Western Kentucky University

« See more reviews of Western Kentucky University

I'd honestly say, "follow your heart." Speaking as a non-traditional student who finished a degree several years after high school, I frequently think about my first college experience and all of the advice I received from everyone around me. While they were all trying to be helpful, in the end, it was my own opinions I should have heeded above all the others. I chose a major that would secure me a job instead of what I really loved. I ended up dropping out and I put off school for several years because I just couldn't choose a field. Two years ago, I finally decided to return to college and ended up in the major I had thought about during my first years as a student. It really doesn't matter if you can get a job or if it makes your parents happy; if you aren't happy, then you won't enjoy your college experience and you won't get the full value of your education and college life.

Make sure you take the time to check out several different colleges. Once you spend a day on a campus, you have a good idea whether or not you'd feel comfortable on it everyday. Once you start college, remember that you get what you make of it. Be involved! Campuses offer so many activities to attend. Visit the schools website and attend those activities so that you can make new friends and become a part of the community that is formed on your campus. College is hard. The school work is tough, but moving out on your own is scary! Make sure to hang in there. Don't give up just because you get home sick the first week. Instead of going home because you are home sick, go to an activity or to the diner, or the room next to you in your dorm, and get to know the students around you! Most of your peers are experiencing the same feelings you are, so get out there and make friends!

There would be a few things I would like to tell myself to make the transition easier. Such as; try to interact with people more, get involved withsports, keep up the good academic work. Interacting with people more will make the time spent at the college more enjoyable. Since I don't live on campus, making good friends is a little tougher, but it can be done. Getting more involved with sports, such as soccer, will help me make more friends. It will also allow me to play the sport that I love, even if its not on the collegiate level. Finally, keeping up the good academic work will keep me at the top. Some students slack off once they get into college, but by keeping up my great academic status will keep my grades as high as they can be. Overall, I would tell myself to be more involved with other students and extra activities, as well as encourage myself to keep up the great work.

After knowing about how college life is and how to transition into college I wish I could go back in time as a high school senior to give myself some advice. The first thing I would advise myself is to save money for college. Saving money is a good idea because finding another job could take awhile, also college tuition is expensive. Another advice I would advise myself is search for more scholarships. This advice to me is very important because scholarships can help lower the amount of money used in student loans and will not put students in a lot of debt. My last advice I would tell myself is stay focus on school work and be prepared to work hard in college. College is harder than high school and should be taken serious. I believe my advice would have helped me in numerous ways. If I could I would go back in time and give myself the advice of college life I experienced.

For parents who are sending their child to college for the first time, my advice is give lots of motivation and encoragement--you can't give enough. Make sure your student is on track and hold them accountable. So many college student do worse than they should in college because no one is pushing them to do their very best. And college, after all, is hard! I have a nervous break down at least once a semester, and then I talk to my parents and they tell me how smart I am and how proud they are. They say, "If college was easy everyone would do it." And they believe in me. For students who are entering college, my advice is work hard ALL week and have fun on the weekends. It is so easy to fall behind in a class. So if you are planning on having a late night out, make sure you finish your work and studying first. And above all do not skip class, because you will reget it.

I have gotten new friends, new identity aka the true identity of myself, a soulmate, great advisors, ambition, ideas, and a positive outlook on life after college. The college experience has helped me to become and independent individual with the ability to take on the responsibillities of life as they are added to my life. High school has nothing on college. College is this wonderful "limbo" for one to figure out things in their life such as, where one might want to live, to study, to make a career out of, and how to network. The college experience means so much to me. Without this experience I do not believe that I would get to where I want be without it. I would have never have left the broken down town I call home. And I certainly would have never found the path I'm supposed to take or the love of my life. The college experience is the gateway to starting my life.

I previously attended The University of Akron, I went there for only one semester. I have been here at WKU, since August 22. The overall feeling of being here at WKU is just amazing, my friends and I discuss how it has the home feeling. My experience here has been by far, the best yet! If you are a freshmen/transfer student they highly recommend this program called :Master Plan. I attended and we got to move in our dorms early and meet new friends, RAs, staff, teachers, and found out where all our classes were. That lets me know, that they really care, they just don’t want to throw you out there to the "wolves!" Knowing that my school cares, makes me feel special and in a way want to achieve even greater things in life. It’s a great feeling to know, that your university has your back, and they really want you to walk across that stage and get your diploma!

My friends and I often discuss how our lives would be different if we would've known in high school what we know now. I would've worked harder to improve my GPA so I could've gotten some scholarships. Honestly, that is the only thing I would change. WKU isn't too big or too small; it's just the right size. It is a party school but I took part in that lifestyle in high school so it wasn't appealing to me anymore once I got to Western. The people I met my first month at WKU will be lifetime friends. My fraternity is very service and academically focused but we still have fun. I recently just finished a cross country bike ride with some of my brothers. We raised $65,000 for the Alzheimer's Association. I would've never had that opportunity if I wasn't who I was in high school. I'm extremely happy with my choices coming into Western Kentucky University.

If I were able to enlighten myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to, most importantly, embark on this once in a lifetime experience and unforgettable journey with an open mind and positive attitude. Too many student came to campus with many pre-conceived thoughts and expectations. Some expected the "college party scene", others believe they already have defined themselves. The past few months I have realized the vast amount of ethnicities, personalities, and various beliefs that did not exist in my rural upbringing. Many students have not been blessed with a loving and caring family as I have been blessed with; it is not uncommon to hear of divorce, abuse, and struggling childhoods. College has not only opened my eyes to the world we are creating, but it has opened my eyes to the world that each of us has a responsibility to correct.

I am back in time as a high school senior. The most important thing to tell myself is to make sure i take the act test again so that i won't have to be in foundation classes. Another thing that i would also tell myself is that when picking out colleges to make sure that i am going somewhere where all my friends are going. i would tell myseif to do scholarships so that i will not have to take out all these loans, when yoou know you cant get finical aid. remember that if you work hard and stay focused in high school then you can go to college and focus even harder. I will also tell myself to keep my grades up so that i can get kees money and scholarships because college is not cheap at all. After everything that i have told myself i have to remember that at college you can have fun after you have done all your work. Work first play later.