Bowling Green, KY
Western Kentucky University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Western Kentucky University

Additional Loan Options

Fixed  rate loan

Fixed  rate loan

sara

A large variety of different peers. A lot from Kentucky and Nashville. The rest of us that are from other states are a little out of place at first.

The freshman girls dorm PFT, although I enjoyed living with a group of 800 girls, the dorm itself needs updates. The campus is beautiful this dorm can be depressing in the winter, rooms are small and bland.

Morgan

My school is best known for having a huge hill on campus! We are, after all, the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers! My school is also known for its great broadcasting program, along with a great program for education majors. Greek life and athletics have also risen in popularity over time. Overall, Western Kentucky University is very well rounded!

The best advice that I would give myself would be to pick a school based solely for me, and not for anyone else. My family and friends played a big role while I was deciding what college I wanted to attend. If my friends and family would have not been there to sway my decision, I could've gone several other places for college. If I went to a different school, I might have liked it better or worse, or even wanted to come to Western Kentucky University! I would also tell my younger self to join in a school organzation right when I first came to school, and not a year later. Belonging to a group really helps to ease the transition of coming to college and I believe that it would've helped me to settle in better and become more comfortable. I am so happy with the way things have turned out and what school I decided to attend. With all the advice in the world, I would never want to change how things have panned out here at my school!

The worst thing about my school would have to be the limited funding available to students for financial aid. The unfriendly nature of people in general is also something I do not like. I absolutely love Western Kentucky University! I don't have many things that I do not like about this school.

Savannah

When I was in high school I was so worried I wouldn't make any new friends, I am very introverted. But I could have saved myself a lot of headaches if I'd known how much more extroverted college makes you. Even on the first day I was invited to join some really fantastic people for a midnight breakfast. Not only that but I ended up being the one to initiate many friendships. College is so freeing, it can be hard, but all that effort you put into it is worth it. I'd also tell myself to try and get a job while I was in high school, not only would this help me save for repaying future loans for schooling, but I'd get more experience for my resume and be more prepared for having to put in a long day's work and also balancing school and a social life. And, lastly, I'd tell myself to enjoy the precious last few months that I got to see my friends everyday. Treasure your friendships but don't let them smother you and prevent you from venturing out on your own.

I wish I had known how helpful AP classes are in high school to prepare you for college, they also give you a fantastic head start. I also wish my high school had prepared me for taxes, budgets, and loans more than they had.

Dedicated students are what compose this school. This school is also full of independent, free-spirited souls who know where they're going in life and will do anything to make it happen.

Noah

Overall Western Kentucky University is overall a pretty decent school. It has good diversity, and not just for the population. I mean that not only is there a diverse population of students, there are also a great variety of majors and minors that are available. So you can experience many different social interactions, and also test the water for possible majors you may want to get. It also has its down sides though. More often than not when the wind is blowing just right it smells strongly of dog food. Besides that and walking up the hill that Western is built on Western is a great school. It is not to large or to small, but just the right size.

One stereotype is that we were and possibly still are one of the biggest party schools in Kentucky. I do not believe this stereotype is true anymore. I believe some students here like to try and keep it alive though.

Karen

This school is basically a suit case school(everyone goes home on the weekends), if you don't party its hard to make friends, and they cater to LBGT and international students more than anyone else.

That they're are wild party going young men and women. I for one have not been to a single party but i feel like i'm the small minority that hasn't.

Gen Eds are more rigorous than my upper level classes and i'm a freshman.

Tyra

The mascot is pretty weird, it is built on a hill, everyone is overly friendly, and we have a steak and shake.

Everyone's advice to you right now means nothing. None of it describes what it is really like. Study like you normally do, make friends like you usually do, and just stay focused. It isn't extra hard and teachers care way more than everyone is making it seem. Though there may be times when you feel like giving up during high school, thinking "if this is hard what is next," don't stress. Stress makes it worse. Just work on time management and organization and you'll be fine. Just do you as you always have, but actually do your work this time! Also, never forget. Your main goal will always be to be happy, don't let anything get in your way of that.

How friendly it is, the low price, and how some of the teachers actually work with you.

Natalie

Western Kentucky University, where the spirit makes the master.

Western Kentucky University, where the spirit makes the master.

Don't waste your time wishing away your senior year. Enjoy the memories you are making with friends you've known for a lifetime, the new friendships you're going to come across this year, and the time you have at home. College is awesome and it's wonderfully scary being on your own and being independent, but you're going to miss the home-cooked meals and seeing your friends every day, and driving the backroads in your little small town. Apply for good schools and be ambitious, but make sure you choose the college that feels like home. Don't settle and work hard for the future you've always dreamed of.

Does your school have a Big Red? No, and that's what is best about my school. Big Red is an embodiment of Western Kentucky University and it's students, and is wonderful at pulling the students and faculty together as one body.

Tyler

I am very young. I graduated from high school in just three years and completed Community College with two Associate Degrees in just one year. Now I am just 18 and am transferring to Western Kentucky University as a Junior and plan to graduate in December 2016. So being a high school senior was just last year for me. My advice would be to work on my time management and organization/prioritization skills. I have Asperger's Syndrome and while the classes are not difficult for me, I sometimes don't do well because I struggle in these areas. I need to find a method or system that will help me so that I can be successful in all areas of my life. Thank you very much for considering me for this scholarship.

I think anyone who lives in the state of Kentucky looking for a public school should consider WKU. It is smaller than the University of Kentucky and University of Louisville, yet offers just as much. Bowling Green is a very nice city and not nearly as crowded as Louisville or Lexington so getting around is a lot easier. The campus is also very nice with a good sense of "Community" rather than "City".

This is hard for me to answer because I am transferring to WKU this year after obtaining two Associate Degrees from the Communiy College System. Right now I do not have any frustrations with the school. The application process and class scheduling has gone very smoothly. So far, the most frustrating thing is that it is in a different time zone from my home (I live in Eastern Kentucky)!

Noelle

Apply for TONS of scholarships, be prepared to not recive adequete finacial aid, and study your rear-end off.

Anyone who has trouble fitting in.

Small town feel, you always see someone you know around campus.

Small town feel, you always see someone you know around campus.

My classmates are driven, passionate, helpful, spirited.

My advice to my high school self would be to come into college with an open mind, dont assume anything is going to be a certain way because college is full of surprises. Be open to trying new things and meeting new people, dont get hung up on the people you know from high school.

Western Kentucky University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.