms.

Luis

Carlos! Dont waste your first semester in your dorm room! Go out, make friends, get involved, have fun!!

Quentin

I would advise myself to slow down and take the idea of college serious. At 17 there is a lot you don't know about life and the world no matter how mature you feel you are. The most important message I would convey to my high school senior self would be... Nobody is going to totally honest with you and tell you the decisions you make now at 17 can affect how the rest of your life turns out. Student loans and bills are immenient, make sound decisions and do not over extend yourself financially. It would be really smart to start looking for different scholarship opportunites right now because it will make all the difference once you arrive on campus in August. Last and most important, when you get to campus remember that you are there to take of business and graduate. Don't party too hard because its hard to make it to class Thursday and Friday mornings after going to college night at bars. Make sure to enjoy the great new opportunities and people that will come into your life.

Dominique

I would research more about the college life and scholarships. I will build better study habits and learn how to use time management skills.

McKenzie

Getting a second chance....wouldn't that be nice? If only I had the chance to go back and time and prepare myself for what I wasn't expecting in my first year of college!

I believe college can make or break you. Throughout my junior and senior year my parents did not push me as much as I wished they did. I look at some of my girlfriends and they have gone so far and continue to pursue master degrees, phd, etc. I envy them. I am a hard worker, but I believe I am a harder worker outside of college, in which case I wish i wasn't. I waitress almost everyday (in the summer), except during school. SAT's are a vital component in entrance to college. If I could go back to my senior year, I would retake my SAT's in a heart beat. I also never even looked into scholarships until recently (my third year in college!). Hearing of my friends receiving scholarshps made me determined. I wish as a high school senior I had that extra push from my parents or siblings. Receiving that college degree is so rewarding. I would tell myself you have to be ambitious, go into college with an open mind and heart. You are going to meet hundreds of people from around the state and country who may change your life.

Where to begin? You have a lot to learn buddy. You think you have it all down and figured out by now. But guess? YOU DON'T! College is not what you expect. Or what you want it to be for that matter. Working a part-time job 35 hours a week can really conflict with your school study time. So you know what you need to do? Study more than you work! Work to live. Don't live to work. Education is the most important thing. At least, it is if you want to get anywhere. You're going to make mistakes, lose and gain friends, and most importantly, you WILL discover who you were meant to be! Sure music sounds like your passion now, but guess what? You'll soon realize your passion lies somewhere else in this vast world of opportunities. Don't be afraid to make the jump. And also, don't be afraid to wait. You still have plenty of time. So enjoy your free time with your friends and many musical honor societies you are in now. Because, whether you are ready or not, your world is about to change, broaden, and rematerialize forever.

I was a concurrent student meaning I was attending college courses while in high school, so i could say take the high school classes more serious.

"Attend community college right away. Taking your first year off was a waste of time of working and moping how you do not think you are college material. YOU ARE. Help is everywhere you look you just have to not be lazy and seek it. If mom and dad is not going to help go yourself. Prove to them you will, because you can. Also, do not give up on doing what you want to do and it is okay to prove to the world that you are worth something. You are meant to be someone in this world and later on in life you will find out that you'll decide to be a Dental Hygienist. Good luck highschool me, Sincerely present day me."

If I could say anything to myself as a high school senior, I would say start as soon as you can. The sooner you get started, the sooner you finish and can start with your career. Take any classes your high school offers that give college credit, even start with taking a summer class when possible at a local college. Youll get a feel for whats expected of you in a college setting with less pressure besides the bonus of getting that degree under your belt sooner.

Shalee

Don't fret so much, just relax and trust God to help you in your studies. Do you best and leave the rest to God because you're going to do great. Drill yourself a little harder in math, and prepare a little more in chemistry.

Monika

I would say that school is worth far more than it appears. College is more focused and typically offers less drama than High School. Financial aid is available to help with the expenses. School is much easier if sequencial classes are taken in a reasonable time frame and not 10yrs apart.

