Western Illinois University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Western Illinois University

Amy

I have just recently completed my first year at Western Illinois University after transferring from a community college. Within my short time here, I have had opportunities to meet lifelong friends, become involved with the school and community, and I have gained hands-on experience for my future career. The opportunities here at Western truly are endless. Transferring to Western from a community college was made easy by helpful staff and the opportunity to meet with other transfer students. Living on campus also played a role in such a smooth transition. The dorms have floor meetings in which provide you the chance to meet your floor mates and ask your RA any questions you may have. There are also hall meetings/events that allow you to meet individuals living throughout your entire building. It is a great way to interact, make friends, and find out about clubs and sports to join. Western is big on students being involved, and encourages them to do so by hosting an activities fair in the beginning of the school year where students can sign up for various clubs or even Greek life. Emails are also periodically sent throughout the year, informing students of events happening around campus. Not only does Western want students to become involved, it also wants students to excel in their studies so they may thrive in their careers in the real world. This is made possible by the excellent professors who go above and beyond to guarantee students understand the course material and have a true understanding of the topics covered. The professors are constantly thinking of new ways to present the material in ways that make it more interesting. They also organize activities in lab that ensure our readiness for encounters we may have in our future jobs. The professors also have a wide variety of office hours and do the best they can to help with any questions. They work hard to be available if any help is needed. The University is also a big supporter of our military, which is a plus in my book. They have an excellent ROTC program, as well as special opportunities and scholarships for veterans and active duty members. At the beginning of each school year, the school hosts an annual Fallen Soldier 5k for students and the community. Not only does it provide the opportunity to interact with the community, but it is a way to raise money and awareness for a great cause. If students need a change from the campus scene, WIU is located not too far from the square downtown. The square has several restaurants and shops that can only be found in Macomb. There are also bars popular with the upperclassmen students such as The Change of Pace or The Ritz. The Forum is also a popular spot for those in more of a dancing mood. For students who are underage or prefer being surrounded by nature, Spring Lake is the place to be. Located approximately 15 minutes from campus, this popular spot provides beautiful scenery and a great way to relax and forget about the stress from classes. It's a great place for fishing and has several hiking trails to explore. Overall, WIU is a great university to attend. The campus is easy to navigate, the professors are friendly and genuinely care about the students' education, and there are plenty of clubs and activities to provide students with a fun atmosphere while gaining an education. Western is ultimately great due to its diversity and its ability to offer something to anyone from any background.

Susan

Western Illinois University is a positive, encouraging, and inspiring place to be. Professors, classmates, and other faculty are dedicated to preparing students to be successful in any of their future endeavors. Each day we are challenged in and outside of the classroom to be better students, citizens, and all around people.

Marco

Its an okay school. Most of the academic opportunities relevant to me I have to go out of my way to get them because it seems that the university doesn't care about the study of foreign languages. But that is okay because I have learned to work that much harder and become that much more independent.

Crystal

Western Illinois University was sufficient and reasonably affordable. It's definitely known as a party school, which is not exactly why I went there. I do wish I'd pushed myself and applied to a more competitive and intellectual environment, but I did meet people and have fun.

Claudia

I attend a smaller campus of Western Illinois University-Quad Cities in Moline. It is nice and small and makes me feel really comfortable. the teachers are always ready to respond and help, and the class sizes are small enough to make strong connections with peers and professors. Although the overall "college life" is not included in this campus, the academics are amazing.

Alexus

I think Western Illinois is a great school but I think they need to improve the campus and campus safety a little more. The campus dorms don't even look like how much they cost. The campus also needs improvement on campus safety. There are shrubs and trees surrounding the campus walkways and its kind of creepy. A lot of the emergency call boxes are out of order and they don't have cameras on them either. I feel that if Western improves one of these two things the campus will be perfect.

Melanie

Good campus. Small enough to walk around easily.

Arri

I like this school. Everyone is very nice and welcoming to each other. The academic programs are great also. The teachers help you inside and outside the classroom. There are plenty of services provided like counseling, tutoring and so much more. You can make friends that will last a lifetime here.

Claire

WIU is bigger university located in a rural small town. There's very little to do besides drink, hang out, and go to Walmart. Although I do prefer the city life, you could never get the experiences there like you do here at WIU. We're like family.

