Bowling Green, KY
Western Kentucky University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Western Kentucky University

Katie

The school I attend is mainly motivated by sports and greek life, has a small art community that I am proud to be a part of, and always means well to support the arts, but doesn't always deliver.

Because I spend all of my time with fellow artists, I can say that they are mainly consumed with recieving a diploma to graduate but never seem to be strongly passionate about art itself.

To get the most out of your college experience I feel that it's very important to carefully choose your college. Personally, my dream is to eventually attend an art school and recieve a Bachelor's degree there. One of my professors once told me to "go all the way" and not to "settle" for something mediocre. I think that was probably some of the best advice given to me. He told me to try as hard as I can to earn the money I needed to go to a good school. I believe that as hard as I've worked since then has definitely paid off, but I also always keep in mind that being relaxed and focusing on my social life is the only way I'll stay sane. Stressing over school 24/7 leads to lower grades and headaches. I take the time I need for my personal artwork and relationships as well. I believe that during college people begin to know themselves better. Confidence in yourself is impossible to achieve with your head in the books all of the time. You have to have all of the ingredients to make the best of your college career.

Ross

Great Journalism program. Great distance from home (100+ miles). Campus not too big, not too small.

Find a school that is strong in your major. Try to lock in on the RIGHT major before starting school. Do this by taking classes in high school that let you know if the major is right, or not. Work hard, because re-taking a class to imporve your grade is just a waste of time. Do it right the first time.

Andrew

The classes are mostly easy and the parties and tailgating are awesome.

The classes are mostly easy and the parties and tailgating are awesome.

Allow your child to go where he/she wants to go without any bias opinions. Every school parties and thats just part of it, so allow your child to choose the right college according to their major of interest.

Some one who seeks an eduction, but wants to live a fulfilled life.

Teri

WKU is a beautiful campus with a rotton core.

WKU is a beautiful campus with a rotton core.

The majority of my classmates are an intelligent, independent, and mostly straightforward mix of locals and out-of-towners,, with surprisingly heavy international numbers.

First off: Pack duct tape - it will always come in handy. As for finding the right college, look into the college's "unofficial" history, along with the university's personal literature - look at back issues of the college's newspaper, publications from the town or city itself, and students' personal websites. This background information not only allows you a variety of information on the school, but allows you to get a feel for the student's perspective on particular events or moves made by the college that the official website may not feel it prudent to include. To make the most of your college experience, stay open to new people - it's no good living in a resident hall if you've always got your door closed. Make it a point to make friends with your neighbors - they're in the same boat you are, and can make your first year at college the most memorable. Be as prepared as you can, whether that means an endless supply of Raman noodles or the best first-aid kit in the building. Invariably, something will go wrong, and being prepared is the difference between misery and the time of your life.

Kelley

The classmates at WKU are helpful, pretty nice, and social.

The classmates at WKU are helpful, pretty nice, and social.

I have some common advice to give to prospective students. When you go visit a college, be truthful to yourself. Ask yourself where you think you would fit in. Could you really see yourself in the classrooms, at the gym, in the dorms of that particular college? If the answer is 'yes' than that school is for you. Once you have narrowed it down to 2 or 3 schools, think about scholarship opportunities, distance, and the type of field you want to go into. There are many schools that could be right for you. You can't make a bad choice. After all, it is all a learning experience. Don't stress about it. Wherever you go, you will learn something that will lead you to the rest of your life. Wherever you go, you will have the opportunity to succeed.

The best thing about WKU is the closness between students. This is a very close-knitt school. Even though WKU is getting more and more popular, Everybody seems to know who everyone else is. It makes going here completely comfortable.

Johnna

Our school is best known for specific programs such as our School of Broadcasting and Journalism and also is known for our school spirit along with our mascot Big Red. The scenery and beauty of the campus is one of the first things people mention when they first come to visit.

My advice is if your child already knows what they would be interested in for a major then picking a school based off of that particular major would be a wise choice. Taking college tours is one of the most helpful descision makers out there. When you take a tour of a prospect school at the end you can almost tell whether or not you would picture yourself being there. As for making the most of your college experience joining organiziations that you are passionate about or getting out of your comfort zone to try new things and meet new people are very helpful ways to make the most out of the college years. There are thousands of people on a campus and by being open-minded it will be easy to make friends. You learn so much about your school when you attend different functions put on by different groups that it makes you more aware of what is actually on your campus. College is in fact what you make of it so although it can be difficult it can also be some of the most memorable years in your life.

The friendly people is probably one of the best things about school. Most of the students at Western are very personable and although academics is the most important part of college it also helps to have people along the way that you can share experiences with in the classroom and just in free time also.

Shayna

I think there's a small-town feel about the school that makes it really feel friendly and comfortable. There are a ton of non-traditional students, too, which makes the campus even more diverse.

I'd honestly say, "follow your heart." Speaking as a non-traditional student who finished a degree several years after high school, I frequently think about my first college experience and all of the advice I received from everyone around me. While they were all trying to be helpful, in the end, it was my own opinions I should have heeded above all the others. I chose a major that would secure me a job instead of what I really loved. I ended up dropping out and I put off school for several years because I just couldn't choose a field. Two years ago, I finally decided to return to college and ended up in the major I had thought about during my first years as a student. It really doesn't matter if you can get a job or if it makes your parents happy; if you aren't happy, then you won't enjoy your college experience and you won't get the full value of your education and college life.

The best thing about WKU was definitely the professors in my department. They were fantastic and I could always talk to them openly if I had problems or if I just wanted to further discuss what we talked about in class.

Kelly

My classmates are very helpful in the classroom. They are eager to form study groups and help each other out with homework and studying for tests and quizzes. They are also very friendly outside of the classroom, saying hi whenever they might see me on-campus other then in the class. Getting to know my classmates and being nice and friendly with them was a huge help to me and my studies and i highly recommend forming study groups.

The biggest advice I can give to students trying to pick a college is: do not follow your friends to school. It is important to understand that you will meet tons of new people in college, people that may become your new best friends for life. High school friends may not be your friends for life and going to a college just because they are is not a way to find out who you are and is not the best way to enjoy your college experience. I would completely recommend picking an atmosphere that is comfortable to you and matches your educational wantings. The University a student attends will be there home for about 8 months out of the year- pick somewhere that makes you feel at home, safe, comfortable, and most of all will bring out the best in you and your education. Parents, my advice is do not make your child pick a college close to home. They need to step out into the world and make something of themself on their own.

I wish i had known a little more about Kentucky and the smaller counties. I am from the north, Chicago in fact, and i didn't have a clue what people in small towns did for fun. Going home with a few friends from small towns i realized how much fun they had and how much fun i wasnt having being from a big city. I wihs i had known how much someone can learn and do in a smaller town or city.

Western Kentucky University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.