Bowling Green, KY
Western Kentucky University

grace

the advice that i would tell myself is that Every person who begins a college career has a multitude of reasons for doing so. Some people do it because they are expected to get a college degree. Others do it hoping for a better life than they could have without a college degree. I am not entering college for either of these reasons. I am a high school graduate who believes I can do better than I did. Therefore, my reason for beginning college are some what different than the average person starting college for the first time. I have something to prove to myself. I want to prove that I can earn a college degree.

Tabitha

Dear Little High School Senior Me, I know you're earnestly awaiting your college years to begin, but there are a few things you should hear before you take this incredibly cool, incredibly scary leap into mini adulthood. The first thing I want you to take into account is that you need to prepare. Save your money. College has an endless list of expenses and they only pile up. Education should not be a debt sentence; plan wisely. Second, take time to appreciate your family. There have been so many times sitting in my little cubby-hole dorm room when I've wished that I would have let my parents know how much I love them. Don't take them for granted, because when your first week of your freshman year rolls around, you'll feel lonely and overwhelmed. But they'll always be there for you. The third thing I want you hear is this: work your hardest no matter where you end up. Whether you're at your Plan A school or Plan C school, never stop pursuing your dreams. It doesn't matter where you start. What does? Where you finish. That's up to you.

I mostly brag about the gorgeous weather, our gym facility (it's beautiful, really), the Van Meter auditorium, and the beautifully landscaped campus. I haven't seen any other college campus as pretty as this one.

The lack of healthier food choices on campus. I think it's very important to maintain a healthy and balanced diet, especially with a rigorous college schedule, and the food on-campus doesn't really cater to healthy eating habits. It also frustrates me that not a whole lot of the budget is distributed to the Theatre & Dance Department. The building and its facilities aren't what they could be.

Patricia

As a music major, my classmates and I get along well because we share a passion and are a lot alike.

If I could go back in time and give my high school self one piece of advice, I would say to be sure to study. High school was relatively easy for me. I learned the material in class and did not have to devote much time to it after hours. College is a different story. When your teachers tell you that college is hard, they are not trying to scare you. Do not shake it off like my friends and I did. These teachers went to college and they know how truly difficult it is. I would want my high school self to walk into college prepared to give her studies the amount of time that they require and deserve. Doing so would have given me a much smoother transition into college as well as higher grades on my report cards.

I think the best thing about my school is the level of school spirit. We are all so proud to be Hilltoppers. This sense of spirit brings us together as a community. We are a friendly student body and our mascot is even friendlier than we are. Big Red cheers on the teams and we cheer just as enthusiastically.

Kendra

Most of my classmates were there to learn as I was. Some were there more for partying and "the college experience." They were what I would consider typical college students.

I think the best advice I would give to myself as a high school senior would be to really search myself for what I want to do as a career. This will enable you to get a really concrete idea of what degree you should pursue. I wish I had chosen more carefully and had gone with a degree that had a specific career as its goal (accounting, teaching, etc) so that I could have gone directly from college into that career. I instead chose a degree in a subject that I loved but that does not have a natural-flowing job attached to it. This made finding a good career after college difficult. Choosing a specific career and getting a degree based on that from the beginning would have saved me time and money in the long run.

I wish I had known to apply super early for the school scholarships; I probably could have gotten more money. I also wish I had known more about the possibility of working on campus while I went to school so I could have off-set some of the costs. Finally, I wish I had known more about what kind of jobs (or lack thereof) my degree choice would get me. I chose a degree that does not have a lot of career options and if I had known that, I might have chosen a different degree.

Kara

Western Kentucky is a great school, full of great teachers, and students alike, I have found many new friends in the teachers and the other students that are enrolled in the college.

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school senior self, I would definately tell her to apply for more scholarships. I applied for many scholarships but I should have tried to apply for more of them. I would also tell her to join some groups in school and get better acquainted with more people, and to come out of your shyness.

My choice of attending Western Kentucky University was mostly made by my wish to study abroad. Western has an amazing program and I am already attending colleges across the globe. I love it. Other schools had study abroad programs but no where near as extensive as WKU.

