Macomb, IL
Western Illinois University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Western Illinois University

Tiffany

It is okay to take time to find yourself. Do not spend so much time worrying about having everything figured out at the beginning. You will change your mind and sometimes find you have completely changed, and that's okay. Actually, it's beautiful. Embrace change and let it take you anywhere. Take time to calm down. If you want to do well, you will. If you put in the time and effort, the grades will follow. It's like a well oiled machine, just promise me you won't overwork it! Remember to always be who you are in every sense. You will not agree with every professor and sometimes you will be wrong. Learn from everyone, even the people you don't like, they will be the ones who shape you. Be grateful for the teachers who are hard on you, you will never forget their names or their impact. Most of all, enjoy the ride. College one of the biggest adventures of your life so be open to everything and everyone. Be safe. Don't make wreckless decisions but don't forget to live.

morgan

My classmates are all very different. Most of the students know how to be prompt to class, however, there are always some students who choose not to go to class. Classes are usually twenty to thirty students, so you get to know you classmates better. They are all usually very friendly and helpful if necessary.

I would tell myself to never skip class. Even though it may seem cool that some teachers say class is optional, you still need to go to class if you want to get the grade you desire. I would also tell myself studying is very important, and tests are nothing like high school. Studying for five minutes before a test does not cut it in college. Take time and understand the material you learn, rather than memorizing it.

Western Illinois is not a good college for students who are not very serious about their education. If a student isn't very into joining clubs or getting invoolved with volunteer work, this university might not be for them. This university is a bit costly, so if students want to save money and aren't interested in joining anything, they might not like Western.

destiny
Do you feel like you changed a lot?

yes in a good way. im more focused on my education then being popular

Do you feel like you changed a lot?

yes in a good way. im more focused on my education then being popular

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

when every you feel you need too. theres no rules on when you can check in at home

I don't drink. Will it be hard for me to go to parties?

no i do not drink as well but i still manage to have a blast

What do people really wear to class?

jogging pants, yoga pants, bball shorts ,tshirts and etc. things that are comfortable

What's the hardest thing about freshman year?

gettng used to not going home. i became homesick a week after being in college

not to trust everyone you come in contact with!

Why did you decide to go to this school?

the Leja progam, close to home and very affordable

Breanne

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to go to WIU because it is close to home and the tuition is not crazy. I've heard it's a really good school for psychology majors. I also wanted to go to a smaller size campus where I can get to know my classmates and the faculty better.

I'm a part of the BAC Squad on campus. It's about battling alcohol consequences. We educate students on the dangers of drinking and how to drink responsibly. It's a really fun group to be a part of and it's really flexible around my schedule. We do a lot of really fun events each semester, and if you can't make it to an event then it's not a huge deal, as long as you try to make it to as many as possible. There is quite a bit of advertising for the different events on campus. I don't typically go to sporting events because of my schedule, but I do go to some plays and different shows when I can. Usually the plays have a pretty big audience, and if it's a really popular play it will sell out quickly. Most of my friends came from talking in classes. People are really talkative and almost anyone can join into conversations in the classroom before class starts. I'm usually not awake at 2 am on Tuesdays, but if I am I'm probably out hanging out with friends. My friends and I like to watch movies when we're together so if I'm up that late, that's probably what I'm doing. Usually the school has a big comedian every year. I love these shows. It's a huge event and it gets a lot of people to go. That's the one major event I look forward to every year. There are a lot of other events that happen each year too.

The main stereotype for students at my school is that we are all just a bunch of crazy part animals. Everyone says that WIU is one of the biggest part schools in the Midwest. This is not completely accurate. There are quite a few people who go out multiple times a week, but the only reason that people know that is because it's all they have to talk about. Most of the people I talk to on a daily basis tend to spend most of their time busying themselves with other things and only going out every now and then. WIU only seems like a huge party school because the kids who go out all the time are very vocal about it and pride themselves on their partying abilities. Those kids are the minority of students, they just tend to be the most vocal about their private lives. Most students at WIU don't typically party a lot, but they may go out every now and then. This school gets a bad rap because of its loud students and even louder parties, like the Wheeler Street block party.

Sherrise

The most popular groups of students at my school are Sports team mostly Basketball and Football. also Fraternities play a big role in the influence on first year undecided students; most students look up to these groups of people.

Most students are from Chicago. A lot of students I interact with fail to talk intelligently and lack confidence in where their knowledge will take them. Some students come to college for the wrong reasons; some came for parties and others came for academics.

