Macomb, IL
Western Illinois University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Western Illinois University

I would tell myself to work on study habits. Even though you are smart enough to get the grades you desire without studying now, try to get the study habits up you will need to use in college. Discipline yourself; know when it's time to play and time to be focused. It is ok to miss a couple parties or hours with friends, they'll understand if they are truly your friends. Keep working hard and apply to MANY scholarships ahead of time!

The classes on campus are great. There is a lot of class size choices to choose from as well as many places for help with anything you would need help with. They want everyone to do well, so they try to give as many resources possible.

Leah

I would tell myself to really research other schools to have more options. I'm not one hundrad percent happy here so i would really push to look at other schools and make myself apply to other ones so I'd have options open to me. I would also say along with looking at the schools and their classes, to also look at the towns they are in and see what there is to do in town. I'd push super hard to look hard for scholarships. I'm paying college with all loans and I will be school for a while so I need the money. I'm tight with money so I'd say look for a job to get money coming into my pocket for the extra college expenses.

Activities. There arent a ton to do because of the location.

Someone who likes a big school with lots of people in it and wants semi chellanging classes.

Western was my only choice when I decided on schools. It's not because it was the only school I got into, it was the only school I applied to- because it was the only school I wanted to go to. Western has a small enough campus that you get a full college experience. If it were too large, you would go through your college career not meeting all the people you could and experiences all that the school has to offer. The teachers are always willing to go above and beyond for their students, and they genuinely want us to succeed. The classrooms don't get too large, so you can get individual attention if you need it. We also have a lot of school pride. The football games are always fun because there are always Leatherneck fans cheering, even in the coldest and wettest of weather. I love Western for the experience it has given me and the pride it has instilled in me.

Susan

I absolutely love western. Friendly people, the teachers are always willing to help, and the cafeteria food isn't as bad as you'd think.

There are lots of group and activities on campus for almost anybody. The honors program is fantastic and provides students with an even higher level of learning.

Western is an extremely diverse school. Any new student would have no trouble falling into the right crowd that they feel most comfortable in.

I'm currently a Law Enforcement major, and that's what Western Illinois University is known for. The academic program is absolutely wonderful, classes never boring.

Definitely the biggest stereotype at WIU is the "redneck." The majority of the students either come from Chicago, a suburb of Chicago, or very small town in central Illinois.

When I first arrived on campus, I wasn't too thrilled with the lack of scenery so to say. However, campus truly grew on me. There are so many things that I finally got involved in. I attend a lot of the multicultural centers events around campus. I have done lots of volunteer work over the course of my time hear. Volunteering really allows to get to know your fellow peers around campus. I think if I could change the school, it would more so be the stores surrounding the campus. There aren't very many places to go shopping other than Walmart.

There are no particular stereotypes seen around campus. There is a very good mixture of athletic individuals, fraternity and sorority students, and many more. At times campus can be seen as a party school, however, that is mainly on the weekends.

John

Western illinois is known for having one of the best Criminal Justice programs around. The campus layout is incredible. It makes you feel like you are attending a larger university, but it is quite small as far as enrollment numbers, The greek system at the college is phenomal.

The advice I would give is to take full advantage of ones academic opportunity. I know I concentrated on the social aspect more then the academic. If I could go back i would do it all over again, rather than just 'do what I had to" I would make a full effort at every course, like I do today. One can esaliy get sucked into the world of not having parents arounf to guve you a hard time about school work. You feel free like an adult, however it is a world where it is difficult to set correct priorities. Fraternity, and friends came first then the schoolwork. Rather the whole reason you came to college was to earn a higher degree, you can socialize at home, working some nowhere dead end job, and hangout. Do the work achieve high grades, and the doors will open for you. I know they would have, ( I look at what I am doing in my 40's as a student). Instead of choosing something that isn't right because you do not have the grades. I am now back in school, again to be a nurse rather than a restaurant manager.

I brag mostly sbout my days with the fraternity, and how it taught oneself to be an adult, and deal with real world issues. In addition the experience I had while pledging. Some of my best friends are my pledgemates.

Carolyn

College has been the instrumental force in pushing me out of my comfort zone and caused me to begin thinking outside of the box I previously, yet unknowingly, was in. As a non-traditional student, the idea of heading back to class (in 2007) with a predominantly fresh-faced group of teenagers was both daunting and intimidating. I chose to attend a local community college on a part-time basis for the first year of my college education. After making the President's List following my first full-time semester, I became addicted. My goal is not to compete with my classmates for the best grade in the class but to achieve that recognition at the end of the semester. I still feel the need to prove to myself that I can do an awesome job and show my chiildren (ages 15 and 10) and my husband of 16 years that they will never be too old to stop learning. (I am only 37 but feel so much older around this younger population.) I am also working to get the education I need to better contribute toward my families income.

Location! Western Illinois University is nestled in the west-central portion of Illinois in a city that counts a population of 20,000 people (during the Universities school year). WIU is a well established school in, for the most part, a safe community that promotes family life. Western Illinois University has a diverse student body and offers activities and instruction that is suitable to various ethnicities. The faculty to student ratio varies as well, with class sizes being approximately 20-30 students per class.

Someone who is not serious about their college education should save their money, and everyones time and trouble by just staying home. Having a good time and partying are fine in moderation, but we are adults and should behave as such.

Shakira

What I have gotten out of my college experience so far is my ability to make new friends and became a big part of campus life doing things on campus, such as events and games to support our school in a significant way.

The best thing about my school is the Law Enforcement Major, we are known for our school having a good Law Enforcement Program and I love how our advisors are a big part in our education helping us find the right classes to take, and also helping us stay on task with all of our work.

The worst thing about our school is we don't have enough programs and things to do on campus for us students to get more involved on campus.

Sam

You won't find a student body of extrememly competitive, academic achievers at Western, but there are still students who try their hardest to do well.

Thus far, I've learned that education is what one makes of it. Everyone will have bad teachers, impossible tests, and awful partners for a group project at some point - but that is part of the college experience. One's collegiate success largely depends on the attitude they take on in a given situation. In addition, I've realized that values such as discipline and focus are rare, and they deserve to be utilized to their fullest potential. Academically, college has proved valuable in narrowing my areas of interest and potential jobs. Now, I can focus on one subject area and build my resume accordingly. I've decided to double-major in Spanish and Economics; this way, I can broaden my career opportunities by engaging in international business. At the present, I have a very modest stock portfolio, since my income is very small. I'd like to invest more money, but it's not practical at the moment. I'm confident that I can change this by getting the best education possible and working to my full potential. Although I plan to transfer from Western Illinois University, I've learned much from my experience academically, socially, and professionally.

Classes are small and personal - professors are always available for extra help! Even lecture classes are slightly smaller and more individualized than other schools.

Krysta

College has been a valuable experience. I've learned how to better manage my time and be efficient while still being effective. At 17 I gave birth to my son, who is now turning 3. With a child, a full time job and school work life got tough really quickly. But, I've found with alloting myself a certain amount of time per day for tasks such as homework, dishes and laundry I've had to find ways to get these things done quickly and correctly. I've found myself becoming progressing to a state where I can strategically plan out my day and achieve everything I've set out to do . I've become more confident and independant while attending college. I believe college isn't just to educate your mind but to better your self as a human being.

Western Illinois University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.