Bowling Green, KY
Western Kentucky University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Western Kentucky University

Fixed  rate loan

Amber

I think Master Plan is something that is very unique to WKU's campus. It is a week long oreintation where Freshman move on campus the week prior to starting. It ia a great time to meet new friends and get aquainted to campus before everyone else moves into the dorms. Another things is the Academic Advising and Retention Center which proides a myriad of academic services to any student for free. Services includes counseling, test prep, tutoring, study hours, computer labs and much much more! Currently, it is a program other universities are looking to imitate.

College is everything people say about it and so much more! I have loved every minute of my college experience. When you first arrive, go out of your way to make friends especially ones that may bring a little diversity to your life! But be careful to also surround yourself with people who will encourage you in your personal views. I went to college, and made lots of friend who believed things I didn't and things I did believe. I love that I have made so many friends with different backgrounds, cultures orientations, and beliefs, but as a Christian, I wanted to also make sure to surround myself with people who would help me through my time in college. I found great friends who I had tons of fun with, but they never once asked me to drink, party, do drugs, etc. Outside of that, work hard. Some classes are really easy and some are super hard. But push through it, and never be afraid to use acedemic resources. And, make sure that you major in something you love, not just something that your parents want or something that will make you lots of money. I love my major!

The friends I have made during my time at WKU. I have made the best friends who I will keep for life. They have been by my side through my college career. They have encouraged and lifted me up. I wouldn't have made it through school without them. And, they say the same about me! Another great thing about campus is its natural beauty. The campus is spectacularly beautiful which makes studying outside an great experience! And, luckily the campus provides lots of green space for students to play sports, read books, hang out or study outside!

Justin

Western Kentucky University is a great school that's not too big and not too small.

I would advise myself to research scholarships more and find out how to apply for them. I have had a really hard time finding scholarships and it's frustrating because I have a really good GPA.

The most frustrating thing about WKU is that there are very few on campus jobs available. I really need to be making some money because school is so expensive, but it's just really tough to find a job.

Brandi

Dear Highschool Brandi, You are almost done kid! College is only a couple months away. But listen up, because I have some good pointers for you! I have put them into an organized list, because I know how we both love lists. Tip Number One: GET INVOLVED! You will be bored out of your mind if you just sit in your dorm all day, every day. Join clubs, play intramurals, go greek! Do anything you can to better your college experience! Tip Number Two: MANAGE YOUR TIME WISELY! In high school, I know it was easy to slide by without doing your homework one night or without studying for a test. However, college is a whole different ball game! You have to learn how to manage your time and set your priorities. After you figure this out, college is a breeze. Tip Number Three: TAKE A BREATH! Sometimes, you are going to feel like you want to just quit. College can be tough, especially after getting involved and taking difficult classes. YOU CAN DO IT! Whenever you feel overwhelmed, just take a minute, sit back, relax, and breathe. You going to turn out just fine kid. Love, College Brandi

WKU has an atmosphere that is homey and inviting. It really does feel like a home away from home. The campus is green with beautiful landscaping every where. The residence halls are also all close to each other. This makes it easy to connect with people.

The lack of places to eat is frustrating. There are not many dining choices on campus. I feel like I eat the same thing every day.

Rebekah

If someone had told me while in high school to see my obstacles as a test and use them as a learning experience, I think my outlook on applying to colleges would have been far less trying. After applying to three choice colleges, hoping to be admitted to all three I was only accepted to one, the back-up college. After feeling sorry for myself for too long I went to my parents for advice, I was tired of feeling so put down. They told me to reapply, what would it hurt? I agreed with them but I was afraid of the results. A few months after I applied again, I kept telling myself not to think about it. The beginning of July I was starting to get excited about the University I had been accepted to. On July 24 my life took a different route, I was admitted to BYU-Hawaii my first choice. Bringing this back to high school, I wish that I would have known you don't always get what you want. Sometimes you have to try again, while other times you have to be grateful and accept the outcome of what has been given.

John William

My friends and I often discuss how our lives would be different if we would've known in high school what we know now. I would've worked harder to improve my GPA so I could've gotten some scholarships. Honestly, that is the only thing I would change. WKU isn't too big or too small; it's just the right size. It is a party school but I took part in that lifestyle in high school so it wasn't appealing to me anymore once I got to Western. The people I met my first month at WKU will be lifetime friends. My fraternity is very service and academically focused but we still have fun. I recently just finished a cross country bike ride with some of my brothers. We raised $65,000 for the Alzheimer's Association. I would've never had that opportunity if I wasn't who I was in high school. I'm extremely happy with my choices coming into Western Kentucky University.

