Western Kentucky University

« See more reviews of Western Kentucky University

College opens up endless possibilities for the future. It enables you to explore careers, meet people, step out of your comfort zone, and grow as a person. At college, academics should be first priority. Place your course work above your social activities to achieve your goals and position yourself for a successful career. Use the resources on campus, like tutoring or study sessions to help with challenging courses. Try to work ahead whenever possible, which reduces stress and allows you to submit your best work. Campus life is also an important aspect of college. Explore campus organizations, attend special events, volunteer, and spend time with friends. You might even consider studying abroad to enhance your college experience. All of these opportunities help you develop as a person, so don’t be afraid take some risks. You may discover wonderful things you never knew about yourself. College life is certainly a balancing act, but the rewards help shape the rest of your life. Be diligent in school, but also allow yourself to fully experience campus life. As you immerse yourself in your studies and explore campus opportunities, you will become a capable, confident graduate, ready for amazing possibilities in your future.

In order to find the right college, it is important that the student weighs the pros and cons with parental influence, but not so much that it becomes the parents' choice. Majors offered, financial packages, campus atmosphere, location, degree requirements, and friends are some of the more pivotal factors that go into choosing the right college and must be equally weighed. Parents should be keen to listening to their child and not pushing their alma mater on them if that is not where their passion is. In order to get the most out of the college experience, the student should try to step outside of their comfort zone. Hands down it will foster the most maturity and funt times This is a critical stepping stone in personal and social growth that will lead to the student down a path of diversity, self-discovery, probing intellectual curiosity, and advancement toward their career goal. Along the way, they will meet friends not always sharing a similar background, point of view, or political standpoint so instead of being exposed to a "tunnel vision" college, the student will experience a broad, well-rounded education and experience, utilizing the most of their collegiate experience.

I would say to myself: Considering that you are unsure what you want to pursue in healthcare, you should start off by attending a community college. Take some "core" classes under a liberal arts math and science degree finishing in two years with an associate degree. Financially, apply for federal student aide if you qualify. If you do not qualify do alot of research because there are scholorships and grants available for all types of students. This will help prepare and put you in the right direction for any career in healthcare. I would also encourage you to volunteer in a hospital or clinic during your two year educational program. This will help you socially as well as make your resume more appealing. Another good avenue worth trying is to find a certificated program within healthcare (example: Nursing Assistant, Dental Hygenist/Assistant, Medical Assistant) which will allow you to be up close and personal with all of the many different areas in healthcare. This will expand your mind and open you up to all the options available and allow you to decide where in healthcare and if healthcare is the right field for you. Good Luck with your SUCCESS!

Throughout my first year of college, I have experienced an exceptional learning program, diversity of cultures, new friendships, old friendships, and definitely realized the responsibilities of living on your own. My high school years were very tough, to say the least. I was diagnosed with a chronic kidney disease my sophmore year and enrolled in a homebound program. From then on I had to teach myself at home because I was always either at the doctor or in the hospital. I can tell you this was very difficult for me because I was a very social and energetic girl. Having to be seperated from my classmates and my sports saddend me, but I achieved my goals and graduated in four years, Suma cum laude. Going to college is another valuable goal I am determined to achieve. I recieved a kidney trasplant in March of 2009, but they discovered my disease was returning in my new kidney. I would love to finish my education in four years before anything tragic happens again. Learning new things help keep my mind off my dilema. I am looking forward to attending my university in the fall, with high hopes of achieving academic excellence.

The search for the perfect college is a difficult and confusing process. Take some time to think about who you are and what is truly important to you. It is hard to envision the perfect college when you have yet to experience life on a college campus. My experiences have shown me that the perfect college is what you make of it. Although all colleges offer differing opportunities, the secret is to embrace whatever options arise. I do not regret my decision to attend Western Kentucky University, however, if I had the opportunity to redo the application process, I would strive to attend a university tailored more to my interests. I would look for a smaller university that provides a greater sense of community and a shared desire to succeed. Focus more on locating outside scholarships, than finding a college with great financial aid. When thinking about what lies ahead in the transition to college life, try not to worry so much. Coursework is not overwhelmingly difficult and friendships are easily formed. Take the time to enjoy your last year of high school and remember that you should just be a kid sometimes.

