Bowling Green, KY
Western Kentucky University

Rebekah

If someone had told me while in high school to see my obstacles as a test and use them as a learning experience, I think my outlook on applying to colleges would have been far less trying. After applying to three choice colleges, hoping to be admitted to all three I was only accepted to one, the back-up college. After feeling sorry for myself for too long I went to my parents for advice, I was tired of feeling so put down. They told me to reapply, what would it hurt? I agreed with them but I was afraid of the results. A few months after I applied again, I kept telling myself not to think about it. The beginning of July I was starting to get excited about the University I had been accepted to. On July 24 my life took a different route, I was admitted to BYU-Hawaii my first choice. Bringing this back to high school, I wish that I would have known you don't always get what you want. Sometimes you have to try again, while other times you have to be grateful and accept the outcome of what has been given.

John William

My friends and I often discuss how our lives would be different if we would've known in high school what we know now. I would've worked harder to improve my GPA so I could've gotten some scholarships. Honestly, that is the only thing I would change. WKU isn't too big or too small; it's just the right size. It is a party school but I took part in that lifestyle in high school so it wasn't appealing to me anymore once I got to Western. The people I met my first month at WKU will be lifetime friends. My fraternity is very service and academically focused but we still have fun. I recently just finished a cross country bike ride with some of my brothers. We raised $65,000 for the Alzheimer's Association. I would've never had that opportunity if I wasn't who I was in high school. I'm extremely happy with my choices coming into Western Kentucky University.

The worst thing is the amount of green space. You have to go off campus to a park to find a place to run around and play sports.

The most frustrating thing about WKU is the on campus food company. Aramark runs all the all campus food and they love to rip off students. The meal plans seem like good deals until they close the cafeterias early and you can't use all of your meal plans. I probably wasted 30 something meal plans because of Aramark.

Briana

Our chool is best know for the Hill that our campus sits on. We are called the Hilltoppers!

It wasn't too far from home, nor too close. It's diverse, and offers many majors, and has an awesome campus. It stood out because of all the activities that goes on and the opportunites they have for students.

I would give the advice to study more effeciently, learn how to study. Learn how to manage time more, and also dont schedule 8am classes,it is very hard to wake uup for them! I would tell myself to dont get overwhelmed with all the "fun" school is the most important thing, and keep your GPA as high as possible. I would also tell myself to get out the stage where im use to my mom being around telling me what to do, and grow up and be independent because in college you're on your own. I would make sure to emphasize the point to STAY FOCUSED!

Kevin

Western Kentucky Univesity is a small school with big opportunties.

Western Kentucky Univesity is a small school with big opportunties.

I feel that Western Kentucky University is unique because they have many branches of the institution across the state so that people who want to stay home but go to college can. This also allows for a cheaper education because if you do not attend main campus all you have to do is pay for tuition and books which can save a lot of money. The main campus in bowling green introduces you to a new but enjoyable lifestyle.

If i could go back in time to talk to my high school self, i would tell myself not to worry about college. I would tell myself that it is really enjoyable and you will do fine. I would also tell myself to prepare more. One way that i could have better prepared is by taking more dual credit classes offered by Western Kentucky University. I would have also told myself to find more scholarships and fill them out.

Lusie

Western Kentucky University is a school with the campus and social atmosphere you see in idealised television campuses (walking around on a nice day by all the musicians and sunbathers is like living in a recruitment video), the cultural diversity of a large city, and the charm of the South.

