Bowling Green, KY
Western Kentucky University

Paul

The stereotype that is associated with Kentucky (any of the Kentucky schools) is that the students are "hillbillies." That stereotype comes from the way that southerners are portrayed in the media. However, WKU is a very diverse school with a lot of academic opportunities and intramural sports clubs and out of 2000 universities, WKU is ranked 787!

Ethan

The advice I would give myself as a senior would be to work harder in High School, to be prepared for the College Classes. I would also have taken more Duel Credits. At home and in high school my parents were the main decision makers, so I wish I would have became more involved with that, as I struggled a bit at first, with scheduling classes. I also would have told myself to attend all informational sessions at the college, and make as many friends as possible, as I am a shy person.. I would say to think outside the box. Dont be afraid to be away from your family, keep yourself busy with school and other activities, and the most imprtant thing to relieve stress from myself and my family is to stay in touch frequently. Just call or skype them to say Hello. Invite family to the events that you are allowed to..

WKU is called the Hilltoppers for a reason.. Everything is straight up the hill.

WKU Hilltoppers is a community type setting, with plenty to do. The education that you will recieve , goes above and beyond . Classes are are small, the sky is the limit for learning. There are numerous extracurricular activities to occupy your time. There are many clubs and orginizations to join, or just to attend public activities. WKU has excellent sports programs for males and females . The library and tutors are always there for you. Every person I have had contact with, from Admissions, Financial Aid, and Housing personel has been very professional and informative. Thirsty for knowledgem quench it with WKU..

Cassandra

There are three steps to success in college: 1)Go to class. 2)Have your work finished. 3)Make friends. I know you don’t think our social life is imperative to your academic life, but what you will learn is that exchange of ideas with your peers helps you grow. Hearing from others will expand your own creativity and life perceptions. Don’t be afraid to speak!

The construction - but it looks pretty

Gabrielle

Western Kentucky University is a school that is very diverse, and has a beautiful campus.

The school is best known for its School of Journalism. The school of Journalism is number one in the country, and has won countless awards from journalism, advertising, public relations, and so on. It is highly renown, and people come from all over the country to attend this certain division of the school.

If I could go back and tell myself about college life, I'd tell myself to calm down. I came to realize that college is very challenging, but I have prepared myself for college by being an excellent student from kindergarden through senior year of high school. I would tell myself that I can handle what is coming, and even though I need to prepare for an intense year, it will not be as bad at it seems. The one negative thing I would tell myself is that you have a lot of freedom, and you need to use it wisely. I did very well my first year of college, all A's and B's, but I could still have studied harder. I would have told myself to be even more responsible than I thought I should be, and to study before hanging out with friends.

The students in my classes come from different backgrounds and from all across the world. I enjoy the variety of ideas and creativity that flow from all the different students. I am from Bowling Green, Kentucky. In highschool, I was in classes with people who were just like me. It is interesting to be in college classes with such a variety of students.

Personally, I love the tons of organizational opportunities. If you come to WKU, it's almost guaranteed you will find a club or student organization that interests you. There are so many opportunities for students to become involved on campus.

Dear High School Self, I want to advise you to not be so nervous about starting college. You are going to love college life. You are going to make many great friends and memories. You will get through this big transition from high school to college. I advise you to look ahead, but to still focus on the current semester. Do not worry so much about when you are graduating or if you will get done in four years. It will all work out for the best. I want to tell you that you are capable of doing this. Also, do not be so quick to turn down opportunities for new friends, new experiences. Believe in yourself more and you will be fine. You should not worry about whether you can handle a certain class. You get an A in Western Civilization Since 1648, therefore you can get an A in any other class you take! Just take risks, and I promise it will be worth it. You have your family and friends right there by your side, who believe in you more than you even believe in yourself. Sincerely, College Self

VAL

WKU is a diverse, interesting, but simple place with a little bit of everything that a person could be looking for.

Caps tossed in the air Celebrations begin In a flash you’ll enter another world You think you know who you are You think you have control But trust me when I say Everything will be challenged What you think makes sense no longer will What you thought you had will threaten to go You’ll teeter on edge as the wind comes to blow And facts you think have been subdued will rise again with a daring face ...but relax This isn’t meant to scare You choose Life will find solid ground once more As a college freshman, I clearly remember High School but I'm now engrossed in college life. It really is as amazing as people say. However, it takes work and effort. You must put the effort into making it another "home" and somewhere you feel comfortable. Nothing is handed to you here. Everything is earned one way or another. Leaving High School can be scary, and for some, more so than others. Be brave and step out of your comfort zone. College is about experimenting and expanding your life. Remember who you are, and who you want to be, but enjoy yourself.

WKU has a diverse population. People from all over Kentucky attend as well as out of state. The International students are all really great people as well as a lot of fun. Classes are simple, not too hard but still challenging with variations in major, and there is a wide variety so you can experiment and determine just what you want to major in. Extracurricular activies also cover a wide range from sports to volunteer to music. There's something for everyone if you look in the right place. Many possibilities for growth and expansion await atop top "the hill".

Sabina

Sabina, make sure you are searching online for scholarships and grants, you know exactly why you are attending university. Plan to study abroad. Also dont forget that college is not only time for studying, but also making life long friends, meeting people with the same hobbies and interest as yours. Experiencing exciting and amazing new things. When scheduling for classes, make sure that the distance between the buldings that your classes will be in are close When scheduling for classes make sure that the distance between the bultings that your classes will be in are close enough to each other, so you get to the class at a time and wont suffer and run from one place to another and come in to the class breathing hardly. And always remember," "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." — Nelson Mandela

The campus, professors and the variety of students. So far I just love the way everything is set up in my university!

That college is so much fun even with tons of homework,studying, projects, important most of the time 4 exams and finals!

Daniel

My school isn't based in a large city so it seems to be more personal. The campus and buildings aren't spread out over a downtown area, they are all together.

I have a gained a new sense of freedom and of responsibility. I am responsible for getting to class and getting my assignments done. I am responsible for doing the right thing and staying out of trouble. It is a good stepping stone for learning to live on my own, away from my parents and those who have nurtured me my whole life.

I tell them about how beautiful the campus is. I brag of how close knit the campus feels. We have some great food. We have great services for the students. We have a pretty awesome gym facility.

I've made some very close friends here at WKU. I've never had school spirit in my entire life. I never cheered at any highschool sporting events, but here I can't help but have pride in my school. I don't feel like I'm forced to be here and I love it.

I think the best thing about WKU is the spirit. We have our strange beloved mascot that brings out the Hilltopper in all of us.

Coming from Cincinnati, Ohio Bowling Green is TINY in comparison. Sometimes I feel a little trapped.

Chelsea

As a college student, I have become more independent, and learned to take on my own responsibilities. Also, I've learned how to stay organized and focused, and have found the best and most effective ways to study and be successful. Besides the academic take on things, I've also learned very valuable people skills. Before coming to college, I was a quiet and shy individual, but since coming to college, I've become so much more outgoing and involved. Living on a college campus has opened my eyes to new opportunities and new people, and I've learned how to react and deal with the trickiest situations.

The campus is beautiful, there are always activities to do, and people walking around. Almost everyone you meet you can talk to-a very friendly campus.

Western Kentucky University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.