Chase

I would tell myself to prepare a little more for college. Even though I graduatated at the top of my class I still wasn't prepared enough when it came to scholarships. West Texas A&M University has many scholarships that apply to everyone. It doesn't take very long to apply and you can only only benefit from scholarships. I would also tell myself study more for the ACT. The higher you get on your ACT, the higher amount of money in scholarships can be awarded. I would have studied more and taken it as many times as I could to get the highest possible score. Lastly, I would stress the importance of my high school GPA. It really does matter especially if you decide to apply for the honors program. I feel my first semester of college was a success because I got involved on campus, acquired a job and still finished the semester with a 3.4 GPA.

Since my transition from High School to College, I have learned many valuable lessons: do not slack off, know which classes are transferable, and pick your roommates wisely. After my mom passed away my sophomore year of High School, I started to slack off in school, despite knowing that I was fully capable of passing my honors classes with a 4.0; so instead, I passed with a 2.85. The first thing I would tell myself is to not slack off because time is money, and so are college units. High school courses are free and to not take advantage of free education is absurd. Also, I would tell myself to check which courses articulate with UC Berkeley, instead of wasting my time and money taking classes that don’t. On that same note, I would let myself know about the honors program that college’s offer, which greatly increases chances of transferring. The last piece of advice I would give myself would be to choose my roommates wisely. I placed myself with a roommate that had no aspirations of academic achievements. After a year and a half into my college education, I finally have my head on straight.

Bailey

If I could go back in time and give myself advice about college and the transition into college life, the first thing I would tell myself would be to spend more time with my family my senior year. Everything flies by so fast once you start your last year of high school that you miss things that you wouldnt think are important. I am so busy now that I do not get to see my family much, so spending time with them would be my first piece of advice. Second, I would tell myself to take online college statistics since it was offered for free through my high school that year. That class is killing me this semester and I seriously regret not taking it back then. Lastly, I would tell myself to just slow down. Enjoy everything as it came instead of always looking so far ahead. You miss beautiful moments of life when you are always looking for the next big step. These three things are the most important information I can think to give myself if I had the ability to go back to my senior year of high school.

The best advice I could give myself would be to be open to new experiences and people. I would say that it helps to exchange phone numbers with at least one peer from each class, even if the class is online. You will have somebody to copy notes from if you are absent and it can be the beginning of a lifetime friendship. Also, it is important to try to understand your professor and their style of teaching. Do not be scared of your professors, they are there to help you understand all of these abstract subjects. Finally, take advantage of all the resources the school offers, especially the ones that are free. The tutors at the ACE center can be the difference between an A and a B.

There are three things I would tell my high school self if I was able to go back in time and talk to myself. The first and most important thing I would tell myself would be take advantage of all AP and dual credit opportunities that are avaliable. I realize now how helpful it would be to have already completed some college credit while still in high school. I would strongly encourage myself to enroll in these courses and take the finals and AP tests for the classes seriously and be sure to earn a high grade on them. The second thing I would tell myself would concern choosing schools. I would tell myself to visit more schools and a wider range of schools. Visting schools is the only way to get a feel for the culture you may spend the next years of life in. The final thing I would tell myself would be to not worry so much about the small things in high school. In the next years these things don't matter. These three things would have substantially helped me during my senior year of high school and planning the next few years of my life.

I need to take care of myself as well. I need to focus on what is best for me so i can help others along the way. I cant help others if im not helping others. I want to get a degree in field where i can help others and make a difference in the world.

I would advice myself to be more active in different organizations from the beggining. There are many opportunities at West Texas A&M University that are waiting to be discovered. I would tell myself to work as diligently as I have been so far and to never give up. I would also tell myself to live on campus for the entire freshman year, so I would be able to experience many more different things that go on after classes on campus.

