Western Connecticut State University Top Questions

Fatima

Dear 16yo Fatima: I know right now you are very bussy filling job aplications, scholarships aplications, and studying for finals and the CNA test. even if you are under stress please get enough sleep. enjoy it while you can because once you get into college you can only choose two out of the three options i will give you: good grades, sleep, or work. i know by fact that you will choose good grades and work. I would also like to tell you that you do not have to waste 100 dollars in the other colleges applications, you will get into WCSU and you wont regret it. Please save that money for your future books and PAY MORE ATTENTION TO YOUR MATH and ENGLISH TEACHER! trust me dear: you need to know that info. Also: do not waste your first paychecks: save them! save money as much as you can because college books are really expensive and apply to more schoolarships! you wont get all of them and you will regret it. I would like you to be less shy too. TALK and make friends so you can enjoy college life a little bit more. sinceraly, 20yo Fatima.

Tyler

College wasn’t just academic, but a total transition. In high school I forced myself to pursue future education. I knew I wasn’t ready, but pressure prevailed. I was known as an average heterosexual female, not the depressed self-starving cutter and transsexual male I was. At college I became so sick I had to move back home, transferring to a local university. I've had therapy, medication, and been hospitalized. I finally came out and transitioned. College was more than an academic change. It’s been a physical and complete life transition. I take good care of myself. I excel in school and work a part-time job. After nine-and-a-half years I’ll be graduating. I’m happy, healthy and the person I always denied. I most regret the years I wasted. If I could speak to the younger me, I would say, “Wait. Figure yourself out. Personal transition is more important than doing what everyone says. You’ll waste years of your life. You don’t have to be too proud to ask for help.” I would go back and advise myself to tell the truth, take my time and give myself a break.

Desiree

My advice would be simple. In order to save money, I would have told myself to go to a community college for two years and then go to a four year college. Everyone in high school seems to almost pressure you into living on campus to get the "experience" but to me, the experience isn't worth the debt you are bringing youself into.

Natasia

f I could go back in time and talk to myslef as a high school senior, I would tell myself to mentally prepare for my transition to adulthood. College life isnt easy the first year, but if you are prepared for the transition, then it will be easier to surivive your first year of college.

Katie

I have learned that the work one accomplishes in college directly relates to the work that he or she will accomplish in his or her career. It has been valuable to attend college because of this preperation, as well as the experience of having a strenuous work load.

Andrew

I have tried to take a variety of classes. I have declared a major (art - illustration) and have taken a lot of art classes which have developed my artisitic skills over the past few years. But I've also taken other classes that have just interested me in order to explore. Without going to college I don't think I would have had the opportunity to explore a variety of classes, some of which I've really enjoyed, others of which I've found out that I have no interest in ever taking again!

Henry

I have learned that people everywhere are generally the same. Whether it’s visiting a college campus, in the workplace, or on a busy sidewalk; people are homogenous. Everywhere there are the same attitudes and mindsets, simply reflected with multiple opinions. More importantly, almost everyone believes that they are the center of the social universe. Beginning college, I believed that people were going to be different, they were and they weren’t. Suddenly I started opening my eyes more to other social metropolises such as the aforementioned places. Once you begin exploring any center of the universe, you see what features each have and how to act accordingly. By going to college, I have begun the path to understand all of the centers of the universe and how to behave to rise among their ranks.

I would tell myself that college is a challenge and requires 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} effort. College shapes your life and career and you can't waste something that valueable. A lot of people will try to tell you that college is just like high school and you can get by on minimum effort, but they're wrong. When you graduate college, you should want to look back at your grades and accomplishments and feel proud of yourself and want to tell everyone how well you did. If you can't do this in college, then you've missed a big part of college and the ability to feel pride for your hard work. I would also tell myself that while college is difficult, it is also manageable if you are organized and manage your time well. Sometimes you just need to breathe and take it one step at a time.

Kevin

Its about the music. I could say that one sentence to myself and turn away and I would be satisfied with my messege. In my senior year, I came to a point in which I was ready to give up on my dreams of music and join the Marines. I was a signature away when my father said to wait and try one last time. My entire senior year was riddled with, do I do this, or do I do that, that I never really enjoyed it or the music. In the end, I would want to remind myself just what I'm striving to do. What I love. Through the proccess I forgot to enjoy life and stressed about things like the military and colleges. But I know now, what its really all about. To me it is music, to another it could be math, or science, but in the end its about what makes you happy.

