Western Connecticut State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Western Connecticut State University

Michelle

WCSU is a fantastic choice if you’re interested in majoring in music. The new Visual and Performing Arts Center is state of the art and the music professors are top notch professional musicians and educators. Music educators who have graduated from WestConn have an instant reputation and are in high demand in Connecticut schools.

Melissa

Brand new theatre facilities, however it can be hard to get individual treatment because the department is very large.

Rebecca

Western Connecticut State University provides a wide variety of academic opportunities and extracurricular activities that give an experience that builds personality and skills needed to become successful. Instructors and fellow students are easy to interact and connect with which makes college an exciting place to learn. At WCSU, I have the ability to strive in my chosen academic fields - psychology and justice, law, and administration - as well as explore others. For example, writing has been my hobby since middle school and after speaking to one of my professors I have decided to become a professional writing minor. WCSU is a place where students can incorporate their everyday hobbies into their academic life and receive an excellent education.

Good school but housing and food sucks!

Jose

Western Connecticut State University, doesn't have the best reputation as one might think. There is a general lack of involvement all over campus. This is seen all over the residence halls, clubs and organizations and even greek life as a whole. The residence halls have minor fun but is mostly bogged down with policies that the housing department enforce which is among one of the toughest out of the CSU school's. Food is okay but requires dealing with not so good quality food. The organizations lack structure and mostly filled with people going through loop holes on how to run a meeting. But the people that attend classes and live in the dorms are good people but often stuck in shitty situations.

Jeffrey

Overall I have had an amazing experience at WCSU, however, this is because I chose to get involved. The campus is highly commuter populated and many students tend to go home on the weekends, so more or less to many it feels like a glorified community college. But much like many other things its what you make of it and the time you put into it, if you go in looking to transfer you are going to miss an incredible community of individuals that encompass our clubs and organizations. Everyone who is involved has found a love for this school because they see all the different opportunities that are offered. I have taken the getting involved to a whole other level by joining several clubs, getting multiple jobs and going to as much as I could. There are a ton of free events that the involved students go to and can win tons of prizes, since our school is a big arts school we have a lot of events going on in the visual performing arts center that are absolutely incredible. Overall the university has a wonderful community and hundreds of things going on at throughout he semesters.

Anwar

Western has been a place of growth and learning for me, not just in the classroom, but in life as well. I have learned about different cultures, different lifestyles, and different opinions & ideas. WCSU has taught me that being different is a good thing as standing out in a crowd of people will get you places in life and it's always great to help others reach their goals as well.

Iroroesiri

My overall opinion is that Western Connecticut State University is a great university, especially for those interested in Art. We also have a great health field for those who are interested. Experiencing the college life has been great and also the excitement of meeting different people from other states.

Equan

My overall opinion of Western Connecticut State University is that it is a great school to go to. First, the campus life is the best when you have meet a group of people to become long time friends with. There are two campuses in different location in Danbury which is the West side campus and the Midtown campus which is the main campus. Each campus has three dorm buildings which are great to live but a little expensive. Seconds, the other things that make WCSU great are the sports, clubs, Greeks life, and other university organization that make the school a great school. These sports teams and organization can help you make friends if you have a difficult time doing so. Third, the academics on campus is great to there are multiply computer center on both WCSU campuses, to two library, and multiple study areas. Last, the food service on campus is good there are different choices to make every day but are the choices are the same. The school has upgraded in the past year giving the students better food options. Western Connecticut is a great college to attend to even though you will be paying more for room and board than classes it self. they do have off campus apartments, houses or town houses to live maybe once you enter your sophomore, junior, and senior year.

Ruby

Western has just built a brand new facility, the Visual and Performing Arts Center. It now one of the best art facilities in the country. I feel so fortunate to have the opportunity to go to school here. The building is beautiful, and all my classes are well-accommodated. I considered other schools, but after three years of attending Western, I have never looked back.