The worst thing is the amount of green space. You have to go off campus to a park to find a place to run around and play sports.

The most frustrating thing about WKU is the on campus food company. Aramark runs all the all campus food and they love to rip off students. The meal plans seem like good deals until they close the cafeterias early and you can't use all of your meal plans. I probably wasted 30 something meal plans because of Aramark.

Briana

Our chool is best know for the Hill that our campus sits on. We are called the Hilltoppers!

It wasn't too far from home, nor too close. It's diverse, and offers many majors, and has an awesome campus. It stood out because of all the activities that goes on and the opportunites they have for students.

I would give the advice to study more effeciently, learn how to study. Learn how to manage time more, and also dont schedule 8am classes,it is very hard to wake uup for them! I would tell myself to dont get overwhelmed with all the "fun" school is the most important thing, and keep your GPA as high as possible. I would also tell myself to get out the stage where im use to my mom being around telling me what to do, and grow up and be independent because in college you're on your own. I would make sure to emphasize the point to STAY FOCUSED!

Kevin

Western Kentucky Univesity is a small school with big opportunties.

Western Kentucky Univesity is a small school with big opportunties.

I feel that Western Kentucky University is unique because they have many branches of the institution across the state so that people who want to stay home but go to college can. This also allows for a cheaper education because if you do not attend main campus all you have to do is pay for tuition and books which can save a lot of money. The main campus in bowling green introduces you to a new but enjoyable lifestyle.

If i could go back in time to talk to my high school self, i would tell myself not to worry about college. I would tell myself that it is really enjoyable and you will do fine. I would also tell myself to prepare more. One way that i could have better prepared is by taking more dual credit classes offered by Western Kentucky University. I would have also told myself to find more scholarships and fill them out.

Lusie

Western Kentucky University is a school with the campus and social atmosphere you see in idealised television campuses (walking around on a nice day by all the musicians and sunbathers is like living in a recruitment video), the cultural diversity of a large city, and the charm of the South.

Dearest Little Lusie, I have some tips for you, via a parody song to the tune of “Being Alive,” from Company: You should just make the change now; Theatre really is swell. Otherwise you'll have to wait In some other hell And graduate late; Accept how things are. Also, that boy there is gay, And that one, and that one is, too. They might know you back to front, But they can't love you The way that you want; Accept who they are. Love who they are. You will find classes you love, You will find teachers you hate - But if you hold on, you'll grow, And you can create Much more than you know! Trust that you're clever enough. Trust you'll make peace with your weight. Trust that, if you hold on tight, Some kind twist of fate Will make it all right - Accept who you are! Love who you are, Love who you are, Love who you are! Your life is about to become more magical than you can possibly imagine. Just hold on tight, work hard, and believe with all your might. Love, Older Lusie

Ryan

Spend a generous portion of your time with your family. I can see you carry pain in your heart; you need to forgive, make this a priority. Unforgiveness is destructive and crippling. Be content in the soil that you were born into and turn your concern toward your neighbor. Perpetually, labor for the good of all and do not loose heart. To sustain this, you will need help along the way and you cannot do this without prayer. God is the source; simply ask Him to guide you. The Lord promises, those who care for the needs others will not go without. So, take time to carefully examine your priorities in life and adjust them accordingly. Build your life upon what is important and all things will fall into place; in this way, you cannot go wrong. Life is a gift. I must share with you, to live in such this way is not easy, but it is worthwhile. Give of who you are, teach by example, build upon truth. In conclusion, do not be shy of faith, hope, and love, for we are all in need of these. Thank you, in advance, for reading my essay.

College is such a radical transition. It’s like jumping headfirst into a pool full of mass information that you can’t possibly understand. Needless to say if I knew then what I know now I would have done things differently. My high school self was naïve and full of dreams of attending an expensive four year college, without the correct finances to do so, just to keep the friendships I had made. The advice I would give my high school self would be to attend a two-year technical college, so I would be able to get my basics out of the way. Then I could apply for a transfer scholarship to keep my finances low. Perhaps if I had done this from the beginning I wouldn’t have gone through three colleges (in three years), or racked up great amounts of debt. I would have found my perfect college from the beginning, a college where I could achieve my teaching degree without difficulty. However knowing all of this has allowed me to advise my little brother and others on what to do when he finally attends college. After all, college is the ticket to a fantastic future!

Anyone who loves diversity and wants to become a teacher. Western holds the best teaching program in the state of Kentucky.

The financial aid process. It's long and phone calls don't help, you need to go in person to get the answers to the questions that you want to ask.

Western Kentucky University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.