Bowling Green, KY
Western Kentucky University

Brandi

How I can describe my school in one sentence would be that this school is very rewarding, we learn so much from our professors and people here are wanting to see you graduate and help you get to the next level of our education.

The unique thing at this school is that it is very diverse and I'm not use to seeing so many foreign people. I have learned that so many people are from different states or from over seas and they decide to come here to Kentucky and go to college and further their education.

The advice I would give myself would be that college isn't a joke, do your work and not procrastinate, the professors won't treat you like your in high school because you're in college, you're an adult, it's your responsibility to do the work and turn it in on time and when it is due.

Andrew

My classmates were very fun, energetic, and cared a great deal about their education.

When I was a high school senior all I cared about was playing football. I thought that is what I was going to do in college, so I didnt study and take my education very serious. Then one game during my senior season, I suffered a career ending knee injury. This devastated me to the point of depression because I could no longer do what I loved and all my dreams were now gone. I decided to go to college anyway because that's what people said was the right thing to do, I wasn't so sure. My first semester was tough, I really didn't know how to study. After my first semester I told myself that I would strive for success and be the very best student that I possibly could, so I did. It wasn't easy but I worked very hard and now I have a master's degree and I am working on my doctorate degree. If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would explain to myself that sports is not everything, education is much more important and preparing yourself for life through education is vital.

Western Kentucky offers an excellent atmosphere for students to meet other students. Western Kentucky also has a very high standard for education and this is extremely important when thinking about college. You do want to go to college to meet people and have fun but your number one goal is to receive a high quality education, this is exactly what you will receive at Western Kentucky.

Kimberly

It is a good thing you waited to continue your education. Although three years may seem like a long time, you honestly had no idea what you wanted to do. Although you wasted the three years you took off from school, by working and not saving anything, you managed to continue your education anyway. You're a year into your education at college and it is the best thing that you could have done. My advice to you - it is a good thing you waited.

Jacqueline

As strange as it sounds, I would tell high school self to fail. I would tell her to fail over and over again. Why? Simple, what does a person gain from success besides the satisfactory feeling? Nothing compared to what a person recieves when they fail. When a person fails, they gain knowledge and they gain strength. They gain the knowledge to avoid the same mistake in the future. The high school me was so worried about getting the perfect grades and worried about pleasing everyone else. She was so afraid of failing. When I reflect back on it now, I see that I didn't need to stress out. That even if I had failed in certain things, I would learn how to get back up again and be stronger. So every time my high school self would fail, she would get stronger in the end and she would learn that failing is nothing to be afraid of. Transitioning from high school to college is a scary process that can somtimes be so overwhelming. It is easy to fail or make a mistake during this transition process. So to my high school self, "Don't be afraid to fail."

Dalice

Congratulations! You have officially made it through some of the biggest years of your life. It's sad, getting ready to leave some of your closest friends and family, but you should be more than excited for the opportunities that wait for you! Before you head off, I could tell you multiple words of wisdom for heading out on your own and reaching the best time of your life, but I want to remind you of one thing. Mainly, I want you to be able to remember who you are. You are about to be thrown into a life where people have come from different home lives, religions, and view points on life. Take advantage of the differences and learn, but don't forget your background as well. Don't feel as though you must be ashamed of what you know and believe, but embrace who you are and be open to the new. Challenge what you believe and listen to others. Grow up as a young woman who can stand for herself and you will be rewarded through your college experience more than you could possibly imagine!

I wish I had known a little bit more about the Honors College and the advantages of being apart of it. The Honors College is for students with a high GPA and well rounded with leadership, extra curricular activities, and volunteer work. It allows you to take harder classes to challenge yourself and also smaller to provide more personal time with professors. The College also opens the door to research opportunities and the possibility to study abroad in your undergraduate school.

Anybody and everybody should attend Western. The school prides itself on being diverse, but yet a close family. We are a big enough university to provide great opportunities, but we are small enough to provide a community you cannot find anywhere else. Just like our mascot, the Hilltopper, we are unique. If you are a person who wants to challenge yourself, meet others who are like you, and have your eyes open to a group of people different from you, Western is the perfect place.

Carson

It seems like a great school. Wish there was more to do in town though.

It seems like a great school. Wish there was more to do in town though.

Mostly white but there is a variety of different types of people.

It seems more like a party school than most, however you can get a really great education here.

Paul

The stereotype that is associated with Kentucky (any of the Kentucky schools) is that the students are "hillbillies." That stereotype comes from the way that southerners are portrayed in the media. However, WKU is a very diverse school with a lot of academic opportunities and intramural sports clubs and out of 2000 universities, WKU is ranked 787!

Ethan

The advice I would give myself as a senior would be to work harder in High School, to be prepared for the College Classes. I would also have taken more Duel Credits. At home and in high school my parents were the main decision makers, so I wish I would have became more involved with that, as I struggled a bit at first, with scheduling classes. I also would have told myself to attend all informational sessions at the college, and make as many friends as possible, as I am a shy person.. I would say to think outside the box. Dont be afraid to be away from your family, keep yourself busy with school and other activities, and the most imprtant thing to relieve stress from myself and my family is to stay in touch frequently. Just call or skype them to say Hello. Invite family to the events that you are allowed to..

WKU is called the Hilltoppers for a reason.. Everything is straight up the hill.

WKU Hilltoppers is a community type setting, with plenty to do. The education that you will recieve , goes above and beyond . Classes are are small, the sky is the limit for learning. There are numerous extracurricular activities to occupy your time. There are many clubs and orginizations to join, or just to attend public activities. WKU has excellent sports programs for males and females . The library and tutors are always there for you. Every person I have had contact with, from Admissions, Financial Aid, and Housing personel has been very professional and informative. Thirsty for knowledgem quench it with WKU..

Cassandra

There are three steps to success in college: 1)Go to class. 2)Have your work finished. 3)Make friends. I know you don’t think our social life is imperative to your academic life, but what you will learn is that exchange of ideas with your peers helps you grow. Hearing from others will expand your own creativity and life perceptions. Don’t be afraid to speak!

The construction - but it looks pretty

Gabrielle

Western Kentucky University is a school that is very diverse, and has a beautiful campus.

The school is best known for its School of Journalism. The school of Journalism is number one in the country, and has won countless awards from journalism, advertising, public relations, and so on. It is highly renown, and people come from all over the country to attend this certain division of the school.

If I could go back and tell myself about college life, I'd tell myself to calm down. I came to realize that college is very challenging, but I have prepared myself for college by being an excellent student from kindergarden through senior year of high school. I would tell myself that I can handle what is coming, and even though I need to prepare for an intense year, it will not be as bad at it seems. The one negative thing I would tell myself is that you have a lot of freedom, and you need to use it wisely. I did very well my first year of college, all A's and B's, but I could still have studied harder. I would have told myself to be even more responsible than I thought I should be, and to study before hanging out with friends.

Western Kentucky University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.