Bowling Green, KY
Western Kentucky University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Western Kentucky University

Jillian

For parents who are sending their child to college for the first time, my advice is give lots of motivation and encoragement--you can't give enough. Make sure your student is on track and hold them accountable. So many college student do worse than they should in college because no one is pushing them to do their very best. And college, after all, is hard! I have a nervous break down at least once a semester, and then I talk to my parents and they tell me how smart I am and how proud they are. They say, "If college was easy everyone would do it." And they believe in me. For students who are entering college, my advice is work hard ALL week and have fun on the weekends. It is so easy to fall behind in a class. So if you are planning on having a late night out, make sure you finish your work and studying first. And above all do not skip class, because you will reget it.

The best thing about WKU is the courses offered. At WKU the faculty works cery hard to make sure you get what you pay for. Most classes are small, less then 40 people, and the professors really encorage questions and comments from students in class. If ever I have found myself struggling in a class, my professors are happy to meet with me one on one and are willing to spend an adequate amout of time with me to help me understand.

Probably the most frustrating thing for me about WKU are the science facilities. The labs are very old and the equiptment out-dated. I am a biology major so I am always in the science buildings. And the professors do what they can but sometimes our experiments are limited because of the lack of good, functioning equiptment. Plans are underway for a new science facility, but by the time it is finished my class will be graduated.

Amber

Our wonderful School of Journalism and Broadcasting program and the coolest mascot ever, BIG RED! :)

The best advice I can give to parents and/or students about finding the right college is to go and visit. You should always take advantage of orientation days and other focus days. Taking these "college days" allows you see what actually goes on here. You're not just looking at a brochure and crossing your fingers that it looks as good as it does in the pictures. Also, think about what you would want out of a college and then start researching, don't be scared to ask a million questions! I did. Don't just look at one particular thing, make your decision based on what you want. It's that simple! You know what you want, so go for it! As far as making the most of your college exprience goes, well, just never be scared to try anything new! You never know what you might like or actually love! OH! And also, make friends with your professors. They may seem mean and scary, but really...they are there for us. Always remember, everyone is there for us. We are the future! They are just helping us gain the knowledge and exprience we need to be ready.

Any kind of person should attend this school! Western Kentucky has something for everyone.

Keshia

I would give students and parents the advice of surfing the internet and looking into every possibility out there to try and find the best school that is suited to their own individual needs. I would also tell the students to socialize as much as possible once they do enroll in a school, because that will give them the opportunity to meet some really interesting people. I would also tell them not to overdue it, because the outcome that matters the most is how satisfied they are going to be with their education and what their career ends up being in the future, because they will be the one living with their decisions later, and they may not ever have the opportunity to go back to school again, because changes occur as life goes on.

I wish I had known how hard it was going to be to get any financial aid before I came to this school. It is really hard to keep up one's grades in one's classes when one has to constantly work to cover leftover tuition costs. It is really difficult to try and study and keep up with all the classwork when you have to work and go to school and balance all of the other life issues in between. Our school's motto is fill out the fafsa and try to find some scholarships if you can.

The worst thing that I consider about my school is the incapability of the staff to help students decide on a major. I have attended WKU for two consecutive years now and I don't feel that I'm much closer to choosing a major than I was when I originally enrolled. I've pretty much completed most of my general education classes and am now running out of courses to choose from and have been told to basically just pick a major and if you find that you don't like it, continue picking others.

Kaleb

College is what you make of it! There are plenty of schools to choose from and higher education is a can't go wrong option. Choose a school that makes you feel like you are in control of your future and they are just there to guide you along. While you are at school realize that you doing something great. College is nothing more than an empty storyboard waiting for you to fill in the storyline. There will be times where the storyboard gets a little messy and confusing but stay strong and focused on the story's ending. No two storyboards will ever be the same and I promise no storyboard will ever be perfect. It is the ability of the author to regain control of the story that truly makes college special. Get involved and evolve, because college is the time of your life where things start to make sense and lifetime friends and partnerships are formed. Fear finals time and know that everyone will have a nervous breakdown that will make you want to stop the story. Remember every story has a plot, but only great ones have a true happy ending. It's all on you!

To bring an umbrella! It rains quite often and I am from Kansas where it didn't rain all that much. There is no need to know much else because there is always someone there to help you and give assistance or advice if it is needed.

Anyone. The attitude that exists at WKU is just amazing. Saying a certain kind of person should attend this school just isn't right. Anyone can attend and everyone will enjoy it! The diversity of personalities and only makes this university stronger and we only continue to grow.

Finding the right college is essential to a student?s potential career and future. I find that it?s a great bonding experience between parents and their children. I think it brought me and my parents closer together for sure. I am not saying it?s easy because it most certainly is not, but I believe it makes you into a more wise and responsible individual. I encourage parents to be there to help support their child?s decision in school but to also sit back and really listen to their child?s perspective. Students, I will be the first one to admit that your parents will never give you advice if they didn?t think it was for your best benefit, so trust them and their opinions as well. I have learned from my college experiences that life is like a hard juggling act among your academics, friends, activities, and family. I believe to make the most of your college experience, students should get to know their professors and let them know you care about your grades. Earn public speaking skills, make incredible friends for life, and enjoy the years, because trust me; they pass you by so quickly.

I tend to brag a lot about the beauty of my college campus. I just think it?s the perfect combination of buildings and scenery. Since Western Kentucky University is in the south I have to mention the fact that I brag to my Ohio friends about the hospitality of everyone. All students are friendly and very helpful. It?s just a really exciting campus with good hearted students and inspiring faculty. Last but not least the dining services are amazing, I can promise any future student that if you come to WKU, the food will be better than home.

The most frustrating thing at my school would have to be the same as the best. You know that beautiful campus that I brag a lot about? Well yes iit is beautiful but I also get frustrated because it?s also all entirely on a large hill, hence the name Hill toppers. This makes those 8 o' clock in the morning classes at the top of the hill so much fun. I am just guessing now, but I would say that each student who attends WKU probably walks about 5 miles a day when going to classes. Wow huh?

Western Kentucky University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.