Western Illinois University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Western Illinois University

Western Illinois University is a great college. They provide so many opportunities for their students. Their study abroad program is excellent. They are always there for you when you need help when looking into, getting ready, and when you are already abroad. They also have a great department available that helps students with mental illnesses and anxiety. This is a free program available to all students. Mental health is extremely important to WIU. They also have a great library that can meet all of your research needs. If they do not have the book, they will get it for you from another library. They provide many different academic programs. Their history and anthropology departments are amazing and offer classes in many different fields. Their academics programs have clubs and other social events for students to meet others in their field of study. They provide great graduate programs for many to go into specialty fields. They opened a new program a few years ago where Anthropology majors can now fast track from their bachelors to their masters in Museum Studies with one extra year of school. The campus is very safe, as well. On the weekends they provide security on the buses that are students from the Law Enforcement and Justice Administration program. They also provide escorts on campus for any students who are walking home from the library late for free. They will meet you and walk with you to your destination. Western Illinois University is a safe, opportunistic campus.

Mitch

I'd always thought of my future growing up, but never considered where I might go to college until my Junior year of high school when our teachers began encouraging us to look into such things. Eventually, I found myself at Western Illinois University's website when I was searching for colleges that offered degrees in things I was interested in. I immediately knew I found the right college for me and became even more sure of that after my college visit and then SOAR. When I'm at WIU I feel like I found a second home. I highly recommend anyone going to college in Illinois or any surrounding states look into Western Illinois UNiversity as a possible college choice.

Savannah

western is a great school for someone who is looking for a small class size, engaging teachers, and a well spread out campus. my favorite thing about the school is the teachers I have so many times been working on an assignment late at night and get stuck or don't understand the instructions thoroughly and my teachers will email me if not the same night definitely early the next morning. western is in a small town but still you can never be bored. between the students and faculty there are always many different activities to hit everyone's likes, and groups/ organizations that include everyone. sometimes you think that because your new that no one will like the same things as you or you wont find a place to "fit in", but western made it really easy to find places to spike your interest and help you find other things to try. overall i think its a great place for learning and a great place to make everlasting memories,

Angelique

I love Western Illinois University. Despite the fact that enrollment is down, those who truly like Western will never forget it. Class sizes are on the smaller end, which gives you the opportunity to converse with your classmates and teachers. If you get involved on campus, I believe that assists how great your experience is.

Tyrell

I love my school!!! Since, I have been a student at Western Illinois University, I have been able to meet new people and engage with my professors in a great way. The culture is diverse and I feel supported in my classes.

Jamaira

Western is a very diverse school with a lot of ethnicities. The Square is a great place to hang out or grab a bite with friends and family. Macomb is a very small community , so for those who get distracted, there isn't much to do. Western has a lot of options for majors and minors.

Mackenzie

For the most part Western Illinois University, is a home away from home to me. There are tons of activities for students and staff to partake in. There are always smiling faces and helping hands. The teachers have regular office hours and some even help you out in the night hours if needed.

I love how Western has such a family and home like atmoshphere. Every professor will make sure you get the best education possible from them, and are usually always available as needed. The dorms are a pretty good size when compared to other schools, and the food is very good with healthier options daily specials, grills stations, fruit, soup, and salad bars, and much more.

Kyle

Overall, I enjoy attending WIU. I get to be involved in recreational clubs, make new friends, and work toward my major. I now that some departments appear to need to be updated like a remodel but it doesn't affect our studies. There is always activities to be involved in which is great.

Dailey

I have attended Western Illinois University for a year now, and within that year, I can say my life has been transformed. My overall experience with Western has been very surprising. In the beginning, other students discussed how Western was a poor place to attend due to it being run down and cheap. Coming here might be a mistake. I was offended until I came to understand why people had said those things. However, I chose to attend Western because of the wonderful things I had heard about their law enforcement programs. Not only did I choose this college for academics, but I wanted to see the world outside of my hometown. The experience I’ve had here is more than I would have experienced in my own town. I have made friends that were willing to study while making time to go out and adventure. There are several organizations with events or other activities going on. The University Union has movie weekends and the multicultural center has a multitude of activities. The only things that I would like to see improve are the amount of students that attend Western, a change in the dining hall food, and the way the school prices their food. Over all I rate Western Illinois University a 4/5. The academics are very good, but the friends that I have made are even more memorable.

Divahna

I really enjoy Western Illinois University. However, I do wish they had more opportunities for homeless students or students who are in no financial standing to pay off the fees right away. I also wish they would be able to receive more funding to do more and also to expend on tings they use to have. I also wish their were more things available in options in the grocery stores.