I can not count how many times I have wished that I had easy acess to a time machine and go back in time to hit myself over the head for not putting in enough effort! I would strongly advise my younger self to be more involved within my community. I would also tell myself to not worry about every single little thing! That things will happen for reasons even if I do not understand it at the time. That even if I do not make the perfect grade that as long as I have learned what is important I can stop overanalyzing. That i need to stop for a moment every once and a while and breath and enjoy my sorrounding now and in the future. Put forth more effort in the last months and push senioritis to the side even if my best friends are slacking, that I will not have any regrets after graduation because you only have one shot to represent yourself as a highschool senior!

Lyndsey

Graduating high school at 16 years old and attending college at 17 isn't the typical route kids take. Now at 18 years old, I have gained more knowledge and life skills through the past two years of college than most kids have when they walk across the stage and receive their diploma from high school. Entering college was extremely overwhelming for me, as I took 15 hours my first semester. Deciding to go to a junior college first was probably one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. It allowed break out of my shell little by little, enabling me to gain that college experience while not getting too involved with the social aspect of it. I was invited into Phi Theta Kappa my second year, giving me more confidence to take the lessons I’ve learned and bring them with me to my future education goals of attending a four year college. College thus far has been more than valuable for me as it has given me the social skills along with academic skills to get me where I want to be in life. It has, without a doubt, been the best experience of my life.

I have learned a lot about my college experience as I continue my second semester at West Texas A&M Univeristy. Since I've started, I've learned to manage myself in a time effecient manner. Also, I have demonstrated to my peers that self-discipline is a key factor when handling your future. As of now, I express myself with pride and confidence as I take on my classes and maintain academic competiveness to succeed in every aspect of the curriculum. To survive in the college life, you have to look out for yourself and never accept the minimum as a goal. I know now that we all have a standard to follow, but what makes you is the way you exceed the standard and by how much. All of my experiences in college have been valuable to me as I continue my college studies and later on help me as I search for a career after graduation.

Southy

College has been a rough bumpy road for me. When I first attended college, I lack the motivation to persue an educational path. I've struggle through college because my lack of motivation and I had had some family/financial issues at home. The situation at home causes a strain on my education and I would make the same mistake semesters after semesters for so many years. Now being a single mother, I've realized that I can't be taking school lightly anymore because this is no longer my world, its my son's world and I'm just living in it. In order to provide a better future for him, I need to step it up. I'm so grateful that I am living in the land of opportunity and that school is always available for someone like me whenever I'm ready to come back. When you have education, you have everything! and that is what I am aiming for.

Daniela

When your in high school, college is painted as a whole different scenario. All you picture are these huge campuses with students sitting on the grass, studying and then at night there's the huge party scene. Well, it's not totally wrong there are those times where you just pick a spot on campus and read or relax until your next class. But there is a really big worry that doesn't really hit you fully until your first semester. How am I going to pay for all of this? Apart from tuition and fees, books and school supplies, you also have to think about housing, meal plans, gas, if you don't have a meal plan then you have to think about groceries. So far my college experience has been very forgiving with me. I have acquired enough income to support my way through my first semester and even have enough to go out and party every now and then. That's what I believe I have gotten out of my college experience. A great sense of reality. Things aren't easy, they're not die hard but you do have to find a way live with responsibility.

I have wonderful memories with friends, having fun with different group projects in class, and learning how to be away from my friends and family for long periods of time. I have learned academically, socially, and emotionally. I think that if I hadn't gone to this school I would never be as independent and strong as I am now.

What I have gotten out of my college experience so far would have to be the fact I have found myself. Yes, I've found myself in the first 4 months of college. I knew coming to college I would start to wonder, "who I am." I've wanted to go out of high school, start anew, and open a new door with new opportunities. These opportunites have given me the advantages of a college student in a small city of 10,000. Generally, I am such a shy person that's always in her room, watching outside the window noticing people with people. But now I am completely out of my comfort zone, and I'm doing things I have never done before. This college tests me for everything in life. College is so valuable to attend because what you gain in college, you can't gain anywhere else. In college, like I've said, you learn what you're capable of. You learn if you're able to make it in this hard world. You learn what it takes to live a life that you can't live anywhere or any place else.