Beth

I think its a great school and think it would be really nice to go there!

Courtney

Attending WIU has been a wonderful experience and i strongly encourage any ambitious student to attend. There are many academic and extracurricular opportunities. It is a fun place be but will keep you focused on your schooling with its excellent professors.

Erin

Very good college to attend. Affordable yet still good for academics. A lot of financial aid was provided to me and a few scholarships making this school affordable. I have made many friends here that I plan on keeping around even after graduation. College friends are for life.

Ian-Anthony

It has its flaws and has a somewhat rundown campus. If you play football the campus will favor you over everyone as perusal but the academic opportunities are amazing. If you need somewhere to go or people to be around it'd divers enough that you will find someone, or someone will eventually find you.

J'Len

It's a nice school if you are looking for a decent college experience with bare minimum city/town exploration. The food and dorms are not great, but bearable. If you can make it past your first year you should be set because the dorms are very similar as you move into the upper class-men dorms- and of course the food is about the same. The factor that will play a big part in you appreciating the school is the people you'll meet. Everyone here is aware of the conditions but appreciative of them and the community created in them.

Paige

I feel that there could be better staffing when it comes to the teaching staff. I just do not feel the care from the professors that I think every college student should feel. This is our future we are talking about, so the professors should really care about shaping our minds and our lives all for the better.

Sara

Lots of people have bad things to say about WIU, but they only look at the bad things. The dining halls aren't the best but we still eat there so they can't be that bad. We have some less than average professors, but all the others are amazing. Give WIU a try, come on a tour and see our university for yourself! Hopefully, we'll be peers soon!

Kylee

I love Western and I am so happy it is my home away from home. The people are wonderful and always willing to help and there's always ways to get involved. I have found a very supportive community here between my professors and the advisors I have acquired throughout my time here.

Alyssa

After spending my first year of college at Western Illinois University, I can truly say this is a great college. I would not have wanted to spend my first year anywhere else. I rate the school four stars because of the friendly environment, great teachers and many activities on campus. One important thing to talk about is the school spirit. It is phenomenal, especially coming from a school with no school spirit, to see people with so much pride about their sports teams and school. The school has a variety of food ranging from pizza, to subs, to breakfast at all times of the day. Also, the counselors do not get enough credit. They fully understand what you are dealing with and give you the advice you need. The counselors recognize the process and confusion of figuring out your major. One of the most important reasons why I chose this school is because of the campus security. The security genuinely cares about people’s safety. No matter what time of the day or night, they will be there to help you if you feel unsafe. The only downfall that I have encountered is where the school is located. There is not many things to do in the community because it is such a small town. Other than that one problem, the school is great. I recommend it to everyone who is unsure where to go and no matter where you come from, the school has a comfy feeling that always welcomes you and makes you feel safe and at home.

Michelle

Overall, this school is OK. The freshmen dorms are not the greatest, but they aren't terrible either. The food isn't good, but we do have a couple of different options. As for the community, there isn't much to do. It is a rural area, but we do have a couple of stores around town. The weekends could definitely be fun!

Ashely

I love it, i´ll be going to school there next fall and I´m excited to be a part of the Leatherneck community. I was recently there for Biology Day which was super fun! The people there are so friendly and helped me out when I needed to get somewhere, the professors I was able to meet we´re really nice and explained their class and how it goes. Overall Western is great place and I can´t wait to be a part of it.

Michelle

I enjoy attending classes at Western Illinois University. The instructors are friendly and helpful. My adviser is great. I live an hour from the campus, and my adviser helps me work my schedule to minimize my commuting days. The students are friendly. I'm impressed by the willingness to smile and say hello. The library has 6 floors - 2 of which are quiet study floors. There's various opportunities to get involved with countless clubs. I'm really glad I chose this university rather than a much larger one.

Catherine

A very average college. Nothing too special. Good teachers and bad teachers. Easy classes and hard classes. Lots of partying. not very safe. Most students don not care about their grades. Located in a small town with not very much to do. Lots of on campus activities and organizations to join. Friendly staff.

Chyanne

I think that WIU is a good school to attend as an undergraduate. There are plenty of on campus activities to get into to that will definitely keep you busy, lots of people to network with, and generally a positive energy around. If you are thinking about a good community and opportunities to branch yourself out then WIU can definitely be a good home away from home for you.

