Bowling Green, KY
Western Kentucky University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Western Kentucky University

Fixed  rate loan

Fixed  rate loan

Enjoy life now. Simple as that. Throughout high school I was very meticulous and was very concerned about doing everything perfectly. I never missed class, and always gave school one hundred percent. I was always determined to work hard, but it took a real toll on me sometimes. I was always exhausted and would be in bed by seven or eight at night. My senior year I began working as well which made receiving high grades even more difficult. I continued to strive for the Stars Scholarship which was the deciding factor as to whether or not I would attend college. If I graduated in the top fifteen percent of my class, I would receive the scholarship. If not, I would not have the money to attend. Later I learn, I did achieve this scholarship along with several other prestigious awards. I wish that I could tell myself to relax from my stressed out ways. Continue to work hard, but it all pays off. Every bit of it. I would never want to change anything I did so I would make sure that my high school self would stick with it! Every second is work it, so enjoy life now.

College opens up endless possibilities for the future. It enables you to explore careers, meet people, step out of your comfort zone, and grow as a person. At college, academics should be first priority. Place your course work above your social activities to achieve your goals and position yourself for a successful career. Use the resources on campus, like tutoring or study sessions to help with challenging courses. Try to work ahead whenever possible, which reduces stress and allows you to submit your best work. Campus life is also an important aspect of college. Explore campus organizations, attend special events, volunteer, and spend time with friends. You might even consider studying abroad to enhance your college experience. All of these opportunities help you develop as a person, so don’t be afraid take some risks. You may discover wonderful things you never knew about yourself. College life is certainly a balancing act, but the rewards help shape the rest of your life. Be diligent in school, but also allow yourself to fully experience campus life. As you immerse yourself in your studies and explore campus opportunities, you will become a capable, confident graduate, ready for amazing possibilities in your future.

To attend Western, a person needs to be willing to succeed. Western is about striving for excellence, doing the very best that you can. However, WKU also wants you to enjoy college life; the faculty and staff want you to get plugged in and make the most of the time you attend. Therefore, the kind of person that needs to attend WKU is someone who can balance school work and their personal life. College is about learning and preparing for the real world, but it's also a time for growing as a person. WKU allows opportunities for both.

Scheduling classes for the semester to come is really frustrating. For example, registering for upcoming fall semesters is difficult because incoming freshman get to schedule their classes before and during when current students register, which would be during the current spring semester. This causes classes to fill up really quickly, and it's hard to attain the classes that you need to stay on track to graduate. Registering takes a lot of planning to figure out what courses you can take and when. It gets even more stressful when the classes needed are full or not offered for that semester.

Chyron

The advice I would have given my former self is to apply myself more and take every oppurtunity you could to better yourself for your community and your own future.

The vast amounts of ooppurtunities to learn and grow.

ChrisShanda

My classmates are helpful, funny, and smart.

My classmates are helpful, funny, and smart.

After knowing about how college life is and how to transition into college I wish I could go back in time as a high school senior to give myself some advice. The first thing I would advise myself is to save money for college. Saving money is a good idea because finding another job could take awhile, also college tuition is expensive. Another advice I would advise myself is search for more scholarships. This advice to me is very important because scholarships can help lower the amount of money used in student loans and will not put students in a lot of debt. My last advice I would tell myself is stay focus on school work and be prepared to work hard in college. College is harder than high school and should be taken serious. I believe my advice would have helped me in numerous ways. If I could I would go back in time and give myself the advice of college life I experienced.

The things I mostly brag about at my school are the food, the concerts, and being able to live on your own.

Melissa

If I could go back in time and give my highschool-self a pep-talk, I would tell myself to start volunteering from day 1 instead of waiting to be "settled in." In college, I have realized that I thoroughly enjoy serving others and giving back to the community. What I love best is making people laugh, and I would tell my highschool-self to smile at strangers from day 1, because smiling lets people know that you are a kind, friendly person. I believe that it is very important to be optimistic and I would tell my highschool-self to not wait for others to answer a question first in class. There is no need to wait until I am "comfortable" in the class to speak up. Instead, let your voice be heard from day 1 and don't be afraid to say something that might be considered controversial, because that is how to provoke intelligent, thought-provoking discussions. In conclusion, I would tell myself to just be me and heed the wise words of Dr. Seuss, "Be who you are, say what you feel, because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind."

I wish I had known that although they said that it is easy to get scholarships, in reality it is highly-competitive and cut-throat to receive money from this university. Also, I wish I had known that almost every weekend, most students go home so the campus is somehwat dead. I have adjusted to the lack of business during the weekend, but it was not what I had expected.

Currently the worst thing about my school is all of the major construcion that is going on now. Often times on a Saturday morning, I will wake up the the sound of jackhammers at 6am, and other times during class, students are bothered by the loud noises of construction. Additionally, due to the construction there is less food options which is also a negative.

Janessa

If I could go back in time and give my high school self some advice, it would be not to give up on myself and stay in school because it will be well worth it. Like many teenagers, I could not wait to “grow up” and move out. Instead of finishing high school and earning my diploma, I dropped out and got a job. Luckily, I did have the wherewithal to get my GED, but I did not go to college and get a higher education which was a huge mistake. It has been fifteen years since I dropped out of high school. Going to college at thirty-three comes with so many additional challenges that you do not have when you are eighteen. First, I had not realized how much information I had forgotten. Second, I work full time and last, my husband and I have four children. As you can image, I do not get much rest. This is my second chance at the education that I should have gotten a long time ago, and in the end, I know that all of this hard work will be worth it.

grace

the advice that i would tell myself is that Every person who begins a college career has a multitude of reasons for doing so. Some people do it because they are expected to get a college degree. Others do it hoping for a better life than they could have without a college degree. I am not entering college for either of these reasons. I am a high school graduate who believes I can do better than I did. Therefore, my reason for beginning college are some what different than the average person starting college for the first time. I have something to prove to myself. I want to prove that I can earn a college degree.

Tabitha

Dear Little High School Senior Me, I know you're earnestly awaiting your college years to begin, but there are a few things you should hear before you take this incredibly cool, incredibly scary leap into mini adulthood. The first thing I want you to take into account is that you need to prepare. Save your money. College has an endless list of expenses and they only pile up. Education should not be a debt sentence; plan wisely. Second, take time to appreciate your family. There have been so many times sitting in my little cubby-hole dorm room when I've wished that I would have let my parents know how much I love them. Don't take them for granted, because when your first week of your freshman year rolls around, you'll feel lonely and overwhelmed. But they'll always be there for you. The third thing I want you hear is this: work your hardest no matter where you end up. Whether you're at your Plan A school or Plan C school, never stop pursuing your dreams. It doesn't matter where you start. What does? Where you finish. That's up to you.

I mostly brag about the gorgeous weather, our gym facility (it's beautiful, really), the Van Meter auditorium, and the beautifully landscaped campus. I haven't seen any other college campus as pretty as this one.

The lack of healthier food choices on campus. I think it's very important to maintain a healthy and balanced diet, especially with a rigorous college schedule, and the food on-campus doesn't really cater to healthy eating habits. It also frustrates me that not a whole lot of the budget is distributed to the Theatre & Dance Department. The building and its facilities aren't what they could be.

Western Kentucky University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.