Pressure is large part of college, maybe even more so than in high school. From peer pressure to stress from school work, it can be overwhelming at times but stay strong. Its worth the struggle. You will be tempted by people who you believe to be friends but your strong enough to resist the bad things, you know what they are. However keep in mind these may be the funnest years of your life, so have fun. Meet new friends, try new things but keep a steady head on your shoulders. The world may seem unfair at times but keep in mind that it's not meant too. The world doesn't owe you anything, it was here first. You have to earn what you wish to get. Grades, Green(money), and Girls won't flock to you. You have to go out and get it. So go big or go home, Live your life to the max. Good Luck!!

The pressure to be in a fraternity. If you are unable to get into one, you can often feel ostrasized by others. Fraternities and Sororities are everywhere and extremely alcohol dependent and I dont reallt wish to be part of that kind of group.

dorothy

I would tell Dorothy " congratulations on you upcoming graduation." I would also let her know that achieving her high school diploma is going to be a big accomplishment. And that is just the beginning of her journey. I would let her know she can be anything she wants to be in life. Doctors, nurses, and lawyers are just a few career choices she has to choose from. I will encourage her to start narrowing down her school choices for college early, and to began applying for scholarships and student loans right away. College should be at the top of your priority list of things to accomplish in life. I would also tell her to not allow people or things to distract her from her goals. "Dorothy, I wish you many blessings and much success in your future."

Audrey

Western Kentucky University has a beautiful campus, in both its architechure and its landscape, as well as am administration that makes great efforts to help its students succeed at their highest level.

You know how coaches often say you perform like you practice? Well, consider high school as practice and college as the performance. No one who puts forth Second String effort in practice will suddenly become the star player at the game, no matter how much they’d like to. I believe the same can be said for school. If you want to make straight A’s in college, study and make them now in high school. If you want to start an organization that makes a difference in college, start one now; because chances are you will not miraculously become the person you want to be over that one long summer break between Senior and Freshman year. In college, there are endless opportunities to learn, new things to experience, and unique people to meet; and there’s no harm in looking forward to all of this, but don’t let looking forward to the future fool you out of doing things now. So, to myself as a high school Senior, I would say don’t be the player who fumbles the ball, be everything you want now so that you’ll be the star player in college from the start.

If I could go back in time to my high school self, I would say that you can’t go back in time, and to live knowing that. Every day you spend in school and every weekend you spend wishing you didn’t have to go back on Monday morning are days that you won’t get again. I mean, sure college is great, and there’s not harm in looking forward to it. There is harm, though, in living in the future.

Lindsey

Unfortunatley, I had to drop out of highschool against my own choosing. So if I could go back to the time when I would have been a high school senior, I would tell myself to save as much money as I can for college! College is extremly fun (and of course educational.) but very expensive. I have to work full time to support myself as well as the costs of books and tuition. With doing that I miss out on a lot of things that I would love to do on campus, that also could open new doors when I graduate. On the more humorous side of things, I would also let my highschool self know that you need to pick your roommate carefully, make sure your roommate has short hair so you don't step in it everytime you shower!

Madison

As a high school senior, I was extrememly nervous that I would pick the wrong college and go somewhere that I truly hated. As I searched for colleges and went on tours, none of the colleges really felt right until I went to Western Kentucky University. The campus was beautiful and it's distance from home was great. It just felt right. I then visited other schools such as University of Kentucky, but none felt as good of a fit as WKU. Later in the year I struggled with whether or not Western would have the right kinds of majors and minors I was looking for and second guessed my choice. Choosing WKU has so far been the best decision I have made and I can't see myself anywhere else. If I could go back, I would tell myself to just go with what feels right and don't stress out so much!

While this question seems basic, I find it very difficult to answer. I have only lived on campus for a few weeks now, but I have yet to find something that I truly hate about this school. I guess for me personally, the worst thing about going here is being a freshman. Being at the bottom of the food chain again isn't the best, but it is in no means horrible. Many uppserclassmen have been very accepting of us so I really don't have any complaints!

Personally, the most frustrating thing to me about Western Kentucky University so far has been having classes at the very bottom of the hill and then all the way at the top. While I love the workout, when it gets cold I'm going to wish I had classes closer together!

Western Kentucky University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.