College is unlike anything that most teenagers have ever experienced. Often they are away from home for the first time on their own, experiencing life and all it has to offer. Finding the right college is essential to being happy while away from everything that is familiar to you. It is important to investigate the colleges you are applying to. What is the enrollment volume? How big are classes? Does the college offer a good program in your desired major? It is also a great idea to take a tour of the campus. Some college campus' are in the city, others in more rural towns. Some are covered in concrete and others are green with landscaping throughout. You'll have to see the campus to decide which fits you best. To make the most of your college experience get involved! Universities often have clubs dedicated to every hobby and career imaginable so get out there and get involved in a few. This is the best way to get to know people at the beginning of the semester. Whether you want to go Greek, or join an intramural or club sports team, it will group you with people with similar interests!

First off: Pack duct tape - it will always come in handy. As for finding the right college, look into the college's "unofficial" history, along with the university's personal literature - look at back issues of the college's newspaper, publications from the town or city itself, and students' personal websites. This background information not only allows you a variety of information on the school, but allows you to get a feel for the student's perspective on particular events or moves made by the college that the official website may not feel it prudent to include. To make the most of your college experience, stay open to new people - it's no good living in a resident hall if you've always got your door closed. Make it a point to make friends with your neighbors - they're in the same boat you are, and can make your first year at college the most memorable. Be as prepared as you can, whether that means an endless supply of Raman noodles or the best first-aid kit in the building. Invariably, something will go wrong, and being prepared is the difference between misery and the time of your life.

Out of my college experience I now understand and recognize the value of education. I have found my stregnth and intelligence and I know how much I can handle. The experience I've learned form attending college has made me a better person it has made me a more education oriented person. Out of this experience I've learned how to respect different people and understand their differences and express and honor them. I feel without the college experience you dont really know how to find the person you are meant to become, having that experience broadens your horizon and prepares you for what you deal with in life. I have come to respect, cherish, admire and love the experience I've recieved so far from college. I do hope that I will continue to grow and have many experieces from this point on. Like forming friendship and sisterhood bonds. And that ammunition I need to succeed in life . Also remembering the many lessons that was taught and the many people that I met a college experience is a life changing experience. At Tarrant County College I am surrounded by people whom I admire and respect.

Finding the right college is essential to a student?s potential career and future. I find that it?s a great bonding experience between parents and their children. I think it brought me and my parents closer together for sure. I am not saying it?s easy because it most certainly is not, but I believe it makes you into a more wise and responsible individual. I encourage parents to be there to help support their child?s decision in school but to also sit back and really listen to their child?s perspective. Students, I will be the first one to admit that your parents will never give you advice if they didn?t think it was for your best benefit, so trust them and their opinions as well. I have learned from my college experiences that life is like a hard juggling act among your academics, friends, activities, and family. I believe to make the most of your college experience, students should get to know their professors and let them know you care about your grades. Earn public speaking skills, make incredible friends for life, and enjoy the years, because trust me; they pass you by so quickly.

When it comes to advice that I would give to students about finding the right college, the first thing I would say is to figure out what's doable for them. I mean that both socially and financially; yes, it's good to take risks and place yourself in a more outgoing and somewhat uncomfortable situation, but don't jump too far too fast. Try to make a tie with someone else attending beforehand; technology and social networks can make this a lot easier. Financially, although you should want to attend the best college you possibly can, think about what you're paying for. A lot of times you're paying for the name or prestige of a certain university...unless a college has a particularly bad reputation, most are generally the same and offer a quality education and a good environement. As for parents, don't think that you're losing your child forever when they leave for college. In the long run, students are on breaks for a good deal of time during and between semesters, so you will still see them. All in all, college shouldn't be very scary or daunting for anyone, parents or students.