Western Carolina University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Western Carolina University

MJ

As an undergraduate alumnus to return to Western Carolina University to complete my American history MA program, I cannot express how amazing the school is. I can only speak to my experiences in the departments I have worked and attended classes with. However, the faculty and staff at Western Carolina University are genuinely supportive and amazing to students. For example, in the history department, many professors have open office hours and are flexible with students who need appointments outside of their office hours to discuss and support various inquiries and project meetings to ensure student success in their classes. Furthermore, many of these support faculty and staff, such as those in the financial aid offices and disability offices, are fantastic at working with students. Many of my fellow classmates, from my undergraduate and graduate experiences, have been truly amazing historians and educators who never made me feel inferior or lesser than as an openly queer individual. There is a little diversity to speak of, but Western Carolina University offers a safe and open environment for many diverse peoples on its campus, and is truly a fantastic university that is worth attending!

ariana

Everyone is willing to help you if you have a question about anythings and there is so many resources you can get help from such as safety, academic, or well being reasons. There are many ways to make friends such as joining clubs or even in your classes.

Cierra

When I visited Western Carolina University back in November of 2020, I thought that the campus was beautiful. Ever student that I had talked to along the way of my tour was extremely nice and they were able to answer all of questions. I think Western Carolina University would be a great, smaller school to go to especially if you are from a small town like I am.

Isis

I have been dreaming of attending Western Carolina for the past 3 years. I love the location (the mountains is such a beautiful place). I am in love with the opportunities and involvement I can have on campus. It is just my dream school in every aspect you could think of. I am so happy to be attending in the Spring of 2021 ^ this was my comment last year before I attended Western. I'm here now to say that yes it still is my dream school, the financial break you get from going here is nice too. I didn't realize that there wouldn't be much to do off-campus. Of course, if you're very outgoing and athletic you may thrive here. But for someone who has trouble making friends and joining groups, it feels kind of isolating.

Western Caroline University cares about its students. Overall, I think there is always more that can be done to better the lives of those who live on-campus, but I love it. My program is amazing and full of enthusiastic and helpful professors. Some of the offices on campus can be a little impersonal, but that's something that can be overlooked. If I had to go back and choose my undergraduate home, I would still choose Western.

An amazing, small college that is very underrated. Everyone there is eager to learn, happy to be there, and ready for life. The people who truly belong there are all connected to one another, making friends like it's second nature. The teachers are all laidback and happy to help.

Kathleen

Overall, I have had a positive experience at Western. The faculty and staff are all very nice. I have enjoyed my academic life with kind professors and small class sizes. The campus is beautiful and there are a lot of options for individuals to participate in campus activities. Our football team is not that great, but our marching band is amazing. The location is in the middle of small towns, but the scenery is jaw-dropping.

Zoe

Western is a great college, however its in the worst spot. The closest town is an hour away and its a very right winged place where I have seen transphobic, sexist, and racist remarks and actions. This college is amazing for getting a scene of the outdoors and that is what drew me to WCU; though im leaving after my first semester because of the people and town. If you do not have a car on campus, or a friend who has a car you will easily feel trapped after two weeks only on campus. The people here lack diversity and most are from small towns in North Carolina or the states surrounding. If a small college scene away from people, this is the place for you. Myself being a gay liberal vegan activist from Chicago, rethink this place for your small town get-away.

Josh

Western Carolina is a very small and large school all at the same time. Western Carolina has a smaller class size than most state universities in North Carolina, but it offers much more than any other university around. Western Carolina is located in the mountains which causes the university to offer many ways for the students to stay fit and adventure. The mountains are a very beautiful place, which bring out the shine to my university. There are not many places to go outside of the campus to have a fun time, but that is also how people are able to be brought closer together. The university really knows how to break the awkward barrier between their students and make everyone act as one big family. I love my university and what "Whee" in Cullowhee, NC represent.

Mikayla

There Are many many food options for students to choose from, there are also many different things for students to get involved in. It is a very well maintained campus along with security. You do not have to worry about people coming onto campus that are not supposed to be on campus and staying on campus.

Selena

Western Carolina University is honestly an amazing college. The campus is beautiful and so are the surroundings of the campus. Most of the people are nice and helpful. There is partying on the weekend, but what college doesn't have parties? Overall I am glad that I have chosen to come here.

Western is a beautiful campus with great views of the mountains and wonderful activities to always participate in. The diversity on the campus is amazing. There is always something exciting to do on campus and there are amazing clubs and groups on campus.