Melanie

If I were given the opportunity to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what i now know about college life and the whole college process, I would tell myself to do exactly what I did when I was a high school senior. I wouldn't change anything in my process in getting ready for college because I am happy where I am now. I love the college I picked and the major I am pursuing. I was on top of my game when I was preparing for college, so I was always on time with deadlines and the like. The only thing I would tell myself is to be more relaxed about the whole process, because I did have a tendency to worry too much. All in all, stay on top of all deadlines and just enjoy the experience, because it is surely one that won't be forgotten.

Charles

Knowing what I now know as a nineteen year old desiring a college level education, there is an immense amount of changes I would like to recreate during my highschool experience. Growing up in a small town, where graduating high school is not the number one priority, it was difficult to take my education seriously. My learning disability, attention deficit disorder, also made me strive to maintain focus on a daily basis. However, i have learned from the wrong paths I have gone down, and now choose to stay on the path to not only increase my knowledge, but also formulate a better individual. Now, I have a concrete grounding in my beliefs, and putting my desire for a higher education at the top of all my priorities.

Jacquelyn

My main concern in high school was "what will I do for the rest of my life"? My advie to myself would be not to question it. What you want to do will change constantly. You will start off in one major and transition into another within a semester. There is no need to know what you will do with your life, all you should know is what you like. I would tell myself to volunteer more, and to thank every teacher who ever took the time to help me. What I realize now is that they helped shape me into the person I am, they took the time to advise me, and I only wish I knew how imortant that was at the time. I would tell myself to thank everyone who helps me in the most sincere way possible. I would also tell myself to not smoke, because really...the quitting process was awful. It was never worth it. Transitioning into college wasn't difficult for me, but I have learned a lot about myself throught the past few years.

If I were able to go back in time to my senior year, I would definitely give myself some advice. I would tell myself that I was making the right decision by applying to Western Connecticut State University. When I was a senior I was very unsure about going to Western because I could only be accepted into the school if I did their summer program. It was called EAP and it was a five week program that let you prove you could pass college classes. As a senior I did not want to waste my whole summer taking classes for college. It made me very stressed out my senior year. I would go back and tell myself that it would be one of the best experiences in my life. It would prepare me for college and teach me valuable lessons. I would also say I was proud of myself and to keep going strong.

Thomas

Wow how did that happen? I?ve gone back in time to my high school graduation. I love my life, but it sure did not turn out the way I thought at all. So much has happened since that day. There are defiantly some things in my life that I wish had gone differently. I decided that I would leave a note in my jacket with just one simple message, ?follow your heart?. You see, at this point in my life I was getting ready to go off to college. In the beginning it didn?t matter to me how far away the schools were all I wanted to do was golf, but it was about this time when I started to wonder if I was making the right decision. I ended up going away to school for eight days before I dropped out and came back home. I walked carefully over to my jacket and placed the note in my left pocket. At that moment I woke up. Completely dressed in the clothes I was wearing from my dream. So I jump out of bed and a pen hits the floor?did I really just travel back in time?

Bethany

i would have told my self to do scholarships earlier, and get 2 job and be more seriouse about saveing my money. i want to transfer to a art college from chemekata, and i want to go to LCAD and i need the high education... im a artist. but i never knew it was so much money. i wish i would have prepared my self better my senior year, by starting this whole scholarship saving prosess eirlier.

Cindy

If I could go back in time as a high school senior i would tell myself to figure out really what I want to do with my life. I would figure it out as a student in high school and I would of already graduated from a college and been well on my way to a good retirment. I would not wait till i am in my mid life to figure it all out. The advice I could of gave myself is that figure it all out cindy as you could make a good life for my daughter and I and our life could be different just by making the right choices in life. There is one thing though that it is never too late to go to school to get a better education and to better ones life, and that is what I intend to do is to better my life with a degree so that i can have that perfect job with the benefits to better our life. If time was different I would of did it different and went to college right out of High School but like i said it is never too late....

