Bowling Green, KY
Western Kentucky University

Chyron

The advice I would have given my former self is to apply myself more and take every oppurtunity you could to better yourself for your community and your own future.

The vast amounts of ooppurtunities to learn and grow.

ChrisShanda

My classmates are helpful, funny, and smart.

My classmates are helpful, funny, and smart.

After knowing about how college life is and how to transition into college I wish I could go back in time as a high school senior to give myself some advice. The first thing I would advise myself is to save money for college. Saving money is a good idea because finding another job could take awhile, also college tuition is expensive. Another advice I would advise myself is search for more scholarships. This advice to me is very important because scholarships can help lower the amount of money used in student loans and will not put students in a lot of debt. My last advice I would tell myself is stay focus on school work and be prepared to work hard in college. College is harder than high school and should be taken serious. I believe my advice would have helped me in numerous ways. If I could I would go back in time and give myself the advice of college life I experienced.

The things I mostly brag about at my school are the food, the concerts, and being able to live on your own.

Melissa

If I could go back in time and give my highschool-self a pep-talk, I would tell myself to start volunteering from day 1 instead of waiting to be "settled in." In college, I have realized that I thoroughly enjoy serving others and giving back to the community. What I love best is making people laugh, and I would tell my highschool-self to smile at strangers from day 1, because smiling lets people know that you are a kind, friendly person. I believe that it is very important to be optimistic and I would tell my highschool-self to not wait for others to answer a question first in class. There is no need to wait until I am "comfortable" in the class to speak up. Instead, let your voice be heard from day 1 and don't be afraid to say something that might be considered controversial, because that is how to provoke intelligent, thought-provoking discussions. In conclusion, I would tell myself to just be me and heed the wise words of Dr. Seuss, "Be who you are, say what you feel, because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind."

I wish I had known that although they said that it is easy to get scholarships, in reality it is highly-competitive and cut-throat to receive money from this university. Also, I wish I had known that almost every weekend, most students go home so the campus is somehwat dead. I have adjusted to the lack of business during the weekend, but it was not what I had expected.

Currently the worst thing about my school is all of the major construcion that is going on now. Often times on a Saturday morning, I will wake up the the sound of jackhammers at 6am, and other times during class, students are bothered by the loud noises of construction. Additionally, due to the construction there is less food options which is also a negative.

Janessa

If I could go back in time and give my high school self some advice, it would be not to give up on myself and stay in school because it will be well worth it. Like many teenagers, I could not wait to “grow up” and move out. Instead of finishing high school and earning my diploma, I dropped out and got a job. Luckily, I did have the wherewithal to get my GED, but I did not go to college and get a higher education which was a huge mistake. It has been fifteen years since I dropped out of high school. Going to college at thirty-three comes with so many additional challenges that you do not have when you are eighteen. First, I had not realized how much information I had forgotten. Second, I work full time and last, my husband and I have four children. As you can image, I do not get much rest. This is my second chance at the education that I should have gotten a long time ago, and in the end, I know that all of this hard work will be worth it.

grace

the advice that i would tell myself is that Every person who begins a college career has a multitude of reasons for doing so. Some people do it because they are expected to get a college degree. Others do it hoping for a better life than they could have without a college degree. I am not entering college for either of these reasons. I am a high school graduate who believes I can do better than I did. Therefore, my reason for beginning college are some what different than the average person starting college for the first time. I have something to prove to myself. I want to prove that I can earn a college degree.

Tabitha

Dear Little High School Senior Me, I know you're earnestly awaiting your college years to begin, but there are a few things you should hear before you take this incredibly cool, incredibly scary leap into mini adulthood. The first thing I want you to take into account is that you need to prepare. Save your money. College has an endless list of expenses and they only pile up. Education should not be a debt sentence; plan wisely. Second, take time to appreciate your family. There have been so many times sitting in my little cubby-hole dorm room when I've wished that I would have let my parents know how much I love them. Don't take them for granted, because when your first week of your freshman year rolls around, you'll feel lonely and overwhelmed. But they'll always be there for you. The third thing I want you hear is this: work your hardest no matter where you end up. Whether you're at your Plan A school or Plan C school, never stop pursuing your dreams. It doesn't matter where you start. What does? Where you finish. That's up to you.

I mostly brag about the gorgeous weather, our gym facility (it's beautiful, really), the Van Meter auditorium, and the beautifully landscaped campus. I haven't seen any other college campus as pretty as this one.

The lack of healthier food choices on campus. I think it's very important to maintain a healthy and balanced diet, especially with a rigorous college schedule, and the food on-campus doesn't really cater to healthy eating habits. It also frustrates me that not a whole lot of the budget is distributed to the Theatre & Dance Department. The building and its facilities aren't what they could be.

Patricia

As a music major, my classmates and I get along well because we share a passion and are a lot alike.

If I could go back in time and give my high school self one piece of advice, I would say to be sure to study. High school was relatively easy for me. I learned the material in class and did not have to devote much time to it after hours. College is a different story. When your teachers tell you that college is hard, they are not trying to scare you. Do not shake it off like my friends and I did. These teachers went to college and they know how truly difficult it is. I would want my high school self to walk into college prepared to give her studies the amount of time that they require and deserve. Doing so would have given me a much smoother transition into college as well as higher grades on my report cards.

I think the best thing about my school is the level of school spirit. We are all so proud to be Hilltoppers. This sense of spirit brings us together as a community. We are a friendly student body and our mascot is even friendlier than we are. Big Red cheers on the teams and we cheer just as enthusiastically.

Kendra

Most of my classmates were there to learn as I was. Some were there more for partying and "the college experience." They were what I would consider typical college students.

I think the best advice I would give to myself as a high school senior would be to really search myself for what I want to do as a career. This will enable you to get a really concrete idea of what degree you should pursue. I wish I had chosen more carefully and had gone with a degree that had a specific career as its goal (accounting, teaching, etc) so that I could have gone directly from college into that career. I instead chose a degree in a subject that I loved but that does not have a natural-flowing job attached to it. This made finding a good career after college difficult. Choosing a specific career and getting a degree based on that from the beginning would have saved me time and money in the long run.

I wish I had known to apply super early for the school scholarships; I probably could have gotten more money. I also wish I had known more about the possibility of working on campus while I went to school so I could have off-set some of the costs. Finally, I wish I had known more about what kind of jobs (or lack thereof) my degree choice would get me. I chose a degree that does not have a lot of career options and if I had known that, I might have chosen a different degree.

Western Kentucky University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.