Western is a wonderful place to be! I came here from the east coast and I have nothing but love for my school! Our marching band is phenomenal, and dare I say the BADDEST BAND IN THE LAND! It's a beautiful campus with everything on campus in a walkable distance. Each and every student here is valued and we are a well knit community. Friends are to be found and memories are to be made! This is my home away from home and I wouldn't trade it for the world. GO CATS!

Landon

Western Carolina is a world class, service oriented institution with a staff that truly cares for the well being of its student body and encourages that they are involved on and off campus. Not a day goes by that I do not hear of an opportunity to engage myself in organizations that serve the surrounding community. This is something that I find special to WCU, and is something I greatly appreciate. Faculty stress that learning is not something to be contained in the classroom, but to be shared and practiced outside of the classroom. Faculty stress that it is our job as educated individuals to immerse ourselves in the community and, with the skills with which we have been equipped, to make a difference. Aside from this, Western Carolina has a breathtaking campus nestled in the Appalachians and provides a myriad of opportunities for adventure. The student body is a little over 11,000 which is big enough to feel like a university but, at the same time, still feels like a family. Western Carolina University is a family that I am proud to be a part of and a place that I am equally as proud to call home.

Erin

My overall opinion on Western Carolina University is that it can do with some improvements, but ultimately it is a great school. Though the normal freshman housing is pretty hit or miss, there are other options of dorms that are much better, though you will have to qualify for honors or pay a lot of money to get into.

Zechariah

I love the school but there is violence, drugs, alcohol, fraternity on fraternity fights, etc... just like all schools. Each time there is a game there are thousands of underage students drinking while campus police walk right by, there are students who do drugs in their dorms, each school is like this but you can't get weed for $8/Gram at any other school :'D

Makayla

I love the campus! I came here when I was still in high school and fell in love with the environment, people, and culture. The only downfall is that campus food is not the best, and there isn't a lot to do in the town nearby. If you want to have a real good time you have to go to Asheville.

Brinley

I have been a Western for two semesters now and I absolutely enjoy it here. The campus is beautiful in the mountains, and the professors are wonderful. The college is a medium sized college that wants to help you succeed. The class size is usually around 30 people which is very small and even equal to high school classes. The professors know you by name and there is plently of stuff to do around campus. From concerts to movies showing every weekend. The campus is the right mix of mountain and urban.

Kiana

The Department of History at Western Carolina is phenomenal! Every professor that I have came in contact with has been astonishingly approachable, willing to help, and available for any questions. Although being in this major calls for a lot of patience and time, I have never regretted changing my major. Majority of the faculty in other departments has proven to be the same. Overall, the staffing at WCU is superb. However, I cannot say the same for other areas. The food is absolutely disgusting. I have had a friend get severe food poisoning from being served recalled lettuce and under cooked chicken. The staff at this particular restaurant knowingly served this. Another person had been diagnosed with intestinal worms. I was diagnosed with mononucleosis. I have been served food that has been thrown together sloppily, uncooked, hardly cooked, or simply revolting. I eat at five locations on campus but primarily, my food has been bought and cooked by my own hands. On campus housing could be updated. Parking is atrocious. Parking spots are far and few between and people will fight over them. Since they steadily decrease the amount of parking for students, it is bound to get even more difficult. The area that surrounds this institution is not an area for young adults. You have to travel thirty minutes or longer to find places of entertainment, great food, and even basics. It is extremely frustrating and wastes time and money on unnecessary traveling.

Amberly

I think that Western is a wonderful university, and it is one of the more affordable options in North Carolina. It is located right in the middle of Appalachia, where the mountains are beautiful year-round. The weather is perfect most days, but when it's not, there are umbrellas everywhere. The staff and faculty are always so kind and understanding. If a student has a question, they will take the time to answer it, if not in class, then during their office hours or through email. All of the students that I have met have been very welcoming and inclusive. As a freshman who just moved six hours from home, it has been a blessing to feel at home here at WCU. One of the best things about this college is that everyone takes pride in their school. We are all catamounts and there is such a feeling of unity all across campus. Even when there were political disputes this election season, everyone remained united and friendly. I absolutely love it here, and would not want to be going anywhere else to receive such an amazing education! I was even fortunate enough to be eligible for the dual-degree program for my majors. The faculty really help you set your sights on where you want to be when you walk across the stage in four years.

jordan

I have been at Western Carolina University for a year now and I couldn't have asked for a better school. Its a smaller community which means smaller class sizes usually. The food is always hot though usually in need of seasoning. Above all the teachers care about how and where you are going in life.