Nicholas

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I did now, I would not say a solitary word. The decision I have made to attend a prestigious university that promotes the best goals and values for my career path since I was a senior in high school, have been the best decision in my life thus far. I strongly believe that life is a subjective experience that should be lived within each moment to the fullest. My environment has strongly stimulated this prospect since birth, leaving my determination to guide me through life taking advantage of every positive force I could get my hands on. Although the transition from high school to higher education is argueably difficult, there is no greater enlightenment in this world than to consider that anything could happen, but to be prepared to choose the things that further you as a whole. Therefore, the sound advice I would give to my high school senior self would be nothing at all, leaving every option open.

Amber

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have definitely tried to become eligible to take honors AP courses that give college credits. Therefore, i probably would have been more advanced and able to take higher courses that would have brought me steps closer to fulfilling my major requirements. I probably also would have prepared my mind mentally as well as my body physically. Once you start college, it's almost as if you are living on your own and you don't have your parents or any adults breathing down your back telling you what to do. I also would have made sure that I kept track of my diet and the certain foods that I ate. Once, I started to become more comfortable with the college life, my eating habits started to become bad and I put on a few pounds since my first year of college. The most important advice I would give myself would be to stay focused and strong even when things seem rough and I know that if i ever needed help I could always count on my family to be there to support me.

To strive to do my best in high school. I "slacked" off in freshman and sophomore year which made a big difference and showed in my transcript that was sent to the colleges that I applied to. Also take as many challenging courses in high school that you can which will help prepare and make the transition to college a little smoother. And also, don't pick a quad when rooming. Too many personality conflicts. Take it from someone who did that and learned her lesson. One roommate is plenty and more satisfying. With a total of four roommates, you get know sleep and can't focus on studies with everyone in and out of room.

Richard

If I could use a fancy time machine and go back almost 2 years ago, this is what I would say: "Listen Rich, college is nothing like high school. Guess what? You can be yourself! All of those cliques that existed in high school are minuscule in college. No matter who you are you will fit in, even the band geek that you are. At WestConn, tons of students love music just as much as you. Speaking of music, you will be a music education major right? So practice that saxophone! It's like getting you daily servings of vegetables; sometimes you might not want them, but too bad! Moving on, the professors here know the facts. They wouldn't be working at the university if they didn't! Be a sponge! Soak up all of that knowledge because it will help you when you become a teacher. Finally, you are not home anymore. You are free at last, at least for a couple months at a time! Get ready for the best times of your life, because believe me, time flies. So make the best of it, you are not going to be in college forever!"

bella

Dont go to community college first. Go straight for your bachealors degree. They said that it would only take you two years and then you would have an associates in nursing, but the pre-requistites take you about two years to do. In the end you do for years and end up with your associates. Do as much as you can, and work hard. Even though you are attending a community college doesnt mean the classes are easier. Also get more advice from school counselers. Learn more about bachelor vs. associates like they told you about. Dont let a couple bad grades bring you down. Let those grades make you work harder to get better ones. Above all, work for your goal, and dont forget that you have a passion for what you want to be, and dont let anything stop you from achieving your goal of becoming a nurse.

Marisa

The advice I would give myself now would be to be more aggressive applying for scholarships. I would also advise to take more AP classes. I took two my senior. The credits I got helped, but I think it would have benefited me more to take more of them. One last piece of advice I would tell myself would be to study harder. In my senior year, I slacked off a little. I did not study asmuch as a could have. There's so much reading and studying going on for my classes in college, I regret not practicing that during my senior year.

The advice I would of given myself would be to work harder in high school and to take more of an interest in going to college. The choice where you go really matters and can change your experience. I would have told myself you should apply to Western Connecticut State University don't make John Jay College your first choice . I thought I would be happy at John Jay but the commute is tiresome, its hard to make friends since you don't live near NYC, and I felt like I missed out on experiences that my friends were having like dorm life and being away from home, meeting new people, and commuting from John Jay made it hard to find a job. WCSU has so much for you to try and to get involved in like the Women's Rugby team, sports, and clubs. This university will really help you take your next steps to growing up because you would learn to work hard, take responsibility, make new friends, and become independant Also I would consider looking into the major of social work since I know how much we enjoy working with children.

Rachae

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now, I would tell myself to relax and to rethink my major. Before I graduated, I had the idea that I needed to know what I was going to do with my life before I graduated from high school. When I was half way through college, I learned that being a social work major was not for me, but also that I had made the wrong decision in thinking that I had to choose my major before going to college. I learned my true passion was in reading and writing, and that I would find this in being an English Literature major. I also learned that I needed to relax. I constantly overreacted over papers and projects, especially thinking that I had to be a perfectionist. I finally realized that I could do well, and I did not need to be perfect. As a high school senior, knowing this idea would have helped me do better in college overall. It took me until my last year of college to realize that no one is perfect no matter what they do.

