Western Kentucky University

« See more reviews of Western Kentucky University

I would tell myself to not be so nervous and just to be yourself. That everything is going to be okay and not to fret and worry about all the things I worried about before walking on to the college campus. I would clap my hand on his shoulder and tell him that everything you prepared yourself for works out perfectly in college.. That being independent is a huge benefit in college because those first couple days is when it hits you that you're on your own. There's no going to Dad or Mom anymore. I would tell myself to watch our for those cute, but sly girls and be careful about those frat parties because they draw you in easily. As far as academics go, I would tell myself that high school teachers did not lie. Professors do not care if you are present, late, or don't ever come to class at all and it can be tremendously easy to skip class. Then I would also tell myself that as long as I remember why I'm going to school and etch it into my head that college is going to be the best experience ever.

College is full of opportunities, so take as many as you can. But don't overload yourself! Live every moment like it's your last, but plan for your future. Ignore girls for the first semester, at least! Not saying they're bad, but stay focused. Ultimate frisbee is way cooler than you thought; it's way up there, pretty close to snowboarding believe it or not. In class, teachers are teachers, but afterwards they are a wellspring of wisdom. They've walked in your shoes, so heed their advice. Oh man, if you thought MLA was dumb, wait 'till you try Turabian. Sucks. Cafeteria food is hit or miss, but at least it's better odds than the lottery. Show up early on the first day so you can get the good side of the room, the one with less windows. Nothing's worse than waking up at 7 when you don't need to be up 'till 10. Above all, honor God in all you do. He's why you're here, so make your life count. Be humble, be yourself, and don't judge. Your best friend could be the kid next door. Oh, and HAVE FUN!

Dearest Little Lusie, I have some tips for you, via a parody song to the tune of “Being Alive,” from Company: You should just make the change now; Theatre really is swell. Otherwise you'll have to wait In some other hell And graduate late; Accept how things are. Also, that boy there is gay, And that one, and that one is, too. They might know you back to front, But they can't love you The way that you want; Accept who they are. Love who they are. You will find classes you love, You will find teachers you hate - But if you hold on, you'll grow, And you can create Much more than you know! Trust that you're clever enough. Trust you'll make peace with your weight. Trust that, if you hold on tight, Some kind twist of fate Will make it all right - Accept who you are! Love who you are, Love who you are, Love who you are! Your life is about to become more magical than you can possibly imagine. Just hold on tight, work hard, and believe with all your might. Love, Older Lusie

I would tell any prospective college student, high school senior, don't just settle for average. It is, without a doubt, a very confusing and stressful time in your life. After so long in your collge searches, your mind just wants to give up and decide. As personally a transfer student, I learned first hand, do not settle for anything that is less than your standards. It is tough, but hang in there and find a place that you have no doubts in. Find a college that you can be yourself at. Get involved and don't be shy. Don't be afraid to ask anyone on campus any questions. Pay attention to your surroundings because you don't know when you'll be asked a question and possibly make a new friend. If you have roommates, don't be afraid firsthand to tell them your peeves and your schedule. You'll be happier in the long run. Go to class!! Most professors will notice you are there and will reward you for it. It could be a difference in your grades. Make college what you want. Do what makes you happy.

Hey Jerry, thinking to myself from a distance away from my high school-self. I am your future. It was fun floundering around for the last 6 odd years of your life finding a direction and a community of people who you identify with, but I am glad you will do it! The way the economy has been recently it should benefit you to still be in school, setting high goals for yourself, and pursuing two bachelor degrees at once! Don't change what you are about to do in your life one bit. I'm telling you Jerry, you will travel to countries and places in the world you would never think about right now. You will meet people, friends, and lovers you would never think about if you changed your life course now. Stay true to your heart and don't sway from what you are doing right now. Yup I wouldn't converse with myself directly at all. I am proud of where I am at and I'd hope that my senior high school self would continue on the same path with or without my advice. Thanks for doing what you have done Jerry.

Dear High School Self, I want to advise you to not be so nervous about starting college. You are going to love college life. You are going to make many great friends and memories. You will get through this big transition from high school to college. I advise you to look ahead, but to still focus on the current semester. Do not worry so much about when you are graduating or if you will get done in four years. It will all work out for the best. I want to tell you that you are capable of doing this. Also, do not be so quick to turn down opportunities for new friends, new experiences. Believe in yourself more and you will be fine. You should not worry about whether you can handle a certain class. You get an A in Western Civilization Since 1648, therefore you can get an A in any other class you take! Just take risks, and I promise it will be worth it. You have your family and friends right there by your side, who believe in you more than you even believe in yourself. Sincerely, College Self

My advice that I would give the student would be if the student is new to get involved. Thats one of the ways to make lifetime friends. I rememeber before I got a job on campus whenever I was done with classes I didn't kno anyone so I would always go back to my room and that is not an idea I suggest get out and meet new people. You you could get a mentor for your first semester and that person helps you get more involved inviting you to more groups to meet new people which helped me TREMENDOUSLY! I loved my mentor!! For freshman only go to master plan, its where you go to school a week eary and meet other freshman which is very helpful and they also show you around the school so you wont be lost the first day. Also, If you think you can manage a job an do classes you can have a job on campus which is a plus because depending on where you work you see different and all kinds of people everyday. I hope this will help you by making the most out of your college experience. GOOD LUCK!

Congratulations! You have officially made it through some of the biggest years of your life. It's sad, getting ready to leave some of your closest friends and family, but you should be more than excited for the opportunities that wait for you! Before you head off, I could tell you multiple words of wisdom for heading out on your own and reaching the best time of your life, but I want to remind you of one thing. Mainly, I want you to be able to remember who you are. You are about to be thrown into a life where people have come from different home lives, religions, and view points on life. Take advantage of the differences and learn, but don't forget your background as well. Don't feel as though you must be ashamed of what you know and believe, but embrace who you are and be open to the new. Challenge what you believe and listen to others. Grow up as a young woman who can stand for herself and you will be rewarded through your college experience more than you could possibly imagine!

When I was in high school I was so worried I wouldn't make any new friends, I am very introverted. But I could have saved myself a lot of headaches if I'd known how much more extroverted college makes you. Even on the first day I was invited to join some really fantastic people for a midnight breakfast. Not only that but I ended up being the one to initiate many friendships. College is so freeing, it can be hard, but all that effort you put into it is worth it. I'd also tell myself to try and get a job while I was in high school, not only would this help me save for repaying future loans for schooling, but I'd get more experience for my resume and be more prepared for having to put in a long day's work and also balancing school and a social life. And, lastly, I'd tell myself to enjoy the precious last few months that I got to see my friends everyday. Treasure your friendships but don't let them smother you and prevent you from venturing out on your own.

If I could go back in time and give my high school self some advice, it would be not to give up on myself and stay in school because it will be well worth it. Like many teenagers, I could not wait to “grow up” and move out. Instead of finishing high school and earning my diploma, I dropped out and got a job. Luckily, I did have the wherewithal to get my GED, but I did not go to college and get a higher education which was a huge mistake. It has been fifteen years since I dropped out of high school. Going to college at thirty-three comes with so many additional challenges that you do not have when you are eighteen. First, I had not realized how much information I had forgotten. Second, I work full time and last, my husband and I have four children. As you can image, I do not get much rest. This is my second chance at the education that I should have gotten a long time ago, and in the end, I know that all of this hard work will be worth it.