Western Carolina University has been a quiet campus for studying and there are plenty of outdoor activities to refresh your mind after a hard week of classes. In April of 2017, WCU won Blue Ridge Outdoor's "Top Adventure College" award for the fourth year in a row due to the many hiking, camping, kayaking, snow and water sports available in the area. WCU's Base Camp Cullowhee provides many discounted opportunities for students to go as a group to enjoy the outdoor sports and meet new friends. The class sizes are small and the dedicated teachers make themselves available to answer questions outside of class. Many of the teachers will go out of their way to help students prepare for future career goals and there are many on campus events to help with interview and career preparations. Housing and parking are the main downsides to the WCU experience. There are many new developments in progress to rectify both of these matters though. I have spoken to family and friends going to other universities and it seems that these issues are ubiquitous to every college experience. In fact, WCU seems to have fewer issues than many large universities and the smaller campus offers many benefits.

albert

I think WCU is a good school that has a lot of potential, and I feel that this university will be incredible in the future if they continue to grow and advance. The majority of the academic facilities need to be upgraded and parking on campus for commuters and on campus residents is a nightmare. The education that you can receive here is a saving grace for this university, for as secluded as WCU is the education I have received is just as good as the private university that I transferred from to come here and the amount of knowledge that I have been able obtain from my professors is substantial.

Etta

Western is a great place to come if you love the outdoors and or don't mind a 45 minute ride to get somewhere with lots of options. The liberal study classes are very easy if you were successful in High-School. The people are very welcoming and there is a huge variety of clubs and people in general. If you love the outdoors, this is a great school for you!

Aislinn

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! I visit all the time and the people there are so great! It made me apply! Very intelligent people even at parties and social gatherings. The greek life is great. The cafeteria food is good but their is so many other options to choose from. The campus is just beautiful! All in all I love Western Carolina!!

Kalliope

Overall I have fallen in love with Western Carolina University. My class sizes are small, so I get the classes I want. I can meet with my academic advisers or health care professionals on campus whenever I feel necessary. I know that I am cared for by fellow staff and other members and I feel extremely lucky to be here

Fallon

As a whole Western Carolina is an amazing school especially for students that are a little hesitant to move away from home. WCU has a beautiful campus with many clubs, intermural sports, and sporting activities. WCU is in a small town though and to be a D1 school is fairly small, therefore activities can be limited and the party scene is not huge. WCU does offer many outdoor opportunities such as skiing, snowboarding, hiking, rafting, etc. I personally love Western the community is well-knit, the staff and faculty take a true interest in their students, and students opinions are generally listened to. I would recommend WCU to all high school seniors that are looking for a four-year​ university with a wide variety of activities and volunteer opportunities.

Madelyn

I love Western Carolina. It truly is my second home. It may not be the biggest or in the biggest town, but the people there are unmatched. Everyone is kind, the faculty and staff really care, the locals are kind to us too. It is a bit of an adjustment if you come from a larger city like I did, but soon enough you begin to love the small town of Cullowhee and Sylva. I truly believe it is the people who make the experience far less than the location, and Western has the best people. The class sizes are also quite small, my largest class (so far, anyway) capped out at 40 people. Another selling point is that we have something called Advising Day, where you meet with your advisor(s) to go over the classes you picked and where you want to go with your degree. Not many other colleges, especially big schools, have that. It really is a great school and the hidden gem of the UNC system.

Kirsten

Western Carolina is an amazing school. Everyone on campus is so friendly. You are bound to pass someone you know while walking around on campus. There is a real sense of school pride as many people sport Western shirts every single day. The teachers are great and the classes are an awesome size, not too big and not too small. If you get the chance to enter the Honors College, do it! It is not hard and you get to know your peers even more! All the tools you need to succeed are there. You just need to go out, find them, and utilize them. Go Cats!!

Areti

It is a great University that offers many opportunities as well as a diverse student body. Some buildings are dated but they are making an effort to renovate and rebuild academic buildings. The surrounding area is not very populated and there is not much to do. However, the hiking opportunity is amazing! Overall, good professors and learning environment.

Sutton

Western Carolina University is a wonderful school in the mountains of North Carolina. There is a fair balance of school and extracurricular activities for anyone and everyone to get involved in. Everyone at this school is accepting of everything and everyone. The students are kind and understanding of everyone as well as the teachers. I will say I am proud to be a Catamount.

