West Virginia Wesleyan College Top Questions

Tylre

If I could go back to the fellow who walked out of CCHS in 2009, I would ask him to slow down, because the urgency he chases wealth with isn’t his secret to happiness. I would tell him our high school sweetheart ends up being just a memory, but our family is still always there for us. Next year’s friends are the ones that last, so forget all the haters we had; they’re believers now. Don’t stop dreaming, because you really are capable of achieving anything; we’re doing it now. We love the college environment; academia is our obsession. Just remember to take it all seriously in the classroom; in other words, show up to class! Oh, and go Greek, not for the parties or the girls, but for the friendships and a second home. Those guys will always have your back (Alpha Sigs for life)! Finally, close your eyes with me for just a second. You feel that faith and passion in your heart? Let them burn brightly in everything you do, because we are our best when we stay true to ourselves. Oh and dude . . . I love you.

I would tell myself to take the AP Calculus class to get ahead a little more. I would also tell myself to be prepared for some of the best times of my life and to be confident. I would meet new friends and excel in most of my classes. Overall, I would not really be telling myself anything I didn't already hope for in high school, rather things that would help encourage me.

If i were to give myself advice if i was a high school senior i would tell myself to learn how more about time management, different ways to study, and how to make sure your social life doesnt get in the way of your academic life. Also make sure you are a well rounded person to get along with your roommates. They can come from any where in the world and being open to their values can open up new friendships that may last a life time. One more thing dont be afriad to raise your hand and ask questions in class or after class. Professors are there for a reason to help you learn so dont be shy stand out and let them know you are here to learn.

TIMOTHY

College is a great opportunity to learn about yourself and how to manage your independence. Time management and learnng a balance between studying, althletic commitments, and personal time can be overwhelming . Your major focus should be on your academic studies and getting your work done in a timely fashion. Study groups are always helpful and if you fall behind make sure you seek additional help. Most school have tuitors and work shops. If you are an athlete, you are responsible to make sure that you keep eligible by keeping your grades acceptable. College roommates can be a challenge especially if you have never shared a room with anyone. Just remember that we all have different likes /dislikes and habits. Be flexible and accept the differences in others. Laugh a lot.

Lyndsey

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would advise myself to apply myself as a college student-- not to lay back and take it easy first semester. I'd also tell me that "A man is the company he keeps." But the biggest piece of advice would be to take time to discover what I want to do-- don't rush into a major because chances are, you'll change it.

Kelley

I would tell myself not to worry so much about making a lot of friends. It is better to find close friends that you will be able to count on for more than a year. I would also tell myself to work hard in all my classes, even in the classes not important to my major. Those classes are still important to gain knowledge and experience. I would tell myself not to join a sorority; it takes too much time away from studies and makes it hard to hang out a lot with others not in it. The biggest advice is just to always work hard and take every academic opportunity offered, because it will greatly aid in being accepted into graduate school or getting a good job in your field.

Haven

I have gotten a great sense of belonging and achievement from WVWC and I'm very confident that I made the right decisin to come here. It is a great atmosphere, and the professors are all very friendly and strive to be on a first name basis with all of theri students. The campus is small, but it is very tied to the surrouding community and they school and community work well hand in hand. It has been a valuable experience for me because I have realized what it is like to belong to a community so close and what it is like to need help and receive it without too much trouble.

The only aspect of college life that has been valuable to me is obtaining a college degree. I know this is of utmost importance, however I had wished I would have considered other dimensions. To further clarify, college is where an individual spends most of their time and essentially lives there. It is best for the campus and surrounding area to have activities that cater to young adults. However, there are limited campus activities. The food is quite atrocious. The dormitory facilities are subpar and archaic. Although I am receiving substantial financial aid, I still feel as if the price tag is entirely too high. I truly would love to see a report of all their finances because I fail to see where they spend our money. The student body is also too small and the retention rate is considerably low for freshmen. Buckhannon is not particularly a college town. Most businesses close early and there are virtually no recreational activities to do during the day. Quite frankly, it has been too slow and boring for my liking.

At WVWC, I have found like-minded people, but I've also realized the reasons why I am an individual. After attending elementary through high school with the same people, I've gotten the chance to explore a distant and different community. Not only have I learned a lot about my craft, I have had the freedom to explore art, artists and genres that I've never been prompted to go and discover. I have a more specific idea of what I want my future career and otherwise extrinsic goals to look like. I have done a lot of growing and, moreover, expanding. I feel my interactions with the small WVWC is a gage on how I will treat others around me and how I will handle situations for the rest of my life. As for my training and practice as an artist, I find others in my program are learning how to become an artist- I already am an artist. So, individually, I am, with the help of professors and students, honing my skills and creativity for a tres nouveu and fresh look at design.

I have gotten tons out of my college experience. I have learned a great deal about time management, and I have also learned to become more optimistic and outgoing. Just the experience of having the ability to develop great friendships with my professors made me realize how valuable it was to attend a small private school. It has taught me how to be my own person and to not care as much about trying to make other people like me. This experience ultimatly has taught me who I really am and to not be afraid to show it to the world.

If I could go back and time and give my former self advice about college life here is what I would tell myself: ?Try and take as many college classes as you can now, they will help you significantly in the future.? I had the opportunity to earn twelve credit hours (four classes) at the same college I?ve been attending since 2007 as a high school senior. Because I had the experience of a college environment under my belt, I was able to succeed early-on in my first semester when I made the Dean?s List with an overall GPA for that semester of 3.8. My overall GPA did suffer because I earned two C?s as a high school senior, but the experience I gained from those classes was invaluable. Until you actually take a college class or two, there?s no other way of preparing yourself for the environment of it. You simply have to do it; no amount of high school classes touches the level of intellect and also the level of learning that can be accomplished in college if you?re well-driven and have a good head on your shoulders!

In hindsight, there are several things that i see would have helped me in adjusting to college life. For one, the food. I would have made sure that I was used to less appetizing foods. But despite all that i could have prepared myself for, if I got the opportunity to go back and give myself advice, i would not take it. I believe that everything happens for a reason. If i had been better prepared then i would not have gained knowledge from the valuable experiences that i have had. For example, if i would have known that my roommate would be a bit talkative, i would not have learned how to deal with someone with a more chatty personality. Also, if i would have been aware of the lack of heat in the dorm rooms, i would not have learned how to be resourceful in desperate times. The experiences that i have been through in college have taught me more than i could have imagined; more than mother could have told, and more than a text book could have shown. I would not be who and where i am today had i not gone through what i have.

Hello Senior year Ashley. I'm you from the future and I am here to give you some advise before you head into you college years. You are doing a great job so far, you work hard and stay focused on your studies and have really learned the importance of time management. Juggling swimming, dance, extra cirriucular activies, and keeping a 4.0 is going to help you so much in those first few years of college. I'm here to tell you not to forget everything you have learned. Keep using those time management skills, they are the key to your success in college. With swimming on a D2 varsity swim team and working on getting your BSN, free time is going to be hard to find if you don't get your work done when it is assigned. Ultimatly what I'm here to say is keep up the good work and when you get to school don't forget the person you are. Be an individual, stand up for what you believe in, and work hard at everything you do. If you do all of this you will succeed in your social and academic life.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would give myself one important piece of advice. I would tell my self to stop worrying about what other people think. I know that this sounds very cliche and a little vague, but that is the most important advice I could give a high school senior getting ready to enter college. I know that my first semester of college, I was so wrapped up in and concerned over what the other people thought of me that I missed out on a lot of great opportunities. Had I taken the time to realize that everyone else was feeling the same way and so focused on their own lives, I would have enjoyed that semester a lot more. I would tell all high school seniors that no matter how it seems, nobody is staring at you, I promise. Forget about what everyone else might think, and enjoy college to the fullest. Take every opportunity that is thrown your way, because they might not come by twice.

If I could go back and talk to myself in high school I would tell myself that the next few years of your life are going to be hard, exciting, and challenging. But dont give up on the dreams you have now, and keep those dreams close to you. Because when you come to college you will be challenged, tested, and critized. But because you are challenged you will become a stronger person and a mentally tougher individual. And college will instill in you, a work ethic, and sense of pride in yourself. So prepare yourself now to FAIL and FALL. But train your mind and body to get back up and keep running down that dream. God Bless and Good Luck in the future.

As a high school senior, I was extremely nervous about beginning my college career. I dreaded the idea of dormitories and cafeterias! I feared that the classes would be too difficult! Most of all, I feared that I would have no social life... When I arrived at college I DID find that both the dorm rooms and cafeteria food were poor; however, I soon realized that the people in those dorm rooms and that cafeteria were one of the greatest things that ever happened to me and would soon become my best friends. I also found college classes to be more engaging than that of high school; although I did have to work harder, I was finally beyond "busy work." Additionally, I quickly learned how to balance both an academic and social life, something I once thought to be impossible. Although college has its cons, the perks outweigh them. If bad cafeteria food is the price of obtaining great friends and immense knowledge, I'll pay! If I could give my high school self advice, it would be "BREATH GIRL! JUST CALM DOWN!! You'll be just FINE!"

Joanna

Study study study and no party party party

Stay home , attend the community college and take core electives needed at ALL colleges , work and SAVE money. And figure out exact what career path I want to take in life.

Start taking the ACT/SAT tests sooner!

I would have myself calm down about the decision alot. Things always seem to work out as best as they should. Don't worry so much about having a set life plan, that could just mess you up down the road. Learn better study strategies before college, and try to take a harder chemisty class!

For parents I would say let the decision be your childs. If you pressure them too much then they're not going to be happy where they're at and most likely won't do well. However ask your child, first what kind of career they want and then select schools offering that degree. Visiting the college can either make it or break it. I think that's the most important thing to do if your seriously considering a school. Once you've been excepted to a school and you move in and get aqquianted with your suuroundings, don't be shy, other kids who've moved in are just as scarred as you, because it is scarry. Make yourself known, join something, greek life, clubs, theatre, orchestra whatever you want to do. Joining an organization gives you security and friends for life.

It will just feel right. The people will be friendly and like a close knit family.

The most important thing is to look at finances last. Once you find a college that you love, the money will take care of itself. There are thousands of scholarships; you just need to know where to find them. Become friends with your high school guidance counselor and your college admission counselors; they know where to find money for college. Do not make decisions based on a boyfriend or girlfriend, and don't go home every weekend. Get to know your college or university; join lots of organizations and volunteer in the community. The best way to find your worth at a college is to help those in that community. The most important part is to get to know your faculty and staff. Stop by offices, say hello to the custodians, and, parents, call and chat with the Dean of Students from time to time. If you're at a school like West Virginia Wesleyan, you'll soon learn that a college is a large network of wonderful people that can help you accomplish anything you can dream.

To parents, don't place so much emphasis on affording a college. If your child truly wants to attend a college you think is out of your budget, simply look into how much financial aid that college will give. Chances are, with finacial aid and academic scholarships your child has earned (provided that he/she has done well academically and has many scholarship options), the college will be affordable to you, and your child will have a great education and many friends who will stick around for life. To students, follow your dreams. Don't ever decide on a career path because you think it is "practical" or because it is lucrative. Choose it because you want to follow it for the rest of your life. The last thing you want is to have a career that gives you a large amount of money and a high social status, but is unsatisfying and makes you unhappy. If you don't love it, don't pursue it.

Go where you feel comfortable. Don't choose a school just because of the name or because your parents/relatives went there. Going to college is about finding yourself, and the best way to do that is to step out of the shadows of those who came before you. Go to a school that will make you happy. Once you find that school, make the most of it. Make friends! Live in dorms at least once, you might like it. Go out and do things! Go to advents on campus, even if it's something you wouldn't normally do. But at the same time make sure you keep up with your studies. Make friends with people in your classes and have study parties. Talk to your professors, you'll need them if you try to go to grad school. But most of all, just have fun! This is something you might never get to do again.

You have to find something that feels right. If it doesn't feel right, the school is not for you. You'll know if its your school the moment you walk on campus and feel at home.