Jeshaiah

In just a few months at West Texas A&M I have learned so much about Mass Communications, my chosen field. Every professor I have has a firm grasp on what they teach because they have gone out into the real world and experienced what their field is like and they do not just depend on academic knowledge. Plus, as a man from a secluded rural area of Texas, I have learned a great deal about different lifestyles, like the bits and pieces of Chinese culture that my Chinese roommate has taught me. This university gets a very diverse student pool with students being from Africa, Asia, and Latin America. All the guest speakers the students get hear is also a great eye-opener of the world, one prominant speaker being Somaly Mam. A Cambodian native actively fighting against child prostitution in her home country. So when you go to WT you not get to learn about whatever academic field you choose to study, but also the world as a whole.

The biggest thing I have gotten from my college experience is the opportunity to understand the way I think and learn, especially in relation to the way other people think and learn. I am more in-tune with myself, the way my body works, and the way my brain works. I have also been forced to meet new people and understand others in much the same way. Understanding that everyone works, learns, feels, and understands things differently is quickly becoming a cornerstone to the way I think and communicate my thoughts and ideas with others, and affects especially the way I perform and compose music as a means of expressing my ideas in a way that as many people as possible will also understand.

I went back to college at 26 and graduated at 30. It was the best experience I had. I studied abroad in Italy, learned art and learned myself. I can't wait to go back to graduate school to have the opportunities again.

Jesus

If I could go back and change one thing and one thing only as a high school senior I would say I would love to have been more organized. I have discovered that organization is the single most important asset one can have is precisely organization and from this virtue many more will branch out. Fitting many activities, such as 18 credit hours, two jobs, practice for two hours, at least, every day, and fraternity meetings and activities into one day is very possible but only through organization. I wish I would have been more organized as a high school senior and applied for more scholarships.

If I could go back in time and tell myself something my senior year of high school, I would tell myself to take Biology AP and Anatomy & Physiology. These are my hard classes this semester and I wish I had any sort of background in them! My high school offered so many college prep courses and I wish I would have taken advantage of them. I would also tell myself to save up some money before I went to college, so I wouldn?t have to get a job. It is so hard to work part time and take a full load of classes while maintaining a 3.75 GPA! The last thing I would tell myself is to prepare for the most fun you?ll ever have. I would say, ?College is a huge step up from living with your parents. Make the most of it and be responsible with your new freedom.?

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, while knowing what I know now, I would tell myself to be a little bit more open to change. I was so against moving into the on-campus housing that I fought tooth and nail against my mother about the topic, even though, in the end, she won and I ended up in the dorms. But now that I have lived in the dorms since August, I am glad that I did move in and (gradually) accepted the change. I would have missed out on alot by living at home and commuting every day. I'm glad I had that extra push, even though I feel quity still for being so inconsiderate to my mother, seeing as her advice and kind words then are what make me happy now.

If I could go back in time and have a conversation with myself about college life and the choices I made that impacted my current future, I would tell myself to attend a community college to gain credits before going off to West Texas A&M. That way I could be ahead of the game, and spend less money on credits. I would tell myself to apply for more scholarships, and get a summer job to help pay for my expenses that have caused troubles for my parents. I would tell myself to work hard during my senior year and strive for the best grades possible in my dual credit, and regular high school classes. All these changes would make my future much easier on myself and my parents.

Temitayo

Well Tayo, let me just say it is true what your teachers are telling you it is all about. No one "baby's you" in college. You actually have to do stuff for yourself. When your in college you set your hours to go to class, you have to deal with making sure your tuition is payed on time, amongst other things. Some major differences i can tell you from high school to college, paying for your textbooks. Yes you have to purchase your textbooks which can add up to hundreds of dollars. Waking up by yourself to, might be an issue, your dad cant be there to wake you up anymore. It will soon be your responsibility to go to class on time. Bottom line Tayo is that there is no more room for Procrastination. Your professors will expect more from you, and you must meet their standards. Don't stress too much their are falculty that will help you, not lead you, but help you reach whatever goal you set for your academic career.