Jenna

Western Illinois University is a mid sized university of around 11,000 people it is located in a small town called Macomb, Illinois with a population of around 5,000 people. It has fairly small class sizes usually containing around 30 students with few lecture classes containing 40-100 students. It is very easy to get to know your professors however in this small town it is hard to find things to do besides sports and party.

Nora

My first trip to Western was simply a coincidence due to a school function that was going on there. I had not yet considered the college as one of my choices for attending the following fall, but when I stepped on campus I enjoyed every moment of being there. Walking around the quad was such an ah-ha moment when I saw all that Western had to offer, the friendliness of fellow students, and the staff's eagerness to help. I'm so thankful I came to the college and discovered my home away from home.

Nikos

The school would have been a good fit for me 5 years ago. Now, it is going down the drain. The only reason I came to Western was for their Geology/Paleontology program and the professor that taught it. They laid of that professor along with 130 other faculty members. The campus is not that great, the dining and housing are poor. Unless you plan on going into law enforcement, DO NOT go to Western Illinois University right now. The president of the university, Jack Thomas, is failing and causing the university to fail. Programs are getting cut, and I see no end in sight, so I am transferring to a different school next year. Western lost amazing faculty, and is now loosing students due to the cuts. I cannot in good faith recommend WIU to anyone.

Brent

Western Illinois University is an amazing university. It is the perfect size. It's small enough that you aren't overwhelmed and get to know a lot of people, but also big enough that you get the college experience. Faculty are extremely nice, and are experts in their field. There is a variety of sports, and plenty of intramural opportunities as well. Western Illinois University sets you up for success.

Aaron

Western Illinois University is a premier institution. Despite the financial struggle of the state of Illinois, WIU continues to bring in outstanding faculty that clearly love their field and their job. When it comes to student life, There are so many organizations that any student could find at least two to get heavily involved in. The university is also extremely military friendly and all political ideologies are respected and discussed. The facilities could use some work, but the administration continues to put the limited budget into more important aspects of student life (such as outstanding faculty, student organization funding, and campus safety) I'm proud to be a Leatherneck and wouldn't go anywhere else! Neck up!

Destiny

My first semester I wasn’t really up for the college life, but going into second semester I realized Western is very fun and I plan to stay all 4 years and partake in what Western has to offer. Western has so many organizations and events that you will never get bored.

Vanessa

My overall opinion is that WIU is an awesome campus with a faculty and staff that will help tremendously. They provide many different programs and clubs all over campus. There will be something for you to do here and find people who you can share amazing memories with!

Matthew

Western Illinois has some befits and plenty of flaws. If you enjoy partying, this is the school for you. But if your intent is to have a motivational community, go somewhere else. Most of the students here are only here to have fun and don't take school seriously.

Diana

It's not a bad place, I mean if you like the country and also driving an hour to go to the nearest mall. The town of Macomb needs to add more stores, and before you commit to WIU, I strongly recommend vising. Join a lot of clubs, keeps your mind off the town. Go Greek! Best decision of my life!

Tatyana

I believe Western Illinois University has a perfect little community like atmosphere where pretty much everyone has seen one another. It's a great place to build long lasting relationships. I met my best friend here being my roommate. So far Western has been treating me well. I honestly could not see myself attending elsewhere. This is my second home.

jada

It’s a very big campus and you’ll always meet great new people. The teachers are very helpful and amazing. Everyone helps everyone around and they are very friendly, I’m glad I selected to attend western in the fall and cannot wait to get started soon n.

Jean-Marc

Attending Western Illinois University was a great idea, I have been here for years and have made great connections with great people, through the ups and downs I have been able to be supported by my potential friends for life and I also have supported them, there were some tough times on campus but all in all it was a great choice to attend Western Illinois University.

Tyler

Western Illinois has a very tight niche of people that would be attracted. The average person looking in would not see much. This campus is respectable in size but the dullness and small town feel is not for everyone. Isolation is something to keep in mind when coming to this school.

Randy

Western Illinois is a great school. They have great teachers, a wonderful university, and I feel excited about going there in the future. They have good athletics and are proud of all their teams. They are one of the best broadcasting schools in the country and have a great criminal justice program too.