The main stereotypes at my school would be Greeks the Frat kids. The students representing their Fraternity gear or logos are immediately put under certain stereotypes and judgments and the Fraternity members are looked at to live up to these typical generalizations of them.

Andrew

My overall opinion of Western Illinois University is quite favorable. Most of my classes have been taught with enjoyable professors, though there have been a few bad ones. The cost of going to school here isn't that expensive compared to other schools in Illinois. A plus is that once you are accepted here, your tuition and room and board rates are locked in for the next four years! Western Illinois is a relatively small campus with an enrollment of about 11,500 students. The town of Macomb is pretty small too; only about 8,000 residents when you exclude all the students. This is good if you are looking for a small town atmosphere instead of a big city campus.

There are a lot of things to do if you're a student at Western Illinois University! To start with, there are over 200 student organizations that you can join. These can range from sports clubs, such as the Lacrosse team, clubs pertaining to your major, such as the Economic Student Association, honors organizations, such as the National Society of Collegiate Scholars, and many others. A student group I'm involved in is Western's All Volunteer Effort or WAVE for short. They are the universities largest volunteer organization and they perform weekly volunteer events as well as special events throughout the year. They volunteer on campus as well as in the local community. Most students here have a perception that our athletic programs are not very good and many students do not pay attention unfortunately. However, this should start to change as the basketball team was just in the Summit League Championship and almost made the NCAA tournament! Other programs are looking up as well such as baseball, football, and women's basketball.

Western Illinois University has approximately 11,500 undergraduates on its campus. Even though most students on campus identify themselves as white, this school has a diverse student population. One of the school's initiatives over the years has been to increase diversity and cultural awareness, and this can easily be seen. To begin with, a brand new cultural center was completed two years ago and it houses the Black Student Association, Casa Latina student group, the women's center, and the LGBT student organization. Western is also represented by students from over 70 countries and many events are held throughout the year to celebrate diversity. An example is the International Bazaar, where students from different countries have booths with authentic cuisine from their country and a stage where students perform dances that are from their country. Even though Western is over 3 hours away from Chicago, a majority of students on campus here come from the Chicago land area. Others come from other places in Illinois and a few people that go here are from Iowa since it's close by.

Allison

The academics at my school are great. I believe that my teachers know my name. My favorite class is my geology class because the teacher is really funny and the material is very interesting and new to me. My least favorite class is my child growth and development class because my teacher is foreign and the lessons are about her research. The most unique class I have taken would be my weight training class. My major is Elementary Education and the department is very helpful. The education is geared towards getting a job and being prepared for all types of students in the classrooms.

The stereotype of students at my school is that they are drunks. For the most part this is true but there are so many things that students can do instead of drinking if they just tried find another opinion.

Datrese

I like the teachers at the school. It is a great place to get a education. However, the school spirit is not good. If it is one thing I could change it would be the school spirit and the Black Greek life.

What's the Greek scene like?

It is ok but not as active

What's the dating scene like?

There are barely on campus dating people normally date people at other Universities.

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

It is medium size and it is a small town. There is a lot of trees and everything is close by. however there are no malls.

There really is nothing besides the fashion show.

When you step off campus what do you see?

I see nothing but trees and empty land.

It is beautiful and have a lot of cool cites and classes are close by.

Describe the dorms.

They are nice just very small but you have community bathrooms.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

Because I want to make a difference for my younger siblings and the children in my community.

Some popular groups is the people that are involved in Greek life. I am involved in Black student Association and the Law program. I party every other weekend.

The students at my school are not as social. Many students hang with there own group and they do not try branching off to meet others. Most students wear jeans and shirts to class the do not wear pajamas.

The academics at my school is good. The professors are very helpful especially during office hours. The professors know my name because e I talk in class and I go to office hours. Students are competitive. The class that is very unique thus far is Sociology.

A stereotype at my school is that you will be attending Western for at least five years and it is not accurate although very few do.

GOURISHANKAR

FOR AN GOOD AND HIGH QUALIFIED ACADEMIC EDUCATION

FOR AN GOOD AND HIGH QUALIFIED ACADEMIC EDUCATION

I THINK COLLEGE IS A PLACE TO LEARN ABOUT THE LIFE AND THE WAY TO BEHAVE IN THE SOCIETY AND EDUCATION IS A PART OF IT.

THERE IS NO FRUSTRATING THING IN MY COLLEGE

Western Illinois University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.