Andrew

If I could go back and talk to myself I would tell myself to be brave about new experiences. Many times I've stopped myself from doing something I wanted to do because I was afraid I wouldn't be good at it or people would think I had no business being there because I hadn't done it before or that I couldnt' talk with a new person or a teacher because I was afraid they wouldn't like me or they didn't care about me. But most of the time when I forced myself to do something--mainly becuase I had to because it was required--the experience was never as bad as I imagined it to be. In fact most of the time it was a lot better than I thought it would be and I was really glad I did it. I'd also tell myself that even if I only learned ONE thing from a class or a meeting with someone or a new experience, it was time well spent. Learning even only one new thing can be the basis for changing your whole life or giving it greater meaning.

Patrick

I would study harder and be more active in school programs

Carlos

I graduated High school in France. So for me, Going to college in the United States was a big dissicion in my live. The advice I would give myself, is to be yourself, don't mind what others say about you, because beeing different is what makes this country. Also I would say to myself to be well organized.

Amanada

Western Connecticut State University is where you should of gone in the first place. You should of never went to John Jay College.

Denisha

Go where you want to go no matter how hard it is to get the money together. Try as hard as you can to talk to financial aid if you need extra help.

DeAndrea

It doesn't matter how much the school cost beacause its the education and life values you learn in the long run that matters the most. Take advantage of all your school has to offer from tutoring session to $5 trips to little plays to games between dormoritry halls,all these give you the full affect of a college experince.

Caressa

One major suggestion to the parents/students who are seeking the perfect college would definitely be to pay a visit to the school first. Sometimes we tend to take the advice of our friends and relatives when they give there opinions of the school, but by first hand experience you can tell if it is right for you or not. By just one visit you could also feel the school spirit in the air! One thing that Westconn is known for is its friendly student body. We may not be the most academic school or even the biggest party school but once you step foot on our campus you are sure to be welcomed with a smiling face.

Kevin

I would say that college is really what you make it and you can have fun no matter how close or far you are from home. I would recommend they find a college that fits their needs and matches things such as the subject they want to study, the size and location of the school, and also somewhere that fits their budget. I believe they should dorm there if possible, as my experience dorming the first year made me very independent and also introduced me to some very close friends that I beleive I will keep for life. Overall, my advice would be that everyone thinks it is tough in the beginning, but if you give your school some time, you may come to like it.

It is important to make sure that high school students visit each campus that they apply to before making a decision. This really aids in giving the student an experience to the look and feel of the college. Atmosphere is one of the most important things, along with understand the types of students that go there, and their learning environments.

Cynthia

Visit every campus and if possible stay for a night on campus

Lianne

When choosing a college, and making the most of the college experience, the most important piece of advice I can give is to fully ensure that the school you are choosing offers the major you are most interested in participating in. Although it may seem that academics are the furthest thing from a student's mind, the truth is that more time will be spent in class and on schoolwork than doing anything else. One of the worst experiences is to spend two years and countless dollars at one school, only to decide that you don't like your major and have to start all over, losing credits in the transfer process and losing friends when you change schools, along the way. Even worse, graduating only to discover that you don't want to do the job your major leads you into, is a terrible and confusing feeling. There is life after college- plan for it. Live in the moment, but don't spend all your time, money and energy on a career and a future that does not interest you. Make sure that your social life balances with your other responsibilities. You will thank yourself later.

Shanelle

It is highly important that you pick college wisely. When you do pick your college make sure that you make the best of your college experience because that's what's going to affect your college outcome. It is important that you open yourself up to college experience by getting involve, socializing, and seeing what you can add to the college experience.