Tom

School could be doing much better, instead of building that new police station, they could have spent the money for the midtown campus gym facility. We have a really great arts program but they don't have a good way of advertising events. Not everyone checks the school website or their emails for information like that, they would be better off with an Instagram page that would post events as they were approaching.

Edith

I like Western Connecticut for their academics. The academics are enough to challenge you a little bit and to make you think, but not too overwhelming for the life of a college student. There's enough to keep us occupied, but enough for us to have a decent social life without losing focus of our goal in the end, which is to graduate with a degree.

Baki

Western Connecticut State University is an amazing college that provides students with a variety of above and beyond experiences. The students are friendly, and teachers are very welcoming. This is a place where it is easy to be yourself, and interact with people who share the same interests as you.

amy

It is an okay school to go to so that you save money. However, there are a lot of improvements that could be made. The classrooms could be nicer and more high tech. A lot of the teachers still use blackboards. The teachers do not know how to access the online portal to post work. Professors either really care about you, or they do not care at all. The student life is extremely slow and students here do not try too hard.

Mia

I lived on campus my freshman year and half of my sophomore year and to be honest, freshman year was worth it but not sophomore year. WCSU is considered a commuter school which means weekends are pretty boring. I would recommend commuting and saving some money. In state tuition is not too bad. I would also recommend taking some of your harder classes at community colleges as long as you receive a C or above, the credit transfers but not the grade, this means that your GPA will no be effected. You can always take online classes. I wish someone gave me this amazing advice.

Donavon

You decide as a student how productive your time at Western will be. The education a student receives at Western is a product of the work ethic they put forward and the time that they put in. There are many opportunities at Western and students just have to be active and work for them. There are also many resources at Western that many students can take advantage of.

Grace

Overall WCSU is a great school. Teachers not in the visual and performing arts department have set office hours that they follow. However, in the visual and performing arts department, the office hours are just a guideline and the teachers are always willing to help. The music program is phenomenal and I am grateful to be a part of it.

Cian

I love the biology department, but the system itself is so, so flawed! Financial Aid is never helpful and other areas you'll have to stay on top of to get anything done. I transferred in, first semester here, and it was an awful experience getting everything sorted (I transferred from a CSCC). It's also a pretty boring campus; the social aspect isn't there -- in college-held events or in clubs.

Harrison

WCSU is a very welcoming university. There is something for everyone here. There are plenty of opportunities to make new friends, and have great experiences. The school can be lacking in terms of the housing; the beds are uncomfortable, and there's often broken parts of the dorm hall. The food is provided by Sodexo, and while everything tastes good, after a few weeks you get very bored of the same food all the time. Overall I gave WCSU 4/5. The campuses are amazing, and the classroom experience is like no other.

I think overall, Western Connecticut has a great learning and social environment. It is on the smaller size but that does help when it comes to classroom sizes and professor availability. There are a lot of wonderful extra curricular activities to get involved in such as Greek life, sports teams, and plenty of arts and music activities to join.

Brenton

WCSU is a decent school with 2 decent campuses that are only 15 minutes away from each other (there is a shuttle that brings students back and forth). They are in good locations as the mall is only ten minutes away from each campus and the city is a little less than 2 hours away if you drive, but there is a train station close by and that will be about 2 hours. But the academics aren't all there, while I had some great professors I also had bad ones, not the school to get a good Econ degree if you ask me, I hope to transfer.

I am very happy where I'm at and I know I made the right decision to go to college here. The professors are always there for their students and make sure we are learning the right materials. There's a variety of classes for students to take whatever they are interested in. So many fun events at the school that make college so memorable for me. I made a lot of friends and great people here! I know that this school will guide me in the right direction for a successful career ahead!