Dearest Little Lusie, I have some tips for you, via a parody song to the tune of “Being Alive,” from Company: You should just make the change now; Theatre really is swell. Otherwise you'll have to wait In some other hell And graduate late; Accept how things are. Also, that boy there is gay, And that one, and that one is, too. They might know you back to front, But they can't love you The way that you want; Accept who they are. Love who they are. You will find classes you love, You will find teachers you hate - But if you hold on, you'll grow, And you can create Much more than you know! Trust that you're clever enough. Trust you'll make peace with your weight. Trust that, if you hold on tight, Some kind twist of fate Will make it all right - Accept who you are! Love who you are, Love who you are, Love who you are! Your life is about to become more magical than you can possibly imagine. Just hold on tight, work hard, and believe with all your might. Love, Older Lusie

Ryan

Spend a generous portion of your time with your family. I can see you carry pain in your heart; you need to forgive, make this a priority. Unforgiveness is destructive and crippling. Be content in the soil that you were born into and turn your concern toward your neighbor. Perpetually, labor for the good of all and do not loose heart. To sustain this, you will need help along the way and you cannot do this without prayer. God is the source; simply ask Him to guide you. The Lord promises, those who care for the needs others will not go without. So, take time to carefully examine your priorities in life and adjust them accordingly. Build your life upon what is important and all things will fall into place; in this way, you cannot go wrong. Life is a gift. I must share with you, to live in such this way is not easy, but it is worthwhile. Give of who you are, teach by example, build upon truth. In conclusion, do not be shy of faith, hope, and love, for we are all in need of these. Thank you, in advance, for reading my essay.

College is such a radical transition. It’s like jumping headfirst into a pool full of mass information that you can’t possibly understand. Needless to say if I knew then what I know now I would have done things differently. My high school self was naïve and full of dreams of attending an expensive four year college, without the correct finances to do so, just to keep the friendships I had made. The advice I would give my high school self would be to attend a two-year technical college, so I would be able to get my basics out of the way. Then I could apply for a transfer scholarship to keep my finances low. Perhaps if I had done this from the beginning I wouldn’t have gone through three colleges (in three years), or racked up great amounts of debt. I would have found my perfect college from the beginning, a college where I could achieve my teaching degree without difficulty. However knowing all of this has allowed me to advise my little brother and others on what to do when he finally attends college. After all, college is the ticket to a fantastic future!

Anyone who loves diversity and wants to become a teacher. Western holds the best teaching program in the state of Kentucky.

The financial aid process. It's long and phone calls don't help, you need to go in person to get the answers to the questions that you want to ask.

Brandi

How I can describe my school in one sentence would be that this school is very rewarding, we learn so much from our professors and people here are wanting to see you graduate and help you get to the next level of our education.

The unique thing at this school is that it is very diverse and I'm not use to seeing so many foreign people. I have learned that so many people are from different states or from over seas and they decide to come here to Kentucky and go to college and further their education.

The advice I would give myself would be that college isn't a joke, do your work and not procrastinate, the professors won't treat you like your in high school because you're in college, you're an adult, it's your responsibility to do the work and turn it in on time and when it is due.

Andrew

My classmates were very fun, energetic, and cared a great deal about their education.

When I was a high school senior all I cared about was playing football. I thought that is what I was going to do in college, so I didnt study and take my education very serious. Then one game during my senior season, I suffered a career ending knee injury. This devastated me to the point of depression because I could no longer do what I loved and all my dreams were now gone. I decided to go to college anyway because that's what people said was the right thing to do, I wasn't so sure. My first semester was tough, I really didn't know how to study. After my first semester I told myself that I would strive for success and be the very best student that I possibly could, so I did. It wasn't easy but I worked very hard and now I have a master's degree and I am working on my doctorate degree. If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would explain to myself that sports is not everything, education is much more important and preparing yourself for life through education is vital.

Western Kentucky offers an excellent atmosphere for students to meet other students. Western Kentucky also has a very high standard for education and this is extremely important when thinking about college. You do want to go to college to meet people and have fun but your number one goal is to receive a high quality education, this is exactly what you will receive at Western Kentucky.

Kimberly

It is a good thing you waited to continue your education. Although three years may seem like a long time, you honestly had no idea what you wanted to do. Although you wasted the three years you took off from school, by working and not saving anything, you managed to continue your education anyway. You're a year into your education at college and it is the best thing that you could have done. My advice to you - it is a good thing you waited.

Western Kentucky University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.