Macomb, IL
Western Illinois University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Western Illinois University

Issac

All of my class mates are friendly, helpful people who have drive and are willing to make connections to further the success of themselves and others.

This university boasts friendly people, intelligent professors, many great associations and fraternities and and great night life. I can enjoy studying and making friends while here.

Dalymar

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have told myself to let go of the reins a little and enjoy the last and only high school senior year. This might not seem as the most "academic" advice with which a student should be bombarded, but it is a true reality check. I spent most of my Fall semester applying for top of the league universities and scholarships, thus, missing out on glorious football games, forever-lasting memories on outtings with friends, etc. The sad part about it is that I was not accepted into any of the applied institutions nor chosen for most of the scholarships I spent time applying. I literally threw my high school senior year experiences away. I would tell myself to not worry about the big top universities, because community college will become my parents wallets' best friend, and a great path unto the university I want to attend. Though I would encourage myself to have fun, I would still cheer me into going for the "A" grade in each class as I was already doing, because good times do not reign over responsibilities and excellent education.

Raynnah

Do not allow people who do not truly care about their education into your life. They are like a virus and you are bound to get sick with it. just completely eliminate them because they will eventually be your downfall.

The staff is the best thing about the school. Every staff and facualty memeber I have encountered are very helpful. They go above and beyond for their students, hard working students.

A person who truly wants an education and is completely dedicated to hardworkd.

Ariadna

The school has many students that help out one another around the campus.

The school has many students that help out one another around the campus.

I think what is unique about my school is that there is an orientation team that goes beyond than just being there in orientation helping the freshman out when they are lost about something.

What I would give myself advice wise about college life is being more social and volunteering more so be able to have more of communication skills. Also, just opening up and hanging out with people that are different from yourself: culture and ethnic wise.

Briana

For every class that I've been in, my classmates have been unique and unpredicatble.

If I could rewind time and be a senior again I would of took the time to fill out for more scholarships. Being in college, I now know that it's expensive and can be a burden on your parents pockets. I'm grateful that the wonderful college I attend is affordable, but if I would have applied for more scholarships I could have got into my dream school, which is Ohio State University.

The kind of person that should attend my university should be someone who doesn't mind a small campus, someone who is looking to have a good relationship with their professor, and someone who isn't trying to pay an enormous amount of money for tuition.

Tiffany

It is okay to take time to find yourself. Do not spend so much time worrying about having everything figured out at the beginning. You will change your mind and sometimes find you have completely changed, and that's okay. Actually, it's beautiful. Embrace change and let it take you anywhere. Take time to calm down. If you want to do well, you will. If you put in the time and effort, the grades will follow. It's like a well oiled machine, just promise me you won't overwork it! Remember to always be who you are in every sense. You will not agree with every professor and sometimes you will be wrong. Learn from everyone, even the people you don't like, they will be the ones who shape you. Be grateful for the teachers who are hard on you, you will never forget their names or their impact. Most of all, enjoy the ride. College one of the biggest adventures of your life so be open to everything and everyone. Be safe. Don't make wreckless decisions but don't forget to live.

morgan

My classmates are all very different. Most of the students know how to be prompt to class, however, there are always some students who choose not to go to class. Classes are usually twenty to thirty students, so you get to know you classmates better. They are all usually very friendly and helpful if necessary.

I would tell myself to never skip class. Even though it may seem cool that some teachers say class is optional, you still need to go to class if you want to get the grade you desire. I would also tell myself studying is very important, and tests are nothing like high school. Studying for five minutes before a test does not cut it in college. Take time and understand the material you learn, rather than memorizing it.

Western Illinois is not a good college for students who are not very serious about their education. If a student isn't very into joining clubs or getting invoolved with volunteer work, this university might not be for them. This university is a bit costly, so if students want to save money and aren't interested in joining anything, they might not like Western.

destiny
Do you feel like you changed a lot?

yes in a good way. im more focused on my education then being popular

Do you feel like you changed a lot?

yes in a good way. im more focused on my education then being popular

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

when every you feel you need too. theres no rules on when you can check in at home

I don't drink. Will it be hard for me to go to parties?

no i do not drink as well but i still manage to have a blast

What do people really wear to class?

jogging pants, yoga pants, bball shorts ,tshirts and etc. things that are comfortable

What's the hardest thing about freshman year?

gettng used to not going home. i became homesick a week after being in college

not to trust everyone you come in contact with!

Why did you decide to go to this school?

the Leja progam, close to home and very affordable

Breanne

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to go to WIU because it is close to home and the tuition is not crazy. I've heard it's a really good school for psychology majors. I also wanted to go to a smaller size campus where I can get to know my classmates and the faculty better.

I'm a part of the BAC Squad on campus. It's about battling alcohol consequences. We educate students on the dangers of drinking and how to drink responsibly. It's a really fun group to be a part of and it's really flexible around my schedule. We do a lot of really fun events each semester, and if you can't make it to an event then it's not a huge deal, as long as you try to make it to as many as possible. There is quite a bit of advertising for the different events on campus. I don't typically go to sporting events because of my schedule, but I do go to some plays and different shows when I can. Usually the plays have a pretty big audience, and if it's a really popular play it will sell out quickly. Most of my friends came from talking in classes. People are really talkative and almost anyone can join into conversations in the classroom before class starts. I'm usually not awake at 2 am on Tuesdays, but if I am I'm probably out hanging out with friends. My friends and I like to watch movies when we're together so if I'm up that late, that's probably what I'm doing. Usually the school has a big comedian every year. I love these shows. It's a huge event and it gets a lot of people to go. That's the one major event I look forward to every year. There are a lot of other events that happen each year too.

The main stereotype for students at my school is that we are all just a bunch of crazy part animals. Everyone says that WIU is one of the biggest part schools in the Midwest. This is not completely accurate. There are quite a few people who go out multiple times a week, but the only reason that people know that is because it's all they have to talk about. Most of the people I talk to on a daily basis tend to spend most of their time busying themselves with other things and only going out every now and then. WIU only seems like a huge party school because the kids who go out all the time are very vocal about it and pride themselves on their partying abilities. Those kids are the minority of students, they just tend to be the most vocal about their private lives. Most students at WIU don't typically party a lot, but they may go out every now and then. This school gets a bad rap because of its loud students and even louder parties, like the Wheeler Street block party.

Western Illinois University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.