Bowling Green, KY
Western Kentucky University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Western Kentucky University

Johnna

Our school is best known for specific programs such as our School of Broadcasting and Journalism and also is known for our school spirit along with our mascot Big Red. The scenery and beauty of the campus is one of the first things people mention when they first come to visit.

My advice is if your child already knows what they would be interested in for a major then picking a school based off of that particular major would be a wise choice. Taking college tours is one of the most helpful descision makers out there. When you take a tour of a prospect school at the end you can almost tell whether or not you would picture yourself being there. As for making the most of your college experience joining organiziations that you are passionate about or getting out of your comfort zone to try new things and meet new people are very helpful ways to make the most out of the college years. There are thousands of people on a campus and by being open-minded it will be easy to make friends. You learn so much about your school when you attend different functions put on by different groups that it makes you more aware of what is actually on your campus. College is in fact what you make of it so although it can be difficult it can also be some of the most memorable years in your life.

The friendly people is probably one of the best things about school. Most of the students at Western are very personable and although academics is the most important part of college it also helps to have people along the way that you can share experiences with in the classroom and just in free time also.

Shayna

I think there's a small-town feel about the school that makes it really feel friendly and comfortable. There are a ton of non-traditional students, too, which makes the campus even more diverse.

I'd honestly say, "follow your heart." Speaking as a non-traditional student who finished a degree several years after high school, I frequently think about my first college experience and all of the advice I received from everyone around me. While they were all trying to be helpful, in the end, it was my own opinions I should have heeded above all the others. I chose a major that would secure me a job instead of what I really loved. I ended up dropping out and I put off school for several years because I just couldn't choose a field. Two years ago, I finally decided to return to college and ended up in the major I had thought about during my first years as a student. It really doesn't matter if you can get a job or if it makes your parents happy; if you aren't happy, then you won't enjoy your college experience and you won't get the full value of your education and college life.

The best thing about WKU was definitely the professors in my department. They were fantastic and I could always talk to them openly if I had problems or if I just wanted to further discuss what we talked about in class.

Kelly

My classmates are very helpful in the classroom. They are eager to form study groups and help each other out with homework and studying for tests and quizzes. They are also very friendly outside of the classroom, saying hi whenever they might see me on-campus other then in the class. Getting to know my classmates and being nice and friendly with them was a huge help to me and my studies and i highly recommend forming study groups.

The biggest advice I can give to students trying to pick a college is: do not follow your friends to school. It is important to understand that you will meet tons of new people in college, people that may become your new best friends for life. High school friends may not be your friends for life and going to a college just because they are is not a way to find out who you are and is not the best way to enjoy your college experience. I would completely recommend picking an atmosphere that is comfortable to you and matches your educational wantings. The University a student attends will be there home for about 8 months out of the year- pick somewhere that makes you feel at home, safe, comfortable, and most of all will bring out the best in you and your education. Parents, my advice is do not make your child pick a college close to home. They need to step out into the world and make something of themself on their own.

I wish i had known a little more about Kentucky and the smaller counties. I am from the north, Chicago in fact, and i didn't have a clue what people in small towns did for fun. Going home with a few friends from small towns i realized how much fun they had and how much fun i wasnt having being from a big city. I wihs i had known how much someone can learn and do in a smaller town or city.

Quiet in class, ready to learn

Quiet in class, ready to learn

It's not always what you see in the movies. Every kid is different, so don't think it's all like the movies.

How the broadcasting technology was not advance technoloy.

Erica

The advice that I would give to parents and students is to both research the schools their child is interested in attending. They should also take the time out to speak to reprensentives and students to get an idea of the school they will be attending and to makes sure it has the ammenties and things the student desires of the school. Another advice I would suggest is having a college fund or savings set aside for the student to help them through school. Again it would be good to research and look at all the prospects of financial aid, grants, and scholarships so that the students don't have to limit themselves into to having to take out loans. If the student has to take out loans, it's wise to speak to financial aides and ask many questions about the loan. How the student can make most of their college experience is to stay focus and study so that they do well in their classes. They should be actively involved with the school whether working or being part of a club. The last thing I would suggest is stay away from people who aren't focused and negative.

The kind of person who should attend this school is one who likes small schools, small towns, and the country environment.

The most frustrating thing about the school is they always run low on scholarships. You have to end up taking out a loan in order to make it through the school and most of the time they award you with loans instead of more scholarships. The school can also tend to be racist and not open to diversity or people who are apart of the community.

Tyler

Being a "party school" is what most people call Western. However at any college, if you want to go to a party, you will likely find one.

Finding the right college takes time and patience. Knowing who you are as a person will make the biggest difference in your college selection. I learned quickley that college is very different from high school. You must be secure in your beliefs and morals and be ready to stand on your own in a whole new world. Finding the right fit may take more than one visit to the same college as well. I would encourge students to talke with professors and students at the college as well. You will want to know the study life, and social life of the college. Most importantly, don't rush the decision, and listen to your parents. Although you are merging into adulthood, converse with them about their thoughts as well. Believe it or not, they know you pretty well.

That I had better time management skills. They were not well developed until sophomore year.

Every student should go on as many college visits as possible and try to interact with other students to try to figure out which campus is best for them. They should think about cost, social life, extracurricular activities, and of course, academics.

I think the worst thing about the school is the cost of tuition and the meal plan. I feel this way because after greaduation I am now in debt and can't seem to find a job that I feel is paying enough to help me pay for the debts easily.

A person who is very outgoing and who is interested in being around otheres from several different ethnic categories. Also, a person who is school spirited and willing to learn. Someone who doens't mind being around lots of people in small places.

Jason

The attention the faculty give to their students, as well as the tutoring and help available. Also, the dining status is phenomenal.

Parents, you have to let your child begin to be their own person in highschool, so that they do not fall prone to certain social diseases in college, such as drinking and drugs. I know all too many students which have fallen prone to these, all because their parents were so overbearing in highschool, that the freedom of college was far too much for them. Students, you have to do well in highschool, to prepare for college. The curriculum is challenging, but is quite bearable if you study, and keep on top of your classes. Attendence is crucial to success in college; even if it seems that nothing is being accomplished in some classes, or class attendance is non-mandatory, if you don't attend, you won't do well.

I wish I had known more about the extent of the extracurricular activities.

Our basketball team made it to the sweet 16 last year and our mascot "Bit Red" has won the Capital One Mascot of the Year award several times. We also just moved up a division in football and remodeled our stadium. It looks SUPER nice!

I would suggest making a list of all of the colleges you're interested in and why you like them. After visiting each one of them (without friends from home), hopefully one should just stand out and "feel right". Be sure to consider things like class size to accomadate the style of learning that fits you best. Also, does the town fit you? Would you be able to get around and function? Be sure to not make your college decision based on your high school friends, you will make new friends and you don't have to lose the old ones! GET INVOLVED. The only way you're gonig to acclimate to your new environment is by establishing a new active social life. If you continue to drive home every weekend, your new school will never feel like home.

I like the small class sizes. I like that its a big University but doesn't feel as overwhelming as The University of Kentucky. Bowling Green is a nice town with anything I could ever want, without the feel of a huge city.

It has the best housing in the state, for a public university, and it has a pretty good pre-med program as well.

Plan a school visit and try to talk to students that have attended the school for a while to get a good idea of the good and bad things about the school.

Western Kentucky University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.