Eric

Make sure you have your priorities of the whole college decision down. Listen to each other and take each others opinions into you considerations during the decision-making process. If money is an issue, look at it effectively. If you want a nice community-based school, take that into account. If there are educational priorities, and you want to make sure you are getting a great education, make sure the teachers are great and active in their field of work. If you want a nice city or town surrounding it to go to, that should be a part of the decision as well. Make sure that the most important priorities are taken care of. Try not to let the little things that can be negative get in the way of enjoying a college experience. Also, perhaps most important, if you don't think you should go to school, or want to, don't rush it. If the scale is weighing on going and you are just being lazy, though, don't pass up a great opportunity. But if you are not sure, you don't want to have thousands of dollars in debt and a resentment against the world.

christina

Test out what drives and motivates you before jumping into colleges. I personally took 3-4 internships BEFORE college, during highschool to figure out what i wanted. 2 summers at the North east fisheries in milford CT to explore Marine biology... loved it but not for the rest of my life.... took an internship at a chiropractors office for a few months to explore physical therapy... not a fan of touching strangers for a living... but the science behind it amuses me. Finally an internship in Maryland pointed out a career in the arts, perhaps with a second degree int he sciences, is where my passion lies. I was convinced throughout high school that i wanted to go into marine biology, but after doing it for two summers unpaid... it didn't seem worth the job instability and the required phd. or masters to be able to make a survivable income. If you really don't know, westconn, or a local liberal school can help.

Melinda

There are many important things to take into consideration when selecting a college. I feel that most important is that it feels like a home away from home for you. You should feel comfortable there and know that there are always people there who can help you out through the years you will be there. Also important are the academics, you should know that you are going to learn everything and anything you want to cover in the time that you are there so that you will be ready to take on the world afterwards.

Mark

Make sure it's somewhere you really want to be. Check out different campuses until you find the one that works. Don't go somewhere just because your friends are.

Vanessa

Get fantastic grades!

Josh

Keep ontop of your school work and don't put it off. Get involved in something.

Christopher

Apply to a ton of schools with many different choices and pick the best school that applies to you and what you want to do with the rest of your life. Be your own person.

Deirdre

I would say that Western is a great school. You will meet lots of different people that will help you along in your college years. The profeesor are nice and helpful. The campus is beautiful. Dorm life is fun and gives more independence. Lots of sports and extra activties to do after class and to get involved with school. The meal plan is not too bad there are plenty of places to eat on both campuses. There is a shuttle bus that travels back and forth that helps students get from place to place. There are concerts, shows and always something going on campus. Work hard have fun, college is a great experience. It is a safe school we have police and they keep everything in check. Nothing too horible has happened at this school. I have had the best experience ever here at WCSU. I am hard working, in a sorority, have a bf, played on the soccer team and was in a club the United students of westconn. You will have fun, do well and meet lots of people.

Sandra

I would tell every student and parent to choose a school that makes you feel comfortable and supports your interests. Financial status is also an important part in choosing a school, however, you only live through college once and making sure you enjoy your campus setting and experience what school is truly about is what is important to me. Most of all make sure you give your school a chance before thinking about transfering. Once friends are made and academics are all balanced out, you begin to enjoy everything much more.

If you can visit a school overnight, do it. Once you are attending school make sure you get out there and make friends - knock on your neighbors' doors, talk to people in your classes - the friendships you form in college are for life and are what make your college experience. Also, go out and try something new. If there's something you've always wanted to try, try it! This is the time to reinvent yourself and to form who you really are.

Laura

Think of your campus as your home, and see if you could really see your self there. Choose what makes you feel comfortable, because when you have 20 page essays and projects due all on the same day, you need a place that relaxs you.

Lucia

The advice I would give would be to make sure that the college you are choosing is what you really want. A lot of my friends went so far away from college because they thought that what they needed was being away from their families. That was not the case and they decided to attend a university much closer to home. Each person has their own needs so I will not say that you need to dorm or to stay at home to get the best college experience. Each person knows what they enjoy doing and with the kind of people they like to be around. When choosing colleges it is best to not think about location as much as to think about how your life will be attending that college or university. Whatever makes a person happy that should be the place where they belong.

Richard

Go into a career that you know you will be happy doing. If you are going to be unhappy with a job that you will have for the rest of your life then it may not be worth the money that you will make doing it. As far as applying for schools, apply to as many as you can and research each one in depth. Do not just pick the closest one or the easiest one. There are many possibilities and each school may offer something that the others do not. Also, look into the sports, clubs, and other extracurricular activities that the schools offer. This will ensure that your social life out of class will keep you occupied and happy.

Arielle

Visit campuses more than once. Sometimes there are things that you miss the first time. Talk to the students-they know there college better than anybody else. Go to the events and be apart of the college community. If you don't, then you're just repeating high school.