Ryan

Just completed my Freshman year in honors college. Great experience... classes are mostly small and challenging. The professors are accessible and helpful. Dorms are nice and close to classes. The food is good. Enjoyed club and intramural sports. Looking forward to the next 3 years!

Maddox

I love it. There are so many different things to be involved in.

Diana

It is a fantastic school. I have loved the atmosphere of the campus, everyone is really friendly and there to help you to their best ability. The professors are always there to help you out when needed and always seem to make sure everyone is doing good who are involved in the class.

Ivie

Western Carolina University, this campus is my home away from home. I love it here. All the people are kind, the campus is beautiful, and there is so much to do. I can't be happier that Western is the university I choose to be my extra home. I'm safe here and it is absolutely amazing.

Bekah

I love Western Carolina. I would recommend it to any high school student who is looking for an adventure. Along with the beautiful view, WCU has infinite opportunities for its students. There are so many extracurricular activities to get involved in along with getting a great education.

Lara-Rae

I love Western because they have the program I want. Plus, that they have the dance team. And don't forget the team mascot Go.................Catamounts !!! Go Paws!!!!!!

Devin

I really enjoy it and it is a beautiful campus with nice staff and students. It is nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains near many hiking trails and lakes, but because of the remote location, you are not close to many restaurants or shops. The closest larger town is Waynesvville, and beyond that is Asheville which has the majority of your stores and restaurants. Since there is not much in Cullowhee, it is hard to find work as a student.

Noah

Western Carolina University is a great school and i would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a great college experience full of opportunities to succeed. The only reason I wouldn't attend this school is if they didn't have my intended major available.

madison

I love the area, it's a college campus that helps focus on studies more than anything due to not much else being around. The class sizes are personal and professors are actually able to maintain student relationships. The campus is gorgeous and the school is continuously doing renovations to keep students on their toes.

Krista

I love Western, Its a great school all around. The professors on campus are always available and willing to help their students. The students are friendly and there are tons of clubs and organizations in which anyone can join. The food on campus is great all around. There are many places to get food and it has a great variety so there is something for everyone.

Lara-Rae

I love it !!! It is the best thing that happened to me, I love being a catamount and western carolina is my second home. It is in the mountains where you get to see the sunrise and sunset, it is just so magically. Love the campus food and housing, you can make friends easily, or just hang outside with friends. I'M PROUD TO BE A CATAMOUNT !!!!!!!!!

Garrett

Western Carolina is a close knit campus. As an only child, it is the perfect fit for me. I love the mountains that surround the campus. I am so glad that I am a student there.

Dylan

I have grown to love WCU very much, the community at the school is one to cherish. The small knit classrooms and friend groups are not for everyone but beneficial if you like that. There is never a lack of activities to do being beside the blue ridge parkway and right by the nantahala outdoor center.

Western Carolina is a very well structured school. Administration and also students help those who need it. Western Carolina made me feel very welcomed when I had open house and orientation. The food is very good, there are healthy foods for those who want to eat healthy and other decisions for those who want to try something new. There are many activities on campus that you are able to do to get involved in the community. Western Carolina University is a great school!

Maria

Beautiful campus, passionate professors and lots to do on campus to stay involved. Being located in the blue ridge mountains there is always something to do outside. in your free time you can take hikes and visit many waterfalls easily, no reason to be bored on the weekends. I will say that the campus is pretty quite on the weekends. Many are out and about or taking a drive to a nearer city such as Asheville.

McKenzie

I love Western. The food isn't always good and people smoke a lot but that doesn't take away from the scenery and activities and overall community feel that Western has. I'm in the Pride of the Mountains marching band and the School of Music and I can tel every professor or director is passionate about what they do and wants everyone to succeed. I've aso found the professors outside my major to be really nice and helpful.

Vivian

Western Carolina is a great school, I've made amazing friends, learned different things, gone to different places, and I've had fun experiences. Although Western could change a few things I wouldn't transfer to any other school before I get my four year degree.

Chris

Western Carolina University is an excellent University that prides themselves on small class sizes, outstanding professors, and community involvement. While the school is not for everyone; if you like being outdoors, waking up to a beautiful mountain view, and getting a quality education for an affordable price then Western Carolina University is the place to be.

Tiffany

I love Western Carolina University. I have found my home away from home. I love the family aspect of Western, I love the small class sizes and I also love how all the professors are available all the time. I also love the extra curricular activities that they provide. There is always something going on campus.