Josephine

Western Connecticut State University is located in Danbury, CT, making it easily accessible for students traveling from some eastern areas in CT and those traveling from NY. As an alum who traveled about 40 minutes from home to the university 4-5 times a week for classes and nursing clinicals, I found it to be conveniently located to restaurants and stores when campus food and materials were too costly. However, it would have been better appreciated if there were non-chain restaurants and stores nearby to gain a more wholesome experience in terms of off-campus activities. Academically, I believe I received the best possible education for nursing and have obtained a tremendous amount of knowledge and experience that I use in my professional career on a daily basis, However, I do believe that some of the professors should have been more personable and approachable.

Malaika

I was a commuter student to Western Connecticut and to be honest, I did and didn't enjoy my experience at the same time. While there, I did enjoy the classes and I made a few friends at the same time but at the same time, I did not enjoy how lonely I felt. I didn't join many recreational activities, I did join about three or four, but still didn't feel like I connected. The food there was just par and because they had two campuses that were close in proximity, it was somewhat hard to keep track of where everyone was. I am no longer a student, not because I didn't like the school but because I chose to transfer to a different school. Western was not my first choice but it did help me get a feel for the college environment.

I came to Western Connecticut State University because of a financial choice, but hey...education is what YOU make of it. I have gotten involved in and out of the classroom and have seen what this campus really has to offer. It maybe just be "another state school" in your book, but I encourage you to look a little deeper, and take another look. If you are willing to make it happen, college is a platform, and Western Connecticut State University will provide you with a proper foundation.

Western is a great school for students newly adjusting to the college life. I have had a great experience here meeting new students and participating in extracurricular activities. The campus is always kept nice and it is small so getting from building to building is not bad at all. The library is a great place to hang out and the cafeteria has pretty good food. Western offers many different majors which all are known to be great programs. Reflecting on student life on campus, students are actively involved and kept safe at all times. Outside campus student life, students are still included and have just as good of a time living off campus as those that live on campus. Overall, Western is an awesome college!

Western is affordable and near by for me. Also I love the professors, and there are many activities that are held: concerts, games, and much more! I never knew so much happened in my home town. The majority of professors offer office hours and are very willing to help. Others not so much, but overall great neat school!

Robert

WCSU is a great institution to begin your college career or if you're a returning student. The majority of the students are commuters. Most of the class sizes are less than fifty students. In my experience the science professors are committed to excellence and hold the students to high standards. They're almost always accessible outside of class and since the classes are small it makes the experience much more personal. Many of them will even reach out to you if you're absent or if you receive a grade below your normal range.

Molly

I love WCSU! it was a very welcoming college and you got to look around campus and was super fun! I loved how many friendly people there were to meet at WCSU. My Aunt and Uncle have previously attended and graduated from WCSU, so knowing how far they've come and how successful they are makes me feel even more determined that WCSU. Is the place for me and I am beyond thrilled to start my adventure at WCSU in 2020!

Marisa

Good school! Great opportunity to meet many different people and opened instate tuition opportunities for New York students as well. The population has a lot of commuters as it is a state school, however everyone is very friendly!

Leah

Western Connecticut State University has been incredible. The size of the campus is perfect, nowhere is more than a ten minute walk away. While the school runs on the small side, it allows you to have more opportunities for leadership positions and to be as involved as you would like. The class sizes are perfect because you get to know your professors and your professors get to know you. The faculty and administration want you to succeed and if you are willing to make the best out of the school, you will not be disappointed by what the school presents you with.

Kellie

I enjoy coming to WestConn. The professors are accessible and knowledgable for the most part, I respect most of them and some are very motivating. The staff is always looking and open to ideas that will help student life and academic life. Many services are available for students like train passes, concerts, healthcare, library, etc. I lived on campus for 2 years and I loved my freshman year dorm but sophomore year it wasn't the best experience. The food could be a little bit better or more of a variety, but overall its not too bad. At Western, you get the most bang for your buck, which is the reason I chose the school. I really enjoyed going here and if they had a law school, I'd definitely go back.