Brittanee

Western Illinois University is a smaller university that creates a small town but college atmosphere. The size allows you to know most of your peers and be involved in multiple activities. The staff on campus are always friendly and very helpful. The campus is very open to activities and any set up that will help get more students involved.

Joseph

I think Western Illinois University is a tremendous school for someone that is looking to take academics seriously, as well as have some fun. The school is filled with professors that are very enthusiastic about their areas of teaching, which is critical to many students.

Sara

WIU is my second home! Although there are both good and bad people everywhere, WIU has some GREAT people:) The faculty are available to help with the strict academics, the upperclassmen are welcoming and helpful, the school spirit (even if we are not too good at sports) makes all the games loads of fun! Go necks!

Demarco

I honestly believe WIU is a great school the only thing i think needs to improve is school spirit. Sporting events gets next to no support. I am a huge sporting fan so its kind of sad to see that the sports teams get no support from its own school. Other than that i would recommend my school to any and everyone!!

I love it! Overall everyone is super kind and friendly and the staff is always there to help! The school also provides extracurricular events that students can attend and have a good time. For example, they usually host a concert every year for a very low cost of 10$ and it is a great time!

Tiara

Western Illinois University overall is an okay school. The professors are nice and will offer help to anyone who needs it, as long as you are putting forth 100% effort in their class. There are a lot of students who join sororities and fraternities so Greek life is quite alive. I lived on campus my freshmen year and have always felt safe walking around campus late at night. There are even on campus police officers who will escort you to wherever you need to be to ensure your safe. The food on campus is okay, but it depends on which dining you hall you go to because each one serves different meals each night. Next, the dorm rooms. The dorm rooms are small, but it is an okay size if you do not have a lot of things to put in your dorm. The only problem I had with my room was the A/C because of it not working correctly majority of the time. My bathroom on my dorm floor would be filthy, which would equal in floor meetings or floor fines. There were only two good showers in the bathroom, while the others either had a high pressure, or the water would be cold. However, I have met some amazing people that I can see lifelong friendships with, and they have also helped me with my college experience. I came into college shy and not really open to talking to anyone to breaking out of my shell and becoming more friendly and interactive with my peers. My class sizes have been okay for the most part, and the work has been okay also. It is nothing you can't handle as long as you study and make sure to stay on top of assignments. I have had a good experience at Western so far, and I am returning as a sophomore hoping for bigger and better things to come!

Matt

My overall opinon of Western Illinois is that it is a good atmpsphere to be around and there are alot of kind, frendly people but there isn't alot to do around there. There isn't a mall or anything. So if you decide to attend here you better have some friends that are going or make some new ones because it will get a little boring. Yes the parties are great.

Courtney

They aren't the best school to attend because they don't give their student enough information on resources. Learning is pretty much on you too. Western don't provide as much as they should. If it wasn't for youtube and google I wouldn't have passed my classes.

Gabrielle

I love it there! The class sizes are perfect, and I actually feel like my professors are willing to dedicate time to my learning! I have made a lot of accomplishments throughout my journey there! I am even getting involved in making the school a better place for students myself!

Mark

For the love of god don't come here unless you want an easy degree and like to party. If you are at all intelligent or even vaguely competent this is not the school for you. Many of the faculty members that cared are gone and the ones left who used to care don't care anymore because we all know this is a sinking ship.

Esperanza

I was a visitor at Western. My experience was overall great. Even though the campus is very huge but you will get used to getting around. They talked bout having Advisors for each student where they will help every student stay on track to accomplish their goal and academics.

Nakiara

I love Western. This is a place I didn't think I would like a first because it was far from home, its in a very small town, and in order to have a good time you really have to get out of your comfort zone and get out of your room. My first day was move-in day, there were actual students to help you out and give you tips and pointers on what to expect for your first week/weekend of college. There is a whole celebration for everybody where you can meet people from your grade or other upperclassmen. Later on, in your first week, there is a picnic where you can walk around to different tables of different organizations or activities where you can join. And the sorority life is always visible! Class is a discussion held almost all the time because a lot of people know that in order to have a good time all of your work needs to be done! The unofficial motto set by WIU students is Play Hard Work Even Harder!

Alycia

Western Illinois seems to have a safe environment for all their students, to develop their education. As a visitor I noticed quite a bit about how the school is ran, and I am impressed! My overall opinion on Western Illinois University is that it is a good school for people to expand their education.