Western Carolina University Top Questions

There is nothing that really surprised me about WCU. I learned a lot of new things about it but nothing that I did not like. I am pleased with the entire school program and am proud of my decision to become a Catamount. Western Carolina University does not harbor any secrets and is very straight-forward with any information, so it is not surprising that I did not learn anything I truly disliked after coming to this school.

Brandy

Before coming to Western Carolina University, I wish I would have known that they were switching the Special Education Program. Western no longer offers Special Education General Curriculum K-12. Western now only offers the Inclusive Education Program which is Special Education K-6. I am currently majoring in Inclusive Education but would love to have been able to teach middle and high school special education.

Ethan

Nothing. College life is great. Each new experience is welcomed.

Lilyan

That you are going to make a lot of really great friends in college but you're also going to lose them.

Beth

I wish that I had known just how small this school was and just how small my program was. I don't regret comming to this university and I would not change it for the world. I wish that I was introduced to a student who was part of my program before I started school. I uprooted myself from home and chose to move accross the country to attend school. If I could go back I would tell myself that it was going to be hard not knowing anyone and to try to make friends.

I feel like I came in knowing what I should know. Everyone has lessons to learn when going to college; it's all about finding and learning about yourself.

Patricia

I wish I would have known more about the school spirit. As much as I love Western, the school spirit is a little bit low and I don't know how they can fix it.

Before coming to this school I wish I would have known how much percipitation we recieve. Other than the weather Western Carolina University is a exciting place to be.

I wish I would have known before I came to Western that it would be such an amazing experience. I was so nervous about coming here and all my worrying turned out to be unnecessary. All of my teachershave been so nice and most of them take the time to learn your name and make you feel like somebody. I'm really glad that I made the choice to come here.

Anyssa

I wish I would have know that the schools language courses only offered up to level 2 of learning

Joel

There is really nothing that I wish to have known. I came to this school through a summer program called the Academic Success Program. This helped me get ahead and learn how to transition to college before any actual semesters started and I also was able to get used to school work at the college level. Other than learning how to transition to college I was mostly prepared to come to college.

Virginia

Before coming to school I wish I had known what to pack. Yes, I brought the typical clothes, towels and everything you use at your house. However I did not realize how many hooks I would need. I bought about 10 before coming, however I need about 50 more. Another thing that I really needed was organizers. With such limited space, you need desk organizers, crates for books and various items, and plastic shelves, along with closet shoe organizer. I bought over a hundred dollars in these types of organizers.

I wish that I knew how bad the parking situation is. Relatively speaking, I suppose it isn't so bad; but, the University should really build a parking deck, build a parking lot across the highway and make freshmen park there, or do something to ease the parking problem.

Sure you're going to be sad to leave your friends at home, but what you can't even imagine is how close you'll become to the people here in a short amount of time. In the Conservatory of Theatre Arts, you'll be with these people for 4 solid years--you'll go through everything from class to hating class, to projects till 3AM to partying it up after a long week. They will become your family, so don't even worry about what you're leaving behind.

Ashton

That there is not a lot of off campus activities.

Alissa

I wish I had anticipated more about the ratio of instate students to out-of-state students. I knew that a large amount of the student body was instate but it has been a lot harder for me to make friends from being out-of-state as compared to the instate students attending.

Before coming to school, I would encourage students to learn how to manage their time. It is very important to get in the habi of using an organizer, such as a planner or calendar, so that all important events and assignments can be written down. In addition, money management is also something that students need to begin paying attention to before they go off to college. It will be very beneficial to oneself if they know how much can be spent on necessities and how much is available for them to spend freely.

marvin

I wish some one would have told me how awesome Western is...I would have came here sooner!!!

I wish that I had believed other people when they said that you have to work much harder to get good grades in college than you do in high school.

There not really nothing that i wish i would have known about the school.

Talia

I wish I had know more people. I know a lot of people now but I wish i had gotten out more and experienced a good social life.

Whitley

The campus is located practically in the middle of nowhere.

Larry

Two things I wish I would have known before coming to Western Carolina University is the amount of black students that went to this university as well as the lack of activities for students off campus.

That there wasnt really much to do in the surrounding area

Stacy

i wish i had known how to study better and manage my time better.

Angie

I wish I had known